• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade 15 minutes of exclusive gameplay.

Needlecrash

they want clicks by hating the game and dehumanizing Eve by calling her a "sex doll" and "harassing" the director/designers and ALSO want clicks by exclusive previews provided by Sony?

that's kind of fucked up.
The definition of hypocrisy. I also saw someone interviewing that Alyssa chick but someone dug up that same guy simping for Lady Dimitrescu from Resident Evil 8. RULES FOR THEE BUT NOT FOR ME.

Last edited:

mitch1971

From what I've seen this game looks kinda....ordinary. Very run of the mill hack and slash. I've not seen footage that has made me go wow!!! Is this game selling on it's sexy rather than substance? Maybe I've missed out on some stella (pun intended) footage I've clearly not witnessed.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

From what I've seen this game looks kinda....ordinary. Very run of the mill hack and slash. I've not seen footage that has made me go wow!!! Is this game selling on it's sexy rather than substance?
It's got sex appeal and solid gameplay honestly. I was sold after playing the demo. I needed to get used to the controls and combat but when I got used to it, everything started to click.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

IGN knows it will bring the clicks and needs the ad revenue. Play both sides. I can’t believe the misogyny also look at that butt.

Yeah. Gameplay looks relatively poor / boring. A shame IMO, visually it does look nice. But perhaps they should have put more effort into that instead of her ponytail or whatever.

It's not

It's extremely stylish and fun, one of the better combat engines I've played this entire gen. So not sure where your comments are really coming from, it's opposite from most impressions.

T-0800

From what I've seen this game looks kinda....ordinary. Very run of the mill hack and slash. I've not seen footage that has made me go wow!!! Is this game selling on it's sexy rather than substance? Maybe I've missed out on some stella (pun intended) footage I've clearly not witnessed.
Trailers did nothing for me but I loved the demo.

Shrugs GIF

DelireMan7

Game will not be game breaking in the industry. Like a good 7/8 out of 10 game.

After playing the demo, I found the combat system really solid and entertaining. Mix of Sekiro, DMC and Souls.

Some aspect are meh for me (that camp music 🤢, and story will be pretty basic from what I see).
It's like an old school ps2 action game. Fun combat without trying to be the best everywhere.
Focus is on the combat, the rest is OK.

Try the demo if you want a feel for the combat and see if you could like the game. Myself I was not really convince on the gameplay till I try it

Last edited:

Fredrik

Did you get a chance to play the demo? Reactions have been very positive toward the combat.
Tbh I thought it was quite mashy in the demo. It looks much better in this video, more abilities has been unlocked and the person playing it makes me think the timing is better in the full game as well. If they rate this badly they don’t know what they’re doing.

nial

Gold Member
To be quite fair, those comments came from IGN France. I don't think IGN USA has been hateful towards Stellar Blade.

Madflavor

Tbh I thought it was quite mashy in the demo. It looks much better in this video, more abilities has been unlocked and the person playing it makes me think the timing is better in the full game as well. If they rate this badly they don’t know what they’re doing.

Mashing buttons is a great way to get yourself killed in the game, you're really not supposed to play it that way.

Guilty_AI

Gameplay looks ok, nothing too amazing compared to other games in this style.

I feel most of the hype comes due to the current gaming enviroment more than the game itself. Kind like how God of War got a huge boost in word-of-mouth as it was being released amidst the Battlefront 2 debacle, the one involving lootboxes or how "singleplayer games were dead" according to some EA executive.

Well, i will get the game when it comes out on PC. Still looks fun all things considered, and the 'cause' is certainly something i can get behind of ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yeah. Gameplay looks relatively poor / boring. A shame IMO, visually it does look nice. But perhaps they should have put more effort into that instead of her ponytail or whatever.

"Looks boring"...
Maybe you should "play it" as to see if it's indeed boring/poor ?

The combat system in this is on another level, you 2 different types of "blinks" (one pressing forward and O, the other pressing back and O), a third one which acts as "witch time" when you have to press O, counter attacks, charge attacks at the end of a combo (hold triangle) a parry system...fucking hell, it's anything but "boring" or "poor", sometimes i wonder if people in here actually play games instead of just discussing about 'em ffs.

Edit : this, apparently, is considered "boring" in 2024 :

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have like an hour of gameplay from the demo on my PS5 that is so exclusive I'm the only one who has seen it

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Gameplay looks ok, nothing too amazing compared to other games in this style.

I feel most of the hype comes due to the current gaming enviroment more than the game itself.
Kind like how God of War got a huge boost in word-of-mouth as it was being released amidst the Battlefront 2 debacle, the one involving lootboxes or how "singleplayer games were dead" according to some EA executive.

Well, i will get the game when it comes out on PC. Still looks fun all things considered, and the 'cause' is certainly something i can get behind of ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Don't know man, this is one of the best action games of the past 5+ years that i've played - just the unlockable boss battle shows how deep its combat system is, beautiful stuff, i must have replayed it 40 times by now - and this is just a demo !

Unfortunately, due to the T&A thing people won't take it all that seriously and most of the discussion about the game is gonna be about that, i can already see the hundreds of thousands of gifs/memes incoming.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i'm no prude but when oversexualized games like this come out, unfortunately, each and every discussion about it gets overshadowed by the usual idiotic/juvenile memes and it's a friggin' shame, it's like, people stop talking about what's really important (like production values, combat depth etc) and instead, only focus on that T&A and how "anti-woke" it is as a way to "get back" to the "woke" masses...

It's a lose-lose situation since both sides become insufferable and choose to focus on the wrong things

Cheers

Don't know man, this is one of the best action games of the past 5+ years that i've played - just the unlockable boss battle shows how deep its combat system is, beautiful stuff, i must have replayed it 40 times by now - and this is just a demo !

Unfortunately, due to the T&A thing people won't take it all that seriously and most of the discussion about the game is gonna be about that, i can already see the hundreds of thousands of gifs/memes incoming.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i'm no prude but when oversexualized games like this come out, unfortunately, each and every discussion about it gets overshadowed by the usual idiotic/juvenile memes and it's a friggin' shame, it's like, people stop talking about what's really important (like production values, combat depth etc) and instead, only focus on that T&A and how "anti-woke" it is as a way to "get back" to the "woke" masses...

It's a lose-lose situation since both sides become insufferable and choose to focus on the wrong things

Cheers
I mean look at some of the dumb shit on this board. I'm all about mocking hysterical REEE level clowns but knee-jerk anti-woke behavior that ironically DOES sound straight up neanderthal levels of retarded and sexist isn't any less insufferable to me.

It's a shame because at least based on the demo, the combat is really fucking good and my favorite of its ilk since Metal Gear Rising probably?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Cheers
Hard to know for certain, i've heard many other opinions on the demo that reflect what i just said.

Admittedly, altough i play plenty of action games in general, i'm no expert when it comes to this specific DMC-style - I played Bayonetta, MG Rising and old GOW trilogy pretty much, though i could probably include many more if i branch it out a bit to games like Nier Automata, some other hack'n'slash action RPGs and first person action - so i couldn't say for certain.

Last edited:
Hard to know for certain, i've heard many other opinions on the demo that reflect what i just said.

Admittedly, altough i play plenty of action games in general, i'm no expert when it comes to this specific DMC-style - I played Bayonetta, MG Rising and old GOW trilogy pretty much, though i could probably include many more if i branch it out a bit to games like Nier Automata, some other hack'n'slash action RPGs and first person action - so i couldn't say for certain.
The problem with a game like this is that a 30 minute dip into a demo isn't indicative of how it truly plays. This was the same thing with DMC3 especially. These games make just moving from enemy to enemy fluently and stylishly a skill to be learned. Everything about this combat system has a learning curve imo, there's a ton of shit here.

That being said, that's not on the player, I actually can see how someone would approach it like a regular demo and go what the fuck, I can't do shit, feels janky. In the demo thread, my opinion can be traced post by post from that to holy shit this is legit lol. Nioh was a great example. It took people really fucking with the demo and investing time in it to break the learning curve of a game that just does its own thing.

I just happened to "crack" it because I remember how janky I felt Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 were at first so I gave it some time. I don't think the devs are owed that from every player, they should've unlocked a ton of shit on the skill tree in this and I think it would've made a QUICKER good impression on some.

EruditeHobo

"Looks boring"...
Maybe you should "play it" as to see if it's indeed boring/poor ?

This is a thread about a gameplay video. I didn't know I needed to have experienced the gameplay myself before commenting on a gameplay video. Is this a new rule? Is this in TOS?

The gameplay video I find disappointing. You don't have to agree. Maybe I'll change my mind when I play the thing. Relax.

Top Bottom