• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

Klayzer

The developer tweeted that whole"Uncensored in all regions" thing themselves, they were definitely riding on support being given for not backing down and covering the characters up. Then day one patch covers them up. I think folks are rightly angry at being led on, I would imagine a lot of people pre-ordered specifically to support this anti-censorship message, who've now sorta just been hoodwinked.

TLDR; people are right to be mad
Design choice, not censorship. Two different things. There are way more revealing outfits, than the one changed.

Last edited:
I'll only buy if she is fully clothed.

VTQkQ1u.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The developer tweeted that whole"Uncensored in all regions" thing themselves, they were definitely riding on support being given for not backing down and covering the characters up. Then day one patch covers them up. I think folks are rightly angry at being led on, I would imagine a lot of people pre-ordered specifically to support this anti-censorship message, who've now sorta just been hoodwinked.

About?

Saber

Gold Member
The changes were made way too fast and way too much at the end of the project, so thats hard for me to believe. But since they are discussing this internally at least makes that understable.

Do some of y’all want to play the game or just jack off

Big brain IGN France vibes from this guy. A game which has heavly focus on the girl sexiness/attractiveness(as stated by the devs behind it, not to mention they said it wouldn't be censored probably because it's their vision) and have them toned down obviously gonna turn into a controversy since it's one of the selling points of the game.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I’d like to believe the bit about the costume but why also tone down the gore then?

It just feels odd that the game would be marketed as such a raw bikini blood bath only to then tone down both. Granted there’s still some very sexy outfits. It’s still fair to be skeptical of this though.

JaksGhost

The changes were made way too fast and way too much at the end of the project, so thats hard for me to believe. But since they are discussing this internally at least makes that understable.

Big brain IGN France vibes from this guy. A game which has heavly focus on the girl sexiness/attractiveness(as stated by the devs behind it, not to mention they said it wouldn't be censored probably because it's their vision) and have them toned down obviously gonna turn into a controversy since it's one of the selling points of the game.
What has been toned down because if this was something censored that was already available to you that is one thing but none of you played the finished product nor were some of these things shown to you beforehand. Y'all are being pissy old men for no reason. The patched game came with a New Game+ that includes alot of additional content. This isn't something that was just done over the past couple of days/weeks. This was an internal decision made some time ago.

Last edited:

well, I'll agree that people have the right to endlessly pick shit apart. now, whether they're right in doing so is another matter...

ss_lemonade

I mean, isn't the game still uncensored in all regions? Everyone still gets the exact same experience. The developer saying that "this is the final product/costume" just tells me that this was always the intended, finished design for release.

Saber

Gold Member
What has been toned down because if this was something censored that was already available to you that is one thing but none of you played the finished product nor were some of these things shown to you beforehand. Y'all are being pissy old men for no reason.

Are you telling me that the physical version without the patch is not the finished product? Like, really?
It's so stupid because so far you didn't touched on the gore aspect of it. It's the blood tone down also part of their final version or is this one of tales from the ass?

Last edited:
I'm mostly just disappointed in myself for giving Sony the benefit of the doubt--that they wouldn't meddle--and pre-ordering the game. Stellar Blade's content clearly isn't butchered, but I dislike legitimately feeling tricked by trailers & demos and more so the principle of supporting these shenanigans. Regardless of outcome, hopefully Sony or Shift Up will issue a clear statement in the next few days; otherwise, I'll probably return my copy.

Madflavor

Whatever that means though. I sincerely doubt Sony is going to allow them to roll back on the changes, or release DLC that enables a Version B of these outfits that got censored.

The real honest answer is “Sony ordered us to make the changes. We can’t do anything about it. Sorry.” But he can’t say that cause it’ll piss off both Sony and the players. So all he can do is say it’s intended, they aware people are upset, and they’re having internal discussions. But I can almost guarantee nothing will be done.

Saber

Gold Member
Whatever that means though. I sincerely doubt Sony is going to allow them to roll back on the changes, or release DLC that enables a Version B of these outfits that got censored.

The real honest answer is “Sony ordered us to make the changes. We can’t do anything about it. Sorry.” But he can’t say that cause it’ll piss off both Sony and the players. So all he can do is say it’s intended, they aware people are upset, and they’re having internal discussions. But I can almost guarantee nothing will be done.

Totally true, I agree. I even think it's possible that these tone downs may continue, since they didn't actually said anything about continuing those changes in future patchs. May happen or not, I just hope for the best and that they hold on to their vision and creation.

Last edited:

Kilau

Should have just released a statement saying the outfits on the disc weren’t the final versions but they might include them as additional DLC in the future. Big screw up here by Shift Up.

midnightAI

Should have just released a statement saying the outfits on the disc weren’t the final versions but they might include them as additional DLC in the future. Big screw up here by Shift Up.
They may yet say that, why is it a screw up? They have acknowledged that gamers are aware of the changes, more than most companies admit to.

Edit: in fact so far they have been very proactive in making changes (very quickly fixed hard-r, film grain, input lag), discussing things related to the game, and yet people are still raging at them (too lewd, not lewd enough, too gory, not gory enough and it goes on and on, I bet they are tired of the complaining)

Last edited:

Kilau

They may yet say that, why is it a screw up? They have acknowledged that gamers are aware of the changes, more than most companies admit to.
Screw up because they made the point to say it was uncensored then let the internet run wild with speculation about the changes in the patch the last day or so. They should have gotten ahead of it.

Crayon

As long as all we have is a change of tights, yeah call me when they do the skin suit.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

The fact they also toned down blood combined with the recent "all regions are uncensored" announcement makes me think they might have did this to please certain countries rating boards, then applied it to all versions. "All versions are uncensored if all versions are censored. " Would be dumb if I was correct on that. Imagine if Capcom applied that logic to Western versions of RE because of the Japanese version of RE.

That happened with Bethesda and Fallout 3. Australia ratings board had problems with being able to use Morphine so flat out banned the game. Bethesda changed Morphine to Med-X everywhere in the world.

Obviously Japan had alot of censorship, but that was restricted to Japan.

YCoCg

I don't get how people think it's censorship when there's more revealing clothing in the game, you can even get a complete upskirt view of her ass in a skirt if you want, if ALL outfits were modified then yeah you've got a point but one or two being slightly different when the rest is still there does make me lean towards they wanted to change things up.

Three

In their previous game Nikke, Shift Up had a character from Chainsaw Man with a coat. There was a massive uproar that it was censorship that the coat covered the characters ass. They gave the option to remove it with a later patch because of it. It very well might come with a patch after discussing it internally.

I mean, isn't the game still uncensored in all regions? Everyone still gets the exact same experience. The developer saying that "this is the final product/costume" just tells me that this was always the intended, finished design for release.

let's be real here, paint brushing over skin in a day one patch is incredibly unlikely to be "this was always our intended design", and the studio bragging it was uncensored just few days prior to releasing said patch, is real stupid, regardless of if this was forced on them or a genuine last minute change of heart.

Aenima

Really hope they roll back the outfits to the unpatched physical version. And if not i hope ppl keep putting pressure on them.

Im playing the game unpatched but would be nice to play the NG+ and other future updates without the censored outfits. This is a +18 game. Why western games like Cyberpunk, BG3, and many others can have full uncensored nutity on playstation, and as soon a game from asia comes out the censoring team say, "hold my soy late, got work to do"?.

Last edited:

Pejo

Censorship apologist goons are gonna get me too riled up right now, I can't engage in this shit.

Fuck Sony, I knew their name was a pox on this game the minute I saw the partnership announced.

We had signs of it earlier:

Speaking of which, Mr. Kim, I wanted to ask you if there were any fights with Sony Interactive Enteratainment (SIE), since they are publishing Stellar Blade.

Kim: (Glances at SIE staff members in the room and laughs.) The people at SIE are… very, very nice!

Yoko: SIE’s staff members are pulling faces I’ve never seen before. I wish the readers of this article could see it!

Design choice, not censorship. Two different things. There are way more revealing outfits, than the one changed.
They altered every outfit that shows too much of her breast and crotch regions. This includes the china dress, bunny outfit and the black/yellow one shown in trailers. The bikini gets a pass simply because it's a bikini, but it's also on the modest side to begin with. It's clearly the result of last minute censorship requests from one party or another.

Do some of y’all want to play the game or just jack off
What people such as yourself don't realize, is that this would be bad even if it were the other way around. If the game had fully clothed characters all the way up to the retail release, then suddenly a patch made them all in bikinis because a few countries wouldn't approve of its release unless they were in swimsuits. Imagine a last minute patch that made all characters wear a Papa Smurf outfit or maybe dog ears and tails because the publisher hired some organization dedicated to propagandizing Smurfs or furries.

It isn't the content that is the problem. It is the censorship.

I feel for the dude, he is covering up for Sony.

He may have known it was in the cards and got the 1.0 out the door so it exists, and then did some obvious slapdash coverups to start the discussion. Enough backlash, Sony will have a bigger issue because it’s all very apparent what is happening.

I’m sure they had a vision, and I’ll play the 1.0 version offline.

What has been toned down because if this was something censored that was already available to you that is one thing but none of you played the finished product nor were some of these things shown to you beforehand.
You realize that I am holding in my hand the final pressed disc that literally contains the "finished product". I can insert this disc and play the "finished product" that was promoted to us. Not this new "final product", but the original one that was intended to be released to the public.

people are talking about the game.

is that the culture warz generates more clicks and drama.
I hope this translates into more and more sales. I know that people may be angry with Sony, but if you buy the game, you help Shift Up to continue making games like this.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Until I start seeing skorts it ain't censorship.

The original version of the Rabbit outfit making it onto certain discs does leave me wondering, whether Shift Up initially got an OK for the design, especially with how the alteration is clearly a last-minute, rush job. There would still be angst, of course, but people might be a bit more accepting, if actual effort was put into reworking the design. In general, most of the potential outfit alterations in the game seem like last-minute work.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom