• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

It might be awhile
tumblr_mnkodaiWRV1spgetro1_500.png

Maniac

Banned
I would change that post. You dont wanna get banned, right?
Well, that's... A good point but also incredibly silly.

I definitely intend on pretending that I'm holier-than-thou, even though it's really a moot point as long as you're not hurting the developers by playing their game without paying them for their hard work.

It's really no different to playing it at a friends house to try it out and see if it's worth your time. Ofcourse, you'd also have to not be a cunt and then pay for it if you feel it's worth your time.
It might be awhile
That... Is... Glorious as all hell.

gngf123

If you get banned for playing "pirated" copies for 10 minutes to see if they're worth spending a lot of money on, then... Hell, this place aint right. lol.

I've no intention of pretending that I'm holier-than-thou when it's really a moot point as long as you're not hurting the developers by playing their game without paying them for their hard work.

It's really no different to playing it at a friends house to try it out and see if it's worth your time. (In my case, if somethings worth my time, I'll damn well pay for it, mind.)

(Is this the time to mention that I once also burnt a copy of Doom and SOLD it to my brother for two bucks? I'm edgy)

Endorsing piracy is a ban, regardless of motives here.

zkylon

zkylewd
No you aren't, and I'm pretty sure Valve would be held accountable for the mistake, being them the ones who have to pay.

And of course it doesn't count if someone made a mistake. It's fucking 20 cents on the store. That's the price that is there. You pay for it. You get the game. That's not stealing in any way.
i'm strictly talking ethics here, so i'm really confused how it can be morally justifiable unless you believe the publishers/valve/whoever deserve it

it's not like it's a sale -__-

On the internet? You're going to have a bad time. :p
well if it doesn't into personal attacks i find it interesting

It depends who buys it: if I am ready to pay more for the game and abuse a price mistake, then it is less profit for the developers ; if I am paying for a game I would not have bought, it is more money.
true, true

i'm not sure if randomly selling your games for 19c in aussieland is a sustainable business practice tho :p

It might be awhile
lol that is awesome

Grief.exe

Damn. Namco tries to do good by removing GFWL and they get hit with this. Well done, PC gamers.

I'm kidding. Someone wake JaseC.

controversial opinion time

abusing price mistakes = piracy

at the very least it's morally the same if you will

come at me :>

Wouldn't the retailer, in this case Valve, cover the cost?

Both parties have agreed to a set price for the product. If Valve makes the mistake, and sells the product at an extreme loss, that loss comes out of their pocket, not Namco.

Asgaro

sitting here while waiting they remove the lock from my account
CrsoJbL.gif

Don't you have anything else to do...

Look at me...

In all seriousness, that's not me. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/comments/2if8xg/what_have_you_done_to_me/

--

But I want to add a story to this screen:

I stumbled on that post yesterday because I was curious about the concept 'Idle gaming'.

But there was a reason why I was curious: when I study I normally put up relaxing Youtube videos on a (second) monitor. And by that I mean: ASMR videos.
If you don't know it, typ 'ASMR' it in YT and watch some.

To a lot of people it at first comes over as weird, and it is weird. It's a form of relaxation where people whisper that gives you "tingles".
You know that feel when you are getting a hair cut and you feel tingles? Like that you get goosebumps?
It's possible you don't get this, but if you do this is because of the personal attention you are getting that satisfies you.

Those ASMR videos do the exact same thing but provide it to you on demand. You can find tons of role play videos that simulate these 'personal attention' videos.

I like for example videos where it seems like you are replying to questions and the woman on the desk has to type that information in on a computer. Don't ask my why, but I like that (and so do a ton of others, looking at the amount of views.)

So aside from those ASMR video's I put up in the background when studying, I have yesterday been looking for more stuff I can use.

I then thought of that Steam game that recently got released: Mountain.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/313340/
All it does it seems (I have yet to try it) is show a mountain but things change over time.
All in all, a good game / screensaver to keep on your monitor and to watch from time to time when studying/working.

You have the feeling you are actually achieving something else as well, aside from studying/working. It's a great feeling to have.

But then I learned the concept of Idle Gaming.
It's games that you literally idle but you still make progress by doing so.
So in a sense, it can give me an extra boost of satisfaction. All I have to do while studying, is looking up to my monitor and seeing the game progress.

Yes, the famous Cookie Clicker is probably the best example of this genre.
I've heard about that "game" before but never thought about even trying it since it seems useless.
It IS useless... but now I have found a purpose for doing it while still doing something else worthwhile.

Another great game in that genre is: http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/
It's a text adventure with a survival story.
So while studying/working you let this game run on your monitor. Sometimes you look up and click an action like 'Light fire' and so on.

(You can go further: Progress Quest. It's a game you have literally NO saying it.
Now, that is useless. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-player_game
Cookie clicker and familiar games still let you make decisions at times you want to at least.)

If anyone wants more info:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdleGame
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_game
https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games
http://www.almostidle.com/
http://incrementalgames.org/incremental-games-list/
http://clickergames.net/en/
http://www.kongregate.com/idle-games
https://www.reddit.com/r/incremental_games/wiki/list_of_incremental_games

If anyone knows some games on Steam that actually provide a similar experience (screensaver game / idle game), please let me know.

Someone else had the exact same question. So I assume there is a demand for these type of games.
Sadly that thread didn't get many replies.
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1086231#1086231

mmorpgpost.PNG

If anyone finds this thread worthy and want to hear other people's thoughts about this, I'll consider making a thread about it in the near future.
Idle gaming: games you "play" while studying/working or something.

Edit:
I've actually also been looking for a Tamagotchi game that you can let run on your computer and interact with from time to time.
Anyone any ideas?

Edit:
the devs behind Super Meat Boy are working on a game that's somewhat related to Tamagotchi gameplay:

mew-genics-announcement.jpg

Mew-Genics is the new game from Super Meat Boy developers, Team Meat. Edmund McMillen has stated that the game will be the strangest project that he's ever worked on.

In the game, players find themselves managing a household of randomly generated cats. Each cat has its own unique visual aspects, “kitten states”, sizes, animation sets, stats and personality. Cats can range from being fat and disease-ridden (potentially infecting other cats they come into contact with) to associating inner feelings, such as trauma, when faced with certain activities and suffering from illnesses such as narcolepsy. Your cat’s stats can be altered with unique trinkets found through out the game world.

As time progresses, cats will age and eventually die requiring the player breed them before that happens. However, certain cats may behave poorly with each other, forcing the player to find another potential mate. Stray cats can be spotted in your garden and adopted. Cats may also be frozen for a time in “Cryo-cubes”.

Outside of managing your cats at home, they may also perform in fights, beauty pageants and races to obtain currency. Currency can be used to purchase various things including treatments from Dr. Beanies for any diseases your cat may have.

The soundtrack and audio is being created by 'Rediculon', a collaboration between Matthias Bossi and John Evans.

The game will be released on iOS, Android and PC amongst other unannounced platforms.

http://www.giantbomb.com/mew-genics/3030-40140/

It's probably not a game you are meant to idle 80% of the time, but it goes in the general direction maybe.

Braag

Both parties have agreed to a set price for the product. If Valve makes the mistake, and sells the product at an extreme loss, that loss comes out of their pocket, not Namco.

That's what I was thinking. Unless Namco dun goofed and set the price accidentally themselves.

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah my bad

is it any better to take it from valve than bamco tho?

i mean i totally understand the rush for it, i bought the tropico 4 thing for like 2 bucks and never played it and done the same with the bio infinite season pass, but for me this is ethically the same as pirating the game, i'm taking away someone's potential profit, be it valve, bamco, from, whatever.

MUnited83

For you.
i'm strictly talking ethics here, so i'm really confused how it can be morally justifiable unless you believe the publishers/valve/whoever deserve it

it's not like it's a sale -__-

What ethics? The game is marked on the store at 20 cents. A store is where you buy things. If something is marked 20 cents, you can buy it for that price. There's no ethics involved here. I'm not the one who made the price mistake.

Maniac

Banned
@Maniac It is though. Admiting what you are doing will give you a ban here.

I dont take a stance for or against it. I am just saying.
I'm surprised that a lovely place like GAF which I'd have thought would be all about having somewhat
intelligent discussions about all things videogames wouldn't have sticks up them buttocks about the realities of the industry, but I'm not really surprised, to be quite fair.

Endorsing piracy is a ban, regardless of motives here.
Wasn't really endorsing it at all, but sure.

Grief.exe

yeah my bad

is it any better to take it from valve than bamco tho?

i mean i totally understand the rush for it, i bought the tropico 4 thing for like 2 bucks and never played it and done the same with the bio infinite season pass, but for me this is ethically the same as pirating the game, i'm taking away someone's potential profit, be it valve, bamco, from, whatever.

Valve is the most profitable company in the world per capita. Any company is going to face losses, I'm sure This will amount to a negligible loss over the fiscal year.

I'm surprised that a lovely place like GAF which I'd have thought would be all about having somewhat
intelligent discussions about all things videogames wouldn't have sticks up them buttocks about the realities of the industry, but I'm not really surprised, to be quite fair.

I had this question before since anime-discussions are quite normal here, but just stick to it, dont talk about kaizoku-ing
SPOILER: Kaizokuing means pirating ;)
games and you are fine.

Dr Dogg

So I guess the real Dark Souls starts here.

This is awesome.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/dr/hln/www/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/textarticle_640/2014/04/16/169313838.jpg[/I][/QUOTE]

I know I've been captivated by that on every page it's cropped up on. Such a shame Microsoft yanked DreamScene out of Windows after Vista otherwise you could have set it as a live wallpaper.

Valve is the most profitable company in the world per capita. Any company is going to face losses, I'm sure This will amount to a negligible loss over the fiscal year.

If Valve eats the loss, that puts them in good with both the consumer and publisher, so much so that they could probably just take it out of their marketing budget. Not to imply that price mistakes are intentional, of course.

chairmanchuck said:
I had this question before since anime-discussions are quite normal here, but just stick to it, dont talk about kaizoku-ing
games and you are fine.

Just according to kaizoku?

Maniac

Banned

Good point. Although, don't publishers have full access to that stuff now? And if that's the case, a pricing error would likely be their own fault... Hmm. Intriguing. Wish I had an answer, really. :p
games and you are fine.
Damn shame. I love discussing literally everything involving games, whether it's the industry, the ethics involved with many of the things in the world of games, what's wrong and right in games, companies and all that good jazz. Hoped GAF was a good place for all of it, but apparently it just is for most of it.

Now, random thoughts time: I should get a WiiU, just to please Zel.

And I've now managed to get around 20 new games since yesterday. And I honestly don't know what they are except for two of them. Damn bundles..

zkylon

zkylewd
Don't care cheap gam.

exactly :3

What ethics? The game is marked on the store at 20 cents. A store is where you buy things. If something is marked 20 cents, you can buy it for that price. There's no ethics involved here. I'm not the one who made the price mistake.
i dunno taking advantage of a mistake (in some cases rabidly) doesn't sound too innocent to me

i didn't by any means tried to imply valve was gonna go bankrupt over this :p

i just think the comparison stands because in both cases it's "potential sales" being lost. unless .19c instead of however dark souls is actually sold for (funnily enough i just remembered dark souls is actually not sold in argentina lol) actually counts as a sale

Vibranium

Banned
I've got a cheap Dark Souls copy, and I intend on giving it away to someone else in this thread in a later on. There's always people who miss stuff, as I did with the Tropico 4 thing, so I'm giving back.

games and you are fine.

Piracy of digital goods are at an all-time high here in my country but I still find ways to be legit. Whether through Steam, PSN and bundles for games, thrift shops for books, and amazon for almost everything else. Anime and its merchandises are the most difficult to be legit though, since they are almost always pricey but I have a VPN and a sub in crunchy and funi for them.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Thanks kind gaffer for the dark souls key! Finally this asian can play it.

Damn shame. I love discussing literally everything involving games, whether it's the industry, the ethics involved with many of the things in the world of games, what's wrong and right in games, companies and all that good jazz. Hoped GAF was a good place for all of it, but apparently it just is for most of it.

You can dicuss those things just fine.
Just dont admit kaizoku-ing ;)

Gaz_RB

Anybody been playing Door Kickers? I'm playing through it now. It's hard as hell but it's really fun. Basically Rainbow Six Planning Mode: The Game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hey jshackles, will you put the code for the ES Trash Can bot code on GitHub at some point? I'd love to check it out.

Perhaps, although in a more limited form since it obviously contains a lot of session / cookie data that is specific to the ES Trash Can user. Plus I'll probably wait until it's actually "in production" since I'll most likely be making a lot of changes to it over the next few weeks before the feature goes live.

It's written in Python BTW.

Lain

Sacred 3 is "Overwhelmingly Negative"? Jesus what's so bad about it? o.0

Given that I've liked Sacred 3, I'll say that it's overwhelmingly negative because it's not the Sacred 3 people wanted (and some/many expected) and the price for it was way too much. It's a game that should have costed as much as Korra does because, while fun for the kind of game it is (co-op brawling action is what I'd call it), it's not a 50€ game, not even close.

xBladeM6x

So I guess the real Dark Souls starts here.

I know I've been captivated by that on every page it's cropped up on. Such a shame Microsoft yanked DreamScene out of Windows after Vista otherwise you could have set it as a live wallpaper.

There's a 3rd party tool that lets you enable it. All I know is that when I look at that, I feel like I'm high. Lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how the fuck doesnt everyone own Dark Souls already? o_O

its only been on sale about 7689590409837493993939029378537835 times

Echoplx

Steam is blocking me right now (Probably too many purchases) so I may have to stop for bit

I'll try and fulfill any current requests but sorry if I don't get to you

Maniac

Banned
Edit:
the devs behind Super Meat Boy are working on a game that's somewhat related to Tamagotchi gameplay:

http://www.giantbomb.com/mew-genics/3030-40140/

It's probably not a game you are meant to idle 80% of the time, but it goes in the general direction maybe.
Didn't Team Meat put Mewgenics on hold until they've finished their new Super Meat Boy related projects though?

That doesn't even make sense.
Oi, you, everything zkylon says makes sense! Everything...

You can dicuss those things just fine.
Just dont admit kaizoku-ing ;)
That's... Eh, I kind of suppose fair enough... Ish.

Anecdote time: The first experience I had with piracy was a copy of... I think it was a Duke Nukem game that came with some magazine when I was a kid; one of my big brothers' friends had gotten said magazine (which, somehow, was a huge deal to us back then)...

We totally burnt that sucker. And I loved the game, although I never got past like the third map because the pigs kept killing me. Ever since then, I've been a noob. :(

So buying used games on consoles is similar to piracy?
I don't know how used games work nowadays as I've not dabbled in consoles and used games since the PS2 era, but I'd kind of consider it to be worse to some extent, but just kind of. What I mean by this is that a 3rd party is continuously profiting off of goods that the creators only profited from the first time around.

That might just be my brain at work, though. :p

how the fuck doesnt everyone own Dark Souls already? o_O

its only been on sale about 7689590409837493993939029378537835 times

Well unless you're in Asia and don't use a VPN for steam / just recently known trading / have no int'l cards to pay for it in various online shops just like me.
```````````````````````````````````````
JaseC must have been flooded with PMs. Poor guy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom