• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam: Perils of Summer Sale from June 24 to July 4 (Save up to 95% off)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
So let's see what the damage was:

Audiosurf
Borderlands + Knox
Flatout: Ultimate Carnage
Garry's Mod
Ghostbusters
Left 4 Dead 2
Max and the Magic Marker
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Shatter
Tales of Monkey Island
Theif: Deadly Shadows

I'm still on the fence about the Telltale pack, I have Monkey Island and the 1st season of Sam and Max but would love the rest of S&M. Bone + Wallace and Gromit + Strong Bad look really great. So it seems like it would still be worth the $50 for those (especially considering season 2 and 3 of S&M would run maybe $30-40 total, it's actually $50 for both combo on steam). I'll probably end up getting it.

So here's the final tally for my Steam sale pickups:

Flotilla
Cryostasis
The Void
Broken Sword Twin Pack
Ben There, Dan That/Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse
The Sherlock Holmes Collection
Introversion Complete Pack

Total: $74.08

Between this sale and some PSN splurging, I've been spending way too much on games this summer. I have to try to restrain myself for the rest of the year. I'm still working through my backlog from Steam's winter sale...

Mario said:
So, I have a clear picture of the sales figures for Shatter now. During the day of the sale, looks like we sold ~250% of the total units sold up until the sale. In other words, on the day of the sale we sold 2.5 times the number of units more than the total number of units sold during the entire 4 month period since release combined.

Revenue wise, by offering a 75% discount the take per unit was a lot less. So we only did about 64% or 2/3 of the revenue that we had otherwise collected to date. However, important to remember this was one day, so we basically boosted our LTD revenue by 64% in a single day event.

We also had a little spike on streaming and sales of the soundtrack on sale day and beyond. Noticable though not very meaningful in terms of revenue (worth maybe a few hundred dollars to us). We had some modest increases in our Facebook and Twitter followers too.

As for ongoing unit sales, it remains to be seen what the longer term impact is. There is certainly a modest elevated daily sales number, though we kicked off an online advertising campaign on 1 July which may be contributing to that.

All in all, decent revenue spike, and a lot more people playing and enjoying the game. A great result and one we are very happy with.

Awesome. Interesting stuff. I'm thrilled to hear your game did well; it is one of the more deserving ones.

But of course you already know that. :D

benjipwns

Banned
Had a ton of stuff already, or it didn't fall enough so my load was light:
Lead and Gold (at $5, probably played enough to make that back already, hopefully the number of players keeps up)
Borderlands + DLC (since I didn't have the DLC or it on Steam, and just pretended it was the $20 GOTY version I was waiting on for Steam)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Last day, I figured I ate enough for free this weekend that I had $5 to spend, hopefully it'll get a multiplayer boost from the sales as I'd like to try that out.)
Okay, so it was another $5 prepayment towards Saint's Row 3.

Thanks for those tidbits Mario, always fun to see behind the scenes on these sales.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm so ready to double-dip on Borderlands :lol. Getting it on Steam + the DLC on sale is still cheaper than the DLC's regular combined price :lol

It's possible to sell Borderlands right? Or does it lock itself to your computer when you install it? Figured I could get some cash for my retail copy if I buy it on steam with the DLC..

Billen

Banned
Anyone having problems with steam declining their purchase due to any errors? No problems according to the bank and the accounts are filled to the brim with shiny gold.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Billen said:
Anyone having problems with steam declining their purchase due to any errors? No problems according to the bank and the accounts are filled to the brim with shiny gold.

Steam's anti fraud system is slightly overzealous and probably put a hold on your account. Contact steam support to get it removed. It's happened to several of us during the sale.

vocab

Easy_D said:
It's possible to sell Borderlands right? Or does it lock itself to your computer when you install it? Figured I could get some cash for my retail copy if I buy it on steam with the DLC..

As long as you didn't tie your cd key to anything, you should be fine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
vocab said:
As long as you didn't tie your cd key to anything, you should be fine.
Well there is no CD-key, just checked the case, seems there's only an Online Release Date Check.

After that it only checks for the DVD in the drive, no keys or anything so it should be fine I guess :D.

Wonder how much I'd get for it.. at least 10 bucks would be nice, to cover the Steam costs :lol.

I finally caved and bought Thief: Deadly Shadows. I usually don´t like stealth games, and I have never played any Thief game before, so this could be interesting.

Brashnir

Mario said:
So, I have a clear picture of the sales figures for Shatter now.

Interesting to hear impressions on sales from the other side. Glad to hear you got a solid boost from the sale and are happy with the numbers. Happy developers and publishers means more sales in the future.

I bought the game a while back and it didn't really click with me. Maybe I'll give it another go now that everyone is talking about it again.

Kuroyume said:
What does it mean to do a four pack?
It means you buy 4 copies of the game and give 4 out to friends.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Brashnir said:
I bought the game a while back and it didn't really click with me. Maybe I'll give it another go now that everyone is talking about it again.
Yeah it isn't really clicking with me either. My main gripe is the fact that I'm not really digging the Mega Maid mechanic (going from suck to blow) but the boss fights are pretty cool.

Brofist

Kuroyume said:
You are buying 4 copies of a single game, which can be shared between yourself and 3 others. The benefit is it's cheaper per copy than buying 1.

Dambrosi

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Four GAFfers get together to buy four copies of a game on Steam at a discount. One buys the four games and gifts them to the others, the others pay him their share of the price. simple.

BTW, there aren't any four-packs going for Borderlands, are there? Even better if it's a US one, it'll save me some further scratch, though I don't know if the DLC from the UK store would work with it (anyone know?). Wouldn't be able to pay for a few hours, though.

Uncle AJ

Dambrosi said:
BTW, there aren't any four-packs going for Borderlands, are there? Even better if it's a US one, it'll save me some further scratch, though I don't know if the DLC from the UK store would work with it (anyone know?). Wouldn't be able to pay for a few hours, though.

Don't know anything about the UK compatibility, but you can indeed buy a Borderlands four pack for $30.58 (normally $89.97). Or get a single copy for a measly $10.19. I always need more PC folk to play Borderlands with!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Just popping in here to give a big shoutout and <3 to Wallach who randomly decided to be a badass.
He gifted me Trine omg

Much love, man.

Bought two more games earlier today:
Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack
Thief: Deadly Shadows

I was considering two more, but I ultimately decided against them: CivIV Complete and Mount & Blade Warband. I already have the original CivIV on disc, and I figured that with CivV on the horizon and the fact that this is not the first time CivIV Complete was at this price, it's bound to have a lower price tag sooner or later. As for M&BW, once again, I figured that I could wait for a lower price, primarily since I'm not entirely sure that my computer could run it at optimal settings.

Final Tally: $35.75
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Commandos Pack
Flotilla
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
Monkey Island Complete Pack
Thief: Deadly Shadows
X-Com Complete Pack

Plasma

Banned
Witcher
Cryostatis
Resident Evil 5
Ghostbusters
Kane and Lynch
Introversion Pack
Shatter
Borderlands and DLC
Just Cause 2
Bioshock 2
Trine

Around £70 :/

AcridMeat

Banned
Managed to do well for myself I think, although no M&B Warband. I guess I'll just have to wait on that one.

-Flotilla
-Zeno Clash
-Lead and Gold (gifted)
-Shatter
-FlatOut UC
-Introversion pack

Just bought the Introversion pack to finish this sale.

a total of $15.74 :D

Moobabe

Is anyone having problems playing civ 4 online? It keeps saying failed to find steam or it won't sign in past the gamespy bit - it just hangs and returns to the main menu.

graywolf323

Zero-Crescent said:
I was considering two more, but I ultimately decided against them: CivIV Complete and Mount & Blade Warband. I already have the original CivIV on disc, and I figured that with CivV on the horizon and the fact that this is not the first time CivIV Complete was at this price, it's bound to have a lower price tag sooner or later

personally I kinda doubt you will see Civ IV Complete go any lower anytime soon

Dambrosi

Banned
Mo the Hawk said:
Don't know anything about the UK compatibility, but you can indeed buy a Borderlands four pack for $30.58 (normally $89.97). Or get a single copy for a measly $10.19. I always need more PC folk to play Borderlands with!
Actually, what I meant was "Is anyone offering a place in a Borderlands 4-pack? Even better if it's American, due to exchange rates". Sorry for the confusion.

Real quick can anyone tell me if in Torchlight when you enchant something using Shrine of Enchantment, can I enchant a unique item? Or does it have to be a plain item or something like in Diablo?

Hinomura

MisterAnderson said:
Real quick can anyone tell me if in Torchlight when you enchant something using Shrine of Enchantment, can I enchant a unique item? Or does it have to be a plain item or something like in Diablo?
Yes you can as many times you want, but be aware the more times you do it the more is possible to completely unenchant it.

Dascu

MisterAnderson said:
You can enchant any item, even uniques. It'll simply give them an extra property.

Trine - $4
Cryostasis - $3.24
Overlord Complete Pack - $4.50
The Witcher - $6.79
Puzzle Kingdoms - $1
Ghostbusters - $4
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - $7.49
Gothic Bundle - $1.99
Flatout Ultimate Carnage - $2 (I swear I don't even remember buying this :lol )
The Void - $5
Shatter - $2.50
P.B. Winterbottom - $2.49
Thief: Deadly Shadows - $2.99
Saints Row 2 - $3.74
The Mawesome Pack - $5.99
Dark Void Zero - $3.34
TellTale Everything Pack - $49.99
Toki Tori - $2.50

Total - $113.54

I regret nothing! Except maybe 30GB of The Force Unleashed, but at that price it's still cheaper than a rental.

BomberMouse said:
Last week I had no PC capable of gaming, thanks to this sale now I own
- Portal
- Jericho
- Overlord Pack
- Commandos Pack
- Flotilla
- Killing Floor
- PB Winterbottom
- Civ IV Pack
- ToMi Pack
- Thief
- Titan Quest Pack

And I'm on the fence with about 10 other games XD, has anyone played:

- Mata Hari
- Ceville
- Time Gentlemen
- Broken Sword Pack
- Full Pipe
- Toki Tori
- Ghost Master
- Kings Bounty (is the gold edition worth it or the first game has enough content to keep me busy for a long time?)

Mata Hari is lots of fun too, a classic adventure game.

Bad Rats: The Rats Revenge [$0.95] [only bought it because I had change left over and couldn't get anymore money on my debit card to get anything better]
Ghost Master [$0.95] [Kinda impulse, but it looked okay]
Splinter Cell [$6.95]
Shatter [$2.50] [Owned it on PS3 already, but was a kind of game I preferred to play on PC]
X-COM Complete Pack [$3.74]
Puzzle Kingdoms [$1.00] [was not so happy :<]
Sid Meier's Pirates! [$7.49]

$23.58

Not bad, considering if I had bought Splinter Cell when it came out I'd have more than doubled that! :p

Biggest disappointment was that I couldn't get Tales of Monkey Island Complete or Rocket Knight. Am cry!

But in the end though, the game I'm playing most is... Cave Story. :Þ It's so awesooome.

ne1

A Link to the Snitch said:
Biggest disappointment was that I couldn't get Tales of Monkey Island Complete or Rocket Knight. Am cry!
It's not too late yet, is it? Available once again at 66% off.

Total haul for the sale:

Full Pipe
Sol Survivor
Broken Sword: Twin Pack
FUEL
SAW
Dark Fall: Lost Souls
Monkey Island Complete Pack
Grid
Agatha Christie Collection
Sherlock Holmes versus Jack the Ripper
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
Winterbottom
Clive Barker's Jericho
Tropico 3
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage (NA)
Company of Heroes
Zeno Clash
Left 4 Dead 2
Overlord Complete Pack

That should be enough adventure-mysteries and destructive racing to tide me over for the decade or so. (I really wanted to buy more of the Sherlock Holmes games, but there's a cheaper bundle on Amazon which I'll pick up sometime next year I guess.)

Games I'm still considering:
Mata Hari
Ceville
Aquaria
Northern Lights Indie pack
The Whispered World

Anyone know anything about those?

So this sale I bought -

Lead and Gold
Super Laser Racer
Introversion Complete Pack
Best of The Underground Pack
Oddworld Pack
Order of War : Challenge
Commandos Pack
Team Fortress 2
X-Com Complete Pack
Shatter
Torchlight
Portal

All for about £33 - less than one game at retail :lol

I just bought Shatter and am very pleased with my purchase, it's amazing little game.

Thanks to my 5 year old computer I didn't feel the urge to buy stuff like Crysis, Metro...:lol
I'm still waiting for a reason to buy a new gaming rig, where are you Half-Life 3 and Battlefield 3? But maybe Starcraft 2 and Deus Ex 3 will do the trick.

Are there still people in for a left 4 dead 2 fourpack, need someone that arranges it, because I feel terrible, wasn't there a thread for that? Please pm for something important.

IrishNinja

hey, thanks for your replies - bout to grab some last-minute games, just a quick Steam question...i read that The Void is particularly hard, but there was a mod to make it flow better, i forget where - can you apply mods to your steam games, or only if they release it on their servers or wha?

I got:

Toki Tori (demo seemed nice, don't have any puzzle games)
Shatter (very good, especially the soundtrack)
Flotilla (fun quirky game)
Max Payne Bundle (played a bit of the first: combat is neat, the presentation is great)
Resident Evil 5 (didnt play it yet)
Killing Floor (forgot the dubious visuals and presentation, it's blast to play. Really good co-op multiplayer game)

About 25 euros total

Too bad that the prices Metro 2033 or Stalker: CoP didn't get less than 10 euros. I also thought about buying RF: Guerilla. But I still have a lot of singleplayer games I really want to play (Crysis, Bioshock, RE5, Mass Effect to name a few). By the time I can start with Red Faction, it might be already time for the holiday sale.

UrbanRats

IrishNinja said:
hey, thanks for your replies - bout to grab some last-minute games, just a quick Steam question...i read that The Void is particularly hard, but there was a mod to make it flow better, i forget where - can you apply mods to your steam games, or only if they release it on their servers or wha?
There was an easy mode patch, yes.
I bought it with that in mind. :lol

Top Bottom