• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade 15 minutes of exclusive gameplay.

Madflavor

The problem with a game like this is that a 30 minute dip into a demo isn't indicative of how it truly plays. This was the same thing with DMC3 especially. These games make just moving from enemy to enemy fluently and stylishly a skill to be learned. Everything about this combat system has a learning curve imo, there's a ton of shit here.

That being said, that's not on the player, I actually can see how someone would approach it like a regular demo and go what the fuck, I can't do shit, feels janky. In the demo thread, my opinion can be traced post by post from that to holy shit this is legit lol. Nioh was a great example. It took people really fucking with the demo and investing time in it to break the learning curve of a game that just does its own thing.

I just happened to "crack" it because I remember how janky I felt Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 were at first so I gave it some time. I don't think the devs are owed that from every player, they should've unlocked a ton of shit on the skill tree in this and I think it would've made a QUICKER good impression on some.

In some places I've seen a trend of people who weren't impressed by the demo, say that they gave it another try and it finally started clicking with them, and now they're liking it. The game obviously takes cues from Sekiro, and to a lesser extent DMC with it's combos, but all and all it's trying to be it's own thing. Some people will like it immediately, for others it might just take time. I consider Sekiro to be one of the best in it's genre, and it took a pretty long time for me to click with that game.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

IGN: "sexualized by someone who has never seen a woman."
Also IGN: @7:42 🍑👀

I don't get why people are so upset over a game and game design.
So IGN, when Mario was made, would you say Mario was designed by someone who has never seen a real plumber?
There's an element of artistic design an interpretation to everything, so let the devs and designers make what they want. If ppl don't like it, they can just not buy it.
It's like all the shit that's on TV. If I don't like it, I turn the channel. It's easy.

mitch1971

There’s a demo…stop asking dumb ass questions. See for yourself.
My apologies for discussing my concern for a game on a gaming forum. I'm such a dumb ass for using the forum for such means. Silly me.

Maybe read my previous reply to a member who replied to my original concern, but he wasn't as curt as you. I've qouted it for your conveniance.
I've downloaded it, just need to get around to playing it to experience it.

Dumb ass

Last edited:

Rickyiez

"Looks boring"...
Maybe you should "play it" as to see if it's indeed boring/poor ?

The combat system in this is on another level, you 2 different types of "blinks" (one pressing forward and O, the other pressing back and O), a third one which acts as "witch time" when you have to press O, counter attacks, charge attacks at the end of a combo (hold triangle) a parry system...fucking hell, it's anything but "boring" or "poor", sometimes i wonder if people in here actually play games instead of just discussing about 'em ffs.

Edit : this, apparently, is considered "boring" in 2024 :

Some games just don't appeal to certain people . I'm not sure why they are even invested in this genre to begin with . It's the same people that said Sekiro , Bloodborne , Dark Souls , Nioh .. etc looks boring .

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
"Looks boring"...
Maybe you should "play it" as to see if it's indeed boring/poor ?

The combat system in this is on another level, you 2 different types of "blinks" (one pressing forward and O, the other pressing back and O), a third one which acts as "witch time" when you have to press O, counter attacks, charge attacks at the end of a combo (hold triangle) a parry system...fucking hell, it's anything but "boring" or "poor", sometimes i wonder if people in here actually play games instead of just discussing about 'em ffs.

Edit : this, apparently, is considered "boring" in 2024 :

If the gameplay here is considered "boring" then those people can go back playing games like RDR2 or Witcher 3 that are considered "greatest game of all time" because I'm sure those game have great combat....right?

Madflavor

The combat is a marriage between Sekiro and DMC style gameplay. It may take some time to get used to for some players, but once you figure it out and get good at it, the combat in this game sings. It starts off feeling clunky and slow because not only are you being exposed to combat that feels different than what you're used to, you're also playing the tutorial level, where you have almost zero upgrades.

Anyone who thinks the game is boring is either playing something that just isn't their cup of tea, or they suck at the game and haven't really figured out the way combat works. You absolutely need to get good at Perfect Dodge and Parry before you work the rest of the combat system out. Don't know if anyone remembers, but even though Sekiro is considered one of the best of it's genre, that game had some major growing pains when it first released for some people. A lot of people, including myself, didn't love the combat until the figured it out, practiced, and got really good at it.

My apologies for discussing my concern for a game on a gaming forum. I'm such a dumb ass for using the forum for such means. Silly me.

Maybe read my previous reply to a member who replied to my original concern, but he wasn't as curt as you. I've qouted it for your conveniance.

Dumb ass
I didn’t call you a dumb ass, I said you asked a dumb ass question. There is a demo out. Don’t take other peoples word for it, especially with video games …just download the demo and decide for yourself. That’s the only way to know for sure if YOU will enjoy it. I saw your other reply, hence the dumb ass question comment. I thought it was a dumb question because you have already downloaded the demo, yet you were asking how it is.

Side note, I would not call anyone on Gaf something personal because I don’t know them, we’ve all asked dumb questions from time to time on the forums, myself included. That’s okay.

I apologize if that struck a nerve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom