• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SteamSpy] Nier: Automata hit 200k copies in less than 2 weeks

For the sake of your sanity, MSAA should be forever disabled on all default presets 😁

Why people insist every late port is due to double-dipping? it could be resourcing and bandwidth limitations.

Because in many instances, it is. Resourcing isnt infinite but it's not like you cant manage it for like 95% of the releases.

To be totally honest this is a fantastic performance, especially considering how incredibly niche the first game was. SE / Platinum have to be thrilled with how this title has been performing, and I think its very fair to say we will see the Nier franchise continued.

And it still has an upcoming release on Steam in Asian territories. Good shit.

Would be nice if SE finally got the hint and quit with their usual delayed release shenanigans. Most of their contemporaries have had their shit together for a bit now.

Because in many instances, it is. Resourcing isnt infinite but it's not like you cant manage it for like 95% of the releases.

Yeah. Most western devs throw PC into the mix Day 1/Release window no problem (well... they still do a lot of patching on every platform tbh.)

Satch

Banned
i am surprised by how elated i am about this. i usually dont care too much about sales of anything i play as long as i enjoy it in the end (most of my favorite franchises tank), but this makes me feel fantastic

yoko taro and platinum absolutely need to stay together. they suit each other very well

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Merge Taro into Platinum and make him a permanent part of the team to diversify their creative talent.

Another funny thing is that China is the #2 country after US, despite that the game is NOT released in the Chinese region.

Lol that's certainly hilarious. The game will get a huge boost when Asian version actually released.

It's pretty popular here mainly due to the cosplay community.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
FYI: There's no NieR:Automata for SEA region I believe.

feel

This makes me happy. It's such a beautiful, brilliant, engrossing and unique game that carves its own path and plays by no other game's rules. <3

mrlion

See SE? There's nothing wrong with releasing your games to PC...I bet you anything if you release Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 it'll sell like hotcakes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Worldwide keys work for the regions without release.

As do region-free gift copies, which is why some Asian territories are listed in the geographical spread, but those numbers are going to rise significantly once the game is actually available on the Steam Store itself.

How do we know that without industry experience?

Because that's how developpement for big companies work ? I mean, like when we knew FFX HD developpement for PC was ready 9 months before launch ?

If you're a company like SE, you can always contract another company for a port. There are countless competent studios like QLOC.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Undeserved because it's a shit port. My first steam refund, I hope they patch it because I really want to play it!!

This is not a shit port, and all the bitching about it is why people roll their eyes at PC gamers and call us entitled. It's a solid port with some issues. It performs reasonably well (roughly equal to the console version on similar hardware), the resolution isn't locked, and it has several graphics options. Yes, it needs a patch to fix some of the stuff done in the community fix, and there is some sort of conflict with AMD's drivers, but let's not overlook the fact that there are actual shit ports out there with far more serious problems and no support or intention of fixing them. *Glaring in Koei Tecmo's general direction

How do we know that without industry experience?

The companies that intentionally delay PC ports are heavily outnumbered by ones that do day and date (or close) ones, aren't they? Certainly a company like SE has the resources to make it happen, since it is only a problem with their Japanese titles and not western ones.

duckroll

Because that's how developpement for big companies work ? I mean, like when we knew FFX HD developpement for PC was ready 9 months before launch ?

If you're a company like SE, you can always contract another company for a port. There are countless competent studios like QLOC.

It's not a good idea to make blanket statements like that. Different projects have different circumstances. It is not always possible to focus on as many platforms as possible for various reasons. Having said that though, if a publisher decides to commit to a platform early on in development, it's certainly just a matter of good management to budget out the resources and time needed for the port.

It's not a good idea to make blanket statements like that. Different projects have different circumstances. It is not always possible to focus on as many platforms as possible for various reasons. Having said that though, if a publisher decides to commit to a platform early on in development, it's certainly just a matter of good management to budget out the resources and time needed for the port.

It's not really a blanket statement though. I can get that you cant focus on many platforms because of budget constraints. I can get that for smaller projects that run on non multiplatform engines or which have a too small scope.

But on the other hand, countless smaller publishers manages day and date multiplatform releases just fine.

I'm talking here about one of the biggest publisher worldwide. If you cant make inhouse port because of various reasons, you can always contract help.

Then again, countless publishers, even indies can manage it. And Nier is just another exemple of how it's a better investment than releasing later. And then again, we also have concrete exemples thanks to SteamDB leaks of SE delaying port releases that were ready 9 months before release.

Top Bottom