• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamSpy: The Division now has 430k owners and mostly positive reviews

Durante

The retail version has no steam support, right? Just UPlay?
Yeah. Same for all the NV codes swirling around.

Those 430k (probably really at least 450k by now) sales on SteamSpy are all full-price and on top of that. It's surprisingly popular.

Cool, i guess, i wonder how much full version improved from beta version? (which was borefest)
I've talked to a few friends who are playing the final version and it doesn't seem like it has. I don't see the draw either, but I'm sure many people don't see the draw of the games I play so I can't complain :p

Kyoufu

Don't you mean Blizzard, not Bungie?

EA already hopped on Blizzard's bandwagon with SWTOR.

As far as console MMO-lite games go, Bungie got it rolling with Destiny. I'd be surprised if competitors haven't already been cooking for a while now.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Is this as content starved as destiny was. Will I need to buy dlc just to enjoy core gameplay elements further on ? Game was not on my radar.

Qassim

Yeah, I would expect it to have sold even more outside of Steam too, considering the only place to get the Steam version is via Steam and it's pretty much the most expensive version of it.

It has done well. It's an early contender for best AAA PC multiplatform game for the year (in terms of catering for the platform well).

I got the game for free from my friend using nvidia code.

Presumably not a Steam code though, right?

L.O.R.D

Yeah, I would expect it to have sold even more outside of Steam too, considering the only place to get the Steam version is via Steam and it's pretty much the most expensive version of it.

It has done well. It's an early contender for best AAA PC multiplatform game for the year (in terms of catering for the platform well).

Presumably not a Steam code though, right?
Yah, it's converted to uplay code.

abracadaver

I would buy it as well if it had Steam achievements. I don't play Uplay-only games.

I remember a few weeks before release there was a thread about how easy it would be to cheat in this game because there was no anti cheat system in place or something like that. Did Ubi do something about that?

T.O.P

Banned
I remember a few weeks before release there was a thread about how easy it would be to cheat in this game because there was no anti cheat system in place or something like that. Did Ubi do something about that?
That was only for the beta where their anti cheat system wasn't really "on"

They are also pretty damn fast in fixing problems so far, like hours fast

QaaQer

#5 on that the top Steam games is a single player game so there's no reason to worry.

Single player only games have a much lower revenue-per-user ceiling. Companies all less inclined to dump truckloads of cash in games without lots of monetization opportunities. [Insert Stardew art asset vs Division art asset here].

But that's OK because single player content is still needed to get people online, see gtav for a good example of that. Alot of people won't by multiplayer only games.

leeh

It well deserves all the positive reviews it gets. Feels fresh.

Although Ubisoft, don't do what my Mum used to do. If I said I liked some food she got/cooked, I'd keep getting the same thing for a very long time until it wasn't good anymore.

jet1911

Don't you mean Bungie, not Ubisoft?

I was looking at the reveal dates for Destiny and The Division and there's only 4 months between them. The first Destiny trailer was released in february 3013 and The Division was unveiled at E3 2013. It's not Destiny's success that pushed Ubi to create The Division.

Smash88

Banned
It's not turning my post-Destiny world upside down, but it's solid. It has an interesting quality where random gameplay features will turn out to be much deeper and more nuanced than I gave them credit for.

As someone who has not played Destiny this is the best thing I've played in years. So much fun, and super immersive. Haven't had this much fun since Borderlands 1.

It's also really impressive that they have nearly sold half a million copies on Steam alone, where there is no sale or discount of any kind.

w0s

Is this as content starved as destiny was. Will I need to buy dlc just to enjoy core gameplay elements further on ? Game was not on my radar.
There is a lot of content but really the question is what do you consider enough. I'm at 33% through the main story at 11 hours and that is mostly missions and doing side missions.

Hah I've been hearing that since Quake 3

Quake 3 can be played offline with bots. Destiny & The Division are the biggest new IP's released so far this gen. It's clear where AAA gaming is going this gen and beyond. Publishers couldn't push Online DRM through hardware due to the backlash so they're doing the next best thing. Designing games dependent on their servers where they have control. And it's working. Really well.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
There is a lot of content but really the question is what do you consider enough. I'm at 33% through the main story at 11 hours and that is mostly missions and doing side missions.

If that's 11h of unique quests / story missions I'm already at ease.

T.O.P

Banned
I like it alot, except now I don't know what to do at the endgame besides wait
Dailies and farming stuff for crafting to prepare for the raid? I also kept the DZ for now that i capped since reaching 50 there will take a long ass time

kswiston

given what Uplay games typically do on Steam when they are full price, The Division is doing great.

I wonder where sales will end up on console.

Kyoufu

I was looking at the reveal dates for Destiny and The Division and there's only 4 months between them. The first Destiny trailer was released in february 3013 and The Division was unveiled at E3 2013. It's not Destiny's success that pushed Ubi to create The Division.

It doesn't matter how close together they were revealed, Destiny actually launched in 2014 and became the biggest selling new IP ever so EA/whoever already had market data to possibly motivate them into pursuing the genre.

kswiston

If this is anything like TW3, the Uplay version has sold roughly the same or slightly more.

Is the GMG version of the Witcher 3 still keeping up with the Steam version? I was under the impression that it was mainly close at launch because other retailers had crazy 30-40% discounts.

Probably A LOT more since all the third party keys (Bundles, GMG, etc) are uPlay.

The Witcher was in the same boat. Steam is actually more popular than the all of the other digital platforms (offering third party games) combined, so I doubt the Steam sales are a small minority or anything like that.

The only thing stopping me from getting this game is the level cap and the lack of end game content. In about 6 months to a year I figure it'll be a good time to jump in. I like that there's an emphasis on solo play so I won't have to rely on there being a player base when I do decide to jump in, but I'm glad there seems to be a big one.

CHC

The Witcher was in the same boat. Steam is actually more popular than the all of the other digital platforms (offering third party games) combined, so I doubt the Steam sales are a small minority or anything like that.

Oh yeah definitely didn't mean it would be a small minority, but I would think maybe a 50 / 50 split? Especially because the game doesn't actually USE Steam's network, it just launches Uplay. So if you can save a few bucks buying directly, no reason not to.

RulkezX

I'd imagine they're is a sizable # sold outside steam.

AlL The GMG codes and other key sale codes were for Uplay.

Top Bottom