• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman The Animated Series is getting a Blu-Ray release

VulcanRaven

I just watched Mask of the Phantasm on Blu-Ray. I haven't seen it in years so I didn't remember much about it. I really enjoyed it and it was even better than I remembered. One of the best Batman movies. It looks amazing in HD and the art style is so good. The Blu-Ray has both 4:3 and 16:9 versions. I watched the 4:3 version because it shows the whole picture. 16:9 is the zoomed version that was shown in cinemas.

Soundtrack is great:

The price of the box set has dropped. It is now $101.61 on Amazon.

Last edited:
the uk version can be bought from amazon for £48.32(excluding shipping here) for those who want to import it. It has the two batman movies but no extra stuff like those funko crap.

brap

Banned
the uk version can be bought from amazon for £48.32(excluding shipping here) for those who want to import it. It has the two batman movies but no extra stuff like those funko crap.
Damn, it looks nice too. No ugly funko pop windows
71JkMP0JHKL._SX466_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G4CKGXK/

VulcanRaven

I watched Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero today. The last time I watched it was maybe 15 years ago on VHS so it was great to see it on Blu-Ray. It was almost as good as Mask of the Phantasm. I had forgotten many things so it was fun to watch. I feared that the cgi they use few times would have aged badly but it looked good. Mr. Freeze didn't appear a lot in the show so I'm glad that they made this movie.

81fMSYhssML._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I didn't want to wait so I've been buying the seasons on Amazon. My viewin order is

Batman Season 1
Mask of the Phantasm
Season 2
Sub Zero
Season 3
Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman Beyond Season 1
Beyond Season 2
Beyond Season 3
Return of the Joker

Shadoron

The opening was always by far the most "blurry" part of the show. It looks that way, even on the DVD releases. The only thing I'll knock WB on, in their comparison video, is that they should have de-interlaced the "original" part of the comparison. You can see interlace "juttering" during the vertical panning, and on the criminals once caught. That wouldn't have been there on a CRT TV back in '92. And it's such a (dark) (k)night and day difference, they didn't need to keep it in. Otherwise, this looks like a fantastic update. And the new price point is much easier to swallow. Hopefully they will show a snippet of a remastered episode as well.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Here is the remastered intro:

Looks great but almost too clear. That building at 0:45 was completely dark before.

The opening was always by far the most "blurry" part of the show. It looks that way, even on the DVD releases. The only thing I'll knock WB on, in their comparison video, is that they should have de-interlaced the "original" part of the comparison. You can see interlace "juttering" during the vertical panning, and on the criminals once caught. That wouldn't have been there on a CRT TV back in '92. And it's such a (dark) (k)night and day difference, they didn't need to keep it in. Otherwise, this looks like a fantastic update. And the new price point is much easier to swallow. Hopefully they will show a snippet of a remastered episode as well.
The New Batman Adventures is also in the set. I hope they show how that looks too.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

lol I found an animation error in the werewolf episode. Bullock's head disappears for a split second.

DDtYQGF.jpg

Gonna be a little sad when I get to season 3 and the animation style completely changes. Oh well.

kunonabi

lol I found an animation error in the werewolf episode. Bullock's head disappears for a split second.

DDtYQGF.jpg

Gonna be a little sad when I get to season 3 and the animation style completely changes. Oh well.

I'm not even going to bother with the later episodes. I'll watch that clayface episode but that's it.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

I'm not even going to be with the later episodes. I'll watch that clayface episode but that's it.

I'm tempted to do that but season 3 is the only time we see Nightwing. Also Tim as Robin #2 sets up the Return of the Joker movie in Batman Beyond which I thought was really solid.

Gander

Banned
If you guys haven't seen Netflix has two Batman movies called Batman Unlimited. They are pretty good, they remind me of the old series.

RPGCrazied

So how is the transfer besides the intro?

A remember a ton of dirt/grain/noise from the DVD transfers. Since its a dark show those problems are easy to spot.

Last edited:

JohnSpartan1982

Neo Member
The new intro looks fantastic as you think it was made last year.

Loved this show since i was 10 when it first aired and taped every episode even the WB seasons as a teen.

My fave animated show along with Spawn, Seasons 1 to 10 Simpsons and more.

Sub_Level

I'm on season 3 now.

This is rough. Really rough. The show goes from A+ to C+. But there are still standout episodes. Can't wait to finish so i can get back to Batman Beyond.

VulcanRaven

It was released today. Has anyone here had a chance to watch it yet? I hope they haven't removed all the film grain. I decided not to buy it yet because I need to buy RDR2.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I ordered this from Amazon France yesterday. It was only 29.99 euros so I couldn't resist. The French version doesn't have the movies but I have them already. Also the packaging looks much better. The discs are in Blu-ray cases and not in cardboard sleeves.

Last edited:
Blu-ray.com said it changed to 61.99 an hour ago. Guess it was a mistake. Amazon's been doing that a lot lately.

It showed $61 on the page but as soon as I put it in my cart it was at $99. Then after two refreshes the main page changed to $99 as well. Either a mistake or I missed a window.

Regardless, thanks for the heads up on it though.

petran79

Banned
I'm on season 3 now.

This is rough. Really rough. The show goes from A+ to C+. But there are still standout episodes. Can't wait to finish so i can get back to Batman Beyond.

Reminds me that the same studio also made Big O, except that the story there is much better. Feels like Bruce Wayne with mecha

I'm on season 3 now.

There's a few attempts to make a viewing order for the series to even out the slump the airing order and production order had. Also tries to give it a sense of progression so it makes sense that Bats starts with mostly regular crime first before the freaks start to appear.

Sub_Level

There's a few attempts to make a viewing order for the series to even out the slump the airing order and production order had. Also tries to give it a sense of progression so it makes sense that Bats starts with mostly regular crime first before the freaks start to appear.

Haha yea. One time someone even attempted a chronological order. Like come on son.

As someone who just recently saw the entire DC Animated series, my recommended order is

Batman Season 1
Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Season 2
Sub Zero: Mr. Freeze
Superman Season 1
Superman Season 2
Batman Season 3
Superman Season 3
Justice League
Batman Beyond
Return of the Joker
Justice League Unlimited

VulcanRaven

I just watched the first episode on Blu-Ray and it looks great. It looks much better than before. The colors look very good and I'm glad that they didn't remove all the film grain. I hope Superman The Animated Series get a Blu-Ray release too.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

no dont tell me Seriously ??? I m die heart fan of Batman Series
The set is back at 29,99 euros on Amazon France right now. I watched the episode "P.O.V." recently. One of my favorite episodes and it looked amazing. Its a great looking episode visually.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
I might have to purchase this, I already have all the seasons downloaded and watch them from time to time, but the upgrade to HD must be huge

Top Bottom