• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

Madflavor

In their previous game Nikke, Shift Up had a character from Chainsaw Man with a coat. There was a massive uproar that it was censorship that the coat covered the characters ass. They gave the option to remove it with a later patch because of it. It very well might come with a patch after discussing it internally.

Yeah but they’re dealing with Sony as a publisher here. I don’t have as much faith.

They literally added granny panties underneath the original design.
stellar-patch-small.png

*edit*

Man @tommib we should probably do a safety check on you. I hope all this laughing isn't giving you respiratory problems.
But the thighs…

Edit: Nevermind top left has the hair clipping through eve’s leg…2/10 would not bang 🧐

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Aenima

Yeah but they’re dealing with Sony as a publisher here. I don’t have as much faith.
With Nikke they have to deal with Tencent, Nikke age rating is +12 on google store and has some characters showing more clevage with massive milkers, Stellar Blade is +18 thers no reason to censor anything that is in the physical version of the game.

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

Last edited:

Three

I don't think they care as much as certain people try to make out. The ass from DMC was patched to show the ass without any fanfare or resistance. Stellar Blade has much more revealing outfits and going back to these would just mean a different outfit that doesn't show anything other outfits already don't. Nobody is actually going to care. It's not going to effect its rating at all. It's just a mountain out of a molehill for Shift UP like the Nikke example before it until they changed the design and removed the coat so people would stop complaining.

It feels like you're being willfully ignorant of the evidence in the picture and I don't understand why.
That's not censorship. If they had gotten rid of those costumes, then that would be

You don’t have to call it censorship, but it is at the least a petty unnecessary change.
exaclty. and we don't know the reason for it... right?

I mean, in costume design, it's very common to have multiple versions/revisions of the same outfit
6RFjLkc.jpeg

and of course we know in game development there is a lot of iterations and a simple file or folder can be changed/mixed for different builds.

but isn't the director aware of it? at this point this seems pathetic culture warz bullshit.

There are multiple outfits that showed more skin that were suddenly changed in a patch close to release.

You don’t have to call it censorship, but it is at the least a petty unnecessary change.
I'd say that we all agree that the core vision of the developers remains intact post-patch. all else, whether on the part of the devs tweaks or those disappointed with those tweaks? all of it's fundamentally petty...

Pejo

I'm not following. Have the devs come out saying Sony forced them to get rid of some shit?

Is there an official statement validating or confirming censorship altogether?
I mean this is the worst attempt at gaslighting that I've ever seen. You can clearly see in the image I posted how the design was modified to show less skin. Do you want a letter of intent from the SIE management on Sony letterhead that they forced ShiftUp to change the designs? You're an adult capable of reading the situation.

Synless

Lol, Sony would have been pissed since the beginning and would never publish the game if what You are saying is true. They would have patched the demo first also.
You know, you must be right. They decided to go all the way to release and then at some point decided the hyper sexualized character was just too much. I’m sure there was no external pressure at all.

You know, you must be right. They decided to go all the way to release and then at some point decided the hyper sexualized character was just too much. I’m sure there was no external pressure at all.
They wouldn't have approved the 1.0 versión that is on the disc. And the other costumes would have been censored too. This is a change from the developers and I believe in what the CEO says, I think they can re add the "uncensored" costumes in a patch.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Well now I'm back second guessing this game and Soyn. The censorship is ridiculous when we all have seen characters like Taki getting bloody dismembered in the demo.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Well now I'm back second guessing this game and Soyn. The censorship is ridiculous when we all have seen characters like Taki getting bloody dismembered in the demo.
I have the 1.00000000000 version installed from the physical disc now. Had to disconnect my PS5 from the Internet lol but my laptop is still up to stream her in all her uncensored glory

Last edited:
modified to show less skin.
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

RCdDAh7.jpeg
as I said, this "censhorship" could be literally a diffent asset In a folder used in that particular build. an iteration of the same outfit.

is there an official statement?

Do you want a letter of intent from the SIE management on Sony letterhead that they forced ShiftUp to change the designs?
kcZyAaL.jpeg
O0EzvCP.jpeg
81NKsRf.jpeg
Thq4r17.jpeg
n3Eswbp.jpeg
1bDqA9o.jpeg
LRhxBKu.jpeg

wRp75Cc.jpeg

when social media is full of bullshit, im guilty of being skeptical... I'm sorry. that's why I am asking

You're an adult capable of reading the situation.
what I am reading is the usual suspects online being all triggered for clicks and drama

until there is actual evidence/statements confirming the "censorship" this it is pure content farming.

Madflavor

That's not censorship. If they had gotten rid of those costumes, then that would be

exaclty. and we don't know the reason for it... right?

I mean, in costume design, it's very common to have multiple versions/revisions of the same outfit
6RFjLkc.jpeg

and of course we know in game development there is a lot of iterations and a simple file or folder can be changed/mixed for different builds.

but isn't the director aware of it? at this point this seems pathetic culture warz bullshit.

So far players have only discovered palette swaps when it comes to variations of an outfit. So as it stands, the versions we saw in trailers that were more lewd have been completely removed.

I mean yeah there is culture war bullshit involved, but being unapologetically horny was a big selling point to this game for a lot of people, and I think they have the right to be annoyed.

So far players have only discovered palette swaps when it comes to variations of an outfit. So as it stands, the versions we saw in trailers that were more lewd have been completely removed.

I mean yeah there is culture war bullshit involved, but being unapologetically horny was a big selling point to this game for a lot of people, and I think they have the right to be annoyed.
so, this outfit was also removed?

VwrGvGs.jpeg

Pejo

as I said, this "censhorship" could be literally a diffent asset In a folder used in that particular build. an iteration of the same outfit.
You did say this and you're just as wrong now as you were when you said it the first time.
is there an official statement?
Yes, you are LITERALLY in the thread where it's posted in the OP.
when social media is full of bullshit, im guilty of being skeptical... I'm sorry. that's why I am asking
Culture war things are one thing and just noticing that they covered up existing designs is another.
what I am reading is the usual suspects online being all triggered for clicks and drama

until there is actual evidence/statements confirming the "censorship" this it is pure content farming.
BRO YOUR EYES, USE THEM.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sony didn’t publish BG3. Larian were both the developer and publisher, so they could do whatever the fuck they wanted.

That isn't how that works. Sony wasn't the publisher of Devil May Cry, yet they still forced censorship. They weren't the publisher of Senran Kagura, yet they still managed to kill that franchise.

Reality is, Sony can make demands of any game that releases on its platform. If they want a game to be censored, they will make the demand and can deny the game from releasing on the platform until those demands are met. They have done this for years now.

Last edited:

Madflavor

so, this outfit was also removed?

VwrGvGs.jpeg

I’m talking about outfits that exist in the game right now. If you want the bunny outfit that shows more ass and cleavage, it doesn’t exist anymore. If you want to play the Word Game then fine, let’s talk variations. There are three variations of the Bunny Outfit that we know of.

Version A - Dark Colored, More revealing
Version B - Dark Colored, Less revealing
Version C - Yellow Colored, Less revealing

The Version A variant no longer exists. That outfit was removed in a recent patch. You can only acquire the B and C variants if that outfit.

As for the picture you posted, I have not yet seen a variant of it that’s more revealing, but looking at it’s design, it’s very likely a version of it that showed more skin probably existed. The yellow and blue straps on her torso look tacked on.

I’m talking about outfits that exist in the game right now. If you want the bunny outfit that shows more ass and cleavage, it doesn’t exist anymore. If you want to play the Word Game then fine, let’s talk variations. There are three variations of the Bunny Outfit that we know of.

Version A - Dark Colored, More revealing
Version B - Dark Colored, Less revealing
Version C - Yellow Colored, Less revealing

The Version A variant no longer exists. That outfit was removed in a recent patch. You can only acquire the B and C variants if that outfit.

As for the picture you posted, I have not yet seen a variant of it that’s more revealing, but looking at it’s design, it’s very likely a version of it that showed more skin probably existed. The yellow and blue straps on her torso look tacked on.
that's why I am asking cuz I am not following this drama at all. (I haven't seen any video) but Twitter and YT algorithms are showing me those thumnails/post.

BRO YOUR EYES, USE THEM
i just watched the statement.

UMohGqw.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Both Destiny Child and Nikke didn't really censor anything. Kind of telling that Stellar Blade has altered outfits because of Sony corporate meddling. I wish the devs stuck to their guns like Senran Kagura lead dev did.

I just find it amusing that devs said they wouldn't censor "anything" and backpedal so hard in short order.

"Internal discussions" is just PR bullshit and fancy talk for "Sony made us change it".

Top Bottom