• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Developer Shift Up addresses censorship claims "This is our final product. We are discussing this internally"

nial

Gold Member
Censorship apologist goons are gonna get me too riled up right now, I can't engage in this shit.

Fuck Sony, I knew their name was a pox on this game the minute I saw the partnership announced.

We had signs of it earlier:

Yoko Taro has a weird relationship with Sony, I do believe he was given the boot when SIE disbanded Sugar & Rockets (a Japanese first-party studio).
The devs should've made the game for the Switch 2 and PC.
They needed a publisher, and SIE is the first major international one to produce console Korean games since Banpresto (Magna Carta), I believe?

Last edited:

Madflavor

That isn't how that works. Sony wasn't the publisher of Devil May Cry, yet they still forced censorship. They weren't the publisher of Senran Kagura, yet they still managed to kill that franchise.

Reality is, Sony can make demands of any game that releases on its platform. If they want a game to be censored, they will make the demand and can deny the game from releasing on the platform until those demands are met. They have done this for years now.

You’re actually right, but I also don’t think the situation is quite the same as BG3. Sony is the sole publisher for Stellar Blade, so that basically makes them word of god for Shrift Up. Larian was in more of a position to tell Sony to go pound sand if they wanted to censor all the degeneracy in BG3.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
"tHerE iS 1% lEsS sKin". Damn keep crying about these outfits it's fucking hillarious. I can see which people have never seen a naked woman in front of them, which are the onces that make a big deal out of something that doesn't shown anything "censorship".

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Some of you look so dumb, with the overreaction. I showed this thread to my girlfriend and no, you don't want to know what she said if this already makes some of you upset.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Looks like the Cybernetic Bondage outfit also received a secondary round of alterations. When compared with the rest of the available outfits, what strikes is both the Bondage and the Rabbit outfit took steps to hide the character's bare, unsupported chest. Cleavage and an essentially covered chest, as in the purple bikini, are fine; seemingly bare breasts, not so much. Obviously, nothing can really be done for the body suits, but even there, the character is technically completely covered.

XTECGBV.jpeg

z75gNm5.jpeg

::edit::
It's probably also worth noting, the trailer image is from a video released on 4/15/24, covering the Japanese edition of the game. Things change during development, of course, but it's hard not to question this change, given the video's recency.

Last edited:

Pejo

"tHerE iS 1% lEs sKin". Damn keep crying about these outfits it's fucking hillarious. I can see which people have never seen a naked woman in front of them, which are the onces that make a big deal out of something that doesn't shown anything "cencorship".

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Some of you look so dumb, with the overreaction.
Damn look how cool you are coming in this thread and posting about not caring and posting a MJ gif. Real life woman/touch grass insults too? Whew!

So fucking cool man, I can't even take it. And you didn't even bother spelling censorship correctly because that's for pussies.
Bad Ass Beyonce GIF by TERRELL

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Damn look how cool you are coming in this thread and posting about not caring and posting a MJ gif. Real life woman/touch grass insults too? Whew!

So fucking cool man, I can't even take it. And you didn't even bother spelling censorship correctly because that's for pussies.
Bad Ass Beyonce GIF by TERRELL

Thnx for the correction, i appreciate that, but i will continue to laugh at your outrage!

skyfall

gore and suits have been censored, this is not uncensored game the devs promised sadly. Not too surprising with Sony as publisher.

Grummz has done a good job cataloguing most things being caught censored at the moment https://twitter.com/Grummz

Last edited:

Crayon

Okay so it's more than one outfit. They do look like little last minute cover-ups to me. The strange thing is why wait so long? The reviews are out and the game is landing on doorsteps.

And another cases of the changes being so small the question is why they bothered? It's still the horniest aaa game in ages so what gives?

And the skinsuit with the cameltoe armor is still there???

Idk it's all kinda weird.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Insults too... Incredible.

Is there anything you can't do?

You know, besides trying to have an honest discussion on the topic of the thread.

Let me ask you this question. What bothers you while playing and seeing her butt on the screen? Is there any moment during the game when you keep your face on the screen and look at her outfit and think "why don't I see cleavage?".

If you can get upset about this, then there is really something wrong with some of you here.

Last edited:
Okay so it's more than one outfit. They do look like little last minute cover-ups to me. The strange thing is why wait so long? The reviews are out and the game is landing on doorsteps.

And another cases of the changes being so small the question is why they bothered? It's still the horniest aaa game in ages so what gives?

And the skinsuit with the cameltoe armor is still there???

Idk it's all kinda weird.
The costumes were patched before day 1 patch maybe for the reviewers, CEO said that the patched version is what they wanted to have as a skin on the Game. It's super strange that other costumes are not censored if this is all Sony's doing.
Also, why would Sony approve the 1.0 release that Made it to the discs then?
That's why I believe in what the CEO said, because if this was Sony then the Game would have everything censored, not just some costumes.

Last edited:

Pejo

Let me ask you this question. What bothers you while playing and seeing her butt on the screen? Is there any moment during the game when you keep your face on the screen and look at her outfit and think "why don't I see cleavage?".

If you can get upset about this, then there is really something wrong with some of you here.
I've said this before in past topics and discussions on censorship. It's not necessarily the particular piece of clothing or reduced bust size or removal of blood, or the removal of posters or assets that bugs me. It's the fact that they do it at all to begin with. This is an M rated game which means kids shouldn't be playing it. Why is Sony the arbiter of what I should be able to see, even enough to supplant the vision from the game's creator? Do I also like butts and bunny suits and cleavage? Absolutely, and you nor anyone else that I would consider censorship apologists on the internet will dissuade me from liking those things.

If it's not a big deal, why did it need to be changed? What is the purpose of all of this nonsense other than to stir up controversy? I am on the side that wants the developer's vision to come to fruition and not be hampered down by whatever some Sony suit/DEI department has to say about it. It makes it even worse that the devs specifically stated on official social media that this game would be uncensored in all regions, then show a bunch of the vanilla designs without censorship in promo materials, only to get censored on a day 1 patch. Feels like a bait and switch on top of the usual things I hate about censorship.

You sound to me like you're projecting a lot of insecurities about yourself into this argument, where I'm just firmly on the side of anti-censorship.

Crayon

The costumes were patched before day 1 patch maybe for the reviewers, CEO said that the patched version is what they wanted to have as a skin on the Game. It's super strange that other costumes are not censored if this is all Sony's doing.

Ah I see. It all still seems to not be adding up. Like maybe some little concessions were made to please someone? But those someones are typically pretty hard to please if they don't get their way entirely. Whole thing doesn't add up.

The changes are actually reminiscent of the changes made to certain costumes in genshin a while back. They were a series of additional fabric covering little pieces of skin here and there. They didn't seem to make sense as some we might consider more sexy were not altered. It was definitely there but seemed hard to discern a pattern to it. This was supposedly done to appease the CCP.

If this is a compelled censoring, it may not necessarily be coming from the western woke bubble.

MiguelItUp

I'm honestly more so curious and questioning the idea of them pulling back on the gore. Especially when the amount of gore didn't change, just displaying the gore on her, which feels like they took out a nice element of detail in the game. I personally couldn't care less about the costume stuff. They're such minimal changes and it's with one outfit. Sympathy for those triggered by the adjustments made to their favorite costume. Honestly, if Sony "forced" them to do it, why didn't they ask them to do it before submission/cert/going gold? Especially as the publisher they're involved in the process of reviewing it before the game is released. So it'd be really weird to be like, "Yeah it's fine... wait we changed our mind!"

The "Hard R" thing, while pretty silly IMO, I guess I get because a lot of people "made a stink" about it. But the other stuff just doesn't make sense, unless it was a legitimate internal change... Maybe it was an oversight of things they meant to change and adjust and they figured, "Well, we're already patching, what else is needed?"

Crayon

I'm honestly more so curious and questioning the idea of them pulling back on the gore. Especially when the amount of gore didn't change, just displaying the gore on her, which feels like they took out a nice element of detail in the game. I personally couldn't care less about the costume stuff. They're such minimal changes and it's with one outfit. Sympathy for those triggered by the adjustments made to their favorite costume. Honestly, if Sony "forced" them to do it, why didn't they ask them to do it before submission/cert/going gold? Especially as the publisher they're involved in the process of reviewing it before the game is released. So it'd be really weird to be like, "Yeah it's fine... wait we changed our mind!"

The "Hard R" thing, while pretty silly IMO, I guess I get because a lot of people "made a stink" about it. But the other stuff just doesn't make sense, unless it was a legitimate internal change... Maybe it was an oversight of things they meant to change and adjust and they figured, "Well, we're already patching, what else is needed?"

The hard r thing I would have asked them to change because it is unintentionally hilarious in the wrong way. I don't agree with the pearl clutching but I definitely would be like "LOL, OOPS! Didn't notice that before. Sorry bout that!"

Last edited:

Madflavor

If it was just the Bunny Outfit, then it could've been brushed off as "Ah yeah we just genuinely thought it looked better this way." But the multiple outfit changes, the nerfing of some of the gore, coupled with the fact that they outright said Stellar Blade wouldn't be uncensored in all regions is kinda shitty.

Three

That isn't how that works. Sony wasn't the publisher of Devil May Cry, yet they still forced censorship. They weren't the publisher of Senran Kagura, yet they still managed to kill that franchise.

Reality is, Sony can make demands of any game that releases on its platform. If they want a game to be censored, they will make the demand and can deny the game from releasing on the platform until those demands are met. They have done this for years now.
So going back to the original point if you think they care that much how do you think full nudity can exist in BG3?
I've said this before in past topics and discussions on censorship. It's not necessarily the particular piece of clothing or reduced bust size or removal of blood, or the removal of posters or assets that bugs me. It's the fact that they do it at all to begin with. This is an M rated game which means kids shouldn't be playing it. Why is Sony the arbiter of what I should be able to see, even enough to supplant the vision from the game's creator? Do I also like butts and bunny suits and cleavage? Absolutely, and you nor anyone else that I would consider censorship apologists on the internet will dissuade me from liking those things.

The thing is that you have no proof that the vision of the game's creator has been supplanted. only that you don't seem to agree with what's been created. All you have is this from the creator:

However the final costume we wanted to show you is indeed the costume in version 1.0.0.2.
I want to clarify that is our final product.
However I know this answer is not enough to convince our user.

Which seems to suggest this is the vision he wanted to show you. Even has costumes in the game that show you more cleavage or legs yet you think these are censors instead of the creator's/studios vision.

Last edited:

Crayon

By the way whenever censorship comes up, I always want to share this post. Mind this is talking about government censorship not commercial censorship.

Chinese working in creative fields here. I didn't want to post in this thread because it's gaming forum and I didn't want to get too political, so earlier I just left the Chinese news source then left. But since this thread is still going on and it filled with bad faith responses and trolling, I'm feeling like I'm compelled to say something.

For those who thought "This might be censorship but the re-design is not bad, so it might not be a bad thing after all", I get you. It's just a game made by Chinese, enjoyed by you. They just changed some pixels and polygons on your screen and it might even enhanced your enjoyment. And even for us Chinese, it seems like it won't effect us that much either, right? It is just a Gacha.

Yes - these design changes are just minor scars for the game's creators.

But they are minor scars between thousands of cuts Chinese creators endured everyday.

You witnessed this censorship because this game hit the jackpot. It's a cash cow, the most important Chinese game in the global market ever, but it still need to bend its knees. Imaging what happen to countless smaller creators in China and the area under China's influence. You know what happen to Devotion, right? And they are not even Chinese citizens.

Chinese creators have been put in jail for: producing LGBTQ+ content, self-publishing, voicing political opinions...every "petty" things.

The horrible power that torture these creators, and the power that made MiHoyo changing some pixels, is the SAME THING. Genshi have it easy, because it's making money, and it earns reputation for China around the world.

About what's "an actual censorship", I can tell you how Chinese censorship works. I knew Gaming Era debated about Chinese censorship many times. It usually went like this:

A:"Chinese game can't have blood and bones in it!"

B:"Well, here's a,b,c...many Chinese games I found that have blood and bones in it. What you heard is rumor. Chinese government isn't really that bad."

I facepalmed every time when I read discussion like this. It's based on the wrong assumption that censorship is "law". But no, it's wrong. Law is: you can't do such and such things, they are against the law, so you'd be fine if you don't do those bad things. It's not how censorship works.

Yes, there some elements we Absolutely can't put in our works. You know those stuff. Like talking about certain square, Taiwan,Uighur, some dear leaders...

If these are "rules" all there is, then things would be far easier. But we have more complex things to deal with.

In reality, It is more like:

1.Absolute power abusers hold the red line.
2.They won't tell you where the red line ends.
3.They will punish you if you cross the red line but won't tell you what is exactly wrong.
4. And they can and they will move the red line however they want.

So, low-cut collar is allow or not? How much skins can we show? No no, THERE ARE NO RULES. Only rules are their orders are ABSOLUTE. You need to self-censored to fit their demand.

As a creator we always got vague "order" from bureaucracy like these:

"Have more patriotism!" "Not positive enough!"

OK. Then how to do it? Well you better figured yourself, otherwise you are in big trouble. It leads to horrible overly self-censored.

Last but not least: if you think Chinese government do this to lessen the objectification of woman, you are delusional. Woman's living condition in China is dire. The government official declared feminism is "corrupted western value". This is a recent pivotal example.

So. If you're enjoying Genshi Impact, please continuing doing it, it's good for the developers. If you think these costume changes are visual appealing, it's still fine, you can enjoy it whatever you want.

But PLEASE remember you're witness a tiny display of absolute corrupted power and people are suffering for it. Just don't be like "well, sometimes censorship do some good things then", because it's insulting too those who suffer.

Sorry for the long rant.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

If it's not a big deal, why did it need to be changed? What is the purpose of all of this nonsense other than to stir up controversy? I am on the side that wants the developer's vision to come to fruition and not be hampered down by whatever some Sony suit/DEI department has to say about it. It makes it even worse that the devs specifically stated on official social media that this game would be uncensored in all regions, then show a bunch of the vanilla designs without censorship in promo materials, only to get censored on a day 1 patch. Feels like a bait and switch on top of the usual things I hate about censorship.

You sound to me like you're projecting a lot of insecurities about yourself into this argument, where I'm just firmly on the side of anti-censorship.

That's weird, when you make a big deal out of it yourself. You make up a complete story for yourself when there is no evidence at all, and with that you try to justify it to yourself. I'm not sure how am i insecure about this? I've seen some of these outfits and i can't figure out how people can be so upset about this when there are much more in-game which reveal way more?

If Sony wanted to sensorship this, why are other outfits still in the game then?

Pejo

I can't bother about this at all, so how you make it look like im insecure right here? I've seen these pictures of a few outfits and i can't see what's really bothering people with all those others outfits in the games which are revealing more. Then you need to ask yourself why you think Sony is behind it when other outfits do reveal a lot?

Weird isn't it..........
I'm not sure what you're getting at with this reply, can you clarify?
The thing is that you have no proof that the vision of the game's creator has been supplanted. only that you don't seem to agree with what's been created. All you have is this from the creator:
Well no proof except the costume that the devs made being in the game on the disc when it went gold. Do you think he had a midnight revelation and woke up and said "oh shit, but wouldn't that bunny suit look better with a weirdly out of place layer underneath it? And that bondage costume, what if we COVERED the cleavage - Rockin' baby!" Do you really believe that happened?
Which seems to suggest this is the vision he wanted to show you. Even has costumes in the game that show you more cleavage or legs yet you think these are censors instead of the creator's/studios vision.
If you take the words at face value, I suppose. Guess we'll see how it plays out after they 'discuss internally'

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So going back to the original point if you think they care that much how do you think full nudity can exist in BG3?

Because a certain subset of mentally ill retards are the ones calling the shots and they have a massive grudge against Asian games. Take a look at all the games that are censored, games like Senran Kagura, Stellar Blade, Devil May Cry, Omega Labyrinth Life - what do they all have in common? They are Japanese/Korean titles that celebrate traditional feminine beauty standards. Not perverted bear fuckers. Not man-faced steroid junkies. Sony is hypocritical in their actions because the people they employ to push this censorship are hypocritical retards. It isn't complicated.

ss_lemonade

Well no proof except the costume that the devs made being in the game on the disc when it went gold. Do you think he had a midnight revelation and woke up and said "oh shit, but wouldn't that bunny suit look better with a weirdly out of place layer underneath it? And that bondage costume, what if we COVERED the cleavage - Rockin' baby!" Do you really believe that happened?
I'm pretty sure dev work tends to continue past going gold. It's not exactly hard to believe that the patched designs are the intended final designs but were just not a high priority for going gold to hit deadlines.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Both Destiny Child and Nikke had similar 'censorship' controversies. Not sure what rock you've been living under but you can see the images here:
Mmm yes but they didn't say they wouldn't like they did here. Which I feel is the bigger issue. Lying to your consumers is not a good look. Trust is hard to earn and so easily destroyed.

In retrospect this really isn't any different then FF Remake/Rebirth Tifa Lockhart changes. With the whole Cowgirl changes that were unnecessary.

Though if this game comes to PC I'm sure mods will be made to retain the OG outfits.

Pejo

I'm pretty sure dev work tends to continue past going gold. It's not exactly hard to believe that the patched designs are the intended final designs but were just not a high priority for going gold to hit deadlines.
Anything isn't hard to believe if you have delusional thoughts. I cannot fathom how people are still having a hard time at a base level calling this "censorship". I mean that should be the given part of the discussion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Because a certain subset of mentally ill retards are the ones calling the shots and they have a massive grudge against Asian games. Take a look at all the games that are censored, games like Senran Kagura, Stellar Blade, Devil May Cry, Omega Labyrinth Life - what do they all have in common? They are Japanese/Korean titles that celebrate traditional feminine beauty standards. Not perverted bear fuckers. Not man-faced steroid junkies. Sony is hypocritical in their actions because the people they employ to push this censorship are hypocritical retards. It isn't complicated.
100% nailed it.

Three

I'm not sure what you're getting at with this reply, can you clarify?

You call it "out of place layer" others call it underwear. What if he considered the cleavage a little too on the nose for the cyber bondage costume maybe it was a choice somebody at the studio made because they thought it made it look slightly more classy and would raise less eyebrow. Why is it automatically censorship by a different party in your eyes?

Mmm yes but they didn't say they wouldn't like they did here. Which I feel is the bigger issue. Lying to your consumers is not a good look. Trust is hard to earn and so easily destroyed.
I'm sorry but you're now ok with that "censorship" because at least they didn't say it was uncensored?

Could it possibly be that maybe, just maybe, Shift Up worked on and created these costumes and no regional rating board nor Sony told them to change anything so it wasn't censored in any country like they said?

Aenima

Both Destiny Child and Nikke had similar 'censorship' controversies. Not sure what rock you've been living under but you can see the images here:

Yeah but in the case of Nikke they always uncencor the outfits after ppl calls them out. On Destiny Child they had diferent version with diferent censorships. Korean Version was the most lewd with see through outfits, Japanese version was close to the korean version but without the see through in the chest area, then the global version was like the Stellar Blade patch, it added pieces of fabric to cover more skin in some of the more revealing one.

If they dont roll back the outfits to the same ones on version 1.0 then even Tencent is less anal about censorship than Sony. Whats weird about Sony is the randomness of the censorship. You have western games with full nudity, the asian games cant even have clevage in a +18 rated game.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You’re actually right, but I also don’t think the situation is quite the same as BG3. Sony is the sole publisher for Stellar Blade, so that basically makes them word of god for Shrift Up. Larian was in more of a position to tell Sony to go pound sand if they wanted to censor all the degeneracy in BG3.
Sony is well known for being hypocritical and one sided in its attempts to censor eastern games ever since they moved HQs back in 2016.

Madonis

I feel that this is so awkward because the game is still full of fanservice and sexy outfits, so this seems like a gesture to please...well, maybe the ratings boards?

Pejo

You call it "out of place layer" others call it underwear. What if he considered the cleavage a little too on the nose for the cyber bondage costume maybe it was a choice somebody at the studio made because they thought it made it look slightly more classy and would raise less eyebrow. Why is it automatically censorship by a different party in your eyes?
Slightly more classy design for a bondage costume in a game about a cyborg lewd female slicing up aliens and demons. Yep checks out.

Show me the bunny suits you've seen in real life where they wear a pair of briefs underneath the leotard. I might have been willing to concede to your point if the cut of the leotard itself was just lowered a bit, but that's not what happened. A last minute emergency censor job happened instead where they just added a layer of clothing to the texture in the typical lazy censorship way.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I feel that this is so awkward because the game is still full of fanservice and sexy outfits, so this seems like a gesture to please...well, maybe the ratings boards?
No, if it was to appease ratings boards these wouldn't be found on the disc. They would have demanded changes when they went in for the rating which would happen before they start pressing discs.

Three

DMC isn't censored anymore. The nudity in it also very similar to BG3 so it isn't about beauty standards being different or about man faced steriod junkies:

In the case of Senran Kagura and Omega Labyrinth life you have a point since it may be because they look childlike in their beauty standard. It isn't discrimination against Japanese devs though.

Is the bunny outfit + that red string outfit the only ones that have been censored?
The Rabbit and Bondage outfits are the only two altered by the day-one patch. The graphic icons for several other outfits, such as the bikini, may suggest they featured less fabric in an earlier iteration, but regardless, they remain the same both pre-and-post patch.

And actually, my bad, post-patch they also added panty hoes to the China dress.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
DMC isn't censored anymore. The nudity in it also very similar to BG3 so it isn't about beauty standards being different or about man faced steriod junkies:

Anymore because there was enough outrage. It wasn't a thing with early release copies of DMC5 via disc either. It was something enforced by Sony before they backed off.

Again, BG3 is a western game and as I said before Sony are hypocritical in their censorship because they hire hypocritical retards who have a bone to pick with eastern games.

In the case of Senran Kagura and Omega Labyrinth life you have a point since it may be because they look childlike in their beauty standard. It isn't discrimination against Japanese devs though.
The games were fine for years on Playstation without pointless censorship until around 2016 when they moved HQs. The creator of Senran Kagura literally stated it was because of Sony that he left and quit Marvelous. Omega Labyrinth released uncensored on Nintendo Switch. Its time to face reality.

FTFY.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Looks like the Cybernetic Bondage outfit also received a secondary round of alterations. When compared with the rest of the available outfits, what strikes is both the Bondage and the Rabbit outfit took steps to hide the character's bare, unsupported chest. Cleavage and an essentially covered chest, as in the purple bikini, are fine; seemingly bare breasts, not so much. Obviously, nothing can really be done for the body suits, but even there, the character is technically completely covered.

XTECGBV.jpeg

z75gNm5.jpeg

It's probably also worth noting, the trailer image is from a video released on 4/15/24, covering the Japanese edition of the game. Things change during development, of course, but it's hard not to question this change, given the video's recency.

Clearly someone at Sony freaked out at the last minute and made them put these changes in after the disc went into production. Really pathetic.

Madflavor Madflavor you were right

Last edited:
Top Bottom