• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

hitmon

I think I'll hold off on Batman Flash sale until this goes through. Anybody know how extensive Securerom is on Batman AC?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope this means the revision for SSF4AE gets rid of GFWL too.

Depends on whether the PC will see a separate release or the content delivered via DLC. If it's the former, Steamworks integration makes sense given Capcom's recent embracing of it, however if the plan is to (also) deliver the content via DLC, then GFWL will likely remain.

catabarez

Depends on whether or not the PC will see a separate release or the content delivered via DLC. If it's the former, Steamworks integration makes sense given Capcom's recent embracing of it, however if the plan is to (also) deliver the content via DLC, then GFWL will likely remain.

Don't do this to me Jase

Depends on whether the PC will see a separate release or the content delivered via DLC. If it's the former, Steamworks integration makes sense given Capcom's recent embracing of it, however if the plan is to (also) deliver the content via DLC, then GFWL will likely remain.

I really doubt Capcom would go through the effort of replacing GFWL in SSF4AE PC but I mean, they could just make it so SSF4H is 15$ if you own SSF4AE on Steam and $39.99 otherwise.

Edit: Although it is true, this would antagonize everyone who bought it through channels other than Steam.

It'd be nice if they provided some kind of 'upgrade' option for non-GOTY-edition owners of Arkham City while they were at it. I bought the regular version and all the DLC separately, and now all of that is no longer available because the GOTY edition is all they sell. It's not exactly a huge problem, but I'm stuck with my Steam list saying "Batman: Arkham City" right underneath "Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition". Burns me up inside :p

Grief.exe

It'd be nice if they provided some kind of 'upgrade' option for non-GOTY-edition owners of Arkham City while they were at it. I bought the regular version and all the DLC separately, and now all of that is no longer available because the GOTY edition is all they sell. It's not exactly a huge problem, but I'm stuck with my Steam list saying "Batman: Arkham City" right underneath "Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition". Burns me up inside :p

I would imagine they are going to sell the DLC on steam again, so you will be able to upgrade a la carte so to speak.

I think some more proof is that BioShock 2 DLC turned up as a second registry entry.
Ill be able to post more after I get back from this trip.

pa22word

I would imagine they are going to sell the DLC on steam again, so you will be able to upgrade a la carte so to speak.

I don't think they are going to be doing that unless they rip out GFWL entirely from AC, as a looooot of people had problems redeeming the DLC content in the game due to GFWL shenanigans. That's very likely the reason they pulled the DLC in the first place once the GOTY edition released.

The removal of GFWL would actually let me play Arkham City. My interest in the franchise died when I couldn't play the games WB. Ergo, please do this.

Let me take this thread to say that it's annoying that the Mac versions of both Batman and Bioshock games are exclusive to the Mac App store.

Most Mac ports are handled by 3rd party companies. Feral ported the Mac version of Batman, while Aspyr did the same for Bioshock.

The problem with Steam is that these companies not only do the porting job, they also handle the publishing themselves, neither 2K or WB. Because of this their titles can't be SteamPlay titles, if they were, there would be no easy way for knowing which publisher should get payed for each sale. This is a pretty shitty situation for Steam users, for example COD:BLOPS for Mac is a separate title in Steam. If you want to play it on Mac and PC, you've got to buy it twice.

Also about some games being "exclusive" for the Mac App Store, well, releasing both App Store and Steam versions is complicated. Civilization V has two Mac ports, the Mac App Store one only has Mac only LAN multiplayer, while the Steam one is the real deal.

tl;dr Don't buy games on the App Store. Ask publishers to release Steam versions.

Most Mac ports are handled by 3rd party companies. Feral ported the Mac version of Batman, while Aspyr did the same for Bioshock.

The problem with Steam is that these companies not only do the porting job, they also handle the publishing themselves, neither 2K or WB. Because of this their titles can't be SteamPlay titles, if they were, there would be no easy way for knowing which publisher should get payed for each sale. This is a pretty shitty situation for Steam users, for example COD:BLOPS for Mac is a separate title in Steam. If you want to play it on Mac and PC, you've got to buy it twice.

Also about some games being "exclusive" for the Mac App Store, well, releasing both App Store and Steam versions is complicated. Civilization V has two Mac ports, the Mac App Store one only has Mac only LAN multiplayer, while the Steam one is the real deal.

tl;dr Don't buy games on the App Store. Ask publishers to release Steam versions.

Great article there. Thanks for that.

I do next to no business with the App Store, so I was actually pretty ignorant to challenges it presents when it comes to games. Thankfully Aspyr has remained committed to Steam as well.

I didn't know the two Batman games had securom on them when bought on Steam, fucking hell. That kind of shit should come up in flashing lights when you add a game to your cart. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of this shit.

Duxxy3

If Bioshock 2 gets a steam version without the awful DRM, as well Minerva's den (i am not buying anything from the GFWL store), then I will double dip.

Chittagong

Gold Member
GFWL is forgivable even if shit, but the fact that in god's year 2013 I have to have the DVD in the tray to play Batman is disgraceful

pa22word

GFWL is forgivable even if shit, but the fact that in god's year 2013 I have to have the DVD in the tray to play Batman is disgraceful

I'm unashamed to admit I bought the Steam version just to get around this >.>

Well I mean I did make the jump from vanilla to GOTY, but still :p

Grief.exe

If Bioshock 2 gets a steam version without the awful DRM, as well Minerva's den (i am not buying anything from the GFWL store), then I will double dip.

Microsoft makes it difficult even if you wanted to buy something from that store.

Yet they blame the consumers for lack of interest in PC games after Halo 2, Gears, and paying for Live all flopped.

Grief.exe

I don't think they are going to be doing that unless they rip out GFWL entirely from AC, as a looooot of people had problems redeeming the DLC content in the game due to GFWL shenanigans. That's very likely the reason they pulled the DLC in the first place once the GOTY edition released.

My assumption is they are going to rip out GFWL.

The amount of time spent on qa_beta/test_update builds, Minerva's Den showing up, and other evidence in the OP certainly leans us towards the possibility.

I didn't know the two Batman games had securom on them when bought on Steam, fucking hell. That kind of shit should come up in flashing lights when you add a game to your cart. Now I have to figure out how to get rid of this shit.

Install enhanced Steam or check out PC gaming wiki's big list of DRM before purchase.

Any company that uses Securom are a bunch of ass holes.

Its a real 'fuck you' to your consumer base.

Nokterian

Worst part about AC..it uses Steamworks and GFWL and Securom..i mean WTF Warner Bros? The amount of stupid that is walking there baffles me.

dramatis

I really didn't like the GFWL thing when I played AA. I stopped in the beginning, and kind of oozed about not wanting to play more because I already forgot the password I cooked up for my account. In the end, I just uninstalled AA.

Grief.exe

I had so much trouble buying and downloading Minerva's Den thru GFWL two years ago. It was a total nightmare.

Its such a ridiculous quagmire.

Valve's strategy was to literally win people over with convenience, good will, and price.

Go listen to Gabe's interviews on breaking into Eastern Europe.

...then look at Microsoft's PC strategy.

BasilZero

The main reason why I decided not to buy Arkham Batman series is because of the stupid Limitation installs from SecuROM.

Hopefully it does get removed in the future - amazed that it is still there after all these years.

Edit: Is it true that GTA Episodes also has a limitation (I see that it has secuROM ugh)?

Unai

I was thinking about buying Arkham Origins on Wii U and double dipping on Arkham Asylum for ps3 so I could have all my batman games without GfWL. If this happens to be true I'll keep them all on PC.

Grief.exe

The main reason why I decided not to buy Arkham Batman series is because of the stupid Limitation installs from SecuROM.

Hopefully it does get removed in the future - amazed that it is still there after all these years.

Edit: Is it true that GTA Episodes also has a limitation (I see that it has secuROM ugh)?

GTA has

Steam
Securom
GFWL
Rockstar Social Club

I was thinking about buying Arkham Origins on Wii U and double dipping on Arkham Asylum for ps3 so I could have all my batman games without GfWL. If this happens to be true I'll keep them all on PC.

Whoa whoa.

Dont get hasty. My bet is AO will drop GFWL for Steamworks, I remember seeing some evidence for this but I am in a car right now.

I know the trailers didn't have the GFWL symbol.

Unai

GTA has

Steam
Securom
GFWL
Rockstar Social Club

Whoa whoa.

Dont get hasty. My bet is AO will drop GFWL for Steamworks, I remember seeing some evidence for this but I am in a car right now.

I know the trailers didn't have the GFWL symbol.

I own these Batman's games:
- Arkham Asylum (PC);
- Arkham City (PC, Wii U)

In order to have all the games without GfWL, I would have to buy the ps3 or 360 version of Arkham Asylum. That been said, I would buy the future Batman's games, like Arkham Origins, on Wii U, so this way most of them would be in one plataform.

Edit: I edited my post. English is not my native language.

AHA-Lambda

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I thought that Arkham Origins wasn't going to have GfWL, but I didn't want the series to be scattered through several plataforms, so since I already had Arkham City on Wii U I would buy Arkham Origins and the possible future games on Wii U too, and after that I woul buy Arkham Asylum for ps3 (since the Wii U doesn't have a version).

That's just crazy.

Grief.exe

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I thought that Arkham Origins wasn't going to have GfWL, but I didn't want the series to be scattered through several plataforms, so since I already had Arkham City on Wii U I would buy Arkham Origins and the possible future games on Wii U too, and after that I woul buy Arkham Asylum for ps3 (since the Wii U doesn't have a version).

Maybe this makes sense in your head lol

M*A*S*H

So Dawn of War 2 was just updated with a 260MB patch, which seems unusual for an old game. I wonder if, like CoH, relic are ditching gfwl and moving it over to steamworks.

Grief.exe

So Dawn of War 2 was just updated with a 260MB patch, which seems unusual for an old game. I wonder if, like CoH, relic are ditching gfwl and moving it over to steamworks.

Relic is now owned by Sega and they have already retroactively made CoH 1 Steamworks.

Who owns the 40k franchise rights now?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Am I the only person who buys PC games that only have GFWL on them?

or am I just an achievement whore of sorts?

There are videos of men having their nuts stomped on by women in high heels, so I guess anything is possible.

My guess is GFWL is about to be flushed down the toilet, and the developers want these games to continue working as they should (probably still make some nice money for them, especially during sales).

Does make me wonder if my theory is true what will happen to games that don't get patched to remove GFWL .....

Top Bottom