• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg's MUNICH is 10 years old and releases on blu today

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doX2E1vNtY8
Simultaneously Spielberg's most mature, restrained and ballsy film to date also happens to be his best-looking film. The compositions in this film are something else and now you can finally watch the Berg firing on all cylinders in Blu goodness.

So far The Digital Bits is the only place that has their review up, but it sounds like a great transfer.

Universal’s new Blu-ray release delivers the film in 1080p HD in its original 2.35:1 theatrical aspect ratio. Contrast is terrific, with deep, dark blacks, and bright areas that glow nicely but are never overblown. The image offers excellent fine detailing and texturing. The film’s color palate is subdued by design, both in keeping with the dramatic tone of the film and its 1970s setting. Very light print grain is visible as well, provide a satisfying and film-like viewing experience. This is as fine an HD presentation of the film as you could expect, I think. Audio options include 5.1 English and French DTS-HD MA, with subtitles in English SDH, Spanish and French. The English mix is naturalistic, with a wide front soundstage and ambient use of the surround channels. Dialogue, sound effects, and music are all cleanly rendered.

It's a pity Universal went with the pithy cover of the old single-disc release instead of the vastly superior one-sheet cover that was on the old deluxe edition:
Rl1GNZF.jpg

Anyway, apparently it's a Best Buy Exclusive until April, but get this in you in. One of last decades best pictures.

Punto

Neo Member
Still havn´t seen this movie. Actually I havn´t even seen the Schindler´s list cus I hate black and white movies (although Raging Bull was pretty good).

rude

Banned
Kaminski > *. I dislike the majority of Spielberg, but many of his movies are always so gorgeous to watch. Cinematography in War Horse was so underrated.

Still havn´t seen this movie. Actually I havn´t even seen the Schindler´s list cus I hate black and white movies (although Raging Bull was pretty good).

I both hate you and envy you. Watch them now.

Kaminski > *. I dislike the majority of Spielberg, but many of his movies are always so gorgeous to watch. Cinematography in War Horse was so underrated.

On the contrary, I think War Horse was one of Kaminski's worst Spielberg collabs outside of the cutting the barbed wire scene. Overblown stage lighting looked terrible throughout the film. Some seriously artificial-looking scenes because of it.

Madness

I love the film, Eric Bana acted brilliantly. But I don't like how Spielberg never even brought up the Lillehammer affair, where they killed an innocent Moroccan waiter and how the Mossad agents were arrested but released back to Israel in 1975.

rude

Banned
On the contrary, I think War Horse was one of Kaminski's worst Spielberg collabs outside of the cutting the barbed wire scene. Overblown stage lighting looked terrible throughout the film. Some seriously artificial-looking scenes because of it.
I was just about to edit my comment to talk about how much I liked that it looked like a big budget stage play come to life on the screen. I loved that look.

Yussss. So buying this.

Also, when this came out, the only really significant Bond-film presence was Michael Lonsdale (who played Hugo Drax in Moonraker), but now like half the cast has been in a Bond film. Makes me realize that we desperately need Ciarán Hinds to be a Bond villain (and basically reprise his brilliant portrayal of Julius Caesar in Rome tbh).

I love the film, Eric Bana acted brilliantly. But I don't like how Spielberg never even brought up the Lillehammer affair, where they killed an innocent Moroccan waiter and how the Mossad agents were arrested but released back to Israel in 1975.

That was a different Mossad team.

Punto

Neo Member
I both hate you and envy you. Watch them now.

Guess I´ll watch them then !

Lincoln and War Horse disappointed me greatly. That ending to Lincoln was pretty bad.

Yup. I have high hopes for the cold war thriller, providing it's the unrelenting Spielberg and not the PG Spielberg. With the Coens doing the re-write of the film, I'm hoping the former.

Raptor

Best Spielberg movie by far.

When Bana hear his daughter on the phone is pure cinematic genious right there, dem feels!

Also Daniel Craig at his most baller. But really, the whole cast is fantastic. From Ciaran Hinds to Almaric and Michael Lonsdale.

Madness

That was a different Mossad team.

It was, but you'd think since it was such international news, and the fact that it jeopardized all their operations in Europe, and was perhaps the main reason they stopped these programs, you'd think they'd have mentioned it. They made it seem like the main reason was moral objections by the agents, or dwindling funds/retaliation. But yeah it's an amazing film either way.

NYR

Angry sweaty pregnant sex is the best type of sex.

Not really. That scene sucked.

It was, but you'd think since it was such international news, and the fact that it jeopardized all their operations in Europe, and was perhaps the main reason they stopped these programs, you'd think they'd have mentioned it. They made it seem like the main reason was moral objections by the agents, or dwindling funds/retaliation. But yeah it's an amazing film either way.

Well the point made in the film is that Avner didn't even know there were other Mossad teams in operation until the end of the film.

The tracking shot was cool i guess
Besides that, the numerous Hitchcock references and stylistic choices, the mastery of suspense during the Karaboudjan and plane sequences, the usage of motion capture to put camera movement and angles in and through impossible places, the play on history repeating itself, the incredible pirate sequences that put anything similar in modern times to shame, the gorgeous soundtrack, the Chaplin-esque physical comedy, and Serkis' incredible performance as Haddock, and the willingness to use risky cartoon visuals like birdies and the plane propeller that fit the comic's sensibilities.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
After A.I., Tintin, Amistad, Hook, all of the Indiana Jones Sequels....? Come on now.
So much wrong with this post. Harder to take your seriously since you didn't list Always.

Except for Temple of Doom. There's nothing wrong with disliking that.

rude

Banned
Besides that, the numerous Hitchcock references and stylistic choices, the mastery of suspense during the Karaboudjan and plane sequences, the usage of motion capture to put camera movement and angles in and through impossible places, the play on history repeating itself, the incredible pirate sequences that put anything similar in modern times to shame, the gorgeous soundtrack, the Chaplin-esque physical comedy, and Serkis' incredible performance as Haddock, and the willingness to use risky cartoon visuals like birdies and the plane propeller that fit the comic's sensibilities.
I think the movie is an utter bore, but yes, the film is definitely masterful on a technical level. Lots of love went into crafting it.
So much wrong with this post. Harder to take your seriously since you didn't list Always.
I haven't even seen that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom