• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo

Why are people calling it an anti-piracy measure when it's actually a blacklist for him to block people he doesn't like? Or are these two separate things?

Two separate, the mod checks if your Steam account actually has Nier Automata in it.

Wok

Why are people calling it an anti-piracy measure when it's actually a blacklist for him to block people he doesn't like? Or are these two separate things?

I assume the original intent was just to ban pirates from using the mod, then two people spammed his forum feedback threads, and got banned as well somehow from using the mod. The forum spam might have been an outrage due to the pirate ban, which is odd:
  • either the spammers are pirates and they were already banned from using the mod anyway,
  • or the spammers are legitimate customers who happen to be genuinely outraged by the pirate checks, which sounds more likely.
Either way, the problem should have been solved by using a better feedback tool, or asking for the help of a proper forum moderator, rather than sticking to forum threads which can be spammed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is anyone else who is in a region-restricted country able to see any region-restriction messages on Steam store pages? I notice that I no longer see them and wonder if that means that I can gift games out to people outside my country. Or is it a feature of Steam Enhanced that is hiding the message?

Not all store pages mention regional restrictions as they're notices by the publisher, not something inserted by Steam. Steam's regions of restricted trade haven't changed, although Valve has adjusted the checkout process such that the restricted gift warning now only appears on the purchase confirmation screen. It's still possible to accidentally send someone a region-locked gift if you're not sure what region they're in and either the price difference is low or the game isn't available in their region and the package you're buying has no PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags, but the purchase is now automatically refunded if the gift is declined.

Xanathus

Not all store pages mention regional restrictions as they're notices by the publisher, not something inserted by Steam. Steam's regions of restricted trade haven't changed.

Will it mention/stop me before I make payment if I'm trying to gift it to someone outside my region?
edit: Just attemped to do it and yeah it stops you at the payment method selection page

Kaleinc

Banned
It is not obvious to me that the comment which you quoted was written by one of the harassers.

Some modder was performing Steam forum moderation by banning spammers from using his mod, or something along this line.

If you're being an obstacle to my ability to offer support to end-users, that's how you get blacklisted. Go spam one of my threads with 100 posts in a row while I'm trying to help someone. Now your SteamID is going to be added to the list of two people.
So his mod requires for user to be online like Denuvo? lol

prudislav

So his mod requires for user to be online like Denuvo? lol
iirc just checks some files (in case of bereseria even deletes some) and if it founds something weird it detoriates gameplay (adds more crashes, messes up fps, ...) without much of a notice

ezodagrom

iirc just checks some files (in case of bereseria even deletes some) and if it founds something weird it detoriates gameplay (adds more crashes, messes up fps, ...) without much of a notice
(Important to note that the file it deletes on Berseria is a file that comes only with the pirated version of the game, nothing else, from what's being posted in the community hub).

prudislav

@ezodagrom: honestly after reading a some posts by this modder , i wouldnt touch any of his work with 10-ft pole :)
Its a nice idea to have antipiracy checks in a mod but its a bit overkill to such mod to iclude stuff that can intentionally make the game crash or mess the framerate if it founds some suspicious file without clear sign that it crashes or runs like shit because it detected pirated files.

its bad enough trhat included drm randomly screwed me over couple times .. now i have to be even afraid of mods not to buttfart my game? (like my legit gta 5 did and i had to wait 4 weeks for support to fix it)

ezodagrom

@ezodagrom: honestly after reading a some posts by this modder , i wouldnt touch any of his work with 10-ft pole :)
Its a nice idea to have antipiracy checks in a mod but its a bit overkill to such mod to iclude stuff that can intentionally make the game crash or mess the framerate if it founds some suspicious file without clear sign that it crashes or runs like shit because it detected pirated files.

its bad enough trhat included drm randomly screwed me over couple times .. now i have to be even afraid of mods not to buttfart my game? (like my legit gta 5 did and i had to wait 4 weeks for support to fix it)
A legitimate customer is not gonna be having issues when it comes to the anti-piracy measures in Kaldaien's mods.

Arminsc

Conceptually brilliant, but the frame pacing is actually atrocious, no matter what I tried (Afterburner, etc), that game never feels smooth. It's pretty fast paced from what I remember so it was a huge issue for me that stopped me from enjoying it.

Oh, that sounds bad. I'll check out some videos when I leave work and decide, but anyway it's just 1$ so not a huge loss.

The game has currency you win by playing. The better you place, the more currency you gain. You can then use that currency to buy crates of cosmetics. Those can be sold in the Steam market, and a few of them can be sold for 3-5$.

Didn't know this, and that was the last straw for me.

Time to become a PUBG all-star.

Arthea

This store update screwed something, I no longer see friends that have this game or have it wishlisted for most games on the store page. I didn't check all that many, but of those I did, only one had that info still.

data

This store update screwed something, I no longer see friends that have this game or have it wishlisted for most games on the store page. I didn't check all that many, but of those I did, only one had that info still.

Shdifn7.png
I think they replaced it with that

I only played Nier for a few hours and then went to Mass Effect but I am going back to Nier now. I was using Borderless gaming before, is that still needed? Or did they patch it to work normally.

ezodagrom

not gonna risk it though, got burned many times ... might check Nier one day as i have access to it through fam-share
Worst case the mod is easy to be removed anyway.

I only played Nier for a few hours and then went to Mass Effect but I am going back to Nier now. I was using Borderless gaming before, is that still needed? Or did they patch it to work normally.
Unless you use the FAR mod, borderless gaming is still needed.

Anno

Here's some free cosmetic portrait DLC to celebrate Stellaris's 1 year anniversary. Three new portraits for everyone and the pre-order portraits for anyone who doesn't have them.

The new ones look really nice!

Endruen

Im over 20 hours and not done!
I am taking my time reading emails and exploring all the nooks and crannys

Well, he uses glitches to skip a great part of the game. It's still amusing how someone finds the glitch and then know where to go. He goes through a ceiling and then starts climbing a tall wall with the Gloo Cannon spending 3 minutes in the process and I'm like: "How the fuck did you ever know you had to climb this way?".

Well, he uses glitches to skip a great part of the game. It's still amusing how someone finds the glitch and then know where to go. He goes through a ceiling and then starts climbing a tall wall with the Gloo Cannon spending 3 minutes in the process and I'm like: "How the fuck did you ever know you had to climb this way?".

Reminds me of my Halo 2 days where we would spend hours trying to get outside the maps. It was a game within a game,

A legitimate customer is not gonna be having issues when it comes to the anti-piracy measures in Kaldaien's mods.

I mean this is the justification used for every single DRM measure ever. If it's laughed off in other cases I don't know why it would stick here.

Between implementing anti piracy measures when he's not even a stakeholder and implementing a blacklist to spite a minority of ungrateful people, this guy comes across as petty and vindictive.

Despite it's awful name, PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS has me intrigued.

However, I can't really justify dropping $30 (or close to that) on a game right now. And I've never played a game in this genre before (never played any of these hardcore, survival, battle royale games). And I'm pretty rusty on shooters in general. AND I only have an Alienware Alpha R1 (i7 version, 8 GB RAM), so I imagine the game will run fairly shitty.

But it does look tense and fun. And I imagine I could recoup some or most of the cost of the game through selling crates (or whatever).

Ascheroth

I mean this is the justification used for every single DRM measure ever. If it's laughed off in other cases I don't know why it would stick here.

Between implementing anti piracy measures when he's not even a stakeholder and implementing a blacklist to spite a minority of ungrateful people, this guy comes across as petty and vindictive.
I think the difference here is that his work is both optional, free and open source.

The bigger question is why hasn't Square/Platinum patched the game their selves.

That too. I know some people won't like to hear this but the post release support (or rather, the complete lack of it) has been absolutely appalling.

It's not just a PC problem either. There's some bug in the PS4 version where menus can get garbled or something like that. Almost two months since release and the game has beaten everyone's expectations when it comes to sales but the developer and publisher can't be bothered to fix absolutely amateur mistakes in their product.

I think the difference here is that his work is both optional, free and open source.

Nobody is questioning whether or not he is allowed to do what he's doing. It's still pretty vindictive though. And I personally think deleting files from your PC crosses the line, regardless of whether the mod is free or not.

Jawmuncher

I'm sure you have to assassinate the Crocodile because it's eating children or something.
In that time period, sneaking up on it and stabbing it in the skull makes more sense than trying to fight it with a sword.

Ascheroth

That too. I know some people won't like to hear this but the post release support (or rather, the complete lack of it) has been absolutely appalling.

It's not just a PC problem either. There's some bug in the PS4 version where menus can get garbled or something like that. Almost two months since release and the game has beaten everyone's expectations when it comes to sales but the developer and publisher can't be bothered to fix absolutely amateur mistakes in their product.

And I even defended the port on release, because it was good.
Well, it was good for a launch, since there are always going to be some bugs and the usual expectation is that those that make it through get quickly squashed in a week or 2.
Well, yeah. Look where we are.

I don't think Bayonetta has been patched either?

I wonder if the extra year they took to make the new AC will mean it actually tries to do something new or if it's just another run of the mill AC game but with more polish this time.

Pachael

Shocking news.

I was worried due to this tweet, but it looks like my fears were unfounded as 'Steam' are in big letters in China

李臻三(MOJO82)‏
@beartrap1982

Follow
More
Big press coneference coming up.together with SNK and TENCENT.I think the KOFXIV PC version will be on TGP(tencent wegame) first...#KOFXIV

saw this on Keits twitter

In another note, vis a vis the below, Unbounded had some good gameplay, but I'd be far more interested if it was actual Ridge Racer (koff koff good guy Namco)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom