• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SteamSpy] Nier: Automata hit 200k copies in less than 2 weeks

https://steamspy.com/app/524220
Owners: 206,249 ± 12,807

Apparently it's a new record for SquareEnix. For a niche game and at $60 on top of that, it's one of their fastest selling games on Steam. It has even generated more revenue than any of the Final Fantasy games has generated lifetime. Releasing the game at the same time as console certainly help, I guess?

Moreover, the game is still selling pretty well and it'll only get more sales from this point. There's also still Asian version which is still region-locked and will be released in April.
sGfN5V8.png

I wonder if SE will take a note or two from this.

Dio

Banned
Deserved. For me, this game has ascended the throne of all-time favorites. It deserves even more, and all five 'main endings' are a blast. They are really more like 'chapters' than playthroughs (except for most of route B) but still.

Playing this game for the first time is like being messed with in MGS2 for the first time, or playing Undertale - which is a similar sort of experience to Taro's first Nier title. It has things to say, important ones, and is a piece of game history that hopefully will not be soon forgotten.

kewlmyc

And this is despite the PC version having issues that require a mod to fix. It's Dark Souls all over again.

Well deserved. Just hit route B and I'm really liking the game so far.

Exentryk

Releasing at near the same time as consoles is important. Namco has seen the light, and hopefully SE starts seeing it too.

Espada

This game deserves all those sales and more, what a goddamn experience it was to play through it. Good to see games like this and Nioh doing well.

That weird feeling when you have absolutely nothing to do with the creation of a game, and yet seeing it do well fills you with all the stupid pride in the world.

I'm so happy for Taro and the whole team. They really deserved this win.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Happy. This is the timeline we've all been working towards to. Thanks to the Nier:A team especially.
That weird feeling when you have absolutely nothing to do with the creation of a game, and yet seeing it do well fills you with all the stupid pride in the world.

mmh reluctant to ask since it's off topic but since I'm basically seeing you right here, would love to know if you might appear on some podcast in the near future talking persona 5 indepth/spoilers. Saw your recent tweets and would love to listen to you being part of a discussion. Enjoyed when you appeared on the Bloodgod(at least I believe it was a blood god cast, sry if I'm misremembering) cast but since it was only Japanese back then the discussion was somewhat more one sided.

kswiston

https://steamspy.com/app/524220
Owners: 206,249 ± 12,807

Apparently it's a new record for SquareEnix. For a niche game and at $60 on top of that, it's one of their fastest selling games on Steam. It has even generated more revenue than any of the Final Fantasy games has generated lifetime. Releasing the game at the same time as console certainly help, I guess?

Moreover, the game is still selling pretty well and it'll only get more sales from this point. There's also still Asian version which is still region-locked and will be released in April.

I wonder if SE will take a note or two from this.

I assume that you are only counting their Japanese output, which almost universally consists of very late ports.

FFXV could have moved Metal Gear Solid V numbers if it was a concurrent release. We'll see how it does a year after the fact. I suppose if it is the complete version with all DLC and a bump to 4k, it could end up with respectable numbers at a $50-60 MSRP.

tuxfool

Banned

People like underdogs.

JBwB

Glad to say that I purchased one copy of it myself. Fairly decent port from my experience.

Amazing game.

tuxfool

Banned
FFXV could have moved Metal Gear Solid V numbers if it was a concurrent release. We'll see how it does a year after the fact. I suppose if it is the complete version with all DLC and a bump to 4k, it could end up with respectable numbers at a $50-60 MSRP.
Given how FFXV ended up I'm not paying that for a year late port (might be even longer). I question whether lot of other people would either.

I assume that you are only counting their Japanese output, which almost universally consists of very late ports.

That's right. But even their Western games like the new Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex barely reached 200k in two weeks. Nier sales is comparable to those much bigger franchises and that what makes it exceptional.

Given how FFXV ended up I'm not paying that for a year late port (might be even longer). I question whether lot of other people would either.

This is true. They've lost their only chance.

iavi

That's right. But even their Western games like the new Tomb Raider, Hitman, and Deus Ex barely reached 200k in two weeks. Nier sales is comparable to those much bigger franchises and that what makes it exceptional.

Human Revolution sold some amount way over 200k on Steam its first week, iirc.

Jotakori

Hell yeah!
This game instantly made it to the top end of my favorites list, it's great to hear it's doing so well. Absolutely deserved.

Ferrio

Banned
A masterpiece in gaming, it deserves much more. Yoko Taro actually uses a game to tell a story, and not a story using a game.

chrono01

I know emotions are prohibited, but...

*sheds a tear*

I am so glad to see this game doing so well. The entire team behind it definitely deserves it.

Also, buy the OST people!

Happy. This is the timeline we've all been working towards to. Thanks to the Nier:A team especially.

mmh reluctant to ask since it's off topic but since I'm basically seeing you right here, would love to know if you might appear on some podcast in the near future talking persona 5 indepth/spoilers. Saw your recent tweets and would love to listen to you being part of a discussion. Enjoyed when you appeared on the Bloodgod(at least I believe it was a blood god cast, sry if I'm misremembering) cast but since it was only Japanese back then the discussion was somewhat more one sided.

I'm always down to podcast. Just gotta be invited on one! (Lol, misread your post).

And just so I stay on topic:

I think a part of why this feels so good is that it's so rare to have a creator (and his collaborators) who has been in the industry so long never have a real "hit," and then suddenly become a known quantity over a decade later.

Toth

Wow, SE keeps winning. Great to hear Nier doing so well. And when FFXV comes out with all the updates and whatever DLC it's up to..it will be epic. I hope DQW 2 does some good numbers as well!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's fantastic. If they make another I hope S-E helps P* on the technology side or ask them to use something like UE4. The engine drawbacks seem a bit tough, though at least you can use mods with this version to help with that.

And for such a bad port too. Unfortunate.

It's been said many times, the issues with the PC version are unfortunate but it's not a bad port. The game was designed with base PS4 in mind but even that can't handle this engine that well.

ZoddGutts

if only p* could port more of their games to pc. sega is fucking up.

Sega hasn't ported any games since what? Sonic Lost World? Where's Virtua Fighter 5, Skies of Arcadia, Vanquish or even Bayo 1. But Sega gotta Sega. Heck even with Atlus stuff they would make a killing.

Anyways glad Nier is doing well. Just hope SE doesn't pull a Bravely Default sequel, by that I mean cutting it's budget compared to the first game. Also keep Taro on good dev teams that can make good gameplay, basically with Platinum. So far the game has sold well in Japan (might be at 300K with digital sales), hopefully it sales well on the PS4 in the west as well so it can reach 1 million.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wonder how the PS4 version did WW.

Well deserved. I hope the word of mouth continues to spread. These last three months have been ridiculously busy in terms of quality titles and I was worried Nier might get buried. Good to here that's not the case.

Wanderer5

Congrats to it. Shall look into it later into the Summer, where that looks more clear to give it some more proper time rather than between other games now.XD

Dio

Banned
That's fantastic. If they make another I hope S-E helps P* on the technology side or ask them to use something like UE4. The engine drawbacks seem a bit tough, though at least you can use mods with this version to help with that.

Platinum's engine is probably a lot easier for them to tweak on a foundational level. From what I can tell this is similar to the Revengeance engine, just modified.

One of the reasons game companies use their own internal engines is so they can tweak things all the way up. You need to really dig through something like UE4 comparatively and it's not even developed inhouse, and you don't have the same sort of experience, say, Epic has working on its own engine.

Well deserved. I hope the word of mouth continues to spread. These last three months have been ridiculously busy in terms of quality titles and I was worried Nier might get buried. Good to here that's not the case.
Probably helps that most of those heavy hitters were console exclusives, so the PC releases weren't buried.

Top Bottom