• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Draugoth

Gold Member
QPeG2t5.jpeg

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m not sure still what this game is trying to be. I think the early previews were 100% wrong. This isn’t souls combat of any kind. It sure as shit isn’t DMC nor is it ninja gaiden.

The game for better or worse is just a slower Nier Automata.

I just made it to Xion. I’m hoping this game picks up a bit more soon. It’s currently not doing much for me. :/

TBH im a bit underwhelmed by the graphics....

I got Nier Automata running with high res textures and shaders and it looks more crisp to me.
Im seeing looks of pixels/ jaggies/ mixture of low and high res in these screenshots.

But the art design is epic though!! Guess in motion it looks way better. :)
Seems like you didn’t play the game yet. Game looks miles better than Nier Automata. I played both and Nier looks like a ps 1.5 game compared to this.

Not that Stellar Blade is the best looking game either, maybe late PS4 level, but miiiiiiles better than Nier at least.

Crayon

I'm not really into character action games like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry, but I absolutely love Soulslikes (including Lies of P and Nioh). Based on that, is this worth getting?

I'd call it closer to the souls side. Fights are spread out a bit and not every one is a huge thing. Lots more poking around and exploring than I expected.

This English vo killing me.... I got to change it at the next save.

Crayon

Do I have to craft one suit before it unlocks the next? The first outfit available is a pallette swap and I'd want to save my nano junk for something different.

Doomtrain

Really digging this so far. It definitely hits me more like a Souls game than a character action game, which is exactly what I was personally hoping for. Combat feels great and I’m glad there’s some exploration, too.

It’s definitely easier than Souls so far — I’ve only died once (on the Corruptor boss), and it’s because I had a brain fart and blanked on the parry timing. I went back afterwards and beat the fight without healing. I hope it gets tougher, but the fights feel satisfying either way.

My only real beef is that I wish some of the interactable things (human bodies in particular) stood out from the environment more. I’ve had multiple instances where I walked right past something important because I didn’t even notice it amidst the environment, and then I went in circles for a bit trying to figure out where to go.

Arsic

Really digging this so far. It definitely hits me more like a Souls game than a character action game, which is exactly what I was personally hoping for. Combat feels great and I’m glad there’s some exploration, too.

It’s definitely easier than Souls so far — I’ve only died once (on the Corruptor boss), and it’s because I had a brain fart and blanked on the parry timing. I went back afterwards and beat the fight without healing. I hope it gets tougher, but the fights feel satisfying either way.

My only real beef is that I wish some of the interactable things (human bodies in particular) stood out from the environment more. I’ve had multiple instances where I walked right past something important because I didn’t even notice it amidst the environment, and then I went in circles for a bit trying to figure out where to go.
The touchpad gives you Batman highlight vision.

Zheph

Use the scan function and you won't miss a thing anymore

Dr.Morris79

Haven’t been this captivated by a game in awhile. Combat is GOD TIER, my goodness. Can’t say enough.
Me too. Only just managed to get on tonight and even in the fourty minutes played I'm hooked

Really like the little touches too, like changing the music at the camp

Boobs are good, sexy outfits are good, but even without all that the game is fluid, I love games that flow like this

..But boobs are good though.

Good call all round I say :messenger_beermugs:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Absolutely love this game, the world, monster design and the music is god tier.
this is where gaming should be now, it's been a while since I've been impressed by a game.

Last edited:

SCB3

Now this, this is what I wanted from Bayonetta 3! The first hour or so were great, I love the combat and replaying Sekiro this week has helped me immensely with Parry timings, though one small complaint, why give a early game enemy a Shield, but a Unblockable long reach grab attack in a small space, ffs

Arsic

Now this, this is what I wanted from Bayonetta 3! The first hour or so were great, I love the combat and replaying Sekiro this week has helped me immensely with Parry timings, though one small complaint, why give a early game enemy a Shield, but a Unblockable long reach grab attack in a small space, ffs
Check your skill tree. The defense tree has like 4 counter types. Dodge, parry, avoid blue highlight moves with a counter, and avoid purple flash moves with a counter.

Invest SP in those.

SCB3

Check your skill tree. The defense tree has like 4 counter types. Dodge, parry, avoid blue highlight moves with a counter, and avoid purple flash moves with a counter.

Invest SP in those.
Yea literally as I posted I found them, super useful and good, beat the first couple of bosses without much fuss as well, Abaddon was so easy when parrying

Filben

Reached the Crater after my first session today.

Really getting the hang of the combat and those nice combos. Dodging is still difficult for me but parry works pretty well. Exploration is super fun and feels rewarding. Installing mods fitting your playstyle also feels good. Environments are fun to explore and look good and the (German) voice acting is excellent so I'm sticking with that one.

Not regretting buying this day one.

There is something about this game that puts me in a Dreamcast kinda space. Perhaps it's the music coupled with the aesthetic, the general design, etc. Whatever it is, it feels great. The Dreamcast was such a "mood" console. It wasn't just a place to play games, but it had a real feel to it and everything that was on it. Perhaps it's just nostalgia getting to me, but Stellar Blade is taking me back to that place, with all of the conveniences of modern design and tech.

Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube era was a magical time for gaming

How much we talking in that scenario and for how long? I'm just curious, absolutely not a dig
I pay $35 a month for 3 games out at a time game rentals. Including the ability to reserve new releases so I get the games guaranteed.

I can keep the games as long as I want. And get a discount if I decide to keep the game. For instance if I kept stellar Blade it would be $58.

I also get 25% off a game to keep ontop of the discount. And $5 coupon to buy anything from gamefly.

A few years ago I calculated how much I would have spent if I bought the 70 games I have rented at $60. It comes out to $4,200.

That is 70 games over the period of two years. 2 year Rental cost = $840

I don't buy games anymore. And I never go back to them when beat.

Now that games cost $70 the savings is even better.

They have thousands of games new and old. With the cheapest plan being $10 a month I believe.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is the input latency fully fixed with the patch? How responsive does it feel?

Damn Gigas is kicking my ass in round 2. Almost had it but then got unlucky with some timing. Is it possible to perfect parry every attack in a combo? Because damn I can't seem to do it. Hopefully get him down later when I play again.

Dr.Morris79

I pay $35 a month for 3 games out at a time game rentals. Including the ability to reserve new releases so I get the games guaranteed.

I can keep the games as long as I want. And get a discount if I decide to keep the game. For instance if I kept stellar Blade it would be $58.

I also get 25% off a game to keep ontop of the discount. And $5 coupon to buy anything from gamefly.

A few years ago I calculated how much I would have spent if I bought the 70 games I have rented at $60. It comes out to $4,200.

That is 70 games over the period of two years. 2 year Rental cost = $840

I don't buy games anymore. And I never go back to them when beat.

Now that games cost $70 the savings is even better.

They have thousands of games new and old. With the cheapest plan being $10 a month I believe.
Renting is shit though, it just is 🤷‍♂️

But I'm an avid collecter so I'll never see the renting point of view. If I went down your route I'd have nothing.

SkylineRKR

This game keeps getting better. At first the traversal felt a bit awkward but unlock phones as you go and it kind of starts to make sense. Some side quests also open up inaccessible parts of old areas. Its fucking good. Dying can still be frustrating as you might respawn quite far but all loot has been gathered and doors/puzzles have been opened so you just need to go there again.

The combat also gets better as you unlock more skills and start to understand its mechanics. Its quite versatile, you can perfect evade, or fish for parries. Or just go on the offensive. And lots of approaches seem to work. I also like how strong the gun is. Its not as strong as the sword but not as weak as, say, DMC or Bayonetta. You can seriously damage and end some bigger enemies with them too. Sometimes I equip the gun chip. To offset there is an ammo limit, and you have to rebuy packs (which are cheap mind you).

Stellar Blade gains a lot of traction right now. The hype surrounding Eve doesn't seem far from 2B right now, I guess we'll see her appearing as a guest character. Sony should broker a deal.

Renting is shit though, it just is 🤷‍♂️

But I'm an avid collecter so I'll never see the renting point of view. If I went down your route I'd have nothing.
If you were disabled and weren't able to work. Maybe you would see my point of view.

I'm not a collector, and I never go back to a game if I beat it.

It's literally, do I want to eat this month or drop $70 on a game I'll never play again.

Reactions: Isa

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Dreamcast, PS2, and Gamecube era was a magical time for gaming

I don't disagree man but...that's mostly nostalgia talking IMO.

Those were different times, we were (much) younger, more carefree and without the every day stress bullshit about the mundane (and not) shit that we have to deal with each and every day nowadays and gaming was this magical "thing" whereas now, it's mostly something that we enjoy 'cause it's become a hobby and something that takes our minds off the aforementioned mundane shit.

I'll give you that they were simpler times (generally speaking) and this western cultural brain rot, idiocy and politically correctness hadn't taken place yet when it comes to this hobby of ours (amongst other things) but again, I think that it's mostly the nostalgia talking brother 😉

Anyway, back to our regular schedule : Stellar Blade.
I think that I'll wait for the time being, I swore that I'd get it day1 but there's just too much stuff in my back catalogue now for me to go and spend 70-80 big ones just for the FOMO, game is still gonna be available in a couple of months from now so...

Cheers

Last edited:

Crayon

The environments are selling. I was surprised at the sense of place I was getting to feel about the city. There's moments where it does feel like there's a big city. That's pretty good because the maps are actually super basic.

I'm in the desert now and so far so good. I can tell I'll be in this environment for a while so ill see if I like this as much.

Someone mentioned the clock puzzle earlier. It isn't even a puzzle. It's painfully obvious, the dude tells you the answer, and you find a note nearby with the answer.

Still waiting for an actual puzzle. I have hints disabled, but also far, I don't even know what hints the game could give.

Last edited:
Top Bottom