• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machine unboxing

Nice! Do the Linux versions of games maintain their 360 button prompts? I'd assume they do, right?

It was only regarding BPM interface, but I think I read it somewhere that the prompts change accordingly to what you're using at a given time. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for games, with kb&m, X360 and SC (once it gets properly supported).

Nzyme32

Smaller than an Xbox One. lol

Beautiful. With Steam Boxes popularizing the small form factor PC's for the living room, I hope hardware manufactures open their eyes and see a potential growth in this part of the market. Currently, there are only a very limited selection of ITX motherboards and SFF cases compared to mATX and such. It's disappointing.

If we see some component manufacturers as part of the partners at CES, that would speak volumes as far as thought into the idea of living room PCs goes. They have teased some components may come out:

Verge said:
When I ask whether Intel or AMD might make special chips to bring down the price of truly powerful integrated graphics, the room goes quiet for a moment. "We don’t have an answer that we can give you before January," the team answers.

Nice! Do the Linux versions of games maintain their 360 button prompts? I'd assume they do, right?

Yeah, the linux kernel has built in support for most game controllers just plug in a 360 controller or dongle and go in pretty much any version of linux in the last few years. Most games like Meat Boy and FEZ and whatnot work flawlessly with it and have all the prompts.

Yeah, the linux kernel has built in support for most game controllers just plug in a 360 controller or dongle and go in pretty much any version of linux in the last few years. Most games like Meat Boy and FEZ and whatnot work flawlessly with it and have all the prompts.

Is it the same with DS too? I mean the prompts. Or would devs have to imlement it? There seems to be this buzz that DS4 will be the most popular controller for PC.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They aren't planning on doing so at the moment.

The plan is to let OEMs with more experience make the boxes, but I'm hoping they one day have their own "nexus"-esque line of steam machines.

Valve's always intended to release its own Steam Machine:

I don't think they'll be sold at retail, though; more likely is that they'll be purchased through the Valve Store as a made-to-order product, similar to Dell though perhaps without the options to change certain hardware.

Well, they changed their minds it seems. Pretty sure during the press blowout more than one reported Valve don't intend to sell them.

sekrit

Banned
There will be valve branded and designed devices but they aren't building them themselves. Only the controller is built by valve in-house.

JaseC

Well, they changed their minds it seems. Pretty sure during the press blowout more than one reported Valve don't intend to sell them.

I think the phrasing in the following excerpt from The Verge's Steam Machine feature published last month has caused some confusion:

I don't believe that the middle portion of the paragraph means Valve isn't intending to release its own machine at all, but rather it's in reference to the prototype units specifically.

hmm looking it up only Engadget went into more specifics, the others like WP, just said "you proly never buy, this is for test only":

Take a good hard look at Valve's Steam Machine, because it's the last time you'll see it. Er, something like that. Only 300 of the metal beast above will ship to beta testers, and then Valve says it's cutting off its own supply of Steam Machines. "We're really building this as a test platform, and there are many machines that are gonna be made by third-parties. They're the ones that will be available commercially in 2014," Valve designer Greg Coomer told Engadget.

We couldn't help but push Coomer one more time on availability of the box outside of beta:

"Really we just wanna have confidence that all the customers on Steam are having enough options, and that the price/performance spectrum is as fleshed out as Steam customers want it to be. And right now, the indications that we have from the lineup that we're gonna be talking about at CES, is that they are gonna have enough choice. So we're gonna continue to treat this as a test platform and see how that goes."

stevil

I've been thinking this, but was affraid to say anything lol.

These things feel like a great big "It's fucking nothing" kind of thing.

They are pre-built computers with Steam OS installed...... I don't get it :/

So the same as the x1 or ps4. X1 is a pre build metro Windows 8 box. Consoles are like phones this generation all the same basics so it is about the games and price

stevil

I'm convinced you people have a different definition of loud or you're living in some arctic environment.
I've already spoken to several others about this and read enough posts online, I'm pretty confident this is Sony fans unwilling to concede anything could be bad with the console at all.

Killzone most definitely drives PS4 fan noise up to PS3 slim stage 2 of 3 levels, I haven't heard it as loud as 3/3 but it's not far from it.
This "you must have a faulty PS4" stuff is cobblers.

EDIT: it's about 72f in Melbourne, inside my apartment now as summer is about to start,... it's not even close to proper warm yet. I've already ordered 2 silent, external fans to try to keep the thing quieter. Why the fuck they couldn't build it 10% bigger and focus on noise is beyond me, I get it's stylish but it's almost arguably too small.
Didn't feel like the PS 3 slim was noisy at least far more silent than xbox 360. Maybe it could be your setup, I'm not joking it could be it depends on location etc

JaseC

hmm looking it up only Engadget went into more specifics, the others like WP, just said "you proly never buy, this is for test only":

Ah, interesting. It seems as though Valve has somewhat distanced itself from the idea of releasing its own Steam Machine and will be looking at how Steam users react to third-party offerings to inform a final decision.

Ah, interesting. It seems as though Valve has somewhat distanced itself from the idea of releasing its own Steam Machine and will be looking at how Steam users react to third-party offerings to inform a final decision.

They probably don't want to compete with OEMs because they're counting on their support. Time will tell if SteamOS will need a "Nexus" device.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wait. Team Meat likes playing SMB with the controller? Are there any videos of someone playing a platformer like SMB, FEZ, Binding of Issac, Braid, etc? I'd be most interested in that. I mean not that I couldn't just use my 360 controller for those games. I'd be curious how the Steam controller plays with those.

Also, Minecraft would be a curiosity. I know it's not on a Steam, but you can still install it and add it to your list if you want. So I'd be curious to see how it works if possible. Since the trackpad control stick things can act as both a mouse and buttons.

Nzyme32

Valve's always intended to release its own Steam Machine:

I don't think they'll be sold at retail, though; more likely is that they'll be purchased through the Valve Store as a made-to-order product, similar to Dell though perhaps without the options to change certain hardware.

That was a year ago. Not to say it will not happen but they already backed away from some of their claims. Biometrics are no longer part of the controller but now part of their VR project, with skin galvanic sensors at the ear lobe

Edit - just seen your other posts, could be that they got some extra partners in between and felt it was in their best interests to step back for now

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
When can we expect these to be available? I definitely want the $500 model from ibuypower. That's a great entry price for me to get into PC gaming cause no way in hell am I telling the wife I want to blow $800-$1,000 on a PC for videogames. We already have a PC that handles our needs. But this, this is different. My Trojan horse that I can then upgrade as I see fit.

I'm very excited about this.

Oh and I could not stop staring at that frowning speaker in the first unboxing video.

Durante

I wonder if the revers 16x PCIe riser they use is available anywhere?

What's under the gpu
CK8j6UY.jpg

I'd really want to have that case thank you please give it to me.
Neat. The air channel/GPU rest doubles as a power cable conduit.

Even mid-tier PC are still much louder than consoles though. I'm not a console enthusiast by any means, but the few times I've played my brother's PS3 it's really impressive just how quiet it is.
That's the problem with making statements about "PCs" in general -- my high-end PC is whisper quiet. Of course it's also huge. PCs can be as quiet or as loud as you want them to be. The only hard thing is if you want very fast, cheap, small and quiet at the same time.

Nzyme32

Wait. Team Meat likes playing SMB with the controller? Are there any videos of someone playing a platformer like SMB, FEZ, Binding of Issac, Braid, etc? I'd be most interested in that. I mean not that I couldn't just use my 360 controller for those games. I'd be curious how the Steam controller plays with those.

Also, Minecraft would be a curiosity. I know it's not on a Steam, but you can still install it and add it to your list if you want. So I'd be curious to see how it works if possible. Since the trackpad control stick things can act as both a mouse and buttons.

He blogged about it a fair amount of detail: http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

Ultimately he ends up saying its a great start but there is work to be done. He would choose the 360 pad over the steam pad simply out of familiarity, and if all controllers are wiped of the planet and only the steam pad was left, gaming wouldn't miss a beat.

I'd call it pretty dam high praise from someone who seems anal over controllers

I wish Valve had made a few more of these units to give to some of the gaming press. We would be getting more, better quality videos right now. And more in depth discussion about the controller etc.

Anyway, the design of the machine is great. Really excited about CES now.

I'm not sure the press can be trusted with a beta. They might do some first impressions and not touch it again for a long time.

When can we expect these to be available? I definitely want the $500 model from ibuypower. That's a great entry price for me to get into PC gaming cause no way in hell am I telling the wife I want to blow $800-$1,000 on a PC for videogames. We already have a PC that handles our needs. But this, this is different. My Trojan horse that I can then upgrade as I see fit.

I'm very excited about this.

Oh and I could not stop staring at that frowning speaker in the first unboxing video.

I mostly haven't heard good things about iBuyPower, so you might want to watch out for other potential console-priced models at CES.

Nymerio

If I ever get one I'm junking the controller for a ps4 or wired 360 one.....no analog sticks kill it.

I understand people being skeptic about the controller, but I don't get how you can be this dismissive about it. Nothing interesting has been happening in gaming for years and when a company tries to do something different they get laughed at because their controller doesn't look exactly like everyone else's. I'd think people would at least give them the benefit of the doubt with the track record they have. I'm fairly certain that if the controller is as bad as people think it will be, valve would have been first to toss it and go for something better.

ViciousDS

Banned
I understand people being skeptic about the controller, but I don't get how you can be this dismissive about it. Nothing interesting has been happening in gaming for years and when a company tries to do something different they get laughed at because their controller doesn't look exactly like everyone else's. I'd think people would at least give them the benefit of the doubt with the track record they have. I'm fairly certain that if the controller is as bad as people think it will be, valve would have been first to toss it and go for something better.

Never said it was bad.....but I hate touch controls period for movement and aiming...doesn't matter how good the controller may be. If I'm going to use something for mouse movements I'll just plug a dang mouse and keyboard in. Never in my post did I say it was a bad controller I just said it has no analog sticks therefor I would never use it....it's an opinion.

Nzyme32

Never said it was bad.....but I hate touch controls period for movement and aiming...doesn't matter how good the controller may be. If I'm going to use something for mouse movements I'll just plug a dang mouse and keyboard in. Never in my post did I say it was a bad controller I just said it has no analog sticks therefor I would never use it....it's an opinion.

Most impressions I've read about have grown to like it, relating to it as more of a virtual trackball than a touch interface. Each to their own, but if you get a machine and the controller came free, it seems foolish to just bin it without giving it a chance when there has yet to be a bad impression of it functionally. All the bad stuff is about hard it is to get used to http://tommyrefenes.tumblr.com/post/62476523677/my-time-with-the-steam-controller

Watched all his vids, looks better than I expected. I was also amused he kept calling the ASRock mobo Asus, yes I know they used to be the same company.

wizzbang

Banned
Or there is just a variance between production of ps4s. It happens. My ps4 is not loud and even if you put your ear up to it it's quieter than my PS3 slim. I have an Xbox One too and it's not loud at all when running. Yet there were a few people with loud fans. They returned the X1s and their replacements weren't as loud. So clearly not all production of consoles are 100% the same.

I've confirmed with a pal, I've got 2 PS4's in my house right now, it's very damn simple to test, fire up Killzone, new game, let the cutscene end and get back on the bed, look out the window. Now put your controller face down in a position which forces the screen to spin (thrashing the GPU) - the fan will kick in within 45 seconds.

Oh and I've fixed the problem, the idiots who claim it's noisier upright? Yeah, no - not at all. The fan is on the right side of the PS4, if you put it so the blu ray is at the bottom of the PS4 (power cable at the top) the hot air generated at the top escapes at the top. I've also regrettably added a ducting fan to my TV cabinet.

Nymerio

Sure it's your opinion and from what trackpads and touchscreens I've used I'd have to say I don't like them either as input methods. I may have misinterpreted you but my point still stands. There are so many people who just dismiss the controller even though most developers who've tried it have been very positive about it. I just can't stand it when people dismiss things without even trying them. There are tons of things I would have missed if I didn' try them but I guess that's just a difference in attitude.

DrZeus

Interesting that we finally get to see these in people's hands. The thing I am taking away from the footage thus far is how much I already wanted a small form factor pc. Can't wait til these become available so I can decide upon building my own vs buying one instead.

I will just plug my DS4 or 360 controller into the steam machine to play FPS / TPS / RPG's / adventure games and such. I will use this controller when playing games like Rome Total War or something that needs that touchpad feel for more responsive mouse cursor movement.

The first thing I noticed about the unboxing, besides the amazing case it came in, was the fact he hooked it up to a monitor. Immediately bothered me considering the main reason for SteamOS and the steam machines was to put the PC into the living room.

I'm going to buy the controller for sure. I have my PC set up to work in two rooms and will use the controller in the room where the PC isn't.

The steam controller I will probably buy one day if it gets good reviews. I have a wired 360 currently and thats the single best controller I've ever used for PC gaming. So I wont buy the Steam controller just because, but only if its better.

JaseC

That was a year ago. Not to say it will not happen but they already backed away from some of their claims. Biometrics are no longer part of the controller but now part of their VR project, with skin galvanic sensors at the ear lobe

The article doesn't categorically state that biometrics were to be part of the Steam Controller, just that Valve had been experimenting with biometric-based input devices, and Gabe was non-committal about continuing to head down this route ("I think you’ll see controllers coming from us that use a lot of biometric data"); there's a distinction to make there. Valve's intention to sell its own Steam Machine appears to be the only certainty that it's stepped back from.

Nzyme32

The article doesn't categorically state that biometrics were to be part of the Steam Controller, just that Valve had been experimenting with biometric-based input devices, and Gabe was non-committal about continuing to head down this route ("I think you’ll see controllers coming from us that use a lot of biometric data"); there's a distinction to make there. Valve's intention to sell its own Steam Machine appears to be the only certainty that it's stepped back from.

Ah sorry, I was referring to this:

JaseC

Ah sorry, I was referring to this:

Yeah, I know, but the interview from which I quoted predates that one. I don't think there's much of a distinction to make between "I think you'll see biometric controllers from us" and "We wanted to the controller to be based around biometrics but found this infeasible" -- unlike Gabe's comment regarding Valve selling its own Steam Machine, a biometrics-based controller was never presented as anything more than a possibility.

Edit: On the subject of the Steam Controller, if Valve starts selling them before Microsoft releases PC drivers for the X1 controller, I'll likely opt for it instead, depending on the price.

Nzyme32

Yeah, I know, but the interview from which I quoted predates that one. I don't think there's much of a distinction to make between "I think you'll see biometric controllers from us" and "We wanted to the controller to be based around biometrics but found this infeasible" -- unlike Gabe's comment regarding Valve selling its own Steam Machine, a biometrics-based controller was never presented as anything more than a possibility.

Edit: On the subject of the Steam Controller, if Valve starts selling them before Microsoft releases PC drivers for the X1 controller, I'll likely opt for it instead, depending on the price.

Ah gotcha. I can't remember where I read it but there was word that Valve would take the hit for the cost of the Steam Controllers being supplied with steam machines. May well be a bit too do with trying to get widespread adoption

Top Bottom