• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stella has been removed from FFXV; Itamuro writing game; Demo 2 June 9; FFXV not @ E3

TheTux

Removing a character from the story this late in development, after they gave her a bunch of CGI treatment? That's not a good sign, unless they really just did little more than a name swap with "Luna."

That said, the whole romance subplot as shown so far was looking a bit terrible. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just that badly written.

Oh dear god no. This is just as bad as before.

How can you say it's terrible lol we didn't know anything.

Chilikar

I will say that when I myself found out about the changes (can't say how or when, for obvious reasons), I was a little disappointed, having been someone who also followed Versus XIII (and Somnus, omg) since the start, but FFXV at this point should be judged on its own merits, based on everything that has been revealed from E3 2013 onwards, and I've definitely taken to the world, characters, and story.

I think one of the reasons this also hit previous fans pretty hard was because Nomura stated in E3 2013 that the character was still Stella. Since then, Nomura has "left" the team and Tabata became the sole director of FFXV. The change to Luna feels like it was something done after the change of director, which makes the fans of FFVXIII uneasy because it's representative of the changes that Tabata is making to the game.

You make some really valid points tho, it really does help me put my thoughts into the right perspective going into the release of FFXV.

Ray Down

Banned

From duckroll:
She was a RPG Planner for both Dissidia and Dissidia 012. The role involved taking the scenario and implementing it in the game itself. The scenario script for both Dissidia games are credited to Harunori Sakemi and Daisuke Watanabe, with Toriyama as the scenario supervisor. Saori Itamuro is only credited as RPG Planner.

Having said that, her role on FFXV is Lead Scenario Designer. Not screenplay. She leads the scenario team implementing the story into the game. So there is a group of writers and no one is doing all the work alone.

From duckroll:

From the game:

DZrBCFq.png

jett

D-Member
The worst thing about Final Fantasy XV so far is not the removal of Luna, or the staff change, or the changes from Versus XIII. It is the branding like Roen and the Coleman camping stuff. It really sucks =/

#TeamLuna

Playing TW3 makes me wish this game had visible armor/clothing changes on the characters. I guess there will no armor equipment at all in the game.

sensui-tomo

Playing TW3 makes me wish this game had visible armor/clothing changes on the characters. I guess there will no armor equipment at all in the game.
To be honest though FF hasnt really had this except for weapons, excluding the MMO titles of course. I love games that do have the different outfits/armors look different.

This is really ridiculous especially since FF XIV has armor equipment visible for the characters. No idea why they won't do it, it will be stupid as hell if the characters wears the same clothes throughout the game.

Yea, I think it's unfair to judge Saori Itamuro's talent just on Duodecim. That game was a sequel to an already out there story, which is basically just an excuse to see Laguna and Vaan or Cloud and Tidus interact and fight.

Based on the demo, I like the interaction of the guys so far. I even like Prompto, who for some reason I guess people don't like.

Gbraga

There is no inspiration by Hamlet either. Everything I've read(regarding the Hamlet connection AND Romeo+Juliet connection) is purely based on speculation of people seeing the quote, seeing WHO it's from, seeing "signs" within trailers and trying to piece the connection together through theories. The fact that the quote is from Hamlet doesn't mean the story will be BASED on Hamlet.

Now you're just reaching. The inspiration was obvious. And I'm on team Tabata and don't mind whatever changes they made.

It bothered me that people were assuming who Luna is without enough information, but let's not go to the opposite extreme and pretend we didn't know absolutely anything about anything before.

Falk's post is the best post on the matter, imo.

paolo11

This may be a silly question so I apologize in advance but since the story is a bit dark, is it likely that Noctis will die in the end?

NeOak

Man, I'm still salty about Stella. She looked great and the stuff around her seemed to be interesting.

I'm considering canceling that E3'13 preorders I got on Amazon for this.

LAA

Ridiculous the reactions about Stella/Luna. Seriously we know nothing about either of them. More so Stella I suppose as she's actually said stuff in a trailer, only interesting this was that it seemed she would be against Noctis. That did look interesting story wise. However, I have no idea how Luna fits into this now and personally, I prefer luna's design simply because she seems to have more iconic features (mainly her hair ha ha).

So with that out of the way... the thing that actually worries me more or at least concerns me, is how much different is XV to VS now. I know it was going to be different, but there wasn't an obligation for Tabata to say what has changed in XV and why, even to go as far as to say XV should be classed as a new game compared to VS, which I would think the VS hype and anticipation has helped XV hype in turn, so it makes me think something big is going to be shown at games com which may be shocking? I'm sure I'll still enjoy XV either way, the demo I certainly did in some ways... I just felt the landscape felt pretty empty, no music,largely empty landscapes, just running to each encounter, but that could all change and it probably won't be the case as much in actual cities. Just sad I may never know which I would have preferred more now. VS or XV.

Now you're just reaching. The inspiration was obvious.
Obvious is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of the speculation regarding Hamlet is over the purposed usurping of Regis by his "brother", or the fellow people "think" is his brother, who has never been confirmed to be anybody just yet.

The other theory is that he's Gladiolus's father(because of his face and eyes), but even that is a theory, and that's ALL we really have. Again, if anybody's reaching, it's those reading too much into the slivers of information we have, and even MORE into the information we don't have.

Now, don't get me wrong. You are free to speculate to your heart's content regarding possibilities, but you aren't free in passing speculation off as fact. The way some people have believed some speculation as fact confounds the fuck out of me.

dwr

The worst thing about Final Fantasy XV so far is not the removal of Stella, or the staff change, or the changes from Versus XIII. It is the branding like Roen and the Coleman camping stuff. It really sucks =/

*WTF is he talking about?*

*googles*

Nooo... no fucking way! Really?! Camping brands in Final Fantasy...

Man I must be weird because I really like the product placement. Besides, look at the bright side. The advertisement deals will help offset the game's massive budget.

sensui-tomo

It doesn't belong in a fantasy world. But we had this argument before.

Akira was a futuristic fantasy world but... oh wait that had tons of them everywhere Fantasy based on "Reality" .. Not that i'd like to argue but eh I'd like FF9 remade with pepsi (it was pepsi right? or cola for advertisements in japan)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Akira was a futuristic fantasy world but... oh wait that had tons of them everywhere Fantasy based on "Reality" .. Not that i'd like to argue but eh I'd like FF9 remade with pepsi (it was pepsi right? or cola for advertisements in japan)
Doesn't Akira take place on Earth...
FF9 never had that stuff in game though.

dramatis

There's been some changes to the script that they sneaked under the rug, like when they interpreted a certain character in a certain way and then decided to stick with writing them in a particular way, but then further patches come out and Japanese script conveys a different intention. Most of them can't be explained without spoilers but the most known characters that fell under sometimes subtle sometimes not very rewrites are Nael van Darnus, Ysayle and Haurchefant.

Can you not flame? Just for once? You are less informed on the topic than I am if you think that creating lore and actually writing script are the same thing. It's a team of writers and it's not an impossibility that sometimes they fail to communicate with each other (the Acheron event was an admitted instance of that). The truth is that we don't know their entire workflow but the script, as presented in the game, is open to us, and I can very well question it.
Can you not make it all about yourself? Just for once? You roll out with your complaints about the English script every single time there is any additional story added, talking about how the Japanese script is this and the English script is totally wrong translation, making assumptions about the localization process and "I understand Japanese, so this the WRONG translation", and "I know Japanese, this is what it is in Japanese"—yeah, we get it, you know Japanese, you're an expert, you know everything at fault with the script.

Except you're only doing translation, and not localization. Japan uses the word "roadshow" still to mean "premiere" for movies. Am I going to tell Japan, "Look, it's 'premiere', not 'roadshow'" every single time they use roadshow for a movie that comes out? No, because 'roadshow' has become a word of their own in their own culture, and in a 'localized' sense roadshow is the equivalent of a premiere.

If you and I are equal in our knowledge of the writing process behind FF14, then your assumptions are no more legitimate than mine. Rather than critiquing the story in the language you are most familiar with, instead you presume your own superiority in the two languages over the people who do this for a living, and make all your criticism about how the Japanese and English scripts don't match up perfectly. As a result your criticism isn't really about the scripts as stories but the scripts as not measuring up to your 'standard of translation'. You're not interested in discussing the story; you're interested in displaying your skill and how much better you are at it than the localization team.

Whatever, I know you're a Japanese expert. It's fine.

Jesus, some of you...

I know, it's crazy, but has someone, like, considered that the changes they made were for the better?
As much as I'm hyped and passionate about this game since Versus days, the story always has been the one aspect that I was worried about the most. I can't stand Nojima and Nomura's silly, convoluted writing anymore. The only thing that made me a bit hopeful was the fact that Nomura himself promised that the story would be simpler and more relatable than usual.
The setting and premise of FFXVersus is what I find so exciting first and foremost. Unfortunately SE just doesn't have good writers working on FFs (haven't played XI/XIV, though). I'm not even expecting anything anymore story-wise of this series. I'll just hope FFXVI has new writers who are capable of working outside of silly Anime archetypes and tropes. Why not getting fresh, international blood in the writing department, too, like with the rest of Tabata's team (see the new Tech Demo video)!?.

She looks serious and determined. Luna = strong woman confirmed!!!
Part of the reason I didn't like Stella much was because of the party scene, however Luna is actually worse. When Luna is presented in the trailer, she has no role. She is literally put into trailers to remind the audience that there is a pretty girl in the game. She doesn't do anything even in the 10 seconds you see of her. This is how they present Luna:

Stella is a prevalent presence in the trailer she first shows up in—it even ends with her. The first scene she's shown in is cut across multiple scenes in a sequence, and it culminates in this:
The start of the party scene comes after.

One of the methods is how you present a vase. The other method is how you present a character. How do you think the devs for 15 think of Luna, versus how the devs for Vs13 thought of Stella?

Well it won't hurt to try new blood in the writers' seats, right? Maybe the director's ideas of replacing the heroine aren't too bad? Tabata's track record for a heroine is in Type-0. If you got the 15 demo, then you have Type-0. Play that game and figure out for yourself exactly how decent of a character the heroine of that game is. You can also use that experience to evaluate Tabata's capability for a plot. Hint: Tabata is no better than Nomura or Nojima.

I think what you can consider the fate of story and characters in FF15 as such: you're going to party hard in the sea of slash fanart, slash fanfic, and slash doujinshi/comics. Maybe it'll be good. But the female characters are likely to be footnotes.

gconsole

Removing a character from the story this late in development, after they gave her a bunch of CGI treatment? That's not a good sign, unless they really just did little more than a name swap with "Luna."

That said, the whole romance subplot as shown so far was looking a bit terrible. It wouldn't surprise me if it was just that badly written.

Hmm how do u know its late. I would assume they already decided to to change it once they change the team. They just annouce it now.

Mr. RHC

If Luna's putting her hands in front of her chest is already enough evidence for her not being as strong a woman, then you could say the same about the 2009 Stella that moved and behaved like your typical anime girl in the trailer where she talks with Noctis at the party. Granted, I haven't actually read again completely what she says in that video, but Luna is judged by some here based only on gestures and body language from a few seconds of footage, too.

Now look at this:

She looks serious and determined. Luna = strong woman confirmed!!!

Chill and wait until we see more.

PS: Listen to Falk.

I'm not too excited to have the same tiresome discussion over and over again.
The counter outrage over the outrage is not going to change my mind on Stella.

Man, I'm still salty about Stella. She looked great and the stuff around her seemed to be interesting.

I'm considering canceling that E3'13 preorders I got on Amazon for this.

ikr? I really can't blame people. Removing a highly anticipated character after 9 years is like ripping out the heart of one's chest.

DSix

Banned
The most annoying thing is that now people will romanticize Versus XIII forever no matter how good this game is.

Either way, the main point remains: What many people wanted was a Nomura game, with everything that it entails.

And now we KNOW that it definitely isn't the case anymore, both on gameplay and scenario fronts. It's becoming a Tabata game, and I'm not sure if I like that much. I dislike Type-0 (i.e. it's shit) and he's so proud of it...

Gbraga

I just want a big story trailer now. I decided to go on media blackout after Duscae, but I'm so curious to have a better idea of the story now >_>

Gamescom pls come quick.

Top Bottom