• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Too bad about its performance. It goes from 80ish fps all the way to 10 fps on my PC at 1440p.

Edit: the drops are sudden and the reasons are unknown. I get them even when staring at a wall.

They seem to happen when you look at the larger part of the level, even through walls. From what (very little) I know about video game level making, that seems to indicate a lack or poor implementation of "occlusion culling" the stuff that tells the engine not render things the player can't see, like anything past a wall.

I'd kinda guess it's one of those things that would take the actual level designers to optimize and from what the devs have said on twitter it sounds like they're not working on the game any more. It's a pity.

This is block-worthy material right here.

It's completely fine if you don't like it, but the fact that you decide to go on a gaming board to tell people a game is mediocre and has the same puzzles throughout the game because you watched a stream is insane. I mean I'm sure you hear how ridiculous that is. No one will take your opinion seriously, and it's not really clear what your motive is.

Is your goal to warn people of this game have you haven't played? Or do you want to discuss it because you're curious why people like it so much? Strange way to initiate a discussion but I guess it works in a way because you got people's attention.

It's pretty sad because you spoiled one of the best games of the generation for yourself.

Honestly, if I had bought it blind it would have been a lot more disappointing for me, so don't sweat it over me spoiling myself out of the experience. I have no agenda. I thought The Witness was something else, and what I saw was very underwhelming to me. You are free to recommend it because you enjoyed it.. If it insults you so much that I voice my dislike of it according to what I saw of it, then I'm sorry.. It's not like I have anything against the game. I just wouldn't want someone to feel the way I did after paying for it. And to make it clear, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Feel free to look around at Steam reviews of the game. Pretty much every negative review complains about the same thing. Some people did find it the way I described it, and it shouldn't really offend you that much. We don't have to like the same stuff. But that doesn't mean making a drama of the situation and telling the other side to shut the fuck up. If that is how you intend to make me give Witness a try, you may as well block me right away.

Knurek

Stop pushing crack on people.

If you think Picross is crack, how about Color Picross?

large.jpg

Honestly, if I had bought it blind it would have been a lot more disappointing for me, so don't sweat it over me spoiling myself out of the experience. I have no agenda. I thought The Witness was something else, and what I saw was very underwhelming to me. You are free to recommend it because you enjoyed it.. If it insults you so much that I voice my dislike of it according to what I saw of it, then I'm sorry.. It's not like I have anything against the game. I just wouldn't want someone to feel the way I did after paying for it. And to make it clear, I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Feel free to look around at Steam reviews of the game. Pretty much every negative review complains about the same thing. Some people did find it the way I described it, and it shouldn't really offend you that much. We don't have to like the same stuff. But that doesn't mean making a drama of the situation and telling the other side to shut the fuck up. If that is how you intend to make me give Witness a try, you may as well block me right away.

It doesn't offend me or insult me at all! You have every right to dislike it and I really don't mind if people don't like it, I mean that's just how things work. It's how things should work.

What I stated in my post was your way of conveying your thoughts about the game, and how you came to that conclusion.

Do you think it's constructive coming from a stream telling people how good a game is and that people shouldn't buy it, without actually playing it? Is this honestly something you would want to see other people do? People telling you a game is bad because they didn't feel satisfaction watching someone else playing a game; solving its puzzles; interacting with its mechanics.

If you're only curious as to why it's so popular because you thought it didn't look very special, why not just say that and leave it at that?

I don't own many things but I can judge their benefits just the same, no need to be anal about it. I came out and said my opinion is not based on gameplay, but watching it. That doesn't mean I'm not entitled to it.
That's like watching a video of a roller coaster and fhen saying you didnt enjoy the ride. Some games (I'd argue all games), you cant form an informed opinion by just watching

Freezard

My deals:

Skullgirls
Volgarr the Viking
Waves
Satellite Reign
Zombie Army Trilogy
Resident Evil 6 Complete
Resident Evil Revelations DLC
Steam Link

Sad that RE1 HD isn't more than 50% off :[

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I got

Planet Coaster
Project Highrise
Hitman 2017
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Mad Games Tycoon
Thea: The Awakening
Darkest Dungeon
Axiom Verge
Dead Rising
Castilla Maldita EX
Stardew Valley

r8

I finally played Need For Speed (Deluxe Edition) which I bought a week and a half ago from the Origin sale and yeah... Less than an hour and I had two crashes and on top of that it just felt bad even after tweaking. Didn't realize EA's refund policy was only seven days but after a little back and fourth I got a refund.

Maybe not enough time to get a grasp on the game but after Rivals it took a lot for me to just give it a chance and don't care that was enough for me.

My backlog additions this sale:

ARMA 3
Ultimate General: Civil War
Crusader Kings 2 expansions
Straimium Immortaly
Trash TV
Telepath Tactics
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
VA-11 HALL-A
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Massive Chalice
The Count Lucanor
Orwell
Why Am I Dead At Sea
The Sea Will Claim Everything

Ladekabel

Picking up Xanadu and Hitman really makes this Steam Sale special to me. Both are so good!

In Xanadu I'm currently
the second time in the mountain with the stronger Salamanders, fire bats and Griffons.
Can someone give me an estimate of how much I have left? Preferably in hours. Though I gotta say I tend to grind for money so I can buy the gear.

Remmy2112

My total haul from the sale was pretty good.

Space Pirates and Zombies 2
Mad Games Tycoon
Shovel Knight
Prison Architect
RimWorld
Death Road to Canada
Total War: Attila
Age of Decadence.

I made out pretty good.

Nere

Thinking of buying modern warfare 2 to play online, used to love this game but the game was full of hackers both in xbox and ps3. How is online on PC? Are there people still playing it or it isn't worth it?

Just found out the Thumper soundtrack is on spotify. Fuck it is amazing. This might end up being my favorite game this year. It is so fucking intense.

The track that plays at the end of each level might be the darkest and most horrid 'stage complete' type song I have ever heard.

Amazing game.

I picked up Paint it Black, Furi, House in Fara Morgana, Steins;Gate, House of the Dying Sun and a couple of others during the sales. I am quite happy.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just found out the Thumper soundtrack is on spotify. Fuck it is amazing. This might end up being my favorite game this year. It is so fucking intense.

The track that plays at the end of each level might be the darkest and most horrid 'stage complete' type song I have ever heard.

Amazing game.

I picked up Paint it Black, Furi, House in Fara Morgana, Steins;Gate, House of the Dying Sun and a couple of others during the sales. I am quite happy.

Enjoy Fata Morgana and be blessed by the OST

omg_mjd

Anyone run Dark Souls 2 SOTFS on integrated graphics? So tempted to get the PC version and just save my PS4 for Dark Souls 3.

Any closing recommendations for super-lightweight games that'll play on low-powered machines like the Apple Macbook?

Not sure if they're Mac native but these games are very well-optimized and run at 720p 60FPS on my i3 laptop:

Skullgirls
Guacamelee!
Pix the Cat

Even Skyrim can run at 60FPS medium settings
(at 800x600).

Not sure if they're Mac native but these games are very well-optimized and run at 720p 60FPS on my i3 laptop:

Skullgirls
Guacamelee!
Pix the Cat

Even Skyrim can run at 60FPS medium settings
(at 800x600).

Pix The Cat is a great game. Reminds me a bit of Pac Man Championship Edition DX+

Jintor

yo mad game tycoon is actually hella sick if you can look past the godawful art, the repetitive soundtrack and the complete lack of explanation (thank god for steam community)

makes me want another game dev story...

Yo GAF, if I can only get one 'Zeal shmup, which one should it be...?

(or do I get The Hurricane of the Varstray instead lol)

I bought Dead Rising 2 Off the Record

I'm now asking for a refund because the game doesn't support my Xbox One Controller :|

Just...how. how how how how how

Ok, so a grey outline means offline, blue online, green in-game but what does a yellow/gold outline mean? Just saw one pop up and I'm pretty sure I've never seen it before.

I refunded it ages ago as well, it only recognises official 360 ones, no 3rd party ones either. They said they would patch it but never bothered.

Well I glad I didn't buy it, I was considering it but that's a deal breaker.

for what it is worth

https://steamcommunity.com/app/45770/discussions/0/611701360831384125/?ctp=2#c357284767248282040

I managed to get my Xbox One controller working with the game. Here's the steps:
1) Get “x360ce.App-2.1.2.191.zip” (a quick google search will find it).
2) Extract the “x360ce.exe” out of the zip folder. Then copy/move it into your Dead Rising 2 Off The Record folder (default path is C:/programfiles(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/Dead Rising 2 Off The Record).
3) Plug in your Xbox One Controller.
4) Run “x360ce.exe”.
5) Click yes when it asks to create each missing file.
6) Next, a box should come up saying “New Device Detected – Controller (Xbox One for Windows)”. In this box the options “Search Automatically for Settings” and “Search the Internet” should both already be selected. Click next.
7) A search result should come up for Dead Rising 2 Off The Record. Click Finish.
8) In the bottom right corner click Save, then close the application.
9) In your Dead Rising 2 Off The Record Folder open up “x360ce.ini” which should have been created. In this file find where it says
[InputHook]
HookMode=1

And change it to

[InputHook]
HookLL=0
HookCOM=1
HookSA=0
HookWT=0
HOOKDI=1
HOOKPIDVID=1
HookName=0
HookMode=0

10) Now save the ini file and close it. Run your game and the controller should be working!

neonglow

Here's my final Steam haul for this sale:

Papers, Please
ABZU
SquareCells
Batman: Arkham Knight Premium Edition
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Don't Starve
Don't Starve Together
Invisible, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.