• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machine unboxing

That can all be sent via the internet and is a small amount of information.

Besides, I can't see how people modifying the OS would be useful to Valve as something to collect. They're interested in things like stability, usability, compatibility, probably thermals and power usage - all of which is a small amount of information and can be tracked and sent via the internet like pretty much every modern piece of software does now.

I suppose they could look at how the hardware has held up in terms of any heat damage, but they're all standard PC parts, and that sort of stress testing can be done more effectively in a lab.

yeah, see my post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93676101&postcount=91

I'm surprised that he hooked it up to his monitor on his desktop... I'm glad it can still achieve a standard set up, but I don't think that is what valve has in mind when it comes to producing these machines.

Getting ready to steamroll the competition.

u1DHY7E.gif

So what was the point of this again ? It looks like a regular PC in Steam Big Picture Mode too me.

I've been thinking this, but was affraid to say anything lol.

These things feel like a great big "It's fucking nothing" kind of thing.

They are pre-built computers with Steam OS installed...... I don't get it :/

You're not wrong, but it's a mass-market product in development so they want to get it into the hands of people who probably wouldn't go out of their way to set up a new PC with SteamOS.

sekrit

Banned

Let's not make this another "i don't get the point of this" thread again. It has been answered multiple times in other threads before. If you are interested, read the faqs, articles and search for steam machines.

biocat

It irks me that he says he sees the Asus logo but then it's an Asrock logo. I'm pretty sure there are not two motherboards in there.

Let's not make this another "i don't get the point of this" thread again.

Well I've never been in those threads, so I was unaware of it being "Another".

Saying that though, if those threads do always turn into that, then maybe there is a real issue there :/

smr00

Banned
Play some games, don't just use the dashboard. Preferably something intense like Killzone, then get back to me.
you must have a defective ps4 because i have 80+ hours on mine and play KZ and it never gets loud. It's not silent but its in no way shape or form "intense" or loud enough to be a problem in the slightest.

Dude really needs to stop zooming/unzooming the camera and just looking at the goddamn "GEFORCE GTX" for the love of god. He was like, obsessed with it.

bj00rn_

Banned
Let's not make this another "i don't get the point of this" thread again. It has been answered multiple times in other threads before. If you are interested, read the faqs, articles and search for steam machines.

I suspect "I don't get it" is more or less rhetorical. I think most of us get it; Steam OS, Steam Machines, is a clean business decision (nothing wrong with that though) from Valve to centre and position themselves to get more of the cake by entering some new markets (console), and at the same time cutting off some competitors' hands (ironic perhaps..). Exclusive driver optimizations then? For a little while it looked that way, but now we all know low level driver optimizations are coming to Windows also. Anyway, one of the most interesting points is that most of us can just put Steam in Big Picture mode, make it boot to it, and abracadabra; we already have a Steam Machine with Steam OS, sort of.. I for one find it all rather intriguing, I can't quite decide whether Valve is doing a good or a bad thing for gaming here.

Love it! I really really want one.

I hope a lot more games come out for it. I've been having such a huge urge to play Red Orchestra 2 and Total War on my couch.

I for one find it all rather intriguing, I can't quite decide whether Valve is doing a good or a bad thing for gaming here.
Personally I am fascinated in the reception for this vs. the original vision for the Xbox.

Higher price tag than ps4? (almost definitely significantly higher)
Core platform mandates DRM (seems that way) with a 'sharing plan' to soften the blow
Looks a bit like a vcr ;-)

I absolutely get that you can dual boot these to avoid drm, drm is less then every 24h, etc. - but to my simple mind they are at least on the same spectrum yet it's fair to say the response to each has been at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I'm really interested to see where this goes. I am disappointed by the power of both Xbox One and PS4 yet also wary of buying into an ecosystem (pc/steam machine) that has an implicit update cycle of only a small handful of years.

I also think it'll be an interesting disruptive technology to kick Windows up the backside... Let's see how MS react - with a viable non-console gaming OS emerging, it's definitely a threat.

Usual disclaimer: writing from personal perspective not employer's. Views may be unintentionally biased etc.

Bigbillybeef

Neo Member
Personally I am fascinated in the reception for this vs. the original vision for the Xbox.

Higher price tag than ps4? (almost definitely significantly higher)
Core platform mandates DRM (seems that way) with a 'sharing plan' to soften the blow
Looks a bit like a vcr ;-)

I absolutely get that you can dual boot these to avoid drm, drm is less then every 24h, etc. - but to my simple mind they are at least on the same spectrum yet it's fair to say the response to each has been at opposite ends of the spectrum.

This is probably because Steam has a track record of offering good value to customers, whereas console DD stores usually offer a terrible value proposition for it's users.

Nzyme32

Pretty damning in that second video where he says the controller isn't intuitive.

I think almost everyone that has tested has had that impression but then after 30mins its a lot more comfortable. Seems to be that the problem is that the controller is just such a different animal to use. All the reports I read say that its a great controller and super sensitive, just incredibly unfamiliar and hard to get used to

http://kotaku.com/valves-controller-has-been-tested-here-are-some-impre-1415579308

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/04/steam-controller-hands-on-impressions

sekrit

Banned
I think almost everyone that has tested has had that impression but then after 30mins its a lot more comfortable. Seems to be that the problem is that the controller is just such a different animal to use. All the reports I read say that its a great controller and super sensitive, just incredibly unfamiliar and hard to get used to

I don't think there has been anything like the steam controller before. I'm not really surprised how different it must feel.

When i got my xbox controller on PC couple years ago, it was horrible and everything was really difficult to play. Last time i used a controller was when nintendo 64 was a thing. After about 200 hours of Dark Souls and various other games, i finally started to get hang of it.

Nzyme32

I don't think there has been anything like the steam controller before. I'm not really surprised how different it must feel.

When i got my xbox controller on PC couple years ago, it was horrible and everything was really difficult to play. Last time i used a controller was when nintendo 64 was a thing. After about 200 hours of Dark Souls and various other games, i finally started to get hang of it.

I added some links to the previous post

http://kotaku.com/valves-controller-has-been-tested-here-are-some-impre-1415579308

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/11/04/steam-controller-hands-on-impressions

Tommy Refenes gives the most interesting impression. He ultimately originally thought the 360 pad was his go to controller but by the end said that the only reason he'd still choose a 360 controller over the steam controller is because "its more familiar", and if all other controllers were wiped off the face of the earth, people using the steam controller "wouldn't miss a beat".

Edit: For me getting used to the N64 for controller was quite exciting actually. Super Mario 64 did a great job of introducing a gentle touch for creeping, and spinning bowser around as well. good times!

Top Bottom