• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman The Animated Series is getting a Blu-Ray release

VulcanRaven

Batman The Animated Series is getting released on Blu-Ray later this year. More info will be revealed at Comic-Con:
Batman: The Animated Series on Blu-ray™

As the most acclaimed superhero animated television series in history, Batman: The Animated Series has captured the imaginations of generations with its innovative designs, perfect voices, and landmark approach to characters and stories. In late 2018, fans will finally be able to enjoy a remastered Blu-ray release from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Join many of the key forces behind Batman: The Animated Series for a celebration of the series and the first announcement of details of the upcoming Blu-ray box set. Panelists include producers Bruce Timm (Batman: The Killing Joke), Alan Burnett (Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay) and Eric Radomski (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm); 8-time Emmy Award-winning voice director Andrea Romano; actors Kevin Conroy, the fan-favorite voice of Batman, and Loren Lester (Rock 'n' Roll High School), voice of Robin; and some other beloved Bat-surprises.

https://comiccon2018.sched.com/mobile/#session:109b96a96d3a13134bb655eaefb8a038

It will also be available on DC Universe streaming service:

The best version of Batman in my opinion. I have Volumes 1, 2 and 4 on DVD already but it will be great to see it in HD. The series holds up really well even today unlike many other old cartoons.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The best news from DC in years really. I just hope they don't fuck it up with digital noise reduction bullshit like many releases.

News is actually from last year. About Batman TAS getting a blu ray release.What's new is that it will be in HD in DC's streaming service. But it could be just the first two seasons as DC's streaming service is only getting the first two seasons. Who knows though.

VulcanRaven

The best news from DC in years really. I just hope they don't fuck it up with digital noise reduction bullshit like many releases.
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was released on Blu-Ray last year and it looks great. I bought it few weeks ago. So it will most likely be like that. SubZero was released earlier this year.

Last edited:

Espada

This is fantastic news, I just hope the Blu-Ray transfer is good. If there's 2 things they NEED to get right it's preserving the visuals and the audio. It'd be a shame to get an aliased mess or poor audio mixing for this legendary run of a show.

dolabla

This is amazing. I was very close to buying all of them on DVD recently. Glad I waited! I'll definitely be buying this!

News is actually from last year. About Batman TAS getting a blu ray release.What's new is that it will be in HD in DC's streaming service. But it could be just the first two seasons as DC's streaming service is only getting the first two seasons. Who knows though.

I'm confused, because wikipedia said the show ran for just two seasons, but with a ton of episodes. 65 in the first, and 20 in the second. That really doesn't sound right, though. Either way, it's a great show.

I'm confused, because wikipedia said the show ran for just two seasons, but with a ton of episodes. 65 in the first, and 20 in the second. That really doesn't sound right, though. Either way, it's a great show.
you know what? I thought Batman TAS had 4 seasons. Didn't realize the first season alone covered volumes 1, 2 and 3 on dvd lol

VulcanRaven

you know what? I thought Batman TAS had 4 seasons. Didn't realize the first season alone covered volumes 1, 2 and 3 on dvd lol
Volume 4 DVD isn't actually part of the series. It is The New Batman Adventures that was made few years after the original show ended. It has different art style.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

More info was just reveal at Comic-Con:
DiquOPMX0AAmRgz

From Blu-ray.com:
  • NEW REMASTERS OF ALL EPISODES IN THE SERIES
  • REMASTERS of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero
  • NEW Heart of the Batman - featurette (60 min)
  • Select Audio Commentaries
  • Three Funko Pops
  • Deluxe Art Book
Interview with Kevin Conroy and Loren Lester:

This sounds really good but a bit expensive. I wish they would release the seasons separately like on DVD.

Last edited:

Doom85

Sweet, and I still need to get the BR sets of the Justice League cartoon. Hopefully other DC cartoons like Superman, Batman Beyond, and OG Teen Titans get BR treatment down the line.

RPGCrazied

Does anyone else hate paper sleeve disc holders? I'm sure its to cut costs, but its simply the worst for keeping discs mint.

Doom85

first season of teen titans has been out for a while.

Oh cool, thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I've got all the DVD sets of TT, but I'd like to upgrade them. I was glad they didn't wait too long to give Young Justice and Green Lantern TAS Blu-Ray sets.

brap

Banned
DiquOPMX0AAmRgz

From Blu-ray.com:
  • Three Funko Pops
  • Deluxe Art Book

This sounds really good but a bit expensive. I wish they would release the seasons separately like on DVD.

You know I would've bought this if it wasn't for the stupid fucking ugly funko pops. They need to fuck off already.

I'll be importing the french version is cheaper as it's $70. I have a blu ray drive for my pc so I'll just rip the videos and put it on my external.
Too bad french is usually region B. They usually have way nicer packaging than the US though. Bet the discs won't come in shitty cardboard even though it's cheaper.

Last edited:

Doom85

Does anyone else hate paper sleeve disc holders? I'm sure its to cut costs, but its simply the worst for keeping discs mint.

Do we know for sure if it'll be sleeves? I would like to know before buying as I may pass on it if it's the case. I bought a Twin Peaks BR set at Best Buy, had to return it because two discs were scratched because of the sleeves, bought another one and had to return that one as again two discs were scratched from the sleeves. UGH, sleeves are just as bad as stackpacks, boo on any company that thinks such packaging is acceptable. Thankfully a later version of the Twin Peaks BR set had normal disc holders so I got that one and lo and behold, zero scratches! Whodathunk?!!

Yeah, sleeves are also why I haven't bought the Indiana Jones series BR set or the Back to the Future BR trilogy set as from what I can tell on the back of the box they use sleeves. And those are mainstream blockbuster series, they can't afford normal packaging?! My Friday the 13th movies 1-8 BR set used proper disc holders for crying out loud, you're telling my can't give a 3-4 movie series that are among the most popular movies of the 80's non-garbage packaging? Pathetic.

Last DVD box set I bought that had sleeves, I backed it all up to my external hard drive. Then I threw the discs away. Fuck sleeves.

Nymphae

Banned
DiquOPMX0AAmRgz

From Blu-ray.com:
  • Three Funko Pops
  • Deluxe Art Book

How nice of you to reference but not include the price.

Does anyone else hate paper sleeve disc holders?

Does anyone like them?

Last edited:

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Going to wait for a price drop or a standard amaray release. I like the series, but not enough to shell out for a big box CE.

From Blu-ray.com:
  • Three Funko Pops
  • Deluxe Art Book

not really since sub-zero and mask of the phantasm are like $15 to $20 each.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I can't figure out what part of my post you are replying to.
Sorry, I meant to respond to vulcanravens post

Too bad french is usually region B. They usually have way nicer packaging than the US though. Bet the discs won't come in shitty cardboard even though it's cheaper.
I don't mind since makemkv will just bypass the region restrictions. That how I have done it when I imported shaolin Soccer and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood from the uk

Last edited:

dolabla

Man, that's expensive. The French version is in English? Cause $70 sounds much better. I have a Sony region free blu-ray player if it's region B. Or I might just wait to see if they release a cheaper version once those 30,000 sell out.

Man, that's expensive. The French version is in English? Cause $70 sounds much better. I have a Sony region free blu-ray player if it's region B. Or I might just wait to see if they release a cheaper version once those 30,000 sell out.
On Amazon there is two versions but both are the same price. OF course, the non-collectors edition may have been a placeholder until WB had officially announced it at comic con. It does have a different cover art.

dolabla

On Amazon there is two versions but both are the same price. OF course, the non-collectors edition may have been a placeholder until WB had officially announced it at comic con. It does have a different cover art.

Ah, ok. I see. Hopefully it is a placeholder. I'd much prefer a non collectors edition for around the same price as the French version. I just want to be able to watch it in HD. I don't need all that extra stuff.

Last edited:
Preordered, is it region locked though?
I’m using a Region 2 PS4.
You would have to wait till it is released to know if it is region locked or not. But most likely it will be region free as SubZero and Mask of the Phantasm are region free and they are included in the set.

Last edited:

Doom85

From the picture on this page from the press release.

I must not be seeing the sleeves then. If you're talking about on the right, those are the 7 art cards that come with the set, though for some reason the text below the picture doesn't mention they're included (but the Amazon page does mention them).

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Or I might just wait to see if they release a cheaper version once those 30,000 sell out.

WB collector sets usually drop in price well before they ever sell out. I wouldn't be shocked to see this set at the $70 price point you're aiming for.

Nymphae

Banned
It's literally in the post just before the one you quoted. It had just been posted, and didn't need to be repeated.

We don't all read every post on a page. I scrolled and saw a massive image post, with every detail available, except the price. It could and should have been in his post.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Possibly the best western cartoon ever made. Gorgeous noir + art deco aesthetic, perfect casting, and top notch writing.

Top Bottom