• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

At least I'm the only one who isn't "in" to Skullgirls.

Give me Darkstalkers any given day.

tumblr_md9gfzmpsI1rptf33o1_500.gif

seems fair then.

I wonder why they didn't go to KS though. What advantage would they gain from indiegogo if they're doing a fixed funding campaign instead of a KS. Is it that the funding is more certain under the a fixed funding campaign vs what amounts to pledges from a KS campaign?

IndieGogo take 2% less off the total.

Tizoc

At least I'm the only one who isn't "in" to Skullgirls.

Give me Darkstalkers any given day.

SG is the spiritual successor to DS' animation, if you look carefully at every frame by frame of DS, you'll see its concept used in SG.

I agree with him. Skullgirls looks bad to me. It has nothing to do with how many frames of animation it has or whatever. Smooth =/= automatically looking great.

Then elaborate on why it's bad, just saying it's bad doesn't tell anyone anything @_@

SG is the spiritual successor to DS' animation, if you look carefully at every frame by frame of DS, you'll see its concept used in SG.

Then elaborate on why it's bad, just saying it's bad doesn't tell anyone anything @_@

The artstyle is terrible and no amount of in-between frames can make up for it.

bad as in "the art style is not appealing to me", I would guess.

The artstyle is terrible and no amount of in-between frames can make up for it.

I keep re-reading that... but all I that keeps registering is:

My opinion is terrible and no amount of in-between posts can make up for it.

That and, y'know, that animation quality isn't necessarily tied to artstyle. Something can still be well animated, even if it isn't visually appealing to you.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Yeah but it lacks the DS personality. In SG it's all snarky doom and gloom and internet memes. And mimicking Melty Blood clones.

DS has genuine doom and gloom and genuine comedy without all the snark or memes.

that's not even the best ds gif

EHoaXpz.gif

not even SG can top dis

SkullGirls has quite the fan-following, so they must have done some things right but the artstyle reminds me of 10s-30s drawings which bring up very bad emotions in me.

Parsnip

That doesn't answer the question; what about it don't you like :p
You just repeated what what you posted before.

If the combo of pretty looking characters+body horror and freaky animations creep you out, well...that's intentional bruv~

It's ugly. Everything from the thick lines to the color palette to overall character design is just really off-putting to me.

Tizoc

Yeah but it lacks the DS personality. In SG it's all snarky doom and gloom and internet memes. And mimicking Melty Blood clones.

DS has genuine doom and gloom and genuine comedy without all the snark or memes.
Different times sadly, if they made a new DS nowadays they'd play up the sexiness of the female cast (i blame PXZ for that :V)
Everything is a product of its time.

that's not even the best ds gif

EHoaXpz.gif

not even SG can top dis

That's not even the best GIF of DS.....

SG has some really neat animations still though

SkullGirls has quite the fan-following, so they must have done some things right but the artstyle reminds me of 10s-30s drawings which bring up very bad emotions in me.

Actually it is it's 30s style animation merged with modern "cool" sensibilities that I don't like.

A purer retro artstyle, like Cuphead has, appeals a lot more to me.

giphy.gif

I think Cuphead looks amazing, because its true to its influences. Skullgirls artstyle seems half-assed to me, like half the art team wanted a retro style, and half wanted to do a modern pixel art fighter, so they met somewhere in the middle.

A few of the characters looks good though.

Big_band_action_portrait_by_oh8-d6l2186.jpg

Peacock_action_portrait_by_oh8-d2qigab.jpg

bad as in "the art style is not appealing to me", I would guess.
I keep re-reading that... but all I that keeps registering is:
That and, y'know, that animation quality isn't necessarily tied to artstyle. Something can still be well animated, even if it isn't visually appealing to you.

Also calling someones opinion terrible is a dick move. You are terrible.

Actually it is it's 30s style animation merged with modern "cool" sensibilities that I don't like.

A purer retro artstyle, like Cuphead has, appeals a lot more to me.

giphy.gif

I think Cuphead looks amazing, because its true to its influences. Skullgirls artstyle seems half-assed to me, like half the art team wanted a retro style, and half wanted to do a modern pixel art fighter, so they met somewhere in the middle.

A few of the characters looks good though.

Big_band_action_portrait_by_oh8-d6l2186.jpg

Peacock_action_portrait_by_oh8-d2qigab.jpg

Also calling someones opinion terrible is a dick move. You are terrible.

Your opinion is terrible if you don't know what you are talking about. There was a lead animator and a lead character designer, the characters are made to be referenced to old cartoons and old fighting game characters. The characters in skullgirls are also made to look vastly different from one another to avoid characters to also look like clones and have some uniqueness to them.

Retro style? They would have actually made a sprite based fighter if they wanted that. You can not like the character designs and think they are bad but, one thing they aren't are half assed.

So yes your opinion is fucking awful.

Your opinion is terrible if you don't know what you are talking about. There was a lead animator and a lead character designer, the characters are made to be referenced to old cartoons and old fighting game characters. The characters in skullgirls are also made to look vastly different from one another to avoid characters to also look like clones and have some uniqueness to them.

Retro style? They would have actually made a sprite based fighter if they wanted that. You can not like the character designs and think they are bad but, one thing they aren't are half assed.

So yes your opinion is fucking awful.

K.

Sorry if the universal acclaim of the game's style is so important to you.

zkylon

zkylewd
latest ks update said:
You can still interact with objects using the hotbar if you prefer, but we also added a new right-click contextual menu. If you come across an object that has skill checks on it, just right-click it – the game will show you all perceived and valid options available, as well as the skill odds of the highest level character in your party who can use that skill. Then, left-click an icon and your best Ranger for the job will use it. After using skills this way, most of us are finding it impossible to go back.
omg inxile director's cut just fixed wasteland 2

it was my number 1 annoyance and why i didn't continue playing the game, this makes me very happy

Dr Dogg

MGS Pachinko semi-sort of announced, Chelsea giving Mourinho the dreaded vote of confidence, PS3 dead in New Zealand, I've got to traipse around fucking IKEA and get lost tonight. What a crazy day.

Jawmuncher

30 for Indivisible? Think i'll wait on pledging unless it needs help reaching the goal. Was expecting some sort of launch discount.

Lain

30 for Indivisible? Think i'll wait on pledging unless it needs help reaching the goal. Was expecting some sort of launch discount.

I wasn't (because Ravidrath already said there wouldn't be one in the Indivisible thread yesterday or the day before) but given they charge you right away, I'll probably only pledge toward the end.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
man fuck this day

I'm actually having to do work

all I want to do is play ori

I feel the same way - why the hell am I at work today?

birthdays suck

Dr Dogg

Transformers is out tomorrow and still no delivery date let alone a dispatch email. I get the feeling I'm going to end up somewhat disappointed here.

Happy b-day to the sexiest SteamGAFfer of them all!

I'll think you'll find my birthday was a few months ago.

Dr Dogg

where have you bought it and for how much?

Amazon and £17.30 (though I used Amazon credit so technically nothing because they sure love to fuck up every other order I place with them and shower me with £5 for using shit couriers).

If this isn't a rehash or 1 HDier then I'll have this all over my face please Yves.

Happy belated b-day to the 5th sexiest SteamGAFfer of them all!

Grrrrrrrrrr!!! Just noticed your a Memb- again now, congrats.

Grief.exe

Transformers is out tomorrow and still no delivery date let alone a dispatch email. I get the feeling I'm going to end up somewhat disappointed here.

I ordered the physical version on Amazon.de and it says release date is November 13th. Their supply channels must be backed up for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom