• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
controversial opinion time

abusing price mistakes = piracy

at the very least it's morally the same if you will

come at me :>

Pricing is an essential part of the capitalist system, where the goods holder decides under certain market pressures how much money to take in exchange of goods. Pricing errors, although accidental are simply a natural part of this system run by humans and using them is therefore not immoral. Software piracy on the other hand takes you completely out of the capitalist system and has a person unilaterly decide to acquire a good or service without payment, or more importantly permission, of the rights owner. If you use the official system and they grant you permission to download and acquire the good then you cannot be in any way compared to a person who acts outside this system. Copyright is all about permissions.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So I just got a Paranautical Activity booster pack. Should I just sell it, or wait in case the price goes higher due to it being removed from Steam?

Parsnip

I don't know if it's related but they added the Dark Souls app to a new Dark Souls package about 5 hours ago. I don't even know what that means really. Just thought I'd mention it.

edit: Also just when the mistake was fixed they updated that new package, so I'm assuming that was the reason for it. Would that mean that the price mistake was in effect for 4~5 hours before anyone noticed?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
All those Dark Souls copies are going to multiply with the switch from GFWL too.

So I just got a Paranautical Activity booster pack. Should I just sell it, or wait in case the price goes higher due to it being removed from Steam?

It's only going to go up.

zkylon

zkylewd
So buying used games on consoles is similar to piracy?
probably not, as the game was payed for at least once?

worth discussing too for sure

used games is specially messy cos the license thing is pretty terrible

Oi, you, everything zkylon says makes sense! Everything...
far from it

but i like to say it anyways

Pricing is an essential part of the capitalist system, where the goods holder decides under certain market pressures how much money to take in exchange of goods. Pricing errors, although accidental are simply a natural part of this system run by humans and using them is therefore not immoral. Software piracy on the other hand takes you completely out of the capitalist system and has a person unilaterly decide to acquire a good or service without payment, or more importantly permission, of the rights owner. If you use the official system and they grant you permission to download and acquire the good then you cannot be in any way compared to a person who acts outside this system.
well put, tho i'm not sure if i'd say playing by the rules = ethical.

thanks for the respectful answer

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Well unless you're in Asia and don't use a VPN for steam / just recently known trading / have no int'l cards to pay for it in various online shops just like me.
```````````````````````````````````````
JaseC must have been flooded with PMs. Poor guy :)

I don't think poor exists in his vocabulary.

Maniac

Banned
Rightoooo, I'm off to bed. I've got a good chunk of bundle games and whatnot lying around, hopefully I'll get around to actually learning ModBot tomorrow and do one of those fancy raffle things. See you guys, have an excellent morning / noon / afternoon / evening / night / alternative-time-of-day!

Seriously though, why am I too lazy to just go read that sodding ModBot instruction thingie? lol

Quick edit: OH MY GOD OH MY GOD KINGDOM COME DELIVERANCE PRE ALPHA TECHNICAL TEST THING VILLAGE THING! Anyone tried it out yet? If so, is it broken, interesting, fun and / or promising?

MUnited83

For you.
just to check
we can no longer get Witcher 3 for $18 now right?

the ACRTAG has just got turned on for Witcher 3 as well?

Still region free, go nuts. No, the ACRTAG is not actually turned on. It's has been on on the the database for 2 months now, but it never actually applied. You can still go and get it.

pbOx6gp.jpg

WTF namco ?
i can't order digital ? they will send the key by shipping ?

Use Amazon checkout with a fake US address. They send you a Steam key by email after a few hours (3 hours in my case).

Whoever is responsible for saints rows 4's cutscenes being capped at 30 FPS: you just wasted half an hour of my life trying to tweak those things to 60, only to now find out that it's meant to be like that. Throw up a message somewhere or some shit to let a brother know.

hohoXD123

Didn't Team Meat put Mewgenics on hold until they've finished their new Super Meat Boy related projects though?

Oi, you, everything zkylon says makes sense! Everything...

That's... Eh, I kind of suppose fair enough... Ish.

Anecdote time: The first experience I had with piracy was a copy of... I think it was a Duke Nukem game that came with some magazine when I was a kid; one of my big brothers' friends had gotten said magazine (which, somehow, was a huge deal to us back then)...

We totally burnt that sucker. And I loved the game, although I never got past like the third map because the pigs kept killing me. Ever since then, I've been a noob. :(

I don't know how used games work nowadays as I've not dabbled in consoles and used games since the PS2 era, but I'd kind of consider it to be worse to some extent, but just kind of. What I mean by this is that a 3rd party is continuously profiting off of goods that the creators only profited from the first time around.

That might just be my brain at work, though. :p
Wouldn't really say that's worse. How many times has that one purchased copy transferred hands vs piracy? In piracy the one copy which the original owner probably purchased went to the developers, but from there the developers didn't get money from the thousands of times that copy was transferred from one person to another, for used games that amount is what, 2-3 for newish games? Maybe a dozen for older ones? Also, DLC/season passes/online passes is another major thing to consider.

Whoever is responsible for saints rows 4's cutscenes being capped at 30 FPS: you just wasted half an hour of my life trying to tweak those things to 60, only to now find out that it's meant to be like that. Throw up a message somewhere or some shit to let a brother know.
Saint's Row 3's were like that too. It was really weird until I figured it out.

I played saints row 3 on a 555m laptop so I just assumed the cutscenes ran that way because it wasn't the best of computers. Didn't know it was part of the series. Bah
Yeah, I had the exact same situation. Played it on my laptop and thought it was just too intensive for it or something. Nope.

At least the gameplay runs fine.

wilflare

That's exactly what I said. Despite showing the tag there, it isn't actually working. The warning on the page is a automated one that will always show when that tag is present. It doesn't take to account that this is a exception.

ah i see. wait so there's no definite way to know if something actually has ACRTAG present and enabled?

or is Witcher 3 the only known exception?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom