• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Trading Cards : get trading cards and turn it into stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Valve pretty much put how to price microtransactions in the hands of the community.
God damn brilliant.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've been playing Portal 2 for about 40 minutes and I've obtained 2 cards so far. I like that the cards link to full sized pieces of concept art.

So I played Don't Starve for an hour or so (cool game, incidentally, check it out) and "got" two trading cards. I only got to day 3 and I'm a total noob, so it doesn't appear to be in-game actions that generate the cards but rather just playing the game at all.

yeah that FAQ indicates they want to encourage actually playing the game, rather than encouraging cheating or achievement unlockers to get the cards. Seems like a cool way to do it to me.

Here's the full FAQ answer:

Do I get Trading Cards for completing achievements in game?
Trading Card drops are currently just tied to playtime within a game, independent of which achievements you are getting. We will definitely look into adding more rules for how cards are dropped in the future, but there are a few problems with in-game achievements that prevented us from using them right now. Many games have achievements that are grindy or un-fun to get, and we want the act of getting game cards to be fun for all users in games. We also don't want to push users to cheat or use achievement-unlockers in games in order to get cards, since that devalues achievements and isn't that fun either. Achievements are still valuable, and having the Achievement Showcase on your community profile is a great way to show off those rare achievements.

Just trying to understand something here. So they drop at random, but for instance, do you need to play Half-Life 2 to get the Half-life 2 cards, or can you play any game and get any of the cards?

EDIT: Nvm.

ArjanN

I kinda like it this way so that I don't have to actually play DOTA2 :)

I guess. But I was kind of hoping they would put more emphasis on achievements. This seems like it just rewards people idling in-game more. It also means that I'd have to play game I'm already done with again if I want to get the cards.

Here's the full FAQ answer:

Do I get Trading Cards for completing achievements in game?
Trading Card drops are currently just tied to playtime within a game, independent of which achievements you are getting. We will definitely look into adding more rules for how cards are dropped in the future, but there are a few problems with in-game achievements that prevented us from using them right now. Many games have achievements that are grindy or un-fun to get, and we want the act of getting game cards to be fun for all users in games. We also don't want to push users to cheat or use achievement-unlockers in games in order to get cards, since that devalues achievements and isn't that fun either. Achievements are still valuable, and having the Achievement Showcase on your community profile is a great way to show off those rare achievements.

Oh, would be nice if they unlocked retroactively based on playtime as well then though.

And there's an Achievement Showcase now? That's cool.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Just trying to understand something here. So they drop at random, but for instance, do you need to play Half-Life 2 to get the Half-life 2 cards, or can you play any game and get any of the cards?

Cards are tied down to their respective game. Playtime within that game gives you those cards. I don't think you can even get cards from games you don't own, not sure.

If anyone wants to trade cards to see if such conditions are possible, I'll be available.

Nabs

I have an extra Willow card that I'm willing to trade for one I don't have (Maxwell, Wilson, Wolfgang).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The pillar of community stuff wont unlock :(

ArjanN

yeah that FAQ indicates they want to encourage actually playing the game, rather than encouraging cheating or achievement unlockers to get the cards. Seems like a cool way to do it to me.

The problem with that is that it's just going to turn into people idling in-game. :p

Demoli

I got one from the steam market

It got classifed as a game and i cannot launch it from my library

Anyone knows any solutions?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I got one from the steam market

It got classifed as a game and i cannot launch it from my library

Anyone knows any solutions?

It will just work. Your profile should have updated to the new version. Check the badges section.

Beta invitation prices keep climbing

EFxOjWQ.png

GET IN FOR $$$

buy my invites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom