• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made some fan art, this is of the home world:
C1AK5Lv.jpg

vypek

Couldn't help making this gif once I saw this scene:
tumblr_nroyhaoZww1rirdwco1_1280.gif

I really want to watch Gurren Lagaan now.

I'm also bummed that three seasons is apparently all there's going to be. Sure, that means the series is not even half done, but things have slowed down quite a bit after Jailbreak, making it seem we're only going to see changes to the status quo during season finales. If there's only three seasons, that's not a lot of room for manoeuvre to take the series to new places...

3 seasons was confirmed as the total number of seasons?

Raxus

I dunno where people are getting the idea either. The show JUST got renewed for a 3rd season (when that happened is questionable) and there was NO announcement it would be the final season nor has any of the creators said otherwise.

I haven't heard the three season thing anywhere else

Yeah, they announced the renewal for a third season, nothing more than that. If RS and company want more seasons, I'm sure they'll get them from Cartoon Network. The shows is really building mindshare and is one of their top shows; it would take a catastrophic ratings collapse or behind the scenes personal disaster for CN to lose interest.

I wouldn't worry, we're going to get the whole story. It all depends on RS's plan as to how long that's going to take.

Raxus

I am a little disappointed there are no one legged Peridot pics on Tumblr yet.

I need me some peg legged Piratedot.

Arrrrrr...why you be breaking all my things?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really hope not.
I hate dumbledore as a beloved character.
Also Pearl is infinitely superior to Snape

Pearl is totally Snape. Forced to take care of this kid that does nothing but remind her of what she's lost.

I bet we'll learn darker stuff about Rose at some point a-la Dumbledore in HP.

Probably just stuff she did before starting to rebel against the Homeworld.

I also think they'll sprinkle in a bit of Doctor Who. She ended the war doing something so drastic that it not only killed most of her enemies, but most of her allies as well.

JC Sera

Pearl is totally Snape. Forced to take care of this kid that does nothing but remind her of what she's lost.
plz don't
but seriously Pearl is not an abusive asshole, doesn't hate greg with every fiber of her being, isn't a massive racist against the person she loved, doesn't terrify children for a living, creates technology just for splitting people down the middle as painfully as possible for sadistic revenge fantasies

Pearl is flawed, but is also not a completely fucking awful person with only one redeeming motivation.

PaulloDEC

I bet we'll learn darker stuff about Rose at some point a-la Dumbledore in HP.

With this show, I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh, that reminds me; did anyone else find this shot from the extended intro kinda odd?

Seemed like such a weird choice of image for Rose. Is it just me who finds it almost sinister? She's super large on screen, her eyes are hidden, the wide grin, the way she's almost holding Steven in her hands... I doubt it means anything, but yeah.

ZdkDzk

Is the extended opening ever going to actually air, or is it safe to watch? I really want to watch it, but it seems like it's filled with spoilers.

Puruzi

Banned
Is the extended opening ever going to actually air, or is it safe to watch? I really want to watch it, but it seems like it's filled with spoilers.

There are no spoilers in it at all really. If you're up to date then you're fine.

I don't count a really slight head turn as a spoiler.

PaulloDEC

There's about 45 seconds of actual show (i.e. non-song stuff) at the start of the clip, but after that it's all music/singing. I think someone on the show said it was coming out officially sometime in the near future, but it seemed vague.

I wouldn't call it spoilery myself, but a big part of it does take place prior to the start of the series, so if you're worried about getting some general info on events before the start of the show, that'd be a concern. There's also a small glimpse at a new character, but again, not really very spoilery IMO.

If you want to watch it, this should take you to the start of the actual song part.

Lijik

But it makes their actions feel forced and is bad writing, in a show that is known for excellent writing and thinking of all the little details. This episode really bummed me out about the show.

Im pretty sure if you cataloged all of their powers (especially all of the stuff Garnet can do), theres absolutely no reason why they shouldnt win everything all the time with no effort and there was literally just an episode about why thats bad writing.

Im pretty sure if you cataloged all of their powers (especially all of the stuff Garnet can do), theres absolutely no reason why they shouldnt win everything all the time with no effort and there was literally just an episode about why thats bad writing.

Well then, design their powers better or give better reasons to why they shouldn't use them (spider man running out of web juice, green lantern losing his ring, etc.). Just going, 'ok they wont win this time' without having any legitimate reason besides delaying plot advancement isn't good writing and makes it feel super forced.

The crystal gems have powers designed for more comedic situations where it's ok for them to do literally whatever for a visual gag. It just comes back to bite them in the more dramatic moments.

Opto

Banned
With this show, I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh, that reminds me; did anyone else find this shot from the extended intro kinda odd?

Seemed like such a weird choice of image for Rose. Is it just me who finds it almost sinister? She's super large on screen, her eyes are hidden, the wide grin, the way she's almost holding Steven in her hands... I doubt it means anything, but yeah.

I can't think of an example in anime where anyone had this same expression without being somewhat nefarious.

Or it could be a way to not overexpose Rose, to keep her in a somewhat godlike state.

Also, I never saw the extended intro until, holy shit it's great. Hope we get an official release

Maximo

There's about 45 seconds of actual show (i.e. non-song stuff) at the start of the clip, but after that it's all music/singing. I think someone on the show said it was coming out officially sometime in the near future, but it seemed vague.

I wouldn't call it spoilery myself, but a big part of it does take place prior to the start of the series, so if you're worried about getting some general info on events before the start of the show, that'd be a concern. There's also a small glimpse at a new character, but again, not really very spoilery IMO.

If you want to watch it, this should take you to the start of the actual song part.

Holy shit first time seeing the extended version, WOW!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks good, careful with the line work tho.

Who is that at 2:40???

Just watched the arc and was kind of let down by it.
The conflict between Pearl and Garnet was undercooked and came off forced as a result. It even soured Ruby and Sapphire's second appearance. I get that Garnet has this complex about fusions but the dramatic foundation hasn't really been laid.

Just watched the arc and was kind of let down by it.
The conflict between Pearl and Garnet was too forced. Even soured seeing Ruby and Sapphire again.

I thought the conflict fit what we know about the characters well, particularly with how we know Pearl feels about Rose. That said, looking back, there should have been an episode soon before "Cry for Help" specifically depicting Pearl feeling inadequate, to explain why her issues would suddenly flare up again. Maybe if "Rose's Scabbard" aired later, right before that episode, it would have worked better; though that would require some changes in other episodes.

PaulloDEC

I can't think of an example in anime where anyone had this same expression without being somewhat nefarious.

Or it could be a way to not overexpose Rose, to keep her in a somewhat godlike state.

Also, I never saw the extended intro until, holy shit it's great. Hope we get an official release

Glad it isn't just me!

And yeah, I've already watched the extended opening way too many times. That moment where the music goes silent as
Yellow Diamond
turns around? So good.

I have to wonder why Greg says "believe in" in the extended version but not the TV edit.

I'm guessing it's just something they just didn't think to do until later. As a huge fan of Greg, I really want them to roll that little change into the official titles.

I thought the conflict fit what we know about the characters well, particularly with how we know Pearl feels about Rose. That said, looking back, there should have been an episode soon before "Cry for Help" specifically depicting Pearl feeling inadequate, to explain why her issues would suddenly flair up again. Maybe if "Rose's Scabbard" aired later, right before that episode, it would have worked better; though that would require some changes in other episodes.
Yeah, I get Pearl's actions but it doesn't function all that well on a dramatic level.

Garnet acknowledged that she has weaknesses but I want to see it taken further.

On another note, the climax of "Keystone Motel" was so not earned.
The way it being analogous to a child watching their parents fight was really cheap.

I feel really soured on the show for the moment. :\ It has its good qualities and the queer elements are very much appreciated, but the writing is lacking at times. I don't know how much of it is the creative team's abilities and how much is the network and the format of the show.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I have to wonder why Greg says "believe in" in the extended version but not the TV edit.

Frieza errr....Yellow Diamond
Shit. :O
I couldn't imagine what she looked like. Now I know.

I assumed the extended opening would be airing during this week. I need a direct feed version of it, I've watched it like twenty times already!
Lil' Steven
is the most adorable thing in the universe.

Did I miss something about the renewal announcement?

3 seasons was confirmed as the total number of seasons?

I was referring to this post. I assumed the image was made by the crewniverse, but if it's not, I'm happy as a clam. :)

lol ya'll are too much.

Maybe you're just too little!

Lijik

Well then, design their powers better or give better reasons to why they shouldn't use them (spider man running out of web juice, green lantern losing his ring, etc.). Just going, 'ok they wont win this time' without having any legitimate reason besides delaying plot advancement isn't good writing and makes it feel super forced.

I dunno I just feel like if this is the fight you feel is arbitrary, then literally every fight in the show is arbitrary. Theres no reason Garnet shouldnt be using her snake arm power from mystery team to boa constrict every foe or using her rocket fists on Jasper instead of more conventional fighting moves for example.

I dunno I just feel like if this is the fight you feel is arbitrary, then literally every fight in the show is arbitrary. Theres no reason Garnet shouldnt be using her snake arm power from mystery team to boa constrict every foe or using her rocket fists on Jasper instead of more conventional fighting moves for example.

Snake arm doesn't seem that strong to constrict stronger foes (and in any case why do that when you can KO them with a punch), and her rocket fists are very slow and would almost certainly have missed a fast opponent such as Jasper, leaving her open. It's not nearly the same, those were choices of one approach over another, but here they literally chose to do nothing over using the abilities that could have shot Peridot out of the sky.

Psxphile

Did I miss something about the renewal announcement?
The show was only recently confirmed (for the 2nd time, and in an official capacity) to have a 3rd season in the works. It'd be a while yet before we hear CN confirm any more seasons.

This is nice. I like the colors, and the random appendages flitting about.

I am a little disappointed there are no one legged Peridot pics on Tumblr yet.

I need me some peg legged Piratedot.

Arrrrrr...why you be breaking all my things?
I've seen a few. But I can't find any at the moment because the tag is completely saturated with Invader Zim parodies at the mo.

Coincidentally, Peridot's wikia page is on point.

Did this thread just become a Harry Potter x Steven Universe fan fiction?
Hiatus is a hell of a drug.

I've seen a few people remark they can hear Connie sing along just before that part, too.

I assumed the extended opening would be airing during this week. I need a direct feed version of it, I've watched it like twenty times already!
Lil' Steven
is the most adorable thing in the universe.
Word. Really does seem like that intro was intended for a special event and/or episode, though. But it'd probably be released digitally at some point.

Just caught up to this week's Steven Bomb. GADDAMN I said. I really enjoyed how they took (based on anecdotal evidence *cough* StevenGAF poll *cough*) the 2 most well-liked (I know Pearl got some haters out there, but y'all wack as hell) characters and introduced some more flawed aspects to them both. Also building up
Vidalia and Jamie
(just in general the more "minor" characters) was also awesome to see.

Final note: Peridot is a fucking Mega Man villain.
Friend Ship cemented that thought in my head. Her arm-cannon and the "stage hazards" (the spikes and lasers) she activated made me come to that conclusion.

Just caught up to this week's Steven Bomb. GADDAMN I said. I really enjoyed how they took (based on anecdotal evidence *cough* StevenGAF poll *cough*) the 2 most well-liked (I know Pearl got some haters out there, but y'all wack as hell) characters and introduced some more flawed aspects to them both.

Not only that, they took the comparatively "least popular" gem, Amethyst, and gave her some really sympathetic moments to prop her up. Particularly in Cry for Help, her remorse and regret, and then sympathy and zero resent towards Pearl were really endearing to see.

Final note: Peridot is a fucking Mega Man villain.
Friend Ship cemented that thought in my head. Her arm-cannon and the "stage hazards" (the spikes and lasers) she activated made me come to that conclusion.

Haha, yup. She just needed a collapsing door before they encountered her.

NEO0MJ

Finally got myself to watch this show and I'm so glad I did. I put off watching it for so long because the start was kinda slow and Steven was so annoying but that quickly changed and I actually really like the kid now.

Yeah, they announced the renewal for a third season, nothing more than that. If RS and company want more seasons, I'm sure they'll get them from Cartoon Network. The shows is really building mindshare and is one of their top shows; it would take a catastrophic ratings collapse or behind the scenes personal disaster for CN to lose interest.

I wouldn't worry, we're going to get the whole story. It all depends on RS's plan as to how long that's going to take.

I hope they keep it short, especially considering how long seasons are. I don't want this to end up like Adventure Time, which overstayed its welcome.

Can I just say real quick that I'm actually hope that we don't see a redemption arc for either Peridot or Jasper? I'm kinda burnt out on villain redemption arcs in general, and, considering how grounded SU is about things like not always getting what you want, accepting your limitations and the like I just feel like it would be a little more in character for the show if they went with the angle of "no matter what you do, you aren't going to be able to bring everyone over to your side and your way of thinking" instead of the usual "the power of love/friendship can turn anyone."

I hope they keep it short, especially considering how long seasons are. I don't want this to end up like Adventure Time, which overstayed its welcome.

I'll second this sentiment. I know that when we get something this good we all want to have it go on forever, but, personally, I think I'd rather Sugar and crew end the show when they feel it's at it's logical end rather than keep it going for as long as it's profitable and watch it suffer it's inevitable decline in quality. With how arc/plot driven SU is, I'd imagine their only options to keep it going that long would be to either continually delay the seemingly inevitable showdown with Homeworld/the Diamonds or to continually introduce new threat after new threat shonen anime style, and I don't think either option would be best for the show. Unfortunately, CN owns the IP, so even if Sugar & co. decide they're done with the show, CN could just continue the show without them if they feel it would be worth it, like they did for Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo in the past.

Can I just say real quick that I'm actually hope that we don't see a redemption arc for either Peridot or Jasper? I'm kinda burnt out on villain redemption arcs in general, and, considering how grounded SU is about things like not always getting what you want, accepting your limitations and the like I just feel like it would be a little more in character for the show if they went with the angle of "no matter what you do, you aren't going to be able to bring everyone over to your side and your way of thinking" instead of the usual "the power of love/friendship can turn anyone."

I agree with this, not only for the reasons you mentioned but also for power creep reasons I talked about a few times before.

I'll second this sentiment. I know that when we get something this good we all want to have it go on forever, but, personally, I think I'd rather Sugar and crew end the show when they feel it's at it's logical end rather than keep it going for as long as it's profitable and watch it suffer it's inevitable decline in quality. With how arc/plot driven SU is, I'd imagine their only options to keep it going that long would be to either continually delay the seemingly inevitable showdown with Homeworld/the Diamonds or to continually introduce new threat after new threat shonen anime style, and I don't think either option would be best for the show. Unfortunately, CN owns the IP, so even if Sugar & co. decide they're done with the show, CN could just continue the show without them if they feel it would be worth it, like they did for Dexter's Laboratory and Johnny Bravo in the past.

I for one (and I know I'm probably alone in this) think SU could potentially go on for a very, very long time. It works really well even as a slice of life show, and the crew have shown amazing skill at showing characters at different ages, so I would be perfectly fine with the show following Steven growing up, getting married with Connie, even having kids of their own, and so on. Almost 100% not what the crew are intending to do, just saying I'd watch the hell out of that. The only downside is that with the gems not growing old, their characters would grow stale.

I can see that, and I think that there will definitely be some antagonist that will just not give up, but I'm thinking that will be further down the line. So far the only case we sorta have of redemption is Lapis liking Steven and protecting him, but she was never presented as a true antagonist on the levels of the others. So I imagine that there will be some instance of redemption working before it's shown as not working. Plus, a lot of the show is about how people are flawed and helping them through their flaws, so having some villain redemption seems like a natural evolution from that.

Peridot especially I think will become an ally at some point. Just the way she's presented, she seems like just a minion that has no idea what's going on behind the scenes. How they've taken time to show Steven being nice to her on several occasions also makes me lean towards this.

I don't know if Jasper will be redeemed, because she's been shown so far as just a straight-up villain, but there's definitely going to be a lot of possibilities in how to explore her and Lapis after they unfuse from Malachite. Seeing that the whole show is from Steven's perspective, they might have some scenario in which they have to work together to explore that.

I think that redeeming some of the antagonists is a good idea. Adding new gems is a good way to shake things up, giving the characters and relationships new subjects to focus on, and allowing the exploration of new characters. Given that the characters and relationships are what most of the show focuses on, I think they'll want to add new perspectives and dynamics to the mix to explore.

rexor0717

Between Peridot escaping yet again and Garnet and Pearl's method of resolution, this bomb was a bit disappointing as a whole. Each episode individually was good to great, but the arc being resolved by just explaining one's feeling to each other just wasn't satisfying in the way that previous conflicts had been. And even in its disappointing form, I still liked the bomb, it didn't live up to the high expectations the show has delivered on so far. But for real tho, they need to resolve this phase of Peridot's character sooner than later because its wearing very thin.

Thinking about it last night, I think they really need to drop having the narrative be locked to where Steven is. You can't really say the show is his perspective because it is not subjective enough. So what's the point? It's getting detrimental to everyone but Steven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom