• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

lil smoke

Banned
_Rafa_ said:
hope for you that you have great-not-too-risky-long-term stocks.
Right now, I am working with no experience, but just using instinct and fair knowledge of the companies bottom line and potential. I tried to pick stocks that I feel will mature in a years (or 2) time, regardless of the occasional breakdowns. Imagine you bought Apple before it was a beast and sold it the next day to earn a quick 8%. Would hurt to know that it could have been 25%.

Still, I think any method is valid, as long as you know your method/risk and stick to it religiously and with persistence.

I look at it like poker. I could go all in with A-Q (like most people suggest you should) before the flop and might catch someone and win... but my principle is to use discipline, play it safe and realize that I only have a high card. If I stick to that principle, in the end I miss out on a lot of winning hands, but I never lose the final game. While I'm always folded, I study the other players habits. Thus, when I do play my cards, I usually win. Meanwhile, the other players drop like flies. I always come in 3rd or better, I never lose in poker with my strategy (unless I break out of my discipline to try something different!)

and don't tell anyone this please! ;)

gkryhewy

guess said:
hyperbole

Hyperbole based on what news? Someone took profit on a bunch of shares, so the current bid/ask is:

74.75 (200 shares) 75.15 (200 shares) 10:09 AM

Was that it? You should know that NTDOY price changes in a given day don't matter at all to shareholders unless they're buying or selling that day. The price gets reset based on the nikkei value and exchange rate the following morning.

kathode

It's down a bit today so far - some profit taking is to be expected of course. I still think this one is completely safe at least through March. You're going to have a killer holiday season, then you've got Smash Bros in Feb which should be another monster for that quarter while the other consoles basically take the quarter off. No reason to think this is going to trend anywhere but up.

I was looking at this link, btw - http://www.pinksheets.com/pink/quote/quote.jsp?symbol=ntdoy#getQuote

guess

gkrykewy said:
Hyperbole based on what news? Someone took profit on a bunch of shares, so the current bid/ask is:

74.75 (200 shares) 75.15 (200 shares) 10:09 AM

Was that it? You should know that NTDOY price changes in a given day don't matter at all to shareholders unless they're buying or selling that day. The price gets reset based on the nikkei value and exchange rate the following morning.

I was joking. exaggerating

gkryhewy

Cheesemeister said:
Looks like a good buying opp today. Bid: 73.85 x200, Ask: 73.89 x200

I see 74.75 on pinksheets - do you have a better tracker? My broker (zecco) doesn't show NTDOY realtime.

gkrykewy said:
I see 74.75 on pinksheets - do you have a better tracker? My broker (zecco) doesn't show NTDOY realtime.

I've got real-time quotes on E-Trade (omg commission butt rape). Bid: 73.95 x200, Ask: 74.05 x200

Troblin

I'm not sold on CFC. That stock is going way lower IMO.(I remember when i thought 19$ was a decent price like a month ago)

kathode

Playing with Countrywide is like trying to play a 7-2 hand in Texas Hold 'Em. Maybe once all the cards are down you would've made some money, but that doesn't mean you should have played :) Warren Buffett says that we'll be feeling the subprime crunch at least another two years and I'm inclined to believe him. It's true that you can make money in any type of market, but housing and credit seem really shady and risky right now, and not backed up by solid financials. I'd avoid like the plague.

Tarazet

kathode said:
Playing with Countrywide is like trying to play a 7-2 hand in Texas Hold 'Em. Maybe once all the cards are down you would've made some money, but that doesn't mean you should have played :) Warren Buffett says that we'll be feeling the subprime crunch at least another two years and I'm inclined to believe him. It's true that you can make money in any type of market, but housing and credit seem really shady and risky right now, and not backed up by solid financials. I'd avoid like the plague.

Countrywide isn't all mortgages and subprime lending, though. That's what a lot of people tend to forget. And they are VERY undervalued if you look at their fundamentals.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If Nintendo can manage to sell a lot of DSs in China (with a special low price or something like that), then it would be a major incentive for the share's value to rise a lot more. Remember that the more money they make, the more money they can make;)

gkryhewy

NTDOY at another all time high, following another all time high on the nikkei overnight. 77.45 ask - the quest for $80 continues.

koam

gkrykewy said:
NTDOY at another all time high, following another all time high on the nikkei overnight. 77.45 ask - the quest for $100 continues.

*fixed*

I told my friend, a few months ago that NTDOY would finish the year above $60 and she thought i was crazy heh. (they were at $35 at that point).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Stupid analyst downgraded ATVI lol.

Anyway Marvel went up 4.78% today, earnings on Nov. 5.

Nvidia dropped 2.35%.

Research in Motion was up 1.88%, now trading at 122.

Valueclick up 4.21%. Earnings on Nov. 1st.

Northrop Grumman down 7.48% in after hours for some reason, even tho I see no news and it was up 0.65% today.

Nothing really interesting as far as my equities go :p

Milabrega

Ether_Snake said:
Stupid analyst downgraded ATVI lol.

Anyway Marvel went up 4.78% today, earnings on Nov. 5.

I haven't followed Marvel, are they expected to beat expectations? That whole Death of Captain America provded plenty of media coverage was that during this quarter?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm not sure what the expectations for Marvel are really, I forget why I added them to my watchlist:)

Btw I forgot to check on one Chinese stock I am actually really paying attention to; Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd. (STP). They went up 12.73% today. Not sure why.

I'm just getting my feet wet with stocks and all, but so far it's been looking good *knocks on wood*. I'm currently limiting myself to buying game-related stuff only with money I've made through stock investments so that I don't get lazy. This stuff is addictive.

Ether_Snake said:
I'm not sure what the expectations for Marvel are really, I forget why I added them to my watchlist:)

Btw I forgot to check on one Chinese stock I am actually really paying attention to; Suntech Power Holdings Co. Ltd. (STP). They went up 12.73% today. Not sure why.
I actually own share in STP. Up until about 3 months ago it was performing ok, but the last 3 months it has skyrocketed. I believe since it is an alternative energy play, it goes up when oil goes up which explains its huge movements recently.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That was a crazy day.

ATVI and IMMR earnings better be good (especially IMMR)!

CROX is killing me after the bell. Down over 24%. :(

Their earnings actually beat estimates by 3 cents a share and they increased their guidance for 2008, so WTF????

As the price inflated that much? Damn, I guess everyone was expecting them to beat estimates by 10-20% again.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That really sucks. I hope you didn't invest too much in it.

Javaman

Back in the green again. WOOT!
5x6md6u.jpg

Troblin

Maxwell House said:

Their earnings actually beat estimates by 3 cents a share and they increased their guidance for 2008, so WTF????

As the price inflated that much? Damn, I guess everyone was expecting them to beat estimates by 10-20% again.

CROX is a momentum stock. The valuation is completely out of whack. P/E ratio of 53, and forward P/E ratio of 29 is not cheap by any means.

Granted I'm sure the stock will rebound, but any further increases will be purely due to the stock momentum, not valuation.

kathode

Maxwell House said:

Similar to the AMZN situation - Great profits and EPS but the outlook missed the mark that analysts were looking for. Seems like it just barely missed their expectations but the stock got a major hit. Wonder if it's a good buying opportunity now.

Any expectations for ATVI earnings? I'm tempted to try and play it but worried after getting burned by AMZN.

gkryhewy

So is this the bi-monthly 'drop 350 points so short-term traders can profit through the gain-back over the next two weeks' day?

kathode

gkrykewy said:
So is this the bi-monthly 'drop 350 points so short-term traders can profit through the gain-back over the next two weeks' day?

Seems like it. I'm scared to log into my account and see how much money I lost :( Every stock in my portfolio lost today.

Javaman

kathode said:
Seems like it. I'm scared to log into my account and see how much money I lost :( Every stock in my portfolio lost today.

I'm down $1,800 just for today. :eek:P I wish I had the funds to buy buy buy since this is likely just a panic/short term sell off.

Yeah, luckily I have funds available. I plan to buy quite a bit tomorrow (including more Crox on any further pullback).

I have confidence in Crox, and think today's drop was overreaction.

Ether_Snake said:
That really sucks. I hope you didn't invest too much in it.
Yeah, it does. :) Luckily, I wasn't too heavily invested in them, and I bought into them a long time ago so I still have some price appreciation overall.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
kathode said:
Similar to the AMZN situation - Great profits and EPS but the outlook missed the mark that analysts were looking for. Seems like it just barely missed their expectations but the stock got a major hit. Wonder if it's a good buying opportunity now.

Any expectations for ATVI earnings? I'm tempted to try and play it but worried after getting burned by AMZN.

I have some ATVI but I'm not buying more. I bought at 17.something and I'm on the watch for selling.

EDIT: Og btw IMMR beat expected results, turned a profit, etc. Up 9% in after hours, but that's after today's 4% drop. Anyway I'm basically just back at the starting point:lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Javaman said:
I'm down $1,800 just for today. :eek:P I wish I had the funds to buy buy buy since this is likely just a panic/short term sell off.

Try $35 million :D

Also: everyone should just close their eyes and buy Citigroup.

Bought 2 stocks today, so far:

Bought Western Digital (WDC) at open (27.75). I have been wanting to buy WDC for a while and their nice earnings made me dive in. Great company with a great future.

Bought Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD) at 29.33. It's been hit hard recently, but believe in the company's future growth potential.

There are a few other stocks that are almost at my buy price.

Top Bottom