• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Yuen interview about his new movie Okja, TWD (spoilers), & other things

norm9

First off, if you have a couple minutes, take the time to read this interview of Steve Yuen. Great stuff about his new movie Okja, The Walking Dead, auditioning, Asian Americans, Korean culture, among other things in this http://www.vulture.com/2017/07/steven-yeun-interview-okja-walking-dead.html Vulture article.

eta- WALKING DEAD SPOILERS AHEAD

In regards to Glenn-
I don't feel like it was too much. I'll be honest with you and put a full disclaimer here: I might not be objective, but I truly feel like people didn't know what to do with Glenn. They liked him, they had no problems with him, and people enjoyed him. But they didn't acknowledge the connection people had with the character until he was gone. I look at what happened and I think, That wasn't any more gory than what we've done before, per se. No one got their face ripped in half! People got their guts smashed out and their heads caved in. But this one felt gratuitous because one, it kept going, and two, I think they took away someone that I didn't realize I had made such a connection with until they took him away. I loved being on that show. Internally, it was incredible. Externally, it was tough sometimes because I never felt like he got his fair due. I never felt like he got it from an outward perception. I don't say this as a knock on anything. He always had to be part of something else to legitimize himself. He was rarely alone. And when he was alone, it took several years to convince people to be on his own. I'm thankful to EW for that wonderful cover they ran at the end, but we've had many covers before then that he never got to do on his own. Not until the last year did they give him his own cover, and then give him the one as he died.

I didn't think of it as racism, where it's like, Oh, this is racist. I caught it in a way of Oh, this is how we're viewed all the time – as part of some glob, some amorphous, non-individualistic collective. We're like a Borg, and so because of that, they're like, ”Well, we don't need to give the shine to that character. There's all these other characters who are so cool!" I'd always hear people go, ”I love Glenn, he's my favorite character." But the merchandise would go one way. That really might be the market, so I'm not going to sit here and be like, ”Why didn't they make Glenn merchandise?" But there was a disparity. They didn't know what Glenn was, and only in his death did they realize, ”Oh, that's what he was. That's the connection I had, and that's why it hurts me so much to see him die." A lot of the other characters are awesome characters, but they're exactly that — they're awesome and they're to be in awe of: I wish I was that guy or that girl. With Glenn it was, I think I'm like that guy. You take that guy out of the equation and you do it in such a brutal fashion, there's got to be some gut reaction to that.

On having to audition for a five line part-
I'm not saying this to be toeing the line politically, but I don't think it's the casting director's fault because that's too easy. It's also easy to say it's the system's fault. I think what happened is that we witnessed a specific incident that hasn't happened again, in which Bobby pinged on how ironic and obvious the situation looked from the point of view of an Asian-American actor, and he called it out, rightfully so. He was like, ”What are you doing here?" I disagree that I'm above that, but he's right — different non-Asian actors have gotten those straight offers. I could sit here and justify it as much as I want to say it's not skewed against us, but I think it's much more complex of an issue as to why it's skewed against us.

On being Asian-
How many kids have parents who let them do what I got to do? How many kids come from a situation where they were able to shuck the expectations of who they were, not just by their parents, but by the society they grew up in, and the collectivist culture we all grew up in? Even I struggle with the fact that I'd been doing what America told me I am without even understanding I was doing it. I grew up in the suburbs of Michigan. Racism was not overt, it was super undercover, and while you're there you don't notice it. You think you're fine, because 6 percent of your school is Asian, and that's enough. You go about it and you think, ”Everything's fine. But why am I beta? Why do I only have these types of friends? Why am I not allowed in this subsection of groups? Why don't girls think of you romantically, even if they say all these nice things about you? Why is there not that extra step to be like, ‘Oh, there's an actual romantic interest here?'" I think it's because when you're in high school, you're just a fucking kid! You listen to the rules sometimes, and as someone who grows up in a place that isn't as eclectic as you think it was when you were growing up, you just want to fit in, and that also means sitting in the pocket you think you're supposed to be in.

People who knew me growing up know that my most comfortable place is a very type-A personality. I can be aggressive and I can be very chatty, but also I can be very quiet. That quietness also is then misconstrued as, ”Oh, you're beta. You're only supposed to be beta. You're supposed to follow and do chores." I remember in high school, that was the pocket I fell into and I could never rationalize this feeling of general anger, because I was never comfortable in my own skin. I was like, ”I don't feel like I'm supposed to be here, but I am here." Then you grow up, you go to a place that's more diverse, you talk to other people, and you go, ”Holy shit. I became exactly what everybody told me I was instead of being who I actually am." That's where I feel like a lot of Asian kids are. I have hope for this next generation because they're growing up in a different time and have different struggles. I would say that with our generation, you talk to a dude and sometimes they do the version of the Asian that they think America is telling them they're supposed to be, and they don't even know it. That's where we have to be realistic: At what point are you circulating and fulfilling the cycle of our underrepresentation?

On Tilda Swinton and Doc Strange-
I'm not in her head, so I don't know to what end that was able to be understood from her POV. I would say that from her perspective, she got offered a role that she doesn't get offered, and she's one-of-a-kind, so she took it and she did a fine job doing it. The other end of the argument, do I think they could've accomplished the same goal and just had [the Asian characters] speak without the accent? Fuck, yeah, of course. That's the subtle, nuanced position that you find yourself in: Who's wrong? Nobody, kind of, but at the same time, kind of all of it.

Another good bit-
It was all about hiding the shame I had for myself for what I looked like, and I needed to reconcile that because I also had immense pride for it, too, for what I was and what I looked like, yet I was always trying to apologize for it. I didn't know how to make sense of it until maybe when I got to college. College was potentially oppressive, but I had good friends, and we were all living in it too. All my friends were white, and they were all good people, but we all played along. There was surprise when I caught the ball, you know? Surprise that I could run as fast as I could, surprise that I shot lights-out in a two-on-two basketball game. I didn't know that, I didn't expect that. ”Oh, wow, you're so funny. Oh, wow, you play guitar. That's so cool." Just surprise after surprise, instead of ”That's what you do." That was where I found my own unique voice through the arts. There, I was making people entertained and finding success, and a freedom to assert myself and be myself in it. People gravitated toward that: ”Oh, look how sure of himself he is onstage." But they still wouldn't give it to me offstage. They wouldn't give me the leverage or the freedom I felt onstage when I was offstage, because offstage, I'm not performing, so I'm still the Steven they think they know and that I'm supposed to be. And as I got deeper and deeper into acting, I found more and more of myself. As I got deeper into empathy, I got more and more into myself.

eta- On turning down roles post-Walking Dead
They weren't for me, and I stress me. A greater part of the argument is that we have to find this balance of the beauty of the collective of our Asian-American-ness, and wanting to show that in its best light, but also, not painting yourself without the broader stroke of who you are. We're both Korean-American, but I'm so different from you, and you're so different from me. I offer a unique perspective of me, and those shows didn't do that. They did offer cool perspectives that we would never have seen, and it was hard to say no because that meant precedents I couldn't set. But I made the conscious decision to say that the precedent will make itself, because I see it happening. There's a lot of things going on out there for Asian-Americans. People are getting roles, people are getting the opportunity to get these jobs; they're making these roles for them. What's cool about these offers is that they were all not ”Asian" roles, they were leads in shows. I inherently understood that if I took part, I'd make the optics of it better. But then I read more and asked, Does this speak to me, [to] who I am? and I said ”No." So I didn't do it. It's a funky line to ride, but I think that if you err on connecting to who you are, and your individualism in that way, you can never really go wrong, because life as an artist isn't about being a martyr; it's about doing you really well.

05-steven-yeun-2.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

I'll stop with the giant block quotes and just suggest you go read the whole thing. Dude seems like a real cool guy and I hope nothing but success for him.

Swing and a miss if old.

I’d always hear people go, “I love Glenn, he’s my favorite character.” But the merchandise would go one way. That really might be the market, so I’m not going to sit here and be like, “Why didn’t they make Glenn merchandise?” But there was a disparity.

Steve Yuen keeps talking about his Glenn character as if he was some fan favorite, but I never got that sense at all. He was a relatively bland character for the most part, and he was clearly eclipsed by the story's main character, Rick, and the fan favorite (for whatever reason, I'm still not sure), Daryl. Those are really the only two characters who had stood above the rest of the crowd to get additional attention on the merchandising front. Glenn had longevity for quite a while, I'll give him that, but I doubt many fans were clamoring for a t-shirt with Glenn's face on it.

norm9

Thanks for ruining WD. I'm still watching S6 WTF?!!

Er I was waiting to binge this so I guess there goes that plot moment

Sorry bros, I'm also behind on Walking Dead but I felt the article and interview was more important than spoilers.

Steve Yuen keeps talking about his Glenn character as if he was some fan favorite, but I never got that sense at all. He was a relatively bland character for the most part, and he was clearly eclipsed by the story's main character, Rick, and the fan favorite (for whatever reason, I'm still not sure), Daryl. Those are really the only two characters who had stood above the rest of the crowd to get additional attention on the merchandising front. Glenn had longevity for quite a while, I'll give him that, but I doubt many fans were clamoring for a t-shirt with Glenn's face on it.

Glenn was my favorite because he was a normal Asian character who actually GOT the girl. But I was always worried they were gonna kill him off for the emotions.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
lmao, this is like getting upset about hearing that Snape died.

No it isn't

WD is still airing; the 10th anniversary of Deathly Hallows's release is 15 days from today.

Sorry bros, I'm also behind on Walking Dead but I felt the article and interview was more important than spoilers.

You could have put in the minimal effort to not make the thread title an obvious spoiler, e.g. "Steve Yuen talks about Season 6 of the WD and his future plans" or pretty much anything that doesn't obviously say "Steve Yuen isn't playing Glenn anymore"

Er I was waiting to binge this so I guess there goes that plot moment
Sucks that it was spoiled but it was probably going to happen eventually.

You'll be waiting a long time to binge this show since it will probably be around for a few more years.

If you really are interested in the show the best thing is to binge a season after it's aired and then repeat the same step after the next season airs.

GavinUK86

Wait, people who still haven't seen last season of The Walking Dead are complaining about spoilers? Have you stayed off the internet since? How you managed to not hear about it yet?

Grenchel

My exs mom adored Glen. It was the only reason she watched the show. She dropped it a few episodes after his death.

Not

Banned
That's cool that he was offered leads in shows. Maybe things are only mostly bad and not unsolvably bad.

I guess it depends on the shows.

Corpekata

Banned

I mean, from a critical eye most of the cast is pretty bland. But TWD's audience is fugging huge and loves nearly all of the characters. As someone that personally kind of hates the show I think you're underestimating how big of a hook the cast of characters are for a large chunk of that show's audience, as underwritten as they are.

There's friggin Eugene shirts.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Uh spoilers OP, and I say this as someone who has seen it

It happened almost a year ago. You guys are LTTP, not the OP or article's fault.

oh-youh7sdt.png

Yeah...a year ago isn't that long in spoiler culture for a series centered around who dies...

Glenn was my favorite because he was a normal Asian character who actually GOT the girl. But I was always worried they were gonna kill him off for the emotions.

I don't doubt that for some people, Glenn was their favorite character. But the same was probably true of Carol, Sasha, Andrea, T-Dog, and Shane. I'd guess more people liked Glenn than many of the other characters, but still not near the love Rick and Daryl get.

The show also kind screwed up Glenn's death by doing the fake death thing earlier. That left a sour taste in the mouth that made his real death less impactful.

Nightwing. Dew it. I don't care how or why, but do it.

Ill be honest.... All my friends and family all abandoned TWD the moment he died. We were happy and glad that we finally got an Asian dude on a major tv show and in a inter-racial relationship! So when he left, we left and moved onto Into The Badlands!

BFIB

I mean, from a critical eye most of the cast is pretty bland. But TWD's audience is fugging huge and loves nearly all of the characters. As someone that personally kind of hates the show I think you're underestimating how big of a hook the cast of characters are for a large chunk of that show's audience, as underwritten as they are.

74f18e8f07d517b660f6f2e804a3aae3.gif

number11

Spoilers suck.. but it's only the walking dead.

Fuck people who enjoy binging TV series.

This show doesn't seem to be ending soon. You'll be waiting a long time before watching it. That's like saying I'm gonna wait until The Simpsons is done before binging it

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
A year is a lifetime on the internet.

Still, why put it in the title? Especially since the most recent season isn't on Netflix (where this spoiler happens)

This spoiler is everywhere (the comic, memes, etc) I don't know how you missed it.

This is some victim-blaming nonsense. Plus not everyone follows the internet like you do.

DOWN

Banned
Sucks that it was spoiled but it was probably going to happen eventually.

You'll be waiting a long time to binge this show since it will probably be around for a few more years.

If you really are interested in the show the best thing is to binge a season after it's aired and then repeat the same step after the next season airs.
That's what I do. I am only one season behind. This happened in the most recent season, which isn't even on Netflix yet.
It happened almost a year ago. You guys are LTTP, not the OP or article's fault.

oh-youh7sdt.png
Well under a year ago and I'm only one season behind but need the season to hit Netflix. This season hasn't hit Netflix and now I'm getting spoilers.

Korigama

I don't doubt that for some people, Glenn was their favorite character. But the same was probably true of Carol, Sasha, Andrea, T-Dog, and Shane. I'd guess more people liked Glenn than many of the other characters, but still not near the love Rick and Daryl get.

The show also kind screwed up Glenn's death by doing the fake death thing earlier. That left a sour taste in the mouth that made his real death less impactful.
I started watching the show fairly late after it began, but I don't remember seeing anyone bring up T-Dog as anything other than as a joke. And I'm pretty sure no one ever liked Andrea. Also, (spoilers for most recent season)
Carol's still there, even though Sasha isn't

EDIT: People are testy enough about spoilers right now, and I don't have any patience for it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I feel like a lot of posters in this topic are missing the Hawaii 5-0 joke.

Fuck people who enjoy binging TV series.

Nah they're not bad. I binged sense8 season 1 a few days ago. It's really not that difficult to steer clear from spoilers. Sure, original topic title before being changed was very vague but if you see a character name of a show you're in progress of watching, you don't open it. That's what I do at least.

Top Bottom