• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can at least understand the idea that Mindful Education isn't that great outside of a presentation standpoint. It suffers from some of the same issues as Alone at Sea, where the meat of the episode (Steven's trauma, or the Lapis / Jasper reunion) is given all of one or two minutes of screentime instead of giving it time to breathe. Not only that, but ultimately the thing that brings him back to reality is Connie, even though Garnet was saying the same stuff a few minutes ago in the episode.

The song's great, the animation's amazing, and I think it works even more strongly when it's mixed in with the rest of season 4's arcs (Steven dealing with his issues in Storm in the Room, Out of This World, I Am My Mom, etc.), but we spend a ton of time looking at Connie's (relatively) mundane problem not very much with Steven's. Not only that, but you'd think Connie would be dealing with some other stuff too, like mending things with her mom or the pressures of being just a human and getting wrapped up into all of the Gem stuff.

Connie hurt someone she didn't mean to hurt (breaking an innocent kid's arm with a throw). In a sense, Steven did the same thing, only on a much larger scale and to more people (Bismuth, not saving Jasper, throwing Eyeball into space). Sure, all of that was compounded with feeling inadequate to his mom's legacy. But there is some similarity between Connie and Steven's problems.

I think Mindful Education is more than Steven's trauma though. It was already a great episode before we got thrown a curve ball that Steven would also be dealing with his problems when he sees the butterfly on Connie's bag. Alone at Sea, on the other hand, is just tension and build-up to Jasper returning. The only thing before that is some jokes and Lapis clearly showing her trauma. It was pretty flat until Jasper showed up.

An episode that has this issue in reverse is When It Rains. To me, that episode is all about Peridot coming out of the bathroom and learning to trust Steven by walking out into the rain. It's a splendid moment, but everything after that just feels like filler leading up to Peridot finally deciding to tell the Gems about the Cluster.

I can at least understand the idea that Mindful Education isn't that great outside of a presentation standpoint. It suffers from some of the same issues as Alone at Sea, where the meat of the episode (Steven's trauma, or the Lapis / Jasper reunion) is given all of one or two minutes of screentime instead of giving it time to breathe.

You"ve hit the nail in the head. The episode opens a gate on a very important plot point (Steven"s issues and guilt) but it deals with it so quickly that it makes you wonder what was the point of it. The song was incredible, but cutting its time and using it to talk about Steven"s feelings would have been a better choice.

Connie hurt someone she didn't mean to hurt (breaking an innocent kid's arm with a throw). In a sense, Steven did the same thing, only on a much larger scale and to more people (Bismuth, not saving Jasper, throwing Eyeball into space). Sure, all of that was compounded with feeling inadequate to his mom's legacy. But there is some similarity between Connie and Steven's problems.

I think Mindful Education is more than Steven's trauma though. It was already a great episode before we got thrown a curve ball that Steven would also be dealing with his problems when he sees the butterfly on Connie's bag. Alone at Sea, on the other hand, is just tension and build-up to Jasper returning. The only thing before that is some jokes and Lapis clearly showing her trauma. It was pretty flat until Jasper showed up.

An episode that has this issue in reverse is When It Rains. To me, that episode is all about Peridot coming out of the bathroom and learning to trust Steven by walking out into the rain. It's a splendid moment, but everything after that just feels like filler leading up to Peridot finally deciding to tell the Gems about the Cluster.

Message Received also suffers from the When It Rains issue, imo. The episode feels like it's filling time up until the Yellow Diamond confrontation.

MartyStu

You"ve hit the nail in the head. The episode opens a gate on a very important plot point (Steven"s issues and guilt) but it deals with it so quickly that it makes you wonder what was the point of it. The song was incredible, but cutting its time and using it to talk about Steven"s feelings would have been a better choice.

I never got the impression that the episode was trying to deal with Steven issues, just outing them and letting Steven know that it is okay to share his doubts/pain with someone else.

This is confirmed later on as we see Steven still struggling under the weight of all his previous decisions and his general purpose.

TheSun

Y'know, I would love the townie episodes if they were good.
Or if the residents were interesting, or funny.

Funny thing is, if this show was a slice of life with gem stuff happening, like before the whole homeworld stuff came up, I would really dig it.
Then maybe I can grow to like the beach city vibe more. Now they feel like breaks from the more interesting shit.

Still can't wait for new episodes, any day now~

Message Received also suffers from the When It Rains issue, imo. The episode feels like it's filling time up until the Yellow Diamond confrontation.
I dunno, I love Message Received and I think all of its parts flow well into each other. The first part with Steven and Peridot in the car isn't just continuing the cliffhanger from the previous episode; it's clearly establishing what Peridot feels about Yellow Diamond and it's meant to trick the viewer into thinking Peridot is too far gone to be redeemed. The chase scene in the middle is pretty standard cartoon chase stuff, but it does an OK job of establishing how disappointed Steven and even Amethyst feel about Peridot. Of course, Peridot's conversation with Yellow Diamond is the best part of the episode. Heck, it's still one of the best scenes in the whole show.

The episode works a lot better in a rewatch once you realize Peridot isn't trying to sell out Earth or the Gems. She's trying to get Yellow Diamond to help Earth because she thinks the Crystal Gems are too "emotional" to get the job done. She was doing what she felt was right, even if she didn't see eye-to-eye with the Crystal Gems. It's only when she realizes that YD is acting irrational and that her perfect space god image is a lie that she tells YD to stuff it.

Peridot goes from viewing Yellow Diamond as a perfect, all-powerful logical god to telling Yellow Diamond to go fuck herself in 11 minutes of runtime. That's good stuff.

Y'know, I would love the townie episodes if they were good.
Or if the residents were interesting, or funny.

Funny thing is, if this show was a slice of life with gem stuff happening, like before the whole homeworld stuff came up, I would really dig it.
Then maybe I can grow to like the beach city vibe more. Now they feel like breaks from the more interesting shit.

Still can't wait for new episodes, any day now~

Townie episodes work just fine when the Gems are involved. I think that's why the Season 1A "townie" episodes feels lot better than the later Season 3 & 4 stuff. Stuff like Drop Beat Dad feel like they're from a completely different show, which is why they're a drag to go through. Meanwhile, Historical Friction, Love Letters, and Onion Friend incorporate the Gems into the story, so they don't feel as removed.

Plus, the pre-Wanted Steven Bomb wouldn't be as effective if it didn't incorporate human characters from the town who were abducted by Topaz and Aquamarine.

Good writing does help. The Good Lars is an underrated episode that doesn't have anything gem-related until the very end with the silhouettes following Sadie.

I can at least understand the idea that Mindful Education isn't that great outside of a presentation standpoint. It suffers from some of the same issues as Alone at Sea, where the meat of the episode (Steven's trauma, or the Lapis / Jasper reunion) is given all of one or two minutes of screentime instead of giving it time to breathe. Not only that, but ultimately the thing that brings him back to reality is Connie, even though Garnet was saying the same stuff a few minutes ago in the episode.

The song's great, the animation's amazing, and I think it works even more strongly when it's mixed in with the rest of season 4's arcs (Steven dealing with his issues in Storm in the Room, Out of This World, I Am My Mom, etc.), but we spend a ton of time looking at Connie's (relatively) mundane problem not very much with Steven's. Not only that, but you'd think Connie would be dealing with some other stuff too, like mending things with her mom or the pressures of being just a human and getting wrapped up into all of the Gem stuff.
A sensible opinion, I like you.

Not

Banned
When the fuck is this show coming baaaaaack

Does no one have any idea?

Sorry for the bump. I've been looking all around for any hints at the next air date. I guess it's only been 4 months, but it seems like forever. Especially 'cause of the comic con info.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, seriously. I’ve been listening to the official podcast and that live song preview by Rebecca was too much. I need at least an idea of when it’s coming back. I don’t see any advantages of leaving people in the dark like this.

Well, according to my guesstimate and looking at previous episode release dates, I'm guessing mid October to Early November. This season has gone off the semi- usual release schedule, which I want to believe something big(other than Lars) will happen later in the season.
Something that requires complex animation perhaps..?

I've been filling the time by listening to the podcast Steven University, where this hardcore fan rewatches the show episode by episode with his friend who has never the show. The friend is a refreshing perspective on the show, since he isn't neck-deep in the fandom and actually doesn't even like most other animated shows.

They just did Future Vision, and it's been a fun ride. There's an episode every Monday and Thursday. Next episode is On the Run, and I'm really looking forward to the reaction. They're finally entering the heavy-duty stuff from Season 1B.

I've been filling the time by listening to the podcast Steven University, where this hardcore fan rewatches the show episode by episode with his friend who has never the show. The friend is a refreshing perspective on the show, since he isn't neck-deep in the fandom and actually doesn't even like most other animated shows.

They just did Future Vision, and it's been a fun ride. There's an episode every Monday and Thursday. Next episode is On the Run, and I'm really looking forward to the reaction. They're finally entering the heavy-duty stuff from Season 1B.

I think my favorite thing between them so far is referring to Lapis as the "Green Power Ranger Gem" and scaring everyone because they hadn't gotten to Peridot yet.

I think my favorite thing between them so far is referring to Lapis as the "Green Power Ranger Gem" and scaring everyone because they hadn't gotten to Peridot yet.

My favorite moment in the podcast so far was just a few episodes ago, where Chris (the newbie) finally declared that he had a "big" theory after watching Alone Together...and it was that Garnet is a fusion. I had the biggest stupid grin on my face hearing it. That's it, he's hooked. No turning back now (even if he still gets the gems' names mixed up from time to time).

TheSun

Y'know, I love this show.
But I like it even better when I can fecking watch it.

But yeah, a lot of podcasts for this show.
Might go back to the Laura K one which appeared on my recommended podcast thing.
I'll even check out the one y'all are talking about. But I'll leave it at that.

Late edit:
Awww yeah, my burning question has been answered!
http://pearlouettes.tumblr.com/image/165794825744

My favorite moment in the podcast so far was just a few episodes ago, where Chris (the newbie) finally declared that he had a "big" theory after watching Alone Together...and it was that Garnet is a fusion. I had the biggest stupid grin on my face hearing it. That's it, he's hooked. No turning back now (even if he still gets the gems' names mixed up from time to time).

Him thinking Steven was going to fuse with Connie back in Fusion Cuisine was pretty fun too, although I feel like it being the episode really blowing the lid off of potential fusions didn't help.

CN must be having a REALLY hard time figuring out how to best approach airing these episodes...

Watch the whole season get shadowdropped a 5AM on Boomerang and never be aired again.

McLovin

When the fuck is this show coming baaaaaack

Does no one have any idea?

Sorry for the bump. I've been looking all around for any hints at the next air date. I guess it's only been 4 months, but it seems like forever. Especially 'cause of the comic con info.
Yo, I thought maybe it came back, I was so excited. Apology not accepted😫

In some more...positive news, today is the 25th anniversary of Cartoon Network. Steven Universe got highlighted along with some other shows in this 25th anniversary sign-on that aired today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShYWt5iAbJk. I feel it got some decent attention in this video, so I think the network is just incompetent and not actively trying to bury it.

Warning: the above video features a moment of "How do you do, fellow kids?" dabbing.

Fun video, though I'm kind of salty
Regular Show
and
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
weren't included.

Zubz

Banned
The curse of the "Bomb" format. Hopefully we get a lot of episodes in close succession whenever the show does come back. Whenever that may be.

Fun video, though I'm kind of salty
Regular Show
and
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
weren't included.

Wait, what? They just cancelled the former show!

Maybe they split up the series featured between past older series (Dexter, Johnny Bravo, Grim & Mandy, etc.) and shows that have new episodes yet to air (which is why Adventure Time and Clarence is in there). Regular Show is over, but it's not considered an "old" series yet, I guess.

But yeah, Regular Show deserves to be in there even more than Foster's. A lot of the high school students I teach LOVE that show and it was a strong #2 to Adventure Time in its hey-day.

If it's any consolation, Regular Show, Foster's and even Flapjack (hell yes!) are featured in the 25 Years logo and short promo vid:

25-years-paley-website-8.25.png

If anything, the long promo vid tells me that Cartoon Network definitely views OK KO as a future staple of the network.

Yeah, OK KO's been getting a lot of re-runs and ad presence right now. It's clear that CN want's it to succeed, but time will tell if it keeps it's head above water or gets tossed by the wayside for more Teen Titans GO! re-runs like so many shows before it.

Finaj

CN could really use an action-focused show(ex. Voltron, Young Justice, etc.), but those tend to be more expensive and prone to cancellation.

CN could really use an action-focused show(ex. Voltron, Young Justice, etc.), but those tend to be more expensive and prone to cancellation.

They've actually started re-running Teen Titans 2003 for a couple of hours a day now toto piggy-back off of GO!'s success, so that and the Ben 10 revival shows they might be warming up to action again...

Ogodei

OKKO has the same basic appeal as Teen Titans Go, even if the two shows' sense of humor is pretty different (OKKO doesn't rely nearly as much on characters being jerks for the sake of comedy, though uses it occasionally). It's a superhero slice-of-life show.

As for Steven Universe, they're probably going to relegate it to the same slot as where they're now airing new Adventure Time and Powerpuff Girls '16: Sundays at 6 or 7 PM. Although they were giving both shows the weeknight airing treatment earlier this year, so Steven Universe might still be in the network's better graces.

I was about to say that Justice League Action is a thing that "exists," but I don't if you can call being aired with almost no promotion at 7:30am on Saturday mornings and with no reruns "existing". Plus, it's more like "Brave and the Bold" than Justice League.

To Cartoon Network, I would imagine that Ben 10 and Powerpuff Girls qualify as "action" shows, but the reboots lean way more into comedy.

OK KO has fighting all the time, but it's also more comedy-focused. Adventure Time has its fair share of action...but that's ending. Steven Universe has probably the most serious action scenes on the network right now, considering a character got straight-up killed two episodes ago. But it would not call it an "action" show.

I'm fairly certain that we won't see Steven Universe coming back until OK KO finishes its first season. That seems to be the new show they're pushing most heavily now. Once it finishes, I can see new Steven Universe episodes taking their weeknight 7pm slot back. They're definitely burning off AT and PPG in that Sunday night slot though.

abundant

Man, I just need an air date.

This is the one thing I wished CN would start doing. Disney, even though their schedule can be erratic at times, almost always promotes a return date. For instance, we've known for a while now the Star vs. The Forces of Evil returns in the beginning of November.

gosox333

This is really the longest hiatus?

I must be getting numb lol. I wouldn't have thought it was anywhere near that if I hadn't checked in here.

Sadsic

They showed a clip from the next episode - "Dewey Wins". Takes place right after the last bomb. They announced new episodes are coming "this winter" but didnt say a date

Winter could be January

We've only gotten like 15 episodes this year

This could be by far the lowest amount of episodes released in a year

Morlas

A timeframe is good enough for me...probably a steven universe christmas which is fine for me why do people always go with these technicalities when it comes to time frames anyway when i say winter i mean the last couple of months this year

Morlas

looking at the preview
I'm glad that they're exploring how selfish self-sacrifice can actually be and that Connie isn't just accepting of the fact that Steven just gave up on both himself and his friends/family just because things looked bad it's a good lesson

Townie episode to come back with? Winter before we get any episodes, with no firm date in place?

Shit.

Based on the clip they showed, it may be a “townie” episode, but there is absolutely some direct fallout from what happened in Wanted. Leaked NYCC clip spoiler:
The episode opens with Steven starting to walk Connie home, but Connie is very pissed and disappointed in him for just giving himself up like he did. Steven, however, just doesn’t get what the problem is.

Thank God they’re addressing the fact that Steven’s loved ones might/should be angry at him for thinking his life had so little value and for thinking that he has to do everything by himself. I imagine that this will be a townie episode in the way that Political Power was a townie episode: Steven spends the episode with Dewey, but learns an extremely important lesson that connects back to the main storyline.

ReAxion

Rebecca was on Best Show on Tuesday. anyone else listen?

Jasper's fusion with the corrupted gem has its own gem,
it's a mustard-colored zebra jasper, but she hasn't chosen a name so it's not quite "official".

Tom's reaction to someone asking what Jasper's favorite ice-cream was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom