• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

I hope there's an explanation for the lack of names if this is the case. Like, what happens when there are two pearls standing next to each other?

And with that, I've begun to realize that Steven Universe is one giant Dr. Who reference.

Chariot

And with that, I've begun to realize that Steven Universe is one giant Dr. Who reference.
Well, Pearl got a scarf and a hat once for no explained reason and we know there is time travel in the universe. It would be great if there was a reveal showing that Homeworld took so long to get back to earth because they're busy in a war against some Dalek equivalent.

Kenai

I didn't get the hype at first but Peridot has really been an enjoyable nemesis, especially in the most recent episodes. Some of her facial expressions and her "Ewww get your Steven things off me!" type stuff made me laugh out loud. Can't wait for more.

rexor0717

Well, Pearl got a scarf and a hat once for no explained reason and we know there is time travel in the universe. It would be great if there was a reveal showing that Homeworld took so long to get back to earth because they're busy in a war against some Dalek equivalent.
I always enjoy a third party in shows. One thing down the line that I think could be interesting, and I mean way down the line when we've been to space and back is if introduce another character that is a gem hybrid alien. I have no idea if they will show other worlds colonized by gems, but it could make for an interesting twist.

Fireblend

Banned
So happy to see so many of my friends getting into the show. I've seen this Polygon article shared like 6 times on my Facebook timeline already from people who're currently into the show or got curious about it after reading it and are now looking for ways to watch it. I had already managed to get my gf and some co-workers into it, but it seems like the show's popularity is skyrocketing.

This is my personbal theory so far. [WARNING! Fan theory bullshit ahead!]

Gems are agender rocks that can be "made", why do their physical construct bodies look like biological female humanoid beings? Because they probably were made by a precursor species to help with tasks (prolly planet conquest, colonization and war) and they were made to the image of their precursor race (humanoids under the theory of convergent evolution, probably at one point the precursor race lived at a planet with earth like conditions), but they likely outlived their makers, over millenia just got used to the tradition of making physical forms humaniod, having completely forgotten who made them, they just continued their tasks (expanding, conquering, colonizing, harvesting) and made their autonomous society to keep going.

Yep, it's a pretty common sci-fi trope, the most common variant being that "outliving their creators" comes from them having enough of being cheap labor (not to mince words: slaves) and going full cylon/geth/Skynet/matrix on their creators. Considering how ruthless Homeworld civilization is and that they're inorganic like most of the examples, I'd say it fits the trope to a tee.

Considering there's only so many gems that actually exist, (hell, there's only so many minerals in the first place), in order to actually have a functioning gem society with numbers significant enough to traverse the universe and wage civil wars you absolutely must have a bunch of gems be mass-produced.

That makes about as much sense as saying that since there are only so many eye/hair/skin colors in humans, we must be mass-produced. Again, we don't even know if two pearls look alike, much like two real-life pearls can look very different.

Tangentially, "our" Pearl's gem is an elongated variant that is more commonly occurring than spherical pearls. Perhaps that's why she is thin and tall? If we get to know another pearl that has a spherical gem, would she be more rotund? :)

So happy to see so many of my friends getting into the show. I've seen this Polygon article shared like 6 times on my Facebook timeline already from people who're currently into the show or got curious about it after reading it and are now looking for ways to watch it. I had already managed to get my gf and some co-workers into it, but it seems like the show's popularity is skyrocketing.

It's awesome how this article was posted right before one of the best examples of "fusion as a metaphor for relationships", i.e. Sardonyx's arc; one person deceiving another to become closer to them out of sheer loneliness. It was kind of heartbreaking at the end when we learn that Pearl deceived Garnet not so much to feel strong, but to feel being part of a loving relationship.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand its great to have new fans, on the other it could be the 'Jena tower' effect and there could eventually be a backlash against the show and its fans similar to what happened with my little pony

Unbounded

That makes about as much sense as saying that since there are only so many eye/hair/skin colors in humans, we must be mass-produced. Again, we don't even know if two pearls look alike, much like two real-life pearls can look very different.

No, not really. I'm saying that there's literally only a few hundred types of gemstones out there. (I think there's about four thousand known minerals in total or so.) For a gem society to exist, you absolutely must have had at least one gem "produced en masse". This could mean multiple Pearls, Rubies, Sapphires, or what have you. The character itself is the gem, not the physical form. The physical form itself could look very different possibly, but that's not even remotely what I'm arguing.

When I say "mass-produced" I don't mean that they're identical copies. I mean that they're the same gem. unless they find a way to have a functioning society with less than a few hundred then you have to have multiple copies of at least one gem.

"Produced" is probably the best word to describe the birth of any sort of gem.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand its great to have new fans, on the other it could be the 'Jena tower' effect and there could eventually be a backlash against the show and its fans similar to what happened with my little pony

I don't think bronies and gemsies (?) are on the same wavelength. I wouldn't worry about it.

No, not really. I'm saying that there's literally only a few hundred types of gemstones out there. (I think there's about four thousand known minerals in total or so.) For a gem society to exist, you absolutely must have had at least one gem "produced en masse". This could mean multiple Pearls, Rubies, Sapphires, or what have you. The character itself is the gem, not the physical form. The physical form itself could look very different possibly, but that's not even remotely what I'm arguing.

When I say "mass-produced" I don't mean that they're identical copies. I mean that they're the same gem. unless they find a way to have a functioning society with less than a few hundred then you have to have multiple copies of at least one gem.

"Produced" is probably the best word to describe the birth of any sort of gem.

I don't understand what that all (which I got the first time) has anything to do with what I'm saying. For all we know "pearl" is a denomination equivalent to "white blonde male". The fact that multiple (millions, even) pearls exist doesn't necessarily mean they must be mass produced. Consider that Earth's actual pearls are, in fact, not artificially produced.

Nah, they're not on the same wave length, that is true, SU fans are horrible in an entirely different way, but still horrible.

Gumball fans are the absolute worst though.
;)

KiN0

I'd say the fandom is getting to that point with the antics is pulls from time to time.

Dare I ask what "Jena Tower" is?

The Steven Universe fandom is different from the MLP fandom in the following ways:
* The idea of SU having adult fans doesn't cause the same visceral negative reaction that it does for MLP, so there isn't and won't be the same strong blowback.
* The existence of the MLP fandom more or less developed the idea of how online fandoms for cartoons work such that both the SU fandom and the creators had a strong basis to work off of. For instance, SU had tumblr blogs and frequent interactions with the creators from the start.
* The MLP fandom development had some problems that the SU fandom had been making sure to avoid, although at the expense of treating the former as a boogeyman (see the successful attempt to stop Beach City Bugle from starting up the first time). It seems like female fans have made their presence in the SU fandom strong from the start in reaction to the fact that men more or less stole a girls property from them with MLP. I also don't expect that we'll see any large meet-ups just for SU, for instance, due to the perception of tackiness from the MLP meet-ups and the high-profile mess-ups like that one convention in Las Vegas whose name I'm forgetting.
* While MLP had to start out on 4chan and other message boards by necessity, SU exists in a world where tumblr and reddit are more popular alternatives. This may just be my imagination, but it seems like SU has a stronger female fan presence due to the platforms where the fandom started.

That said, all fandoms develop their own strong negative quirks. Gravity Falls has the proliferation of twincest (Dipper X Mabel), and Steven Universe's thing appears to be having bad aim when choosing targets for social justice swarms.

Dare I ask what "Jena Tower" is?

The Steven Universe fandom is different from the MLP fandom in the following ways:
* The idea of SU having adult fans doesn't cause the same visceral negative reaction that it does for MLP, so there isn't and won't be the same strong blowback.
* The existence of the MLP fandom more or less developed the idea of how online fandoms for cartoons work such that both the SU fandom and the creators had a strong basis to work off of. For instance, SU had tumblr blogs and frequent interactions with the creators from the start.
* The MLP fandom development had some problems that the SU fandom had been making sure to avoid, although at the expense of treating the former as a boogeyman (see the successful attempt to stop Beach City Bugle from starting up the first time). It seems like female fans have made their presence in the SU fandom strong from the start in reaction to the fact that men more or less stole a girls property from them with MLP. I also don't expect that we'll see any large meet-ups just for SU, for instance, due to the perception of tackiness from the MLP meet-ups and the high-profile mess-ups like that one convention in Las Vegas whose name I'm forgetting.
* While MLP had to start out on 4chan and other message boards by necessity, SU exists in a world where tumblr and reddit are more popular alternatives. This may just be my imagination, but it seems like SU has a stronger female fan presence due to the platforms where the fandom started.

That said, all fandoms develop their own strong negative quirks. Gravity Falls has the proliferation of twincest (Dipper X Mabel), and Steven Universe's thing appears to be having bad aim when choosing targets for social justice swarms.

I meant Jenga, autocorrect is more harm than good lol. I just need to disable it.

Unbounded

I don't understand what that all (which I got the first time) has anything to do with what I'm saying. For all we know "pearl" is a denomination equivalent to "white blonde male". The fact that multiple (millions, even) pearls exist doesn't necessarily mean they must be mass produced. Consider that Earth's actual pearls are, in fact, not artificially produced.

'Mass produced' doesn't necessarily mean 'artificially produced'.

It just means that there were a massive amount of them being produced. How they can be produced can be through whatever means is efficient, be it naturally forming in a planet or on an assembly line, but that still makes them mass-produced.

For what it's worth, I was just at a Pony convention last weekend, and there was a a fair bit of Steven Universe stuff around. The SU meetup had a number of people there, and there was even this cosplayer:

7WXZR9C.jpg

Steven has to be one of the easiest characters to cosplay as ever.

Yeah, but he had the outfit right, he had the ukulele, the Tiger Millionaire mask, the Cheeseburger Backpack, and he had a stomach gem, but he said it didn't want to stay in, unfortunately.

Speaking of mass produced Pearls! (which I am so eager to see the show address in full)
I explored that idea with this fan art:

I made the "perfect (round) pearls" sort of Ruby and Sapphire-like in stature due to the fact that Pearl implied she wasn't built for fighting and implication that smaller gems are weaker than big gems like Jasper and Rose.
Also, I heard ovoid pearls were the least valuable pearls from fan theories and linked that with Jasper's "...lost defective pearl..." line.

Speaking of mass produced Pearls! (which I am so eager to see the show address in full)

I made the "perfect (round) pearls" sort of Ruby and Sapphire-like in stature due to the fact that Pearl implied she wasn't built for fighting and implication that smaller gems are weaker than big gems like Jasper and Rose.
Also, I heard ovoid pearls were the least valuable pearls from fan theories and linked that with Jasper's "...lost defective pearl..." line.

Pearl is Black Widow confirmed.

Zubz

Banned
yo. take a look at this Peridot Theory.

I like that theory, too! Honestly, something's up if she has to detach her foot and she apparently can't regenerate it. Plus, her limbs really do look like their attached, rather than being a part of her body! I'm sure this'll be explored in the future, but until then, I think I'm gonna stick with this one.

Steven has to be one of the easiest characters to cosplay as ever.

He really is. I mean, there was a decent number of Stevens at SDCC! Though I think every gem, fusion, and Greg had at least one person cosplaying them, so maybe it was just due to the show's popularity, coupled with the fact that it had a panel.

Oh wow, I really like this idea! I mean, it makes sense, and would definitely give our Pearl an interesting backstory when we get to stories involving the Homeworld. The art's adorable, by the way!

Hamlet

I don't know if this has been answered or not, but is there any jewelry in this universe?

I don't think we've seen any humans wear any gem jewelry of any sort yet apart from a Pearl necklace in Little Butler though i'm not sure if that counts. There was a Jewelry store in the background during Lion 2 also.

That's a really interesting theory, and awesome fan art!

rexor0717

Well I'm glad to hear that the extended intro won't be in the show. I've been holding off watching it a second time because it was so good and didn't want to ruin the impact on an actual episode. Welp, here come the feels.

About the "On Jasper":

I assume that the ellipses are meant to mean "no, but..."

There's something going on with Jasper

I can't wait to find out what it is

Maybe it means that Jasper is a forced fusion and that's not a real fusion? :v

Kangi

About the "On Jasper":

I assume that the ellipses are meant to mean "no, but..."

There's something going on with Jasper

I can't wait to find out what it is

Maybe it means that Jasper is a forced fusion and that's not a real fusion? :v

Ellipses were added to the post to make it less obvious that he just said a flat "no".

Chariot

Ellipses were added to the post to make it less obvious that he just said a flat "no".
Ellipses either mean that this is an annoying question or that there is a "but". A "no" is pretty definitive. If he wanted it ambigious he would said something like "maybe not" or "probably not".
edit: read Hamlets post. I stand corrected.
Why do people think Jasper is a fusion? Is there anything beyond her eyes that would suggest this?
Her size, the marks on her skin that weren't visible in the hologram in Sworn to the Sword and last but least the irony of her being a kind of fusion.

And let's not forget that she hold herself against Garnet pretty well. And Garnet is a perfect fusion.

My favorite theory is that she was damaged in the gem war for earth and they trief to fix her broken gem with broken shards of other gems. Given their gem shard experiments at the time, it's not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom