• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiN0

Thinking about it last night, I think they really need to drop having the narrative be locked to where Steven is. You can't really say the show is his perspective because it is not subjective enough. So what's the point? It's getting detrimental to everyone but Steven.

That's a very slippery slope to go down. AT started falling apart after they took the focus off Finn and Jake, and it never really recovered.

Kangi

The storytelling being tied to Steven's perspective is one of the most brilliant things about it. It ensures that you don't necessarily know anything important that Steven doesn't (though you can flex your brain and deduce things he hasn't), and allows for exposition to come more naturally. You learn more about side characters when Steven spends a day with them, in which he learns more about their lives and gains a better understanding of them. But at the same time, Steven's known a lot of them for longer than you have, so you get to learn at a pace all your own.

It's why episodes like Rising Tides/Crashing Skies sort of fall apart, and why moments like in Joy Ride do work so well: while you could infer that Steven could easily come to feel like he's being blamed for his mother's death, you didn't know that was the case. And suddenly this viewer surrogate is shown to actually be keeping secrets from you just the same as any other character; I thought that was a brilliant way to show how the character is growing up. I could see changing the perspective of the show as a next step, but I think it's against the spirit of the show entirely.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

That's a very slippery slope to go down. AT started falling apart after they took the focus off Finn and Jake, and it never really recovered.
Eh, I'm not asking for episodes devoted to side characters. Except Connie.
We had a Ronaldo focused episode once. That went well, right?
Ronaldo episodes are not what I'm asking for. That episode is an exception, though. They did try to justify it at the end by showing Steven was watching the video.

Maron

Yeah, I'd much prefer the show continue developing as it is now. I can't say I've really found it detrimental myself.

The storytelling being tied to Steven's perspective is one of the most brilliant things about it. It ensures that you don't necessarily know anything important that Steven doesn't (though you can flex your brain and deduce things he hasn't), and allows for exposition to come more naturally. You learn more about side characters when Steven spends a day with them, in which he learns more about their lives and gains a better understanding of them. But at the same time, Steven's known a lot of them for longer than you have, so you get to learn at a pace all your own.

It's why episodes like Rising Tides/Crashing Skies sort of fall apart, and why moments like in Joy Ride do work so well: while you could infer that Steven could easily come to feel like he's being blamed for his mother's death, you didn't know that was the case. And suddenly this viewer surrogate is shown to actually be keeping secrets from you just the same as any other character; I thought that was a brilliant way to show how the character is growing up. I could see changing the perspective of the show as a next step, but I think it's against the spirit of the show entirely.

Worded brilliantly.

Raxus

There have been a handful of instances the story has dropped from Steven's perspective.

First being Jailbreak and second being Friend Ship (for the first few seconds with Peridot).

At the moment Steven is the ideal perspective since we still have so much to learn about the gems to be interpreted through Steven. I'd say you can still get plenty of mileage out of his perspective while dropping it on the rare occasion to develop a character like we did for Garnet.

Wouldn't call it brilliant but it has been effective in that regard. I just think the show is at the point where it can start broadening the perspectives.
Bullocks. Sure it's not broken but the limitations are becoming even more apparent, such as the recent arc.
Worded brilliantly.
Everything's brilliant when you say it is.

Opto

Banned
I mean, Steven acts as a viewpoint of a kid into an increasingly adult world. I think if you take him away, it's taking the kid element out of the show, and it's a kid's show.

Not that I wouldn't be curious to see a bottle episode of just the gems.

Kangi

Bullocks. Sure it's not broken but the limitations are becoming even more apparent, such as the recent arc.

Actually, this arc was pretty great at showing how it being tied to Steven's perspective gives you a unique look at what's happening. Keystone Motel giving him (and us) a look at Garnet's side of this, Onion Friend doing so with Amethyst's side, and Historical Friction (sorta) doing so with Pearl's side. It gave us a natural way to see how each Gem is being affected (by way of the normal passage of time and Steven spending time with them as he often does), while all the while showing how Steven's being affected, such as his grief and frustration with Garnet splitting up. Not to mention the general discomfort permeating through each otherwise-normal episode.

While the conflict itself wasn't focused on Steven, it wound up giving us the kind of impression we'd get if we were there ourselves instead of him: how upsetting it is when two members of your family fight. I doubt it'd work nearly as well if it was just episode after episode of the Gems working through it alone without Steven grounding it all and giving them a reason to move on. That's the whole point of the show, after all. "Believe in Steven."

I'm waiting for the "you guys blame me for my mom's death" steven bomb

That one is coming

tumblr_inline_nkyyq3TEJv1r7p75z.png

never forget

Holy crap, Amazon is REALLY bad for getting episodes. Friend Ship aired on the 17th and I've officially not seen hide nor hair of it. I know that there's some wait, but I've never ever seen it take two days for an episode to show up!

Kangi

Holy crap, Amazon is REALLY bad for getting episodes. Friend Ship aired on the 17th and I've officially not seen hide nor hair of it. I know that there's some wait, but I've never ever seen it take two days for an episode to show up!

It only uploads in half-hour blocks. If there's an odd number of episodes, the latest won't be uploaded until there's an episode accompanying it. Same thing happened to Reformed.

It only uploads in half-hour blocks. If there's an odd number of episodes, the latest won't be uploaded until there's an episode accompanying it. Same thing happened to Reformed.

Oh jeez, seriously? That's really sloppy :S They should have just split each half into individual episodes like Hulu does.

If they ever did a Steven Universe movie, I really would love it if they made it about Steven running away.from home over perceived feelings of resentment from the gems and the gems trying to find him. That kind of plotline just seems like it's too big, even if they did a two-parter!

NEO0MJ

It just occurred to me how somewhat similar Pearl's relationship with Rose is to Gut's and Casca's relationship to Griffith from Berserk is, though not as severe or as cruel. A soldier who's madly in love and devoted to a leader who doesn't look at them as anything more than a friend at best. IF anything, their slavish dedication is what might be so offputting about them, and when they finally understood their situation took it very hard.

Zubz

Banned
Just caught up. If
Peridot
wasn't already my favorite character, this episode would've cemented her in the role! I'm with everyone on just wanting to see
her captured/heel turn
soon, though. It was amusing seeing
Steven be unflappably polite towards her, and, outside of her first shot, she tried to avoid hurting him until she snapped and started firing wildly at them.
I just love the dorkiness here. You can tell
she's somewhat inspired by Zim, too (Didn't Rebecca used to write Zim fanfics?). Plus, Ronaldo's like Dib, except older, less-goth/more-neckbeard, and wrong 99.9% of the time. I'm not saying Ronaldo episode immediately after Peridot sides with the gems, but...

I also appreciated the nigh-confirmation
at Pearl being a mass-produced Gem.
I know people were disappointed with the Bomb, but I loved it; Historical Friction was the only one that didn't feel fast paced, and even then, I like those "slice of life" episodes. Besides, we all know how this show lacks filler; just wait until its revealed that
the 8-Handed Fusion here wasn't the Temple fusion, but one involving some unknown gems
. But yeah, each of these episodes are great! They still left me wanting more, though it sounds like they're running low on finished episodes. That's the downside to these Bombs, I guess. I'm fine with waiting awhile so they can catch up, but I still want to know what happens as a result of them
taking Peri's foot. I mean, they still have a way to track her so long as she's near a warp, even if the last time was a trap...

It just occurred to me how somewhat similar Pearl's relationship with Rose is to Gut's and Casca's relationship to Griffith from Berserk is, though not as severe or as cruel. A soldier who's madly in love and devoted to a leader who doesn't look at them as anything more than a friend at best. IF anything, their slavish dedication is what might be so offputting about them, and when they finally understood their situation took it very hard.

...You mean Casca and Griffith right?

jwk94

The Bits Episode 2 has been recorded! Podcast will be up later this week.

EDIT:
I look forward to the day when Steven Universe gets a turn-based RPG on consoles or a fighting game. Hell, they could also make a Musou game once we have enough characters. Just let us fight gem monsters in place of mooks.

EDIT:
I look forward to the day when Steven Universe gets a turn-based RPG on consoles or a fighting game. Hell, they could also make a Musou game once we have enough characters. Just let us fight gem monsters in place of mooks.
Attack the Light is already a turn-based RPG, and it is excellent.

EDIT:

Get Attack The Light on mobile. It's a pretty neat Paper Mario inspired JRPG that's cheap too. I do hope we get a sequel eventually though. Maybe with Connie and Lion as party members as well.

Chariot

Seconded!

It's not some cheap cash-in, it's an amazingly fresh game with unique mechanics that utilize the spirit of the show.
Get Attack The Light on mobile. It's a pretty neat Paper Mario inspired JRPG that's cheap too. I do hope we get a sequel eventually though. Maybe with Connie and Lion as party members as well.
I don't know about Lion, he would ignore your commands all of the time :D
But Connie would be nice. In fact, you could make a party of Steven und Connie and have the gems watch over you, thus in the case of you losing a battle the gems jumping in to bail you out.

Psxphile

Thinking about it last night, I think they really need to drop having the narrative be locked to where Steven is. You can't really say the show is his perspective because it is not subjective enough. So what's the point? It's getting detrimental to everyone but Steven.
I can see where that could be viewed as a problem. It wouldn't be so bad to have the focus shift elsewhere, perhaps for a special event. Though I think the creators plan to keep the show mostly Steven-centric for the time-being.

Besides, we all know how this show lacks filler; just wait until its revealed that
the 8-Handed Fusion here wasn't the Temple fusion, but one involving some unknown gems
Unknown? That would be interesting, seeing as it was Pearl whose first-hand account molded that version of the play.

So we talked about how Rose's flag looks like the confederate flag, right?
General Rose Quartz and her loyal band of Susie Rebs leading the charge for their fellow gems to secede from the Great Diamond Republic over a grave difference of opinion? Okay. She does have the air of a sweet southern belle when she's not in battle mode.

Earlier I ran across some choice Ian JQ quotes in an SU thread on SomethingAwful. One of them had him commenting about how Attack the Light was progressing, and he iterated how perfectly the show fit the mold of an RPG. Wish I still had that link...

I don't know about Lion, he would ignore your commands all of the time :D
But Connie would be nice. In fact, you could make a party of Steven und Connie and have the gems watch over you, thus in the case of you losing a battle the gems jumping in to bail you out.
Lion almost made it in but was cut for time. He would have been like a summon that Steven could call for some quick damage, I think.

Also, I like that idea: an adventure that starts with just Steven and Connie, and as they clear areas and the danger increases the other gems join up gradually to fill in the ranks.

Chariot

Actually, thinking about it, I could see a 3D cel-shaded action game where you travel with Connie and Steven as equals with different powersets through some ancient gem city. On basic Connie with Rose's sword and Steven with shield and combinations like Connie using Steven with shield as a steplatter to get to higher place. It would be a nice oppurtunity to expand on gem history and the relationship and power of Steven und Connie. Also let the player switch between the two of them and make a button to have the primary character pull the other one at the arm akin to Ico.

PaulloDEC

I'm really desperate for an Attack the Light sequel. Imagine if different parts of the game had your party members switched out; the Gems are captured/incapacitated, so Steven brings in Greg, Connie and Lion to help out. Greg could ram enemies with his van or assault them with guitar solos. Connie could confuse them with her book smarts or slash them with Rose's sword. Lion could just maul them. It'd be amazing.

Also, the potential for a hub-based 3D action-platformer is off the charts. I've had this image of Steven riding lion through a show-accurate 3D world that I just can't get out of my head.

Actually, thinking about it, I could see a 3D cel-shaded action game where you travel with Connie and Steven as equals with different powersets through some ancient gem city. On basic Connie with Rose's sword and Steven with shield and combinations like Connie using Steven with shield as a steplatter to get to higher place. It would be a nice oppurtunity to expand on gem history and the relationship and power of Steven und Connie. Also let the player switch between the two of them and make a button to have the primary character pull the other one at the arm akin to Ico.

If they could get the AI right on the non-player character, this would be amazing. There's a system in Arkham Knight where during certain sequences you can switch between two playable characters in battles, with opportunities for team-up attacks that utilise the skills of both participants. Something like that could be really neat.

Chariot

Connie could confuse them with her book smarts
Does she actually have book smarts? I know she has the glasses girl character design, but so far she only has shown to be a grandious nerd. Not that you won't learn anything from fantasy novels and stories were dogs fart grenades, but I think she isn't dwelling in science books that much.

PaulloDEC

Does she actually have book smarts? I know she has the glasses girl character design, but so far she only has shown to be a grandious nerd. Not that you won't learn anything from fantasy novels and stories were dogs fart grenades, but I think she isn't dwelling in science books that much.

Fair point. Let's replace that with just slashing them up some more.

NEO0MJ

She does seem to have picked up a lot of info from her mom, though.

Chariot

Fair point. Let's replace that with just slashing them up some more.
Haha, that and she could deliver a bit of savvyness for fantastical stories and traps.

She does seem to have picked up a lot of info from her mom, though.
We didn't see anything about that yet though. Although I didn't read the school comic yet. Btu to my knowledge Connie was only shown reading fantasy novels, playing the violine and tennis, not studying very hard or even going beyound. I think it would be cool to not have be particularly good in school to subvert her typical smart girl look.

jwk94

Oh, I have Attack the Light, never finished it but I have it lol. It's probably the best mobile game I've played, but mobile really isn't the platform for me. If I'm on my phone, it's not to play games, or it's for a short game here and there. ATL didn't really fit that mold. If it were on Vita, it would be better, IMO.

But when I said console, I meant something in the vain of Tales, Type-0, FF15, etc. Those kinds of experiences where you're getting a big world, a lot of content, and tons of people to see and things to do. You could help Jamie with his next play, Sadie and Lars in the donut shop, Sadie's mom delivering mail, etc.

Chariot

Oh, I have Attack the Light, never finished it but I have it lol. It's probably the best mobile game I've played, but mobile really isn't the platform for me. If I'm on my phone, it's not to play games, or it's for a short game here and there. ATL didn't really fit that mold. If it were on Vita, it would be better, IMO.

But when I said console, I meant something in the vain of Tales, Type-0, FF15, etc. Those kinds of experiences where you're getting a big world, a lot of content, and tons of people to see and things to do. You could help Jamie with his next play, Sadie and Lars in the donut shop, Sadie's mom delivering mail, etc.
I don't know, cartoons usually get subpar games with a small budget. I don't think that it could get the money for a game of the scale you wish for.

NEO0MJ

We didn't see anything about that yet though. Although I didn't read the school comic yet. Btu to my knowledge Connie was only shown reading fantasy novels, playing the violine and tennis, not studying very hard or even going beyound. I think it would be cool to not have be particularly good in school to subvert her typical smart girl look.

I actually meant the part where she talked about what marshmallows are made up. Though she probably only knows about that because her mom tells her not to eat them and lists the ingredients as to why.

Fireblend

Banned
The Tales of or Final Fantasy budgets may be a little bit too much, but I think a Steven Universe game in the same vein of Child of Light (UbiArt framework and all), building upon the foundations of Attack the Light would be absolutely brilliant. I love Attack the Light, but considering how damn solid it is as a "Paper Mario lite" and reading up on the discarded ideas like including Lion and Connie and having a explorable Beach City, a new game sounds too good to not dream about. Attack the Light got pretty decent reviews and hopefully since the show's popularity is growing, it will see enough sales for executives to at least consider doing something more. Adventure Time already has plenty of games, and Gravity Falls is getting one for 3DS (from Ubisoft, no less), so I'm sure there's a chance.

Looks good, careful with the line work tho.

What do you mean? I spent probably 6 hours chizleing the line work to make it look as decent as I could lol. I guess I could use the pen tool but that makes things look souless. Also if you're zooming in on the characters I didn't intend for that

Count me among those driven insane waiting for a direct feed version of the extended intro.

Veto. Because...

Oh, well, that's what I was going to say, better said than I will. That works. :)

Everything's brilliant when you say it is.

What's that even supposed to mean?

Psxphile

tumblr_nrrtpitKwD1sp6douo1_540.png

Does she actually have book smarts?

Fusion Cuisine suggests she does more than just read for pleasure:

"Where's this bus taking us?"
"Where ever we end up, we'll find a way to survive. I've been reading about sustainable living..."

And I guess it says something that she was prepared to strike out on her own and away from her parents if push came to shove. There's a story there that needs to be told.

Chariot

Fusion Cuisine suggests she does more than just read for pleasure:

"Where's this bus taking us?"
"Where ever we end up, we'll find a way to survive. I've been reading about sustainable living..."

And I guess it says something that she was prepared to strike out on her own and away from her parents if push came to shove. There's a story there that needs to be told.
Ha, all these little lines that build characters.
I say it's still not definite. This sounds like something a nerd would read up. I mean, 999 made me read Rupert Sheldrakes book about Morphic Resonance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom