• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Ha, all these little lines that build characters.
I say it's still not definite. This sounds like something a nerd would read up. I mean, 999 made me read Rupert Sheldrakes book about Morphic Resonance.

simpsons-nerd.gif

Saw the pilot when it first released and hated Stephen. After catching a few eps when nothing else was on I like it:(

I'm tired of being wrong about cartoons...

PSqueak

Banned
I also appreciated the nigh-confirmation
at Pearl being a mass-produced Gem.

Well, doesn't
Kindergarten
confirms that all gems are? Im assuming, not counting fusions, that they all are until canon shows otherwise. Jasper seemed to imply so with what she called Amethyst, Pearl and Garnet.

Chariot

Well, doesn't
Kindergarten
confirms that all gems are? Im assuming, not counting fusions, that they all are until canon shows otherwise. Jasper seemed to imply so with what she called Amethyst, Pearl and Garnet.
Why are we spoilering?
Kindergarten just proved what the Gems did on Earth. It could be a special form or even an experiment like the living armor of broken gems. We still don't know how Homeworld was or is.

PSqueak

Banned
Why are we spoilering?
Kindergarten just proved what the Gems did on Earth. It could be a special form or even an experiment like the living armor of broken gems. We still don't know how Homeworld was or is.

I personally spoilered politely because the quote i used was spoilered.

Anyways, Amethyst was mass produced in Kindergarten as per the hundreds of Amethyst shaped holes in Kindergarten, she even states that she was born in that hole.

And like i was saying, Jasper spoke to both Pearl and Amethyst as if they were "one of many" ("a defective pearl", "an undercooked runt"), while she called Garnet "a thing", we found out thru extended intro that apparently the homeworld frowns upon the idea of fusions living as their own gems (Garnet says that earth is the place where she is free to exist as she is), to gemkind, fusion is a tool (and this is not only going by what jasper said, this is also judging from Amethyt's and Pearl's behavior) thus we can assume that "one of many" is the gem default, while a "unique individual" such as Garnet (a fusion being a person) is the odd one.

Thus, We can assume all Gems are mass produced.

rexor0717

It could be that since the blend of personalities affects the fusion, its a way of mass produced gems to gain some individuality. All Opals might not be the same due to the synchronicity of their fusion.

the WHAT now

Super late with this reply (lol), but yeah that's one of the most popular fannon concepts within the fandom.
I guess it arose from the fact that Peridot had very little character when we first saw her, she was basically a "blank slate" in comparison to characters like Steven/Garnet/Pearl/maybe even Lapis/etc.; all we really knew about her was that she was techno-savvy and easily flustered by people breaking her tech, people extrapolated from that and those traits mutated into what is essentially a cute but dorky aloof dorito eating (I'm still laughing at the fact that people really ran with the whole "her hair looks like a dorito" meme) robot waifu who's bit standoffish.

Interestingly enough I don't remember this happening with Jasper (she's probably not as popular, I guess...but I still see a lot of fan content featuring her), most people portray Jasper pretty close to cannon and many people (including myself) enjoy that.
I think it just goes to show how much character Jasper had in her first appearance in comparison to Peridot.

Opto

Banned
I

I think certain gems are mass-produced, while others are more common. Amethyst was artificially created, while Pearl may be a more natural occurring (whatever that means) Gem, and because of their commonality, were regulated to a worker class status. The big four are probably one of a kind gems that occurred "naturally"

Any indication of when the next new episode will drop?

As much as I like the narrative flow of the Stevenbombs, it's tough to go so long between new episodes! I think it's best suited to finales--the weeklong drops of the most recent seasons of Steven Universe and Adventure Time were fantastic.

Interestingly enough I don't remember this happening with Jasper (she's probably not as popular, I guess...but I still see a lot of fan content featuring her), most people portray Jasper pretty close to cannon and many people (including myself) enjoy that.
I think it just goes to show how much character Jasper had in her first appearance in comparison to Peridot.

Well, Jasper's first appearance has also pretty much been her last (five seconds of Chille Tid excluded), so the series hasn't had any chance to prove or disprove what fans think of her. She seems to be a pretty straightforward Proud Warrior Race Guy... er, gal.

And like i was saying, Jasper spoke to both Pearl and Amethyst as if they were "one of many" ("a defective pearl", "an undercooked runt"), while she called Garnet "a thing", we found out thru extended intro that apparently the homeworld frowns upon the idea of fusions living as their own gems (Garnet says that earth is the place where she is free to exist as she is), to gemkind, fusion is a tool (and this is not only going by what jasper said, this is also judging from Amethyt's and Pearl's behavior) thus we can assume that "one of many" is the gem default, while a "unique individual" such as Garnet (a fusion being a person) is the odd one.

That's a bit of a jump. We don't know how similar pearls are to each other, and even if they were identical that doesn't mean they must be artificially produced. Ants in a colony for example are genetically identical but born naturally from eggs individually hatched.

Not saying that all gems being artificially produced is not a distinct possibility, though. If that was the case, there are two distinct possibilities: either they evolved naturally and switched to artificial reproduction at one point (meaning there exists, or has existed, a method of "natural" reproduction for them anyway), or they've always been artificially made, which would beg the question of who exactly made the first ones. Another sentient species?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Super late with this reply (lol), but yeah that's one of the most popular fannon concepts within the fandom.
I guess it arose from the fact that Peridot had very little character when we first saw her, she was basically a "blank slate" in comparison to characters like Steven/Garnet/Pearl/maybe even Lapis/etc.; all we really knew about her was that she was techno-savvy and easily flustered by people breaking her tech, people extrapolated from that and those traits mutated into what is essentially a cute but dorky aloof dorito eating (I'm still laughing at the fact that people really ran with the whole "her hair looks like a dorito" meme) robot waifu who's bit standoffish.

I wasn't sure if it was a one off thing with the writers in Keeping it Together (KIT, Keep it Together, KIT) but with Friend Ship I think its now safe to say that the change we're seeing in Peridot away from being as robotic and towards having more personality is deliberate

vypek

Saw the pilot when it first released and hated Stephen. After catching a few eps when nothing else was on I like it:(

I'm tired of being wrong about cartoons...

+1 for hating Steven at the start as well. Definitely was the worst character to me for a while but he improved a lot.

I had to power through and watch a couple more episodes as they were coming on each week and it turned out well.

To be clear, when said I hated Steven in the pilot, I mean the one-off pilot released a year or so before the start of the series (seen in the episode guide in the OP). I was actually fine with him in the actual series from the start.

vypek

To be clear, when said I hated Steven in the pilot, I mean the one-off pilot released a year or so before the start of the series (seen in the episode guide in the OP). I was actually fine with him in the actual series from the start.

It took me multiple episodes to like him.

NEO0MJ

Why are we spoilering?

Personally I think it's kinda like Transformers. The way I see it is that on their homeworld gems form naturally like they do on Earth, except that they're naturally infused with a spark or whatever it is that brings them life, and as they move closer to the surface awaken from their slumber and dig themselves out of their hole. Eventually the gems figured out how perform this operation artificially and were able to mass produce gems.

PSqueak

Banned
That's a bit of a jump. We don't know how similar pearls are to each other, and even if they were identical that doesn't mean they must be artificially produced. Ants in a colony for example are genetically identical but born naturally from eggs individually hatched.

Not saying that all gems being artificially produced is not a distinct possibility, though. If that was the case, there are two distinct possibilities: either they evolved naturally and switched to artificial reproduction at one point (meaning there exists, or has existed, a method of "natural" reproduction for them anyway), or they've always been artificially made, which would beg the question of who exactly made the first ones. Another sentient species?

This is my personbal theory so far. [WARNING! Fan theory bullshit ahead!]

Gems are agender rocks that can be "made", why do their physical construct bodies look like biological female humanoid beings? Because they probably were made by a precursor species to help with tasks (prolly planet conquest, colonization and war) and they were made to the image of their precursor race (humanoids under the theory of convergent evolution, probably at one point the precursor race lived at a planet with earth like conditions), but they likely outlived their makers, over millenia just got used to the tradition of making physical forms humaniod, having completely forgotten who made them, they just continued their tasks (expanding, conquering, colonizing, harvesting) and made their autonomous society to keep going.

the biggest downside of steven bombs is that there might not be a theme to them, or the week as a whole may be largely disappointing with like 1/2 standout episodes that would have done better by themselves on a weekly basis.

Raxus

the biggest downside of steven bombs is that there might not be a theme to them, or the week as a whole may be largely disappointing with like 1/2 standout episodes that would have done better by themselves on a weekly basis.

Steven Bombs 1 and 3 were effective for very separate reasons. 1 really drew people into the show and 3 was the first to follow a major arc in the show. 2, while excellent, just was various episodes together after a hiatus.

There are up and downsides to airing bundles of episodes in a series back to back. I think plot episodes work great in the format but the more stand alone character development episodes like Historical Friction and Crashing Seas/Falling Skies get some unnecessary flak. Some episodes just work better in a week to week basis like Love Letters.

Raxus

Was anyone else annoyed that it was called the week of Sardonyx and she only showed up twice?

Not at all in the least. The week dealt with the fallout of Sardonyx formation and was bookended by her return. Narratively it made perfect sense.

PSqueak

Banned
Was anyone else annoyed that this Steven Bomb was called the Week of Sardonyx and she only showed up twice?

Well, like i predicted in this very thread, she appeared to close the arc that was kick started by her first appearance.

It was the Week of Sardonyx because the plot of this short arc was kickstarted by Sardonyx.

jwk94

Was anyone else annoyed that this Steven Bomb was called the Week of Sardonyx and she only showed up twice?

I think it was more about the fallout post-Sardonyx than it was Sardonyx herself, but I understand why you're bothered. I was bothered by how they talked about Pearl finally being at her lowest when we didn't really get to see that much of her. I felt they hit that point when she was clutching her stomach during Sugilite's appearance, but otherwise it was just Pearl being quiet or getting ignored by Garnet.

PSqueak

Banned
I think it was more about the fallout post-Sardonyx than it was Sardonyx herself, but I understand why you're bothered. I was bothered by how they talked about Pearl finally being at her lowest when we didn't really get to see that much of her. I felt they hit that point when she was clutching her stomach during Sugilite's appearance, but otherwise it was just Pearl being quiet or getting ignored by Garnet.

Historical Friction was all about Pearl, it was made obvious in the final episode, Steven told her about not having to be perfect about everything (talking about dewey) and Pearl more or less got the message ("when did you get so smart?") but in the end only really accepted it when she heard it from Garnet.

Puruzi

Banned
Historical Friction was all about Pearl, it was made obvious in the final episode, Steven told her about not having to be perfect about everything (talking about dewey) and Pearl more or less got the message ("when did you get so smart?") but in the end only really accepted it when she heard it from Garnet.

That scene was like, one minute. Pearl was the only gem in it, but that doesn't make the episode all about her at all.

Raxus

That scene was like, one minute. Pearl was the only gem in it, but that doesn't make the episode all about her at all.

The message of the episode was almost entirely directed at her and we still get to see her positive qualities in the episode as well (Hey Steven, you're so talented!).

Pearl is a perfectionist and admitting she has flaws helped paved the way to admitting to Garnet her insecurities of Jasper's burn way back in The Return about her being a 'defective Pearl'.

That is how I see things anyway.

Zubz

Banned
Well, doesn't
Kindergarten

Yeah, but I was referring to
her being "a Pearl" in particular. Up until now, it had at least been safe to assume that each gem was its own kind of Gem. So, although the Kindergarten may make several thousand gems, each one would be an individual. This line basically confirmed the previously-only-implied "Pearls are their own class of gem, and that our Pearl is one of the only ones to do more than serve a stronger gem."
(I'm assuming we're still spoiling Week of Sardonyx stuff, right?)

Incidentally, now I'm wondering... are all Gems just clones? Like, maybe there was once only one Pearl, or only one Amethyst, but the machines in the Kindergarten use minerals to create copies of these Gems?

It's more about her having that epiphany, though. The episode mostly looks at the play, but although the story is mostly driven by Jamie and Steven, it's Pearl who has the biggest revelation. It wasn't only a Pearl episode, but it was definitely a part of her arc this week.

And eh. When I first saw the show in commercials and the like, I just expected Steven to be annoying and rely on "lolrandom" humor. After 2 or so episodes, I realized there was more to the character than that (And that all the "lolrandom" stuff actually made sense in context), so I never really disliked him, even if I thought the gems themselves were more interesting during those slow, early episodes.

Sou Da

I genuinely hate the 11 minute weekly episode format that CN has. Being old enough to remember the 22 minute standard doesn't help.

Zubz

Banned
I genuinely hate the 11 minute weekly episode format that CN has. Being old enough to remember the 22 minute standard doesn't help.

Yeah, but it was usually 2 11-minute episodes or 3 7-minute episodes. I'm fine with each episode getting its time to shine, and the 11-minute length is perfect for the show as it is now. Granted, half-hour episodes were a must for Ocean Gem/Jailbreak, but outside of big episodes, I'm fine with 11 minutes.

And I was just spoiler tagging because I was assuming we're trying to play it cool with the Week of Sardonyx stuff for a little bit longer. People may not have seen every episode yet after all. With Friendship not being up yet on Amazon, that's definitely one I wanted to avoid posting spoilers for.

I'm not spoiler tagging anything that isn't new/recently aired information. Sorry to people who aren't caught up but I don't wanna be clicking through spoilers for regular discussion and the show is fast enough to catch up to.

Psxphile

If someone is new to the show, it wouldn't be in their best interest to jump to the end of an discussion OT when there's newbie-friendly information right there in the OP's post. We have a grace period for new episodes (3 hours after U.S.east coast airing, allowing for those on the west coast to watch without fear of being spoiled).

Curious: what's the hard-fast rule on episode spoilers in anime threads? There has to a length of time everyone agrees on when it's okay to discuss an episode in depth without needing to tag. There's the initial airing to consider, whereas only those who speak understand japanese would be able to discuss the show, the time when the episode is subbed (which could be up to a full day from airing)... although sites like Cruncyroll have endeavored to get the episodes up within the hour (and not always succeeding). What a mess.

Anyhoo: the very first somewhat-vague hint that there could be more than one Gem of any type was during Rebecca's Reddit AMA: when asked what kind of Gem would best represent her, she answered with "I would be a Ruby" (emphasis mine) to which some people speculated it could mean there would more than one in Gem society. They wouldn't necessary be all clones of each other: rather, their gems would dictate their place in Gem hierarchy (someone's no doubt considered this already in this thread) and perhaps their ability sets. This makes sense, since the show staff have been asked repeatedly about duplicate Gemsonas and those fans have been assured there's nothing wrong with multiple OC characters bearing the same name/Gem.

I also don't believe that the Kindergarten mass-produces gems of the same type, but a variety of different types based on other unknown factors (I believe this is what they call a 'head-canon').

Puruzi

Banned
Curious: what's the hard-fast rule on episode spoilers in anime threads? There has to a length of time everyone agrees on when it's okay to discuss an episode in depth without needing to tag. There's the initial airing to consider, whereas only those who speak understand japanese would be able to discuss the show, the time when the episode is subbed (which could be up to a full day from airing)... although sites like Cruncyroll have endeavored to get the episodes up within the hour (and not always succeeding). What a mess.

Actually, alot of posters in Animegaf post impressions of episodes with spoiler tagging anything, but most posters there(myself included) don't really seem to care about spoilers like that.

Older shows are more likely to be tagged than anything airing right now.

Spoiler rules vary, but the most common is for there to be open season after the West Coast airing for US shows. My MLP thread only requires spoiler bars before the episode in question airs. Rules for movies are typically that spoiler bars are required for a month, I believe. So even given the strictest spoiler rules, discussing season 1 behind spoiler bars is too much.

I say let's go with the West Coast airing rule.

Just to make my life easier if nothing else, let's give it something like 48 hours for anything significant. Tags certainly aren't necessary for long and absolutely anything that's available on, say, Hulu definitely doesn't require 'em.

Psxphile

tumblr_nqtovi2Paz1s4493xo1_1280.jpg

oh god, read it in his voice

Just to make my life easier if nothing else, let's give it something like 48 hours for anything significant. Tags certainly aren't necessary for long and absolutely anything that's available on, say, Hulu definitely doesn't require 'em.

Speaking of which, I can't believe they still only have the first 35 episodes on there (oddly enough, they dropped Alone Together and added Garnet's Universe since the last time I checked). There's literally no excuse for not having every season 1 episode up by now.

I need to confirm something about The Return now that CN.com doesn't have it on their stream line-up.

Unbounded

Considering there's only so many gems that actually exist, (hell, there's only so many minerals in the first place), in order to actually have a functioning gem society with numbers significant enough to traverse the universe and wage civil wars you absolutely must have a bunch of gems be mass-produced.

Hamlet

Qf5ZDx6.gif

Any indication of when the next new episode will drop?

As much as I like the narrative flow of the Stevenbombs, it's tough to go so long between new episodes! I think it's best suited to finales--the weeklong drops of the most recent seasons of Steven Universe and Adventure Time were fantastic.

They said at San Diego Comic-Con that it'll be returning at some point in August. Here are the titles and descriptions for the three episodes that will probably be airing in August. No idea if it'll be another stevenbomb or back to the usual one a week schedule though.
tumblr_nrkedvIhr81qdi5kdo1_540.png

KiN0

Considering there's only so many gems that actually exist, (hell, there's only so many minerals in the first place), in order to actually have a functioning gem society with numbers significant enough to traverse the universe and wage civil wars you absolutely must have a bunch of gems be mass-produced.

I hope there's an explanation for the lack of names if this is the case. Like, what happens when there are two pearls standing next to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom