• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Steam Summer Sale 2016] Indie-pendent Hidden Gem Recommendations

Victrix

*beard*
Doubling the recommendation for Dungeonmans.

I wrote a big post for it a few days ago (I guess technically an OT, but more like a super LTTP): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208173274

If you want to update the description Toma, I wrote a new one, and updated the screenshot, the one you have is like two years old :D

Dungeonmans - $7.49 (50% off)
iaG4Pp.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288120/

A dungeon crawling rpg with superb music, permadeath, and a randomized persistent world.

Easy to play and tough to master, Dungeonmans is perfect to get into the roguelike genre, with simple controls and permanent progression as you build up your Academy with every character.

Deep character customization with over 90 different skills, an explorable continent filled with temples and towers, crypts and caves, massive amounts of loot, and a sense of humor.

Largely the product of a single dev, Dungeonmans has been consistently (and freely!) updated since its release, adding new classes, items, monsters, dungeon types, retirement options for your heroes, an ironman mode, and even a post-game dungeon with its own special loot progression system.

ShogunX

Technobabylon - $5.99 (60% off)
ss_ca3caadff37a71dbaf4b06acb0ed9e1ffa81b46b.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307580/

Traditional point and click under the Wadjet Eye Games banner who are building quite the classic library I might add. Game takes place in a cyberpunk city controlled by a sentient AI, basically all of the sci fi/cyber cliché stuff we know and love. It's a fantastic game that has you playing as multiple protagonists (each have their own little play styles) to try and solve a mass murder case where information is being ripped out of victims brains. Lieutenant Joe Kenda would be proud.

baconcow

I was looking through the recommendations and got to Zombie Atom Smasher. Looking at the Steam page, the game is 25% recommended in the past 30 days. Seems the game no longer starts on Windows 10. Might want to make a note in your recommendation.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was looking through the recommendations and got to Zombie Atom Smasher. Looking at the Steam page, the game is 25% recommended in the past 30 days. Seems the game no longer starts on Windows 10. Might want to make a note in your recommendation.

Awww, that really sucks. Thanks for the heads up.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Follow up: I am also on Windows 10 and the game still works as flawlessly as ever for me. Will add a note though that there might be some compatibility issues.

Follow up: I am also on Windows 10 and the game still works as flawlessly as ever for me. Will add a note though that there might be some compatibility issues.
I tried the demo a few month back (after I upgraded) and it worked fine for me

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252030/

header.jpg

Valdis story, absolutely top-tier "Metroidvania" style action rpg is only 4$. If you have not played it you owe it to yourself. Hidden secrets, deep combat and some actual story meat. Multiple playable characters.

I recommended this elsewhere but I never pass up a chance to promote it. It's fantastic.

I LOVE both Legend of Grimrock games too. They are must-play in my opinion.

Age of Wonders III - $7.49 (75% off)
linkfilter

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226840/

A fantasy 4X that has it all; great gameplay, visuals, and music. With the two expansions, it has four full campaigns, lots of class/race/magic combinations, an endless amount of skirmishes, and a huge amount of variety. My game of the year 2014--fantasy in its final form.
Technobabylon - $5.99 (60% off)

This and Thea: The Awakening already in the thread? Y'all are doing fine work.

Amazing thread, Toma. Thanks for all the effort!

Downwell - $1.49 (50% off)
DOWNWELL-2-walljump.0.gif

http://store.steampowered.com/app/360740/

You fall down a well in search of treasure, killing monsters with nothing but the shoes on you feet... shoes that, apparently, shoot bullets. Fast-paced arcade style game platformer with shoot-em-up mechanics. Plenty of unlockable color palates, play styles that increase/decrease rate of shops, items and HP, and perks you earn per level to help you further down the well.

Storm Brewer

Neo Member
Fantastic thread as usual Toma!

The last few iterations of this thread got me to pick up Antichamber, VVVVVV and Spacechem and they were all excellent games. I see a bunch of stuff I'll have to add to the wishlist, already spent too much this sale. Just wondering how does half minute hero: second coming compared to the first one? Might be able to get enough card money to pick that up.

Stoze

I'd like to recommend Flywrench. It's 60 percent off right now and is incredibly well designed. It's just the right amount of difficulty to make you think "No way I'm ever beating that level" shortly before you actually manage to beat it. Soundtrack is awesome too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/337350/
sXuP14q.jpg

Got this a few days ago, it's fantastic. If I would've caught this last year it would've been on my GotY list easily. If you like the pacing and challenge of a game like Meatboy, you'll feel right at home here (though it plays very differently, it's hard to even call it a platformer). Also includes time trials and a very robust level editor.

The soundtrack is something to behold, makes it even more of a steal at this price point.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252030/

header.jpg

Valdis story, absolutely top-tier "Metroidvania" style action rpg is only 4$. If you have not played it you owe it to yourself. Hidden secrets, deep combat and some actual story meat. Multiple playable characters.

I recommended this elsewhere but I never pass up a chance to promote it. It's fantastic.

I LOVE both Legend of Grimrock games too. They are must-play in my opinion.

I played Valdis story a few years back and LOVED it. Anyone have any recommendations similar?

Got this a few days ago, it's fantastic. If I would've caught this last year it would've been on my GotY list easily. If you like the pacing and challenge of a game like Meatboy, you'll feel right at home here (though it plays very differently, it's hard to even call it a platformer). Also includes time trials and a very robust level editor.

The soundtrack is something to behold, makes it even more of a steal at this price point.
Picked up Flywrench and love it! Thanks for sharing the plugs.

Toma

Fantastic thread as usual Toma!

The last few iterations of this thread got me to pick up Antichamber, VVVVVV and Spacechem and they were all excellent games. I see a bunch of stuff I'll have to add to the wishlist, already spent too much this sale. Just wondering how does half minute hero: second coming compared to the first one? Might be able to get enough card money to pick that up.

Same idea with some more polish and better pacing. Fantastic game as well.

Fantastic thread. Dangerous, too. Just impulse purchased way too many indie games.

What did you pick up?

bede-x

Is Clandestine fully playable in Big Picture mode? It says that there's partial controller support and I don't want to use the keyboard/mouse for anything in-game aside from launching it..

Toma

Added all recommended games up to this point.

I can't begin to imagine the total number of hours it takes you to do one of these threads.

They used to take me 7-8 hours until the last sale. Since then I programmed some tools to make this a lot easier to update.

Toma

Also, we broke the 300 games barrier now :)

Here's my recommendation:

Reveal The Deep
Reveal the Deep is a very short, very enjoyable, very atmospheric part platformer, part puzzle, part horror, part walking simulator indie game that was to me the kind of fun I've had from no other game since Eric Chachi's Another World. Without spoiling too much, it's about a deep sea diver exploring and revealing the mysteries of a sunken explorer ship from the 19th century. In this 2 hour adventure, you will be doing some light platforming (although there is one frustratingly difficult jump at the very end), some puzzle solving (often involving pushing crates, pulling levers or stepping into an alternate reality), enjoying a wonderful spooky pixel setting that scares without being too oppressive and revealing the rather Lovecraftian fate of the derelict you are in. The game could definitely benefit from some tighter platforming but the recently added gamepad support should help with that. Regardless Reveal the Deep asks for neither much of your time or your money for what it offers, and I think you should play it.

baconcow

Ended up picking up The Long Dark, Subnautica, Risk of Rain, Creeper World 3: Eternal Arc, and Downfall. Also nabbeed ones I have on console: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth with Afterbirh DLC (have base game on PS+, but don't plan on subscribing this year and I want the upcoming DLC), Spelunky, and Rogue Legacy.

Subnautica and The Long Dark play very well with the Steam controller. The Long Dark even has an official profile, but you might want to tweak sensitivity as it is too hgh, IMO. Subnautica has an excellent user profile.

One question: is the newest expansion for Tales of Maj'Eyal worth buying at only 25% discount? I have not put much time in the base game or first DLC, yet, but enjoy more depth when possible.

Also, why no sale on Vagante or Factorio (I know, too new, but Vagante was on sale before)? :(

Toma

Ended up picking up The Long Dark, Subnautica, Risk of Rain, Creeper World 3: Eternal Arc, and Downfall. Also nabbeed ones I have on console: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth with Afterbirh DLC (have base game on PS+, but don't plan on subscribing this year and I want the upcoming DLC), Spelunky, and Rogue Legacy.

Subnautica and The Long Dark play very well with the Steam controller. The Long Dark even has an official profile, but you might want to tweak sensitivity as it is too hgh, IMO. Subnautica has an excellent user profile.

One question: is the newest expansion for Tales of Maj'Eyal worth buying at only 25% discount? I have not put much time in the base game or first DLC, yet, but enjoy more depth when possible.

Also, why no sale on Vagante or Factorio (I know, too new, but Vagante was on sale before)? :(

Factorio will never be on sale. Just buy it, its probably among the 5 best Indies released in the past 5 years.

And the ToME expansion basically add a completely new world with new classes, new story lines, new items etcetc on top. All totally worth it and I buy them just to support the dev, even if I dont get around to playing them much atm. If you arent swimming in money and you havent put THAT much time into base + dlc1 yet, you still have like a couple hundred hours of enjoyment waiting there as well though.

Wok

Factorio will never be on sale. Just buy it, its probably among the 5 best Indies released in the past 5 years.

The past 5 years! Hmmm.

Antichamber
Blocks That Matter
English Country Tune
FTL : Faster Than Light
Frozen Synapse
Nidhogg
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Spelunky
Stephen's Sausage Roll
The Binding of Isaac : Rebirth
The Witness
TowerFall Ascension

Toma

The past 5 years! Hmmm.

Antichamber
Blocks That Matter
English Country Tune
FTL : Faster Than Light
Frozen Synapse
Nidhogg
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Spelunky
Stephen's Sausage Roll
The Binding of Isaac : Rebirth
The Witness
TowerFall Ascension

FTL, Frozen Synapse, Witness, Factorio

See? Easy and still enough space for a 5th one. :p

Chris R

I'm not waiting for it to go on sale (though that would be nice) I'm waiting for it to be "finished"

I wish I could just remove everything Early Access related from Steam, at least I don't have to see it in the product queue when I'm grabbing my cards any more.

Toma

I'm not waiting for it to go on sale (though that would be nice) I'm waiting for it to be "finished"

I wish I could just remove everything Early Access related from Steam, at least I don't have to see it in the product queue when I'm grabbing my cards any more.

May I ask what your issue with the EA label in these cases is?

Factorio is very much "finished" in a way that other Indies provide post release content. Where is the difference between a polished, incredibly deep, content rich game that gets added content before or after leaving EA?

Chris R

May I ask what your issue with the EA label in these cases is?

Factorio is very much "finished" in a way that other Indies provide post release content. Where is the difference between a polished, incredibly deep, content rich game that gets added content before or after leaving EA?

Early Access to me means there are still core components of the game that aren't complete that will be added in the future. I've got a ton of games in my backlog, I can wait. When the developer thinks the game is ready to leave Early Access I'll be ready to buy.

Toma

Early Access to me means there are still core components of the game that aren't complete that will be added in the future. I've got a ton of games in my backlog, I can wait. When the developer thinks the game is ready to leave Early Access I'll be ready to buy.

Yeah, that isnt true for some EA games, where EA is basically just a preloaded post release content phase.

But I can see the reasoning, so have fun whenever you can join in :)

zulux21

because I was told to post indie games missing from the list.

20XX $8.99 (25% off) store link
header.jpg

While it is an EA title it already is far more polished than Might number 9. It's not just a simple megaman clone though, in fact it is like Megaman and Risk of Rain had a baby. Instead of premade levels you get randomly generated levels, which likely sounds bad to megaman fans, but in this case it is well done as it is clearly sections that are just chosen. As you play through you get powerups similar to risk of rain that increase things such as your attack power, or how much money things drop, and the levels get harder as you go through (and so do the bosses). At this time the story, and the final boss are missing, but there is still plenty of content to keep yourself entertained right now, and they are constantly updating it. Best part. it's fully co op online with a friend.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, alright. It can have the spot.

That simply will not do. Toki Tori 2+ can't be sixth, it's too good.
It is so good in fact that I would like everyone to take another look at it because it's a sublime puzzle game set in a metroid-like world.
All Toki Tori can do is chirp and stomp but despite that you still get to solve all kinds of problems. Now to explain the Metroid similarities: you can choose your path through the world but instead of finding power-ups you learn how to combine your skills with other mechanics that might not be immediately apparent and just like in Metroid you can skip those if you're smart enough. It has "bossfights" too. At its heart it's still a puzzle game though with tons of optional collectibles and easter eggs with their own minichallenges All this is done without any typical tutorials or even any words really. You'll just organically pick up on things and in my experience solutions never make you feel like an idiot but are rewarding and often useful further in the game. All this is acompanied by a really upbeat tunes (just listen to it) and pleasant visual style. Difficulty ramps up nicely and if you ever get stuck there's always tons more puzzles to solve elsewhere. It's a joy to play and can be yours now for just $1.49.

Amazing thread as always Toma. I don't really have anything to add to the list because you got too good at making these.

Fudo Myo

I put this in the other thread, but perhaps it should live here:

header.jpg

Currently 30% off at $/€6.99.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/441280/

You're an archaeologist turned into a rabbit by a pharaoh's curse when you were present at the opening of the tomb of Sehur the First. You have 7 days to collect 7 holy grails from around Egypt or die. Great pixel art and music, a wonderful little Castlevania-type game. I'm loving it so far.

Toma

because I was told to post indie games missing from the list.

20XX $8.99 (25% off) store link
header.jpg

While it is an EA title it already is far more polished than Might number 9. It's not just a simple megaman clone though, in fact it is like Megaman and Risk of Rain had a baby. Instead of premade levels you get randomly generated levels, which likely sounds bad to megaman fans, but in this case it is well done as it is clearly sections that are just chosen. As you play through you get powerups similar to risk of rain that increase things such as your attack power, or how much money things drop, and the levels get harder as you go through (and so do the bosses). At this time the story, and the final boss are missing, but there is still plenty of content to keep yourself entertained right now, and they are constantly updating it. Best part. it's fully co op online with a friend.

I put this in the other thread, but perhaps it should live here:

header.jpg

Currently 30% off at $/€6.99.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/441280/

You're an archaeologist turned into a rabbit by a pharaoh's curse when you were present at the opening of the tomb of Sehur the First. You have 7 days to collect 7 holy grails from around Egypt or die. Great pixel art and music, a wonderful little Castlevania-type game. I'm loving it so far.

Added both, thanks for the recommendations!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The definition of "complete" is arbitrary. If someone feels an EA game is worth the money in its current state then I see no problem with offering a recommendation. The game will only get better.

Top Bottom