• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

Apoted at the Gamestop Managers meeting.

IQRuWW2.jpg

fuck yeah digimon

Not sure, doesn’t look like they sell directly to customers outside of conventions. Maybe try contacting them via email or Instagram. My guess though is it’s probably not for sale and is used just to get people to stop by their booths.

https://www.uccdist.com/contact

Couple more shots:
They just got back to me, said they'd be selling the Lion plushie on Amazon at the end of the month dor $50. Don't know if thats the really big one (asked in a follow up) but in case any one else is interested.

TheSun

I can't wait for new episodes. Dunno when but I'm still hype.

Had a dream about pink and white diamond. They looked old as hell. I was disappointed.

Hope their reveal is cool.

I just want regular on model figures of the characters and not this weird hyper stylized stuff
Seriously. I'm not even asking for mid-tier stuff like Figma. Just normal action figures. Think of how toyetic the Gems are! Garnet has gauntlets and rocket punches, Pearl has a spear and swords, and Amethyst has a whip and can shapeshift.

Instead, all we get are Funko Pops, tiny blind box toys, and off-brand Lego figures.

Well, "Mr. Greg" lost in the Outstanding Short Form Animated Category at the Emmys. But at least it lost to Adventure Time's "Islands Part 4: Imaginary Resources". Islands was arguably the best Adventure Time has ever been, so it's definitely deserving of an Emmy.

Well, "Mr. Greg" lost in the Outstanding Short Form Animated Category at the Emmys. But at least it lost to Adventure Time's "Islands Part 4: Imaginary Resources". Islands was arguably the best Adventure Time has ever been, so it's definitely deserving of an Emmy.

Man i have fallen off so hard on Adventure time :/

Ok, I just saw a fantastic music video/performance between Teen Titans eps with a song about love and being "stronger than you" with SU imagery. I don't watch (not out of dislike, haven't even been able to keep up with AT anymore) but would love to know the context and origin of that song. Powerful. Got my eyes wet.

Ok, I just saw a fantastic music video/performance between Teen Titans eps with a song about love and being "stronger than you" with SU imagery. I don't watch (not out of dislike, haven't even been able to keep up with AT anymore) but would love to know the context and origin of that song. Powerful. Got my eyes wet.
One of the shows Villains thought it was disgusting that two of the characters chose to stay fused to eachother all the time and tried to break em apart, but the two characters that are constantly fused (and usually addressed as being an individual because of how strong their connection is) consider themselves stronger because they're together. The two beings (known together as Garnet) fight of the villain (Jasper) and win while singing this song.

The fusion of the two characters and their insistence to stay together is a metaphor for the strength in their relationship and i assume that Jasper's disgust is a metaphor for homophobia (?) As both of Garnet's halves are female.

It could probably be explained better but this is the short of it.

It's also a great little encapsulation of a lot of the show's themes. Love is stronger than hate, being with your loved one no matter who the are or what other people think, and acceptance in the broadest senses.

Amazing song, amazing show.

Loved it. Thanks folks. Will have to invest time in this show. The few I've seen and the expanded lore always piqued my interest. That performance though was inspiring.

Man, that really must be a hell of an episode. Mr. Greg tore me up pretty good.

I've been out of the show for a couple seasons. How's it still going? Pretty good?

A chunk of season 4 has been a low point for series, with the episode Rocknaldo arguably being the 'worst', but I'd say the middle of the season and ending were the strongest. The end of season 4 and the beginning of season 5 are certainly a game changer

A chunk of season 4 has been a low point for series, with the episode Rocknaldo arguably being the 'worst', but I'd say the middle of the season and ending were the strongest. The end of season 4 and the beginning of season 5 are certainly a game changer

The crew's revealed that seasons 1-5 were still produced as seasons 1-3 (season 1a-1b are season 1, seasons 2-3 are season 2, seasons 4-5 are season 3), so it makes sense that the even-numbered seasons would be slower ones. The whole Peridot arc probably made it seem less so back in 2 because a bunch of episodes were consecutive, but I'd probably consider Rocknaldo and Tiger Philanthropist to be roughly analogous to Nightmare Hospital and Sadie's Song.

I wouldn't really say any seasons going forward have hit "new lows" (Rocknaldo is still a more palatable episode than Keep Beach City Weird or Rising Tides, Crashing Skies imo), but they've definitely hit new highs - the whole Out of This World bomb came completely out of left field and still has one of the better payoffs of the entire series. And yeah, the end of season 4 / beginning of season 5 are definitely suggesting we're in for some shit this season.

Season 4 was the most inconsistent damned stuff. Top of the line episodes like Mindful Education, That Will Be All and Last One Out Of Beach City nestled alongside wastes of time like Onion Gang or Rocknaldo.

It's for the show's immense benefit that we've finally moved past Jail Break as the show's driving force, though. It wasn't until Out Of This World that we finally had some plot developments which didn't come as a direct result of that episode.

Season 4 was the most inconsistent damned stuff. Top of the line episodes like Mindful Education, That Will Be All and Last One Out Of Beach City nestled alongside wastes of time like Onion Gang or Rocknaldo.

It's for the show's immense benefit that we've finally moved past Jail Break as the show's driving force, though. It wasn't until Out Of This World that we finally had some plot developments which didn't come as a direct result of that episode.

Yeah, and I think Wanted is going to ultimately take Jail Break's place in that regard. I mean, hell, that's basically the biggest status quo change we've had since then.

Mesousa

Banned
That Mr.Smiley/Mr.Frowney episode was probably the worst bit of animation I had seen since Pocahontas II Journey to a new world. Absolutely Horrific stuff.

That Mr.Smiley/Mr.Frowney episode was probably the worst bit of animation I had seen since Pocahontas II Journey to a new world. Absolutely Horrific stuff.
That and Onion Gang were the absolute worst. They were the only two episodes that had wondering why I was even watching this show. Of course, they were quickly followed up with top-tier stuff, so I was sucked back in.

Rocknaldo isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The Gems not giving a single shit about him was great, especially when they just dumped his body in front of the fry shop in the middle of the night.

Season 5 started off extremely strong with Wanted. Hopefully they can keep the momentum going. Even if they had an Onion episode at this point, it would obviously deal with the fallout of Onion being kidnapped.

Psxphile

Don't worry guys, Steven Universe Kai will get rid of all that townie filler. Nothing but Gems, Gem lore and Gem fights from beginning to end. And in an ironic twist, I hear they're bringing in Bruce Falcouner to redo the soundtrack, too!

Don't worry guys, Steven Universe Kai will get rid of all that townie filler. Nothing but Gems, Gem lore and Gem fights from beginning to end. And in an ironic twist, I hear they're bringing in Bruce Falcouner to redo the soundtrack, too!

Some of the townie episodes are fine, but don't anyone try to defend episodes like Rocknaldo, Future boy zoltron, or Onion gang. Rocknaldo is a big offender since nothing happens besides the gems shitting on Ronaldo. They've dedicated 3 episodes to that fuckboi and he hasn't changed since being introduced! Why must Sugar keep giving air time to that stagnant character.

Townie Filler isn't inherently bad- I lose Restaurant Wars over my cold, dead body.

Future Boy Zoltron was meh- suffered for coming immediately after Mindful Education, but hardly terrible. At least it didn't utterly waste my time like Onion Gang did!

Zubz

Banned

If it gives us the "Further Beyond" music, or replaces Peridot's theme with, like, Perfect Cell's, I'm fine with putting Sugar's music to the sidelines.

Some of the townie episodes are fine, but don't anyone try to defend episodes like Rocknaldo, Future boy zoltron, or Onion gang. Rocknaldo is a big offender since nothing happens besides the gems shitting on Ronaldo. They've dedicated 3 episodes to that fuckboi and he hasn't changed since being introduced! Why must Sugar keep giving air time to that stagnant character.

I mean, she had plans for Lars that seemed stagnant, & now he's
a pink-skinned, undead Captain Harlock expy
. Maybe there're big plans for Ronaldo? I mean, he's already an expy himself, of Dib. And he's yet to directly interact with the Zim expy...

I mean, she had plans for Lars that seemed stagnant, & now he's
a pink-skinned, undead Captain Harlock expy
. Maybe there're big plans for Ronaldo? I mean, he's already an expy himself, of Dib. And he's yet to directly interact with the Zim expy...

Ronaldo's character arc better have a decent pay off then if they are setting it up.
I'd rather have more onion episodes; that kid is a strange one.

I"ve been thinking a lot about Mindful Education

boy is that episode...not great.

Yet I wouldnt call it bad either, its a great concept that suffers due to weak execution

Jofamo

I"ve been thinking a lot about Mindful Education

boy is that episode...not great.

Yet I wouldnt call it bad either, its a great concept that suffers due to weak execution

Mindful Education is easily in my Top 5 favourite Steven Universe episodes. It's masterful.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Mindful Education is the only episode that got me close to tears. Seeing a cartoon using mind management concepts that way was powerful to me because it's something that helped me A LOT (and still does). Don't have any problems with the execution either.

Jofamo

Mindful Education is the only episode that got me close to tears. Seeing a cartoon using mind managament concepts that way was powerful to me because it's something that helped me A LOT (and still does). Don't have any problems with the execution either.

I really don't understand how an episode with a song as amazing as 'Here comes a thought', a plot about taking time out to come to terms with all the crazy shit that's happening around you, coupled with guest animation by Takafumi Hori could be considered lacking in execution.

But hey that's just me.

JSevere

Mindful Education is no doubt my favorite ep of SU. Great guest animation, beautiful music, character beats are flawlessly executed, and it's full of so much heart.

I can at least understand the idea that Mindful Education isn't that great outside of a presentation standpoint. It suffers from some of the same issues as Alone at Sea, where the meat of the episode (Steven's trauma, or the Lapis / Jasper reunion) is given all of one or two minutes of screentime instead of giving it time to breathe. Not only that, but ultimately the thing that brings him back to reality is Connie, even though Garnet was saying the same stuff a few minutes ago in the episode.

The song's great, the animation's amazing, and I think it works even more strongly when it's mixed in with the rest of season 4's arcs (Steven dealing with his issues in Storm in the Room, Out of This World, I Am My Mom, etc.), but we spend a ton of time looking at Connie's (relatively) mundane problem not very much with Steven's. Not only that, but you'd think Connie would be dealing with some other stuff too, like mending things with her mom or the pressures of being just a human and getting wrapped up into all of the Gem stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom