• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Inescapable -- MB-9AB511DCE8DC334D - Taken by zerokoolpsx. 8 entrants total.

t1400926382z1.png

fantomena

I have personally stopped pre-ordering games after all the shit that came with Aliens: CM and BF4.

I will also look after user/GAF critics more than reviewers. Because, why should I use money on a game which I have no idea how the game will be?

Edit: Talking about Watch Dogs.

Durante

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Legend of Grimrock -- MB-DE1AB499BC891747 - Taken by Atraveller
(From the daily bundle, enjoy)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't want this in my PC games! :(

They actually got me curious and I looked up the game, seems they planned Alan Wake: Night Springs but it got never released?

Night Springs is essentially the Alan Wake fiction's Twilight Zone. The game boxes are just a bit of a gag. It did inspire American Nightmare, though.

Edit: To clarify, AN is what you're referring to. The existence of a Night Springs spin-off was just erroneous speculation following the release of an AN teaser that was titled "Night Springs".

Jusoni

Any Tropico veterans around? Should I get Tropico 4 for cheap, or cough up the bucks for Tropico 5? I enjoyed the first Tropico very much and some how I've passed on all the sequels.

Durante

Any Tropico veterans around? Should I get Tropico 4 for cheap, or cough up the bucks for Tropico 5? I enjoyed the first Tropico very much and some how I've passed on all the sequels.
I haven't played much of 5 yet (seems pretty good), but in terms of what you get for the price, if you never played 4 before it's probably the better deal. Especially if you haven't played 3 either, since the major criticism usually leveled at 4 is that it's not sufficiently different from 3.

_hekk05

Banned

Supposedly there's a lot of bullshit DLCs. So if you want a good tropico experience, go for the complete edition of 4, then buy 5 if you like the series and when there's a complete edition

Exalted

Looking for advice. I want to limit max fps for a game, i can't hit constant 60fps (50-80fps) , so i'm wondering what is bether or if there is actually any diference between 40 and 45 fps if i have a 60hz monitor. What scales bether 2/3 of 60 or 3/4 of 60 or is there no diference?

JaseC

Green Light Bundle sent out keys for Muffin Knight a few hours ago. Check your inbox if you haven't already.

Night Springs is essentially the Alan Wake fiction's Twilight Zone. The game boxes are just a bit of a gag. It did inspire American Nightmare, though.

Edit: To clarify, AN is what you're referring to. The existence of a Night Springs spin-off was just erroneous speculation following the release of an AN teaser that was titled "Night Springs".

So the Night Springs episodes that came with the game should be watched before playing?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So the Night Springs episodes that came with the game should be watched before playing?

Nah, Night Springs episodes can be found on the TVs in the game, except for one which was a 'lost' episode. They should be watched in the game, as they're kind of related to the events going on in the game loosely.

apparently the .ini with Killer is Dead has ALL the values, including damage, etc

so, the revive doesnt work cause you gotta button mash twice as fast at 60fps.. so you just double the values on the ini

C4C05B1C817BCD100C86880F7EDBEC1DBDF9F1B4

lazy as shit, but hey

I supposed something like that. So you can also cheat I guess xD What about the game in general? If everything is running at double speed does it make it more difficult?

edit: noticed now I'm not junior anymore, yay

alstein

I don't know AMD isn't that bad. Well it might be in the gaming sense for some titles but if you do a lot if rendering or GPU compute viable tasks I've noticed better performance with OpenCL over CUDA. Plus the lure of coin mining still holds true. And who wouldn't want their crypto currency with that adorable doge on it.

AMD might be good for strategy games this gen due to Mantle (Oxide Engine will use that- and it's likely that Civ VI and Stardock will both use Mantle for the next new projects)

AMD cards have given me more issues overall than NVidia cards throughout my laptops.

DocSeuss

Tropico 5 feels a bit rough right now, as much as I'm enjoying it. I--and many people I know--believe that Tropico 4 is awesome and everyone should play it.

I haven't played much of 5 yet (seems pretty good), but in terms of what you get for the price, if you never played 4 before it's probably the better deal. Especially if you haven't played 3 either, since the major criticism usually leveled at 4 is that it's not sufficiently different from 3.

It's funny, because they used most of the same assets, people complain that it's a moderate upgrade, but the game's massively improved from Tropico 3. The fundamentals are the same, but there are so many massive changes, it's kind of surprising that people level that claim.

Anyone who spends substantial time with both games, more than, say, a couple hours, will notice how drastic the changes are. I think the complaints were largely coming from people who simply had not played Tropico 3 for a long while, but remembered the look and aesthetics. Tropico 4 adds a ton of stuff, like better menus, more buildings, the diplomacy elements, more countries to interact with, the side-mission component, etc. The "put buildings here, do roads like this, focus on tourism, plants, or industry" element didn't change much, but all the minutae did.

Supposedly there's a lot of bullshit DLCs. So if you want a good tropico experience, go for the complete edition of 4, then buy 5 if you like the series and when there's a complete edition

Some of the DLC is kinda essential, but at the $5 price point they released, it was a bit silly. I like the game enough that I more or less got every DLC on release.

JaseC

I know you mean that as joke response, but I think [Valve's hard stance against adult/AO-rated games] changed recently, or will change, given this (from the app report form):

Adult Content - Contains adult content that isn't appropriately labeled and age-gated

And this (present on Steam's servers):

esrb_ao.gif

Manhunt 2, where art thou?

More evidence: a "has_adult_content" flag popped up a few weeks ago and has been applied to just over a dozen apps thus far.

Tizoc

Helping a GAFfer out
ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

They breathe -- MB-EDC6ACBED2DD7A4C

t1401020903z1.png

Yeah, the whole debacle with the reddit user stealing HolyFridge's screenshots and making up nonsense about a hidden setting was hilarious. Playing the game at 4K is the secret sauce :p

Was amusing seeing so many on gaf believe it though, I tried to do my part by linking to the screenshot thread but not many seemed to notice :/

What did I miss? What was the secret setting he was talking about?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
More evidence: a "has_adult_content" flag popped up a few weeks ago and has been applied to just over a dozen apps thus far.

I am intrigued.

What could they possibly be applied to? Looking at the wikipedia list, it's hard to imagine anyone pushing particularly hard for the Steam release of any of those titles. Maybe Mahunt 2, Indigo Prophecy and Playboy Mansion? Oh, and Seduce Me was pulled from Greenlight for being explicit.

Maybe that Kickstarted connect three game, HuniePop.

I also have to say, I really didn't think Steam would ever dip into AO titles. I figured it would be a legal sinkhole of time and money, and no sane employee would want to manage it. Especially since it's hard to imagine it being all that profitable or healthy for their reputation.

JaseC

I am intrigued.

What could they possibly be applied to? Looking at the wikipedia list, it's hard to imagine anyone pushing particularly hard for the Steam release of any of those titles. Maybe Mahunt 2, Indigo Prophecy and Playboy Mansion? Oh, and Seduce Me was pulled from Greenlight for being explicit.

Maybe that Kickstarted connect three game, HuniePop.

I also have to say, I really didn't think Steam would ever dip into AO titles. I figured it would be a legal sinkhole of time and money, and no sane employee would want to manage it. Especially since it's hard to imagine it being all that profitable or healthy for their reputation.

Indigo Prophecy was on Steam initially. It was pulled because publishing rights reverted back to Quantic Dream and while it was put back on GOG, QD can't be bothered to do the same with Steam.

Edit: Oh, the listing is in reference to the "Director's Cut".

Tak3n

Banned
My 6 year old loves muffin knight on android. If anyone has no interest in the steam version key they got from the bundle I would be happy to take it for him...

ModBot said:
Instructions for nightstorm:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Little inferno -- MB-58D4AD6348E0E7CF

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a sneaking suspicion another thing the AO rating could help contribute too is some of those visual novels Steam has been getting recently. Saya no Uta, please.

Why would Steam suddenly show interest in curating the store again? They already allow everything, only showing signs of life when there's a community backlash against something on the store(e.g. WarZ/Infestation: Survivor Stories).

To disallow a game because of an age rating but allow the tidal wave of mediocrity that is currently hitting Steam would be a strange move for Valve, to say the least.

Kiru

To disallow a game because of an age rating but allow the tidal wave of mediocrity that is currently hitting Steam would be a strange move for Valve, to say the least.

I don't think they will disallow games with this. They just want to inform people about huge dildos used as weapons in the game they are about to buy, lol.

Dr Dogg

True, but there are all sorts of small things that mar the experience considerably.
Look at it this way - JaseC wouldn't be able to run new Wolf if he switched cards at anything above 15 fps.

AMD might be good for strategy games this gen due to Mantle (Oxide Engine will use that- and it's likely that Civ VI and Stardock will both use Mantle for the next new projects)

AMD cards have given me more issues overall than NVidia cards throughout my laptops.

Personal, if you're going pure gaming with your PC the decision is easy, Team Green all the way. Might cost more money in terms of raw performance and components you get but Nvidia have better driver support, better additional hardware and software dependent features and is a lot more accessible to tweak things through driver manipulation. It's if you have a multi use PC that the benefits of an AMD card can shine.

I've dumped ATI/AMD for gaming uses back in 2001 but when Adobe CS6 took advantage of OpenCL pretty much every computer at work swapped over and in turn productivity shot up. Of course Joe Blogs who only deals in a handful of layer Photoshop projects isn't going to see much benefit but when you're dealing with 100+ layer files with lots of raster effects going on combined in a 200+ page publication with multiple amounts of these kind of files it's the difference between getting home before it's dark or costing the company a small fortune in overtime.

ironic, right?

Watch_Dogs: Everything's Connected*

*except our DRM servers that those rascally rascals circumnavigated but we still foist upon legitimate customers.

I have a bad feeling that Wolf 2014 is going to share the same fate as Wolf 2009. Which is that it will be underappreciated, it will underperform in sales and will possibly lead to the death of the franchise (which I am certain was it's fate had the rights stayed with Activision). And that would be a crying shame because this is one incredibly awesome shooter.

Santiako

I've been having a blast with Divine Divinity. I played like 8 hours in the last two days. Now hoping some more Divinity 2 modbot giveaways appear so I can win that, I spent the last 2 bucks in my cc in the base bundle. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom