• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
that star wars deal is pretty darn tempting

edit: looks like they removed shadows of the empire from the collection. wonder if that is why the price went down a bit.

dot

i haven't even played the first Darksiders yet

i heard there's spooders or something? how bad is it?

Jawmuncher

Real Talk: the CG trailer almost looks like it was made ages ago. Like back when THQ was still around. Like it was meant to be a teaser for back then.

Well, Darksiders was mentioned in "show me the absolute WORST character design you can think of" thread, so nothing surprising.

The designs look fine to me. I think it's more to do with if you like the art style or not
49553_screen_shots_wa1tjwf.jpg

2_1329242659_previewqpagv.jpg

NeoRaider

Real Talk: the CG trailer almost looks like it was made ages ago. Like back when THQ was still around. Like it was meant to be a teaser for back then.

But i still liked it for some reason. I agree about Fury not looking good. But i still think that it's nice teaser/trailer.

Regginator

How is Underrail? When it released I heard some people say "it's the real Fallout 3", but I'm not sure how much hyperbole that was... It's the only one from the bundle I want.

Marvellous delivering upgraded character models on a port from a PS Vita only game, while Koei Tecmo still continues to deliver weird Frankenstein ports with PS4 port available...

Marvelous is trying to make good Steam ports, but it still hasn't touched porting the Harvest Moons it owns, or Story of Seasons. Then again, if it did, would we even have Stardew Valley?

Kifimbo

Just realized the studio behind They Bleed Pixels has not released another game since. And their next one, Russian Subway Dogs, was a failure on Kickstarter.

cyba89

Nice try, but I definitely won't buy any Nier DLC before they decide to fix the game for a start.

here's my unpopular opinion

all the darksiders designs look lame :I

True.
Doesn't change the fact that the first one is a pretty good game.

xezuru

The designs look fine to me. I think it's more to do with if you like the art style or not

While I think Darksiders designs are kind of mediocre, what they lack in definitive silhouettes, which is a fucking lot, at least with the old designs they had some kind of color/shape identity. Because Darksiders 1 wasn't a loot game, War would always be the red hooded warrior and be distinct, Not many purple skinned skull faces around the world either. But Fury doesn't really have color palette or any identifying features, unless you count "big hair", she kinda just looks like a failed WH40k elf concept, they could've at least gave her some colors or glowing armor bits or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
here's my unpopular opinion

all the darksiders designs look lame :I

as usual proving you have absolute no taste. Then again, you are a LoL player afterall.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of ThirtyFour, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ThirtyFour, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hacknet -- MB-492D8FBCBF14E9BF - Taken by sadblob. 12 entrants total.
The Deadly Tower of Monsters -- MB-AB4D57A9FA95034E - Taken by Jadax. 19 entrants total.

t1493765944z1.png

How is Underrail? When it released I heard some people say "it's the real Fallout 3", but I'm not sure how much hyperbole that was... It's the only one from the bundle I want.

I nearly finished it (the last part of the game sucked so bad that I dropped it, but that was a while ago) and that's a huge hyperbole.

It's a decent game and definitely worth a try, but in terms of liberty, possibilities and writing it comes nowhere close to fallout 1, 2, NV or Arcanum. The focus of the gameplay is different, it's far more about exploring huge dungeons with minimal resources (without a freakin map), sneaking around enemies that are too powerful for you and lots of combat. There isn't an awful lot of talking yourself out of situations in it.
Also it feels very amateurish at times: the writing ranges from average to plain bad, the dev wasn't able to include a map and the game looks worse than games that came out more than 20 years ago. On the other hand, the combat, XP system, exploration and worldbuilding are pretty good.
I'd rate it 3 stars out of 5.

Purkake4

Banned
I nearly finished it (the last part of the game sucked so bad that I dropped it, but that was a a while ago) and that's a huge hyperbole.

It's a decent game and definitely worth a try, but in terms of liberty, possibilities and writing it comes nowhere close to fallout 1, 2, NV or Arcanum. The focus of the gameplay is different, it's far more about exploring huge dungeons (without a freakin map) with minimal resources, sneaking around enemies that are too powerful for you and lots of combat. There isn't an awful lot of talking yourself out of situations in it.
Also it feels very amateurish at times: the writing ranges from average to plain bad, the dev wasn't able to include a map and the game looks worse than games that came out more than 20 years ago.
A good way to say it is that it's a mechanics focused Fallout 2. There's a barebones story that's serviceable, but not exactly Obsidian-tier. Where the game shines is the exploration, the amazing crafting and the tough tactical combat system. You will regularly be in very tough situations and forced to use all your skills, items and options to just barely make your way through.

Worth a try for every cRPG fan.

PS. Curious Expedition is great as well.

Regginator

I nearly finished it (the last part of the game sucked so bad that I dropped it, but that was a while ago) and that's a huge hyperbole.

It's a decent game and definitely worth a try, but in terms of liberty, possibilities and writing it comes nowhere close to fallout 1, 2, NV or Arcanum. The focus of the gameplay is different, it's far more about exploring huge dungeons with minimal resources (without a freakin map), sneaking around enemies that are too powerful for you and lots of combat. There isn't an awful lot of talking yourself out of situations in it.
Also it feels very amateurish at times: the writing ranges from average to plain bad, the dev wasn't able to include a map and the game looks worse than games that came out more than 20 years ago. On the other hand, the combat, XP system and worldbuilding are pretty good.

A good way to say it is that it's a mechanics focused Fallout 2. There's a barebones story that's serviceable, but not exactly Obsidian-tier. Where the game shines is the exploration, the amazing crafting and the tough tactical combat system. You will regularly be in very tough situations and forced to use all your skills, items and options to just barely make your way through.

Worth a try for every cRPG fan.

PS. Curious Expedition is great as well.

Thanks to both for your input, a shame to hear the story doesn't come close. I think I'll pass for the time being, I still have Wasteland 2 in my backlog which I think is very similar (?).

FLD

i haven't even played the first Darksiders yet

i heard there's spooders or something? how bad is it?

There's an entire spider-themed dungeon but it has the same 90s comic book art style as the rest of the game. Maybe image google it to be sure but, from what I remember, they don't really look like real spiders. I can't imagine it being an issue unless you're very arachnophobic.

Durante

Microsoft has now confirmed that Windows 10 S is a version of Windows that only runs Windows Store "apps".

Earlier than expected, but Tim Sweeney is totally insane right?

Purkake4

Banned
Thanks to both for your input, a shame to hear the story doesn't come close. I think I'll pass for the time being, I still have Wasteland 2 in my backlog which I think is very similar (?).
Honestly, I'd take Underrail over W2 any day of the week. Underrail knows what it wants to do and does that, W2 does kind of everything and ends up with formulaic character builds and uninspired combat.

Salsa

Tower of Deadly Monsters is good

and it's 50 percent because of the charm and how it nails what its going for and 50 percent because it's really snappy

otherwise it'd legit be a bad game. there's not much there but its done in a satisfying manner

Microsoft has now confirmed that Windows 10 S is a version of Windows that only runs Windows Store "apps".

It's really troubling how people cannot see what Microsoft is doing.

MS is not going to suddenly and randomly kill Win32 one fine day like cartoon villains. But they are slowly chipping away at it. They will get there over the course of the next few years and OS iterations. And as a PC gamer it's terrifying how much functionality and choice they can take away from us if they succeed.

The people who call Tim Sweeney a crackpot are nuts. He is just looking seven steps ahead of where we are right now and the people who talk shit about him are either unable to see that far ahead or are deliberately closing their eyes to it. And on GAF, where people feel close and personal connections to the pieces of silicon that run their games, you have to think many fall in the latter category.

Werd

I'm sure it helped that I'm a baseball fan, but I really thought the mechanics of Super Mega Baseball were well done and had a lot of fun with the game, definitely give it a shot if you have any interest.

duppolo

It's really troubling how people cannot see what Microsoft is doing.

MS is not going to suddenly and randomly kill Win32 one fine day like cartoon villains. But they are slowly chipping away at it. They will get there over the course of the next few years and OS iterations. And as a PC gamer it's terrifying how much functionality and choice they can take away from us if they succeed.

The people who call Tim Sweeney a crackpot are nuts. He is just looking seven steps ahead of where we are right now and the people who talk shit about him are either unable to see that far ahead or are deliberately closing their eyes to it. And on GAF, where people feel close and personal connections to the pieces of silicon that run their games, you have to think many fall in the latter category.

for that time ill have linux installed and maybe i will be a father

derFeef

Tower of Deadly Monsters is good

and it's 50 percent because of the charm and how it nails what its going for and 50 percent because it's really snappy

otherwise it'd legit be a bad game. there's not much there but its done in a satisfying manner

That sounds like an ACE Team game allright.
Fuck I want a new Zeno Clash now.

dot

There's an entire spider-themed dungeon but it has the same 90s comic book art style as the rest of the game. Maybe image google it to be sure but, from what I remember, they don't really look like real spiders. I can't imagine it being an issue unless you're very arachnophobic.

oh okay

I can handle some to an extent. Like the ones in Nioh weren't too bad lol.

Guess i'll do a playthrough soon after i finish up Nier...

for that time ill have linux installed and maybe i will be a father

Linux adoption (from the developers' side) is not going to be where it needs to be to provide a viable alternative to Windows. SteamOS seems to be on life support right now, Vulkan is treated as an experimental oddity rather than a viable alternative to Direct3D and last I heard AMD didn't even have half decent Linux drivers at all.

Linux has come a long way in the last 5-7 years but again, it's nowhere near where it needs to be for Microsoft to give a damn about the competition.

def sim

Darksiders looks like a Todd McFarlane joint. The look isn't my bag, but I don't think it's a problem when playing the actual game.

Finally reached ending C in Nier. Didn't have time to check out D and E though.
The voice acting in this game is fucking incredible.

duppolo

Linux adoption (from the developers' side) is not going to be where it needs to be to provide a viable alternative to Windows. SteamOS seems to be on life support right now, Vulkan is treated as an experimental oddity rather than a viable alternative to Direct3D and last I heard AMD didn't even have half decent Linux drivers at all.

Linux has come a long way in the last 5-7 years but again, it's nowhere near where it needs to be for Microsoft to give a damn about the competition.

trust the echonomic laws. if there will be someone who will want something, that something will exist

zkylon

zkylewd
True.
Doesn't change the fact that the first one is a pretty good game.
i gave darksiders 1 a try not so long ago and everything i saw was a turnoff for me heh

just the way it controlled and looked and like the huge shoulderpads and comicbook seriousness just rubs me the wrong way

like i hear it's kinda like zelda, which sounds interesting, but it really felt charm-less to me

Mivey

At least they named it properly. I'm assuming the S stands for what I think it stands for.

Purkake4

Banned

Zero surprise over here, the writing was on the wall. I hope everyone can see MS's future course now.

Boy this thread is moving faster than usual today.

Rickenslacker, are you okay?
Of course, why wouldn't I be?

j0QhEAw.gif

ANIME WINS AGAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUwblHRYaFc

Valkyrie Drive is coming to PC! And apparently its not just going to be a resolution and framerate upgrade!
IMPROVED CHARACTER MODELS
Oh. Cool. More anime cheesecake brawling. I only know one thing about Valkyrie Drive, and that trailer is missing it.

18eKfAp.gif

trust the echonomic laws. if there will be someone who will want something, that something will exist

Well let's hope that's true. I really do wish Valve would start working on SteamOS seriously again. They have the resources and talent to push Vulkan along and the clout to get hardware vendors to work on it too. There's still the problem of getting an entire industry with education and experience in DirectX to consider switching to the alternative.

The only other option is to hope Microsoft doesn't fuck everything up by the time they deprecate Win32. What a fun thought.

Wrath (that is his name, right?) has always kinda looked like a rejected design of Arthas from World of Warcraft. It's been the only reason I like him at all.

But, hey, any excuse to show Arthas wielding Frostmourne is OK by me.
like srsly katarina doesn't have a whip, she has double daggers

don't bring up my dear league of legends if you don't know anything you FOOLS

plsss

Oh, puh-leez. You know Fury will have a move where she spins like a top and kills everything around her.

There will be comparison videos made.
Happy birthday and thank you!

Any opinions on Expedition: Vikings?

I want to buy it so badly... but haven't beaten Zelda or Persona 5 yet so I don't think I'm allowed.

'Tis a tough life.

But I've been reading user reviews, and the one major complaint is bugginess. But the devs are working on it.

Mikurden

Darksiders looks like a Todd McFarlane joint. The look isn't my bag, but I don't think it's a problem when playing the actual game.

Wrong comic book artist -- as a big Joe Madureira fan, I'm not that crazy about the Darksiders art/designs and he tweeted that he's not directly involved in DS3 aside from having worked on Fury's concept, but I much prefer his BattleChasers work.

Eila

Oh. Cool. More anime cheesecake brawling. I only know one thing about Valkyrie Drive, and that trailer is missing it.

18eKfAp.gif

i believe the animu is completely different from the game. Characters and everything.
I-it's not like I watched it or anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom