• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I mainly mopped up some older releases that I wanted to add to my library for posterity, didn't buy anything new the entire sale.

Has nothing to do with the structure of the sale or the level of discount, I just don't need anything.

Both of my sons picked up KOTOR 1 and 2 last night. Son #1 fired up KOTOR 1 only to realize, no controller support. Ugh. He ploughed through regardless, created a character, and then the game froze.

Ugh o rama.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
yo mad game tycoon is actually hella sick if you can look past the godawful art, the repetitive soundtrack and the complete lack of explanation (thank god for steam community)

makes me want another game dev story...

I really hate it that you need to look up a guide for better scores, and how your early games could only scratch 50%

Nabs

I picked up Momodora - ...Moonlight, Turok, PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate, and GTA V. I'm happy with my buys. I'm almost done with Momodora, and I can barely put GTA down.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Both of my sons picked up KOTOR 1 and 2 last night. Son #1 fired up KOTOR 1 only to realize, no controller support. Ugh. He ploughed through regardless, created a character, and then the game froze.

Ugh o rama.

PCgamingwiki has some instructions on getting gamepads to work, and some common crash solutions. They also have links to Steam and GOG community forums which can be helpful.

If I remember right, KotORs got some pretty good mods too for various additional content and quality of life stuff. KotOR 2 has a lot cut content that can be patched back in as well.

Eblo

Managed to sell enough cards to get the exact amount of money to buy TIS-100. Thank you Valve for free money

Grief.exe

Ugh o rama.

Kotor needs a lot of work unfortunately, but KOTOR 2 has been updated recently by Aspyr to run properly on modern OS, resolutions, control methods, and even added in Steam Workshop support for convenience.

Tizoc

My backlog additions this sale:

ARMA 3
Ultimate General: Civil War
Crusader Kings 2 expansions
Straimium Immortaly
Trash TV
Telepath Tactics
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
VA-11 HALL-A
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Massive Chalice
The Count Lucanor
Orwell
Why Am I Dead At Sea
The Sea Will Claim Everything

feel free to Post about the PC games you've beaten or played in the Steam OT when it goes up. We always appreciate impressions on games from fellow GAFfers :3
Oh and start with Oath in Felghana before Origin if you could~

Started playing BioShock Remastered. The world-building is really good, and the mix of powers + gunplay can be fun. I dislike how they limit your use of said powers by making EVE kinda hard to come by though. I'm always low on it. And I dunno... FPS games get on my nerves really easily for some reason. I'll try to see it through to the end but I had to stop playing this morning because I was starting to get annoyed for no particular reason.

Sch1sm

I only bought Paint It Back and Sethian for myself, everything else was like $60 worth of Christmas gifts. Really loving Paint It Back, though. And Sethian has just been on my radar for a while now. I was gonna buy Strata, but it's never on sale (been on my wishlist for literally 2 years now), so next I have CDN$4.49 lying around at the end of my budget, I'll buy it, I guess. 😂

Started playing BioShock Remastered. The world-building is really good, and the mix of powers + gunplay can be fun. I dislike how they limit your use of said powers by making EVE kinda hard to come by though. I'm always low on it. And I dunno... FPS games get on my nerves really easily for some reason. I'll try to see it through to the end but I had to stop playing this morning because I was starting to get annoyed for no particular reason.

Are you sure that reason wasn't "the pipe dream minigame?"

BobLoblaw

Banned
I only ended up getting Earth Defense Force 4.1. These Steam sales suck balls now. I'm just glad I was around when the discounts used to be 60-75% instead of the 30-50% crap they have now. :|

Barring any last minute purchases, I ended up with:

Endless Legend - Tempest (DLC)
Twilight Struggle
Ikaruga
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
The Witness
Resident Evil 4
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
FINAL FANTASY XIV + Heavensward (DLC)
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (DLC)
XCOM 2 - Shen's Last Gift (DLC)
Stronghold Crusader HD

I don't think I've spent more than 10 hours playing an MMO in the past, but I've been interested in trying out FFXIV for a while now. I figure I'll at least give it the free month to see how it goes.

Trying to reign in my spending only got INSIDE, Broken Sword 3 & 4, and Verde Station thanks to trading in some old 360 games to Gamestop

The House in Fata Morgana - Chapter VII (no this isn't over yet)

4da.gif

3d088a42a512fc3ae83f9bd209dd31e0.gif

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
And soulcrushing.

Going on my GOTY-list for sure.

Damn, this game looks very interesting, and atmospheric.

header.jpg

feel free to Post about the PC games you've beaten or played in the Steam OT when it goes up. We always appreciate impressions on games from fellow GAFfers :3
Oh and start with Oath in Felghana before Origin if you could~
Who's doing the OT this month btw? I usually try to submit monthly release blurbs

Still looking for 2x Just 5 More Minutes cards, have lots of others from the set, please send offers

EDIT: Too late, I got impatient and bought them instead

Tizoc

Who's doing the OT this month btw? I usually try to submit monthly release blurbs

MRORANGE has been posting the OTs for the longest time and he already has Jan's thread written up. It might go up in about an hour though I'd rather it go up already :p

Zapages

My haul this year:

GTA 1-5
Bastian
Transistor
Inside
Assassin's Creed Chronicles (China, India, and Russia)

This should last me the whole year and some more. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
are there any games like cook,serve,delicious currently out on Steam?

It depends what element you're looking for. Cook, Serve, Delicious descends from the time management genre that goes back as far as Tapper (1983). There are dozens of games broadly in this genre on Steam, including the Dash series (Diner Dash, Wedding Dash, Fitness Dash, etc.) Chubigans' other game, The Oil Blue, is also a time management game. A brief search even says there's dozens of Cooking-related time management games on Steam like Cooking Academy Fire and Knives, The Cooking Game, Cooking Dash.

Overcooked is maybe the hottest game that's at all connected in design to Cook, Serve, Delicious right now. It's couch co-op oriented, has a top-down view, but it is themed around cooking and mechanically designed around efficiently trying to put recipes together while juggling jobs. Local multiplayer only, btw.

I believe Job Simulator VR has a cooking mode too, but there's an upcoming first-person line cook game that looks really good. I just can't remember the name. A GAF member works on it.

Finally, Cook Serve Delicious 2 is coming out soon!

Cant decide on Darkest Dungeon or not. I love turn based stuff but i don't think I like the sound of the terrible grinding.

I also thought it was tempting, until I read that it takes about 80h to beat it, and the new planned "short mode" the devs are doing will still take 40h.

Made my final small purchases of the sale.

Pony Island
Hot Tin Roof
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Heard plenty of praise for Pony Island, any impressions for the other two?

Get the game you spoiler tagged. You won't regret it.
Ok, I got Varstay...Jesus Chirst I swear I should have gotten hit by 99.9% of the bullets thrown at me...I have no Idea how I survived the first 6 levels on normal arcade mode in my very first play lol

Great game, exactly what I needed. Thanks for the rec! =)

MRORANGE

The new thread willl be up around 9pm GMT time.

Please use this thread for posting what you bought during this sale as no one will care in the new thread.

In the mean time think of a witty title for the new thread.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Got the Age of Empires 2 HD Bundle as a last minute purchase. Enjoy that game a lot and hopefully the expansions can keep me busy.

Nabs

Made my final small purchases of the sale.

Pony Island
Hot Tin Roof
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Heard plenty of praise for Pony Island, any impressions for the other two?

I liked Max for the most part. The first half was kind of a drag, because they kinda drip feed you your skills. The game gets much better when you're given all your skills. It's about a 4.5 hr game, so it's worth checking out.

Tizoc

Please use this thread for posting what you bought during this sale as no one will care in the new thread.

Hmm
'New Year, Same Old Bitching'
?

All I got are Crom related subtitles.

Knurek

sTEAM Thread January 2017 - Frankly Absurd Total Amount of Meticulously Organized Random Games Amassed Next to Advent

Aaron D.

So I've adopted a new philosophy for big Steam sales this year. I noticed that in the past I was gobbling up titles of interest simply because they were so deeply discounted for a limited time. The idea being that I would get to them some time down the road when my current rotation freed up a bit. It took me a long time to realize that this basically never happens. By the time I was ready to try something new sometime later, my interests were already elsewhere. So that big collection of Steam Sale games I picked up for a rainy day just sat there 90% untouched.

I decided that for the moment I'm only willing to buy games that I'm ready to play Right Now. It's reduced my purchasing dramatically yet also increased my buy to play ratio to 100% over the past couple sales. I couldn't be happier with the results. No pressure to stockpile. No guilt over a dusty, unplayed pile. Feels liberating.

So the only purchases I made for myself this time around were;

Darkest Dungeon
Subnautica
Lakeview Cabin Collection

I've already put significant time into each and look forward digging deeper. Esp. Darkest Dungeon (** swoon **).

There's a number of games I did want to pull the trigger on...Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor, Orwell, Even The Ocean, Lisa, Firewatch and more. But I just knew I wouldn't be playing them anytime soon. But who knows? With the money I'm saving I just might pick any of these up individually at full price when I'm ready to actually sit down and enjoy them.

Anyway, great sale overall. Quite enjoyed reading everyone's activity and "should I or shouldn't I?" queries. This is always one of my favorite forum topics of the year.

Anno

Goodbye Winter Seal. Until next year.

End-of-sale day last year had Steam concurrent users at 12.2 million, and today we're pushing towards 14m. Currently 13.83. Another year of solid Steam user growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom