• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steep impressions and videos

jem0208

After playing the beta, I'm on the fence on this game. I've gotten more accustomed to the snowboarding and trick system, and when I was consistently nailing tricks down, it was a very satisfying feeling.

My issue is the game doesn't explain its mechanics very well. I have no idea why sometimes I land after doing a trick my "g-force" meter goes down. I don't know how to move faster in the paragliding challenges or what exactly that beeping meter is. I think I could enjoy a game like this but I wouldn't pay full price for it so far.
From what I can tell the G-force metre increases when you don’t land straight or when you do a really big jump.

The beeping metre is am indication of how close you are to the ground I think. It could also be related to how fast you can rise.

SJRB

Gold Member
From what I gather G-Force is a combination of speed and landing stability/quality. The little white bar is basically your health [for lack of better term], if it reaches the bottom you fall over.

Aside from G-Force, going over rocks also has a massive negative effect on this bar.

Pulling off tricks is kinds hard but not sure why. Some jumps work, other it won't. Haven't really figured out the secret, but after forcing myself to do a brutal trick course for hours I kinda figured out the jumping sweetspot.

I agree that the game could benefit from a better tutorial. It plows through the "omg you're amazing" starting sequences so fast it literally forgets to explain controls and game mechanics.

akileese

From what I gather G-Force is a combination of speed and landing stability/quality. The little white bar is basically your health [for lack of better term], if it reaches the bottom you fall over.

Aside from G-Force, going over rocks also has a massive negative effect on this bar.

Pulling off tricks is kinds hard but not sure why. Some jumps work, other it won't. Haven't really figured out the secret, but after forcing myself to do a brutal trick course for hours I kinda figured out the jumping sweetspot.

I agree that the game could benefit from a better tutorial. It plows through the "omg you're amazing" starting sequences so fast it literally forgets to explain controls and game mechanics.

Jumps are really weird. It feels like sometimes it just doesn't recognize the jump properly. Like, I'd hit what I felt was a perfect jump...try to spin....and......nothing. It's a bit frustrating.

Banks_cashMoney

Neo Member
After playing the beta, I'm on the fence on this game. I've gotten more accustomed to the snowboarding and trick system, and when I was consistently nailing tricks down, it was a very satisfying feeling.

My issue is the game doesn't explain its mechanics very well. I have no idea why sometimes I land after doing a trick my "g-force" meter goes down. I don't know how to move faster in the paragliding challenges or what exactly that beeping meter is. I think I could enjoy a game like this but I wouldn't pay full price for it so far.

the beeping meter is your lift indicator. if you would like to go higher find where that indicator is and depending on how strong it is will allow you to get to a higher altitude.

That is if you are doing it on whole map. I am talking about special events/places set on current map.
Right, I see what you mean, why not then! Anyway, they'd need to add new moves which mean new motion capture, new physics and so and so... not impossible but costly.

I think people are missing the point of this game. The focus isn’t on massive tricks and big jumps. It’s about exploring the massive world and finding the best lines. The sense of freedom is absolutely amazing. Carving down a mountain with almost no limits to where you can go feels so good.

One of the best races I’ve done was one where there were no checkpoints, just a finish line about 5km away. You’re left to choose the route down.

I’m genuinely blown away with this game and I think it’d really sad that the general impressions are negative. For me it’s virtual escapism at it’s finest.

Also I can’t understand the negative comments about the sense of speed. It’s absolutely incredible how fast it feels flying down a mountain.

Yeah I feel like this was a love project of someone who actually does snowsports, and I don't think people understand the market for this because of how exclusive snowsports are.

People were complaining about the walking speed in the snow, and I wondered if they have actually hiked up a mountain in the snow. It's rough, especially if you don't have skins and are wearing 9 pound ski boots.

The "It's too slow" complaints, when I would never even want to ski at the speeds the game goes because it's downright suicidal. Skiing is about the flow, the sensations, and the lines you pick that make it interesting for you no matter what skill level you're at.

I like that you can pick steep lines and try to work your way down them. That's something that even SNOW didn't do that well.

Trick system is definitely weird, and the lack of upper/lower body separation when skiing is weird, but the former is a bigger problem than the latter.

Game is going to struggle because of buyers who are rightfully nostalgic and missing the arcade experiences of the past, and a market that doesn't understand what snowsports actually entails from a more realistic setting.

SJRB

Gold Member
Seems Ubi pulled the plug on the servers, beta's over.

That was an excellent beta and it ran very well.

Ivan 3414

From what I can tell the G-force metre increases when you don’t land straight or when you do a really big jump.

The beeping metre is am indication of how close you are to the ground I think. It could also be related to how fast you can rise.

the beeping meter is your lift indicator. if you would like to go higher find where that indicator is and depending on how strong it is will allow you to get to a higher altitude.

Thanks for the responses, too bad the beta seems to be over =/

This seems to be the Assassin's Creed of snowboarding games in terms of exploration(even down to the Leap of Faith eagle sound effect that triggers when performing big jumps). I love discovering and traversing the worlds in AC and as I started doing challenges that asked to reach certain spots on the map, I'm getting sort of the same feel here. I will definitely be playing the open beta in a few days; hopefully my progress doesn't reset. This game is growing on me a bit.

El-Suave

Much improved from the previous alpha/beta, a week ago I thought there'd be no way this launches in three weeks, but they seem to be on track after all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really enjoyed this! It reminds me a bit of those offpist runs from the tallest peak in SSX3, which I loved. Just you and the wild open mountain. Really cool. On the downside, it might be a bit too much wild open mountainsides. There are very few, if any (?), proper tracks, just powdery offpist stuff, except for some trick park-esque sections.

I don't really care for the wingsuit or paragliding stuff though. It's just not very much fun compared to snowboarding and skiing.

farisr

Only played for 30 minutes, but yeah, just doesn't seem my type of game.

And so the wait for a current gen arcadey snowboarding game continues.

dex3108

Right, I see what you mean, why not then! Anyway, they'd need to add new moves which mean new motion capture, new physics and so and so... not impossible but costly.

Rainbow Six Siege got new operators with new gadgets and now it will get caliber based destruction ect. That is good post-launch support so it is not impossible for Steep to do more.

Rainbow Six Siege got new operators with new gadgets and now it will get caliber based destruction ect. That is good post-launch support so it is not impossible for Steep to do more.
That's cool to know, so there's hope for further improvement. I don't know if it's on their priority list though. I'd love to see grinding implemented but now it's a no-buy for me. Shame 'cause I had high expectations for this game and I left underwhelmed. Infinite Air, for all its shortcomings, is much more my cup of tea as of now.

Auctopus

Damn, it's irritating going round the web and seeing how people are annoyed this game isn't SSX.

Gamers have a real issue with not letting games be the games they want to be. Steep isn't trying to be SSX.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn, it's irritating going round the web and seeing how people are annoyed this game isn't SSX.

Gamers have a real issue with not letting games be the games they want to be. Steep isn't trying to be SSX.

Yep. I have a feeling (which may be totally wrong) that they're the same people who prefer SSX Tricky over 3. I'm the complete opposite, SSX 3 is by far my favorite. The most fun I had in that game was doing the seamless 25 minute run from the top of the tallest peak all the way down the mountain. Sure, I'd do some tricks along the way and such, and that was fun too, but the main attraction for me was carving down the mountain. Loved the wild offpist parts at the top of the mountain before you reached the more "designed" parts further down. Steep is like a full game of that, at least from what little I got to play over the last few days. It has a trick system, and it always feels cool to throw a few in here and there, but the focus is clearly on the experience of carving down an open mountainside.

Despite its flaws I love the game and will play it way more than any other game this year. The feeling of exploration and finding your own line down a mountain is just too good.

Even though I'm a snowboarder IRL, for 24 years now, I find myself preferring the skiing in Steep. It just feels better, and the jumping seems more consistent.

Gonna preorder the gold edition for sure. Can't decide for what platform though. I think if they announce HDR and PS4 Pro support, I will sell my Xbox One S and old PS4 to go all in PS4 Pro.
If they don't do HDR, I will choose the PC version.

The game appeals to the zen like feeling you can get just chilling down a mountain, and it also appeals to the competitiveness in speeding down a line faster than anyone else.

I hope the game will get a Trials like community of people finding and sharing impossible lines and competing over time trials and such.

Yeah I feel like this was a love project of someone who actually does snowsports, and I don't think people understand the market for this because of how exclusive snowsports are.

Skiing is about the flow, the sensations, and the lines you pick that make it interesting for you no matter what skill level you're at.

I like that you can pick steep lines and try to work your way down them. That's something that even SNOW didn't do that well.

Trick system is definitely weird, and the lack of upper/lower body separation when skiing is weird, but the former is a bigger problem than the latter.

Game is going to struggle because of buyers who are rightfully nostalgic and missing the arcade experiences of the past, and a market that doesn't understand what snowsports actually entails from a more realistic setting.

Agree with everything you said.

Some of the most fun lines to attempt are when jumping from the wingsuit platforms. The mountain side below is too steep, rocky, and hostile to really ski, but it's so much fun to try. And when you pull it off you can save and share that line, to let others try and beat it.

While I agree, I too never cared for the arcade-y SSX/Tony Hawk approach to skiing/snowboarding.

It's not just that though. A lot of the critical comments here are about the controls. I too was put off by them, even after the first 5 or so hours.

They take a long time to get comfortable with and understand, and that's a huge problem. New players nedd to be able to pick up the game and enjoy it.

The G-force system is brutal and not fun when you are still getting the hang of the controls.

I dunno if better explanations and tutorials is really enough.

Anyways, I'm 20 hours into the game and I now think the controls make sense, and very much enjoy the game.

With some experience the game allows for some really cool lines: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=syLxLykuJsE
(not my video)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While I agree, I too never cared for the arcade-y SSX/Tony Hawk approach to skiing/snowboarding.

It's not just that though. A lot of the critical comments here are about the controls. I too was put off by them, even after the first 5 or so hours.

They take a long time to get comfortable with and understand, and that's a huge problem. New players nedd to be able to pick up the game and enjoy it.

The G-force system is brutal and not fun when you are still getting the hang of the controls.

I dunno if better explanations and tutorials is really enough.

Anyways, I'm 20 hours into the game and I now think the controls make sense, and very much enjoy the game.

With some experience the game allows for some really cool lines: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=syLxLykuJsE

That's pretty awesome. I don't understand who you'd do that though. In my experience, any time I tried a really big jump I got the grey screen effect (if I didn't bail out right away), and then I'd be more or less helpless to stop myself from bailing out on the next small bump or whatever. I guess that's the G force system at play? I understand, realistically, that a too impactful landing after a big jump is bad news, of course. But how do I deal with this in the game? Do I just have to know not to jump in bad spots? I guess part of my problem was also going pretty much full speed ahead at all times. Because that feels awesome. But then you're dead. So I guess you just have to decide to go slow if you're not sure what's coming up?

I often also bailed out even on pretty small jumps, from simply not landing very well. I felt that I didn't have much control over landings. The game just tells you to let go of the rotation in time and you'll land nicely, but that definitely doesn't work out much of the time. Is there a way to actually control how the board hits the snow? How is the guy in this video getting such smooth landings all the time?

But this is all from playing the early access open beta for two nights, maybe 4-5 hours in total. I did enjoy it very much, and I'll definitely be back for the actual open beta. I'm not at all with the people who think it feels bad to control. To me it feels more like real snowboarding than any other game I've played. That feeling that shit may go badly in a split second if you're not vigilant and aware when rushing down the slopes at high speeds. Speaking of which, those saying there's no sense of speed in the game are crazy. Once you get going down a good line it's a damn rush, and it feels awesome.

jem0208

That's pretty awesome. I don't understand who you'd do that though. In my experience, any time I tried a really big jump I got the grey screen effect (if I didn't bail out right away), and then I'd be more or less helpless to stop myself from bailing out on the next small bump or whatever. I guess that's the G force system at play? I understand, realistically, that a too impactful landing after a big jump is bad news, of course. But how do I deal with this in the game? Do I just have to know not to jump in bad spots? I guess part of my problem was also going pretty much full speed ahead at all times. Because that feels awesome. But then you're dead. So I guess you just have to decide to go slow if you're not sure what's coming up?

I often also bailed out even on pretty small jumps, from simply not landing very well. I felt that I didn't have much control over landings. The game just tells you to let go of the rotation in time and you'll land nicely, but that definitely doesn't work out much of the time. Is there a way to actually control how the board hits the snow? How is the guy in this video getting such smooth landings all the time?

But this is all from playing the early access open beta for two nights, maybe 4-5 hours in total. I did enjoy it very much, and I'll definitely be back for the actual open beta. I'm not at all with the people who think it feels bad to control. To me it feels more like real snowboarding than any other game I've played. That feeling that shit may go badly in a split second if you're not vigilant and aware when rushing down the slopes at high speeds. Speaking of which, those saying there's no sense of speed in the game are crazy. Once you get going down a good line it's a damn rush, and it feels awesome.

The G-force metre regenerates much faster if you slow down. It basically forces you to control your speed.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So this is just an open beta this coming weekend right? As in I don't need a key because I've been trying for the past 15 minutes to figure out how to get a damn key.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
The G-force metre regenerates much faster if you slow down. It basically forces you to control your speed.

Was gonna say the same thing, I found that if you really slow down right after a jump, even one that you kinda failed the landing the character will recover and it prevents you to bail almost everytime.
Or, to put it another way : no matter how good the landing, you just can't chain jump forever, you have to slow down in between or your G-FORCE bar will deplete and even if it depletes on an apparently perfectly valid landing, you will bail.

Hope that clears out things for some people, but for me once I've figured that out the game which I already really enjoyed became a whole lot better. All in all, it goes to show how this game simply isn'y SSX-like and people shouldn't expect such game, or they're in for a big disappointment.

I want to love it for its approach to "realism" I just don't find it fun at all. I don't like the controls at all and feel like I'm fighting with the game to have a good time. I presume for people that will like it will be an excellent game but for me it's just well a bit fucking shit unfortunately. I was really hyped for it too.

It's better than Snow though, not much of a high bar though haha

jem0208

I want to love it for its approach to "realism" I just don't find it fun at all. I don't like the controls at all and feel like I'm fighting with the game to have a good time. I presume for people that will like it will be an excellent game but for me it's just well a bit fucking shit unfortunately. I was really hyped for it too.

It's better than Snow though, not much of a high bar though haha
What do you dislike about the controls?

I’ve seen a bunch of people complaining about them but no one really explaining why...

B3N1

What do you dislike about the controls?

I’ve seen a bunch of people complaining about them but no one really explaining why...

I spent less than an hour with it, but it was a struggle with the input lag. There might be something else too, but until that is fixed I can't really form an opinion.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Huh, did not know. The game (or the beta, at least), doesn't really explain much about how it actually works! Will try to grasp this better in the open beta.

Is the beta over? Had no idea it was going on.

Saw it had a beta Nov 18-21 when I was looking through the PS store for something to buy. I had no idea it existed until tonight but it looks cool.

There was a closed beta, and also an "early access open beta" (not sure if these were the same thing or not) for which you had to sign up to get a code, running until the 14th. The regular open beta starts on the 18th, and should be open to anyone. No code needed, I think.

I spent less than an hour with it, but it was a struggle with the input lag. There might be something else too, but until that is fixed I can't really form an opinion.

I definitely didn't notice any input lag on PS4. But it also doesn't control like SSX, obviously.

Anyone have a EU PS4 beta code?

For what? The closed beta is over, and for the open one which starts on the 18th I don't think you need a code...?

jem0208

I didn’t really notice any input lag in my time with the beta.

What platform are you playing on?

Newboi

Seeing this makes me want an actual sequel to Cool Borders 2. It stinks the devs went all realistic afterwards.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched for this. I haven't played a winter extreme sports style game in ages.

Just got back from a two-hour session of Steep, and I find myself enjoying it immensely! Though I am uncertain of exactly how the trick controls work, I am able to pull off most moves I want on command. I am not sure if your character just automatically lands the trick if you let go of the left stick fast enough, or it you have to do some sort of positioning to get it to work.

Outside of that, the game is fantastic! You basically just explore this immense mountainscape in search of lines for one of the four types of sports you have available. I've spent most of my time snowboarding and using the wingsuit. You can't just barrel down the mountain, you have to be careful to line up your jumps before you take them. The game is fairly generous with how much air you can get while jumping. I've found myself landing what look to be 100ft + drops. I think Steep is very much a game where you make the fun. While there are numerous events to take place in, I find myself enjoying exploring around and making my own path.

The PC version is completely BROKEN. It runs fine, but it doesn't know how to deal with the XB1 controller AT ALL. It isn't a configuration issue because it is sporadic. The A button doesn't work, you can't switch sports with the controller, etc. It's a clusterfuck.

And why can't they figure out how to make the snowboarding feel good and responsive, especially the tricks? Steep Slope Riders figured it out on Saturn.

I just tried and then uninstalled the game. I didn't even know you could do tricks. When on skis or snowboard I'd head for what I assumed would let me catch air only to not do so. That left me with only trying to get the fastest lines to the next checkpoint which was rather dull and boring. I realized that I just want SSX, and from what little I saw Steep wasn't giving it to me.

TwiztidElf

I played the beta for this for 3-4 hours today, and I was definitely intrigued. Not enough to buy it at full price though. I can definitely see me picking this up cheap down the track.

I like a good snowboarding game. 1080 and coolboarders definitely. Amped and SSX less so as I don't like the focus on tricks.
To me, it the feel of the snowboarding and racing - either boarderX or against a clock. Going fast down a mountain. I don't want a trick/point progression - I want to snowboard fast.
(Heh. I'm the opposite of you EH^. :) )

I played the beta for this for 3-4 hours today, and I was definitely intrigued. Not enough to buy it at full price though. I can definitely see me picking this up cheap down the track.

I like a good snowboarding game. 1080 and coolboarders definitely. Amped and SSX less so as I don't like the focus on tricks.
To me, it the feel of the snowboarding and racing - either boarderX or against a clock. Going fast down a mountain. I don't want a trick/point progression - I want to snowboard fast.
(Heh. I'm the opposite of you EH^. :) )

We must now fight to the death TwiztidElf over the future of snowboarding games:)

I must admit that I was predisposed not to like Steep. First I had to delete Black Ops 3 to have enough space to install the demo (not Steep's fault). Then I was annoyed that I had to make a UbiSoft account. I nearly quit at this step. So I was already on a hair trigger to bail.

I could see a more pure snowboard racing game being fun, although I still would prefer tricks to add spice. It's just that something felt off about the movement in Steep to me. The terrain didn't seem to affect my speed and movement as much as I would assume it would. That made me mostly ignore it and head in a straight line to my objective as fast as I could. I wanted to be weaving around either taking or avoiding jumps depending on the situation.

Once again I have to caveat that with the fact that I didn't play very long. I obviously was missing part of the game mechanics. I just know that I wasn't having fun for the little bit I did play, and I have many more games in my backlog that I want to get to. What I saw of Steep didn't lead me to believe that it would somehow jump to the front of that list, so I thought why bother.

Got just about 2 hours of play time today, overall I dig it but it feels like something is missing. Snowboarding, skiing, and wingsuit are fun, but the paragliding not so much.
What annoyed me the most was the text being too small and having white text and icons on a snowy background.

kai3345

Banned
Been playing this off and on all weekend. It's fun, but definitely not $60 fun.

I agree with one of the posters above who mentioned that the game is at it's best when it gives the player the freedom to determine the best route to the finish line of a race. The checkpoint races are boring and the trick system shallow. It has been kind of relaxing just going from the top of the mountain to the bottom with friends, but otherwise there's a lot to be desired with this game.

Might pick it up if it ever goes on a steep (lol) sale. Definitely doesn't seem worth dropping $60 at launch.

Top Bottom