• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

So I bought Torchlight 2 and got immediately bored with it because the controller mod was awful. Why doesn't it have native support?! :mad:

...and it's not even friday anywhere yet. Impressive.

You know having to mod it in should have warned you. And KB&M is def way to go.

D3 consoles are okay..but that isn't the reason why you get it for a console.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 Early Access

http://store.steampowered.com/app/279940/

header_292x136.jpg

How long will this game be in Early Access?
“From September 4th, 2014 until the end of January 2015, with a time gap of approximately one month between each chapter.”

Early Access for a P&C game is pointless. Another case where a developer is treating Early Access as a kickstarter campaign

aku:jiki

It's midnight and some change over in the worst part of Australia. ;)
Australia isn't even a real country!

You are supposed to play it with mouse and keyboard
I obviously do since the controller mod was crap, but I don't see why they couldn't include basic support. I get that it maybe uses too many buttons but they could at least let me move around and fight with a controller, then do menu fiddling like crafting or whatever with the mouse. I feel like the idea that it's either MKB or a controller, and it can never be a combo of the two, is pretty antiquated.

Deques

Early Access for a P&C game is pointless. Another case where a developer is treating Early Access as a kickstarter campaign

Looks like it's an episodic game. They could just ditch Early Access and treat it as a full release game, like how Telltale did to their games

I think Early Access here is totally useless. I mean, it's a point and click adventure, really you want play it again, and again, and again ?

To be fair. I think they put it as Early Access but it's more like the TellTale way. It's being released in Episodes, I think. Not sure why they put it as early access though.

derExperte

Dead Rising 3 for ~25€: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2340-dead-rising-3-apocalypse-edition

Not as cheap as Russia afaik but not everyone wants to deal with trading.

I think Early Access here is totally useless. I mean, it's a point and click adventure, really you want play it again, and again, and again ?

? You can play one chapter each month.

We didn't see these problems all that much with Payday 1.

What's the difference?

Payday 2's WAY more XP/money-focused as a game. With Payday 1, you're just focusing on the heists. I honestly think metagame play actively harms the ability to play the game itself and creates toxic communities.

That's why I didn't get into P2 after loving P1 when it launched.

DocSeuss

We didn't see these problems all that much with Payday 1.

What's the difference?

Payday 2's WAY more XP/money-focused as a game. With Payday 1, you're just focusing on the heists. I honestly think metagame play actively harms the ability to play the game itself and creates toxic communities.

And then I made a thread.

aku:jiki

I totally forgot that Dundeon Defenders: Eternity is a thing that recently came out. Are people still angry about it?

I lost interest in Outland on 360, but maybe this PC port will rejuvenate my interest.
Probably not, considering it's not especially good. I feel like most people were just wowed by the art style and didn't notice the crap combat, the complete lack of depth in the "bullet hell mechanic", uninteresting level design and frustrating story/ending.

Whew... got the ribs trimmed and in the smoker, the BBQ sauce is simmering on the stove, and the green chile mac& cheese is baking in the oven. A pretty awesome lunch will be had by me today. Time to settle in with some Dead Rising 3.

Shadownet

Banned
I woke up today expecting this thread to be flooded with pigions. So far only a handful drawings. Sooooo not bad.

First it'd alpacas. Now its pigions...

this is why I love SteamGAF.

AHA-Lambda

I woke up today expecting this thread to be flooded with pigions. So far only a handful drawings. Sooooo not bad.

First it'd alpacas. Now its pigions...

this is why I love SteamGAF.

Actually what was the name of that alpaca dating sim again? Is it on Steam?

What, are you seriously getting offended by the Early Access label? :/

Because this is not really all that different from what Telltale does, or what they did with The Raven. Except that everyone who played The Raven at launch would probably argue treating that game as Early Access wouldn't have hurt.

Jawmuncher

Great video, thanks. This game looks like so much fun! Your video quality is really great. How do you record, with software or hardware?
Anyway spoiler!
The intro is such a lazy and boring one. Oh, man. They didn't even bother with CG or anything, just some text with paning camera.

Still the game for the most part does a good job of being a entry point for players.
Though like anything else playing them all gives the best look into it. Especially in the S ending.

fantomena

Great video, thanks. This game looks like so much fun! Your video quality is really great. How do you record, with software or hardware?
Anyway spoiler!
The intro is such a lazy and boring one. Oh, man. They didn't even bother with CG or anything, just some text with paning camera.

Thanks for the nice words. Ive really been thinking aobut being more active on YouTube, I guess this DR3 playthrough is a start.

Im also getting a mic pop filter so people only hear my voice, and not all the winds and shit coming out of my mouth. :)

Not just that, but ive also ordered Elgato Game Capture HD 60 in order to to console game videos. Will probably start with Destiny if I get my review copy early.

Edit: Almost forgot, Im using DXTORY to record, Blue Yeti as mic and Sony Vegas to compress.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, I asked for impressions on the Westerado demo, and was kindly gifted it by hardcastlemccormick to take it for a whirl. (Thanks, again!) The demo is short. Really short. So, it's hard to tell a whole lot about the game apart from core mechanics. I haven't played the one on the Adult Swim site, yet.

The Story: You're on a movie set here, and begin in a hubworld similar to most jRPGs of the golden SNES days. The dialog is mildly funny, with the added bonus that you can draw your gun on the NPC in the middle of their discussion. They usually react in some way. If you want, you can drop them; they land in satisfying thuds.

The Gunplay: It's wonky at first. There's a perspective to the camera angle of the game, so when I would fire, I would take this into consideration, like, say, Smash TV. But what happens is the bullet follows a path directly level to the height of the gun. Once you get this down, it starts to make sense. You can shoot off people's hats, 3 of which make up your health bar, if you git gud. The victim will then quiver with his/her hand in the air. I suppose you could spare them; I never did.

It has native controller support, and I highly suggest using it. Wielding a six-shooter, you have to manual reload each bullet. The pulls on the trigger feel right. The pace turns frenetic when there are multiple enemies, so the shoot/reload mechanic has a rhythm to it. There's also a slight delay when shooting the gun, which, I believe, is intentional, as it gives a feeling of weight to the gunshot.

The Fringe Stuff
Being a demo, most of this is just not fleshed out or available. It ends when you get to a fairly ominous part. It looked like a boss battle was about to begin, but I can't be sure. There's a shop and money involved, but none of that is available, so there's no telling what depth that would add. It certainly needs some depth. If there's a difference in hats that you can wear that isn't just cosmetic, I wouldn't know about it.

The pixel art isn't as stylized as something like Gods Will Be Watching or as enthralling as Risk of Rain. The desert setting means a lot of yellow. It's broken up where it can be with pops of color, a cactus here and a set piece there, which is welcome. I wouldn't call the game pretty, unfortunately. And I actually really like the current pixel art craze. If you don't, this ain't the one to change your mind.

TL;DR: Super unfinished, as demos are. Fun but shallow gunplay, currently. Mild humor. Mediocre pixel art.

How strict are Valve about VPN activations?

Because Wargame franchise pack is crazy cheap there, but the third game is region restricted.

JaseC

How strict are Valve about VPN activations?

Because Wargame franchise pack is crazy cheap there, but the third game is region restricted.

Keys are fine. Gifts may get you into trouble as you're using a VPN to aid in skirting region-specific pricing on the Steam Store itself, which directly impacts Valve's bottom line.

Keys are fine. Gifts may get you into trouble as you're using a VPN to aid in skirting region-specific pricing on the Steam Store itself, which directly impacts Valve's bottom line.

Yeah I figured as much, but my heart didn't want to believe it :/

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't ruin the ending. You are told about that even into your first playthrough. It's a twist but it's nowhere near the big shocker of the game. You are fine.
Thanks, that's good to know: I'm still mad about that, because I wanted to play it without knowing anything, but yeah...

Guess you can't avoid spoilers even when you actively try to. Next step: getting The Last of Us spoiled :/

Is there actually any proof or reports from people being banned from VPN-unlocking gifts?

JaseC

Is there actually any proof or reports from people being banned from VPN-unlocking gifts?

Not that I'm aware of, but it's essentially no different to using a VPN to assist with cross-region purchasing. The region locks are there for a reason.

ALt6b.png

(Note the last message.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom