• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamOS out now (beta)

Sentenza

Just out of curiosity... Is there someone out there already doing comparative benchmarks with Windows and similar stuff?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I would be very surprised if SteamOS performs even on par with Windows. It's still early days and the first Linux ports will probably not be all that great.

I can't remember where I read it but some devs were already reporting quite a speed bump going from Windows to Linux. The API layer is pretty thin on Linux and SteamOS is built for gaming and won't have loads of processes in the background chewing CPU time.

Au{R}oN

Banned
SteamOS is all about changing that view which many people hold, though. The whole point of this project is to make things so that Linux+Games is just as good a choice as Windows+Games.

The OS (linux) isn't a bad idea at all, the problem is the fact that 90% of the game devs, will not release a linux version of the game.

I can't remember where I read it but some devs were already reporting quite a speed bump going from Windows to Linux. The API layer is pretty thin on Linux and SteamOS is built for gaming and won't have loads of processes in the background chewing CPU time.

Valve reported perf increase with L4D2 last year: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Have any users or sites done performance comparisons yet?

haven't seen any yet

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Valve reported perf increase with L4D2 last year: http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Yes. That was one of them. I saw something else by another dev who also reported the same thing.

I think the future is going to be very bright for SteamOS. Over time, the kernel and drivers will improve and devs will be getting extremely good performance from your hardware without the bloat of Window.

Hopefully it will be massively successful and MS will once again realise that they had a golden opportunity to provide a low resource thin API gaming OS but couldn't be bothered.

I can't wait to see how this ride will turn out.

Dicer

Banned
Just use Big Picture mode in Windows. More games are compatible with it than linux. What is the point of Steam OS again?

It'll catch up..and steamOS will have less backend going on which means more muscle for games.

Why are people so resistant to a little change?

Moronie

Banned
OMG.... this OS is a big joke, not more.
What a crap.

This is the challenger vs Windows? Really?!
hahahahahah...ahahahahahaha..hahahahahahaha.

Welcome in the past NeoGaf.

cyberheater

What a crap.

Please explain why this OS is a big joke? You sound like a MS shill to me?

Just use Big Picture mode in Windows. More games are compatible with it than linux. What is the point of Steam OS again?
To stream titles from the pc into the living room, and eventually have a more robust interface. More options, what people make in addition to the foundation steam lays with the OS. If major titles are not interested in the platform, as influence will come from sales of steam machines, it becomes a larger markert for independant developers and this does not seem like a romantic ideal.

Its not to challenge windows, one could install windows on a steam machine.

yeah

Coomer/Valve said:
Users should not consider SteamOS as a replacement for their desktop operating system. SteamOS is being designed and optimized for the living room experience.

There's no competition in here, no replacement, this is an option for users. An option which right now is in early beta and shouldn't be judged until much later.

How many times does this have to be said?

Exuro

As was said above, Valve have control over the OS. Obviously games won't be up to snuff originally but they are able to do things on Linux that they can't do on windows like the custom graphics compositor. Launching/exiting games is pretty smooth comparably speaking.

We really don't have much of an idea what Valve's plans are for SteamOS in the future(I'm hoping for continued customization that can't be replicated on Windows by them), but its an okay start so far. BPM itself is the biggest limiting factor right now. There are several features that need implementing for parity to the desktop client. They're slowly rolling those features out so we'll eventually get them but until then the idea of using SteamOS won't be entertained by me.

I know Valve say SteamOS isn't a desktop replacement, but I could see them moving towards it after BPM get perfected.

What a crap.

image.php

Really? That would be amazing, I don't know anything about Linux so I assumed a performance increase would not be possible at first.

It'll catch up..and steamOS will have less backend going on which means more muscle for games.

Why are people so resistant to a little change?

You think so? Today's games are mostly multi-platform (PC & Consoles) and Windows allows them to port console game seemelessly saving them $$ in the long run. Why would they be motivated to develop for Linux as well when huge user base is already established on Windows?

yeah

There's no competition in here, no replacement, this is an option for users. An option which right now is in early beta and shouldn't be judged until much later.

How many times does this have to be said?

It doesn't matter how many times you say it, some people will never understand. There has been an unbelievable amount of resistance to all of valve's new initiatives (SteamOS, Steam Box, Steam Controller) these past few months. It's pretty incredible.

Really? That would be amazing, I don't know anything about Linux so I assumed a performance increase would not be possible at first.

That's like the entire point of SteamOS, why did you think they made it if not for performance increases?

Not sure what exactly people were expecting from a beta or a Linux distro? Lmao.
Will be hilarious to see these people eat massive amounts of crow a couple of years from now. Can't wait to get rid of Windows for gaming.

To stream titles from the pc into the living room, and eventually have a more robust interface. More options, what people make in addition to the foundation steam lays with the OS. If major titles are not interested in the platform, as influence will come from sales of steam machines, it becomes a larger markert for independant developers and this does not seem like a romantic ideal.

Its not to challenge windows, one could install windows on a steam machine.

So you would need 2 separate devices (Windows PC and SteamOS PC) to get complete Steam experience.
Why???????????

So you would need 2 separate devices (Windows PC and SteamOS PC) to get complete Steam experience.
Why???????????

Personally I'm excited for SteamOS because it is designed from the ground up for gaming. That means a level of optimization, responsiveness and performance that Windows can't match due to its nature as a productivity OS. And it's open, if you care about that sort of thing, and it's free! Why would anyone be hostile towards it, I have no idea.

Why???????????

Apples and oranges today, maybe a fruit salad tomorrow? Some people don't need two devices, I don't. I'll build a pc next year and call it whatever I want. Eventually I might be able to dual boot and an install won't force [all?] discs to reformat with Steam OS and it will be kept on a partition or second drive. I'd just say look into it over the coming months to see what responses are, its early. If you don't need it, don't use it; but don;t hate on it out of a lack in personal need. I think this has great potential but I'm admittedly bias.

cyberheater

Personally I'm excited for SteamOS because it is designed from the ground up for gaming. That means a level of optimization, responsiveness and performance that Windows can't match due to its nature as a productivity OS. And it's open, if you care about that sort of thing, and it's free! Why would anyone be hostile towards it, I have no idea.

Indeed. You've summed up perfectly why this is going to be awesome.

By this time next year steamOS will be the HTPC operating system of choice.

calling it now.

I really hope you are right. Then I'll have no reason to ever buy another MS operating system ever again.

pixlexic

Banned

people do not like change.
Valve is the seed.
They are giving others a reasons to make applications for linux.

It might not be an instant movement but it will get more/better games and applications on linux.

dvize

Banned
By this time next year steamOS will be the HTPC operating system of choice.

calling it now.

The only potential problem area i see is the maintenance of drivers for your hardware (wi-fi adaptors, specialized controllers like fighting joysticks). It would require manufacturers to really kind of customize drivers for the user. and adoption rate. New games i could see coming specific for the linux distro, but developers probably don't want to go back and redo their game engines.

I used linux for a little bit and I remember it was a nightmare getting hardware to run. Having to edit config files and just even finding the information was tough. I'm not saying this is a bad idea. In fact, it's healthier for the market. I'm just saying this is a huge barrier that they have to overcome.

GravyButt

So why would I install this?

Say I have my gaming pc in my office, and a cheap older desktop in my living room hooked to my tv, am I able to stream games from my gaming pc to my livingroom pc/tv? My living room pc has some really outdated muscle btw.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
One thing that would make me install this on my HTPC is if you could control essential media apps with a 360 controller, and you could download/manage dl's with the steam web browser.

In the meantime, is there any interface for windows that does this stuff already, like a 10-foot controller interface for these basic needs?

Top Bottom