• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Mrbob

So Elon is going to have another Tesla offering? This is how I feel when I see the stock keep going up.

PdCjkMe.gif

News doesn't even matter. It could be bad and the stock will always rebound.

I guess Tesla might be the new Netflix where any type of valuation doesn't matter. Model 3 is going to be a huge test though. If it flops perhaps the stock will finally tank.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think we are already going for a correction, it reached that same high before, even a bit higher.

When AMD did a capital raise last year, it went down briefly and then everyone who was waiting to buy on the dip piled in and it went back up to where it was by the next day.

I expect the same thing to happen with TSLA. If you're going to buy on the capital offering, you gotta pull the trigger quick, like the same day.

I don't think valuation has ever mattered in technology stocks. It doesn't matter for Amazon, or AMD, or Nvidia, or anything else where growth is expected. I mean Amazon used to regularly trade at infinity P/E (not really, P/E can be expressed as negative so you don't need to divide by zero) because they purposely took quarterly losses to reinvest everything back into the company's growth.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
AMD and Nvidia jump is amazing, congrats to anyone that buy in last Friday. Too bad I don't have position on either.

With AMD competing in the gaming market, I think it will affect NVDA since AMD will eat into one of NVDA biggest pie. AMD is going up, so I am not sure if it is a good time to buy now. I have no idea what to do, back to index fund it is.

Incredibly fast. They said they built the platform using high frequency middleware and the trades I've submitted have filled in the blink of an eye

That's nice. My buddy who works at Schwab in Financial management is trying to woo me over. He states he can get me in at no minimum and 60-100 free trades which considering I rarely trade is nice. I'm just holding out on a decision who to move to until I've decided if I'm holding onto my AMD stocks past the next few days.

AMD and Nvidia jump is amazing, congrats to anyone that buy in last Friday. Too bad I don't have position on either.

With AMD competing in the gaming market, I think it will affect NVDA since AMD will eat into one of NVDA biggest pie. AMD is going up, so I am not sure if it is a good time to buy now. I have no idea what to do, back to index fund it is.

I did with AMD, I wanted to invest a year ago but didn't have the knowledge or funds. Didn't want to make that mistake again. I'm pretty happy right now. I'm just debating what I should set my stop at in case there's a sudden turnaround. Basically I'm also a student and I happened to invest my money I set aside for gaming related stuff. I'm remiss to pull my money out now though given the potential outlook for AMD. Any advice?

Maybesew

That's nice. My buddy who works at Schwab in Financial management is trying to woo me over. He states he can get me in at no minimum and 60-100 free trades which considering I rarely trade is nice. I'm just holding out on a decision who to move to until I've decided if I'm holding onto my AMD stocks past the next few days.

One thing to look into is how long those free trades last for. It's pretty standard for brokerage houses to offer somethng like "100 free trades" fineprint: in your first month

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I did with AMD, I wanted to invest a year ago but didn't have the knowledge or funds. Didn't want to make that mistake again. I'm pretty happy right now. I'm just debating what I should set my stop at in case there's a sudden turnaround. Basically I'm also a student and I happened to invest my money I set aside for gaming related stuff. I'm remiss to pull my money out now though given the potential outlook for AMD. Any advice?

To be honest I don't know what to do either. Do you see yourself using the money soon? If so I would cash out.

If you want to hold them for long, your guess is as good as mine. Set a top and bottom limit, and follow it instead of emotion is the only suggestion I can give.

Honestly I feel like I should have just went all-in on BRK.B the moment it became available. Always bet on Buffett, he has literally averaged 19% returns annually for nearly 50 years.

I should convert all my index funds to BRK.B

what's the best way to get in on the transportation industry? I need to make a big transportation investment when i get my paycheck i think, two ETFs come to my mind but curious what say ye. definitely a hole in my portfolio that needs to get plugged

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Honestly I feel like I should have just went all-in on BRK.B the moment it became available. Always bet on Buffett, he has literally averaged 19% returns annually for nearly 50 years.

I was thinking the same. Its crazy, it has out performed S&P 500 almost every year.

WoodWERD

Haha I watched a documentary about him on YouTube a couple weeks ago, and immediately bought BRK.B when it was over.

Usobuko

Banned
I am probably the only one here that owns tuniu shares, a chinese e-commerce platform for travelling. Quarter 4th results just came in, although it miss analysts estimate, the growth is healthy, the gross margin is substantially higher, diversification is successful and it increase it's already #1 market share in online leisure travel industry.

The brand itself is strong and a pioneer in the industry. How long must I wait to see return on my investment is the question, I have been waiting for a year already with $9.00 average price.

Maybesew

what's the best way to get in on the transportation industry? I need to make a big transportation investment when i get my paycheck i think, two ETFs come to my mind but curious what say ye. definitely a hole in my portfolio that needs to get plugged

Railroad stocks like $CSX might work for you

Is it a bad idea to invest in both AMD and NVDA considering they're competitors?
NVidias potential is not because of their PC graphics, but their AI and such for cloud and automotive purposes. I don't think they compete in that area that much. And if the pie gets bigger, they might both profit of course.

Not just banking on one company might be a good idea anyway, you want to spread your risk a bit.

For example, I have no trouble holding both Daimler and BMW stock, but they both make German cars.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
ANF dropped 2.2% today, and another 2.4% after hour, goodbye money, I should had cash out when I gain 6%. Earning call tomorrow morning, this doesn't feel like investing, it felt more like horse racing ~_~.

I bought Twitter at $16 yesterday, what a nice way to lose money. It hurts even more when everyone are celebrating a new high while you are the only one in the group losing money.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
ANF dropped 2.2% today, and another 2.4% after hour, goodbye money, I should had cash out when I gain 6%. Earning call tomorrow morning, this doesn't feel like investing, it felt more like horse racing ~_~.

I bought Twitter at $16 yesterday, what a nice way to lose money. It hurts even more when everyone are celebrating a new high while you are the only one in the group losing money.

wow that's some bad luck lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

My DDD shares fell 10% yesterday, I'm down 73% on it, so don't blame yourself too hard. You live, you learn.

Mrbob

Whew! Go AUPH! Up 44% AH. I needed a win.
Yeah it always feels good when a halt leads to good news. Almost bought under 3 a couple weeks ago but didn't. Damn college costing more than tuition money lol. Got busy and forgot to pick some shares up.

You gonna profit or hold?

ColdPizza

Banned
Yeah it always feels good when a halt leads to good news. Almost bought under 3 a couple weeks ago but didn't. Damn college costing more than tuition money lol. Got busy and forgot to pick some shares up.

You gonna profit or hold?

Gonna hold. I think it has room to run a bit. Then will probably sell half my position and see if this gets partnered or bought out.

67% now in pre-market...thinking about selling some if this topples $7

Usobuko

Banned
Not touching Snap IPO or opening today.

Twitter's ipo, pump and dump, was at the back of Facebook success and recovery. I am never good at playing the stock market or shorting. I tried before a couple of times and even though my losses are minuscule, it still hurt. All I like to do is to pick what I think are winners in their respective field or undervalued stock and then sit for returns. I also like companies in temporary crisis like the recent 2015's Volkswagen or 2016's Wells Fargo.

I usually buy more when my chosen stock drops even lower than my previous buying price.

It's up 14% now. Good for ya if you still wanna cash out. ( I have no idea about this company but if that's ya gut feeling, go ahead )

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
wow that's some bad luck lol

Okay I ranted way too early. The earning call was this morning, they missed expectation, but for some reason stock jump by 12% this morning, I cashed out at $12.90, now it is at $13.42; I pulled out 10 minutes too early, but i got lucky and the earning call gamble pays off at least.

My DDD shares fell 10% yesterday, I'm down 73% on it, so don't blame yourself too hard. You live, you learn.

Fortunately for me my stocks recovers today, sorry about DDD, reading the company profile it really sounds like a potential hit, I guess we are still too early for 3d printing.

But why would you buy Twitter ;_;

I couldn't find another stock to buy, I saw Twitter and thought it would rebound if it start copying Weibo or hire a real full time CEO. Even small stuff like removing the character limits will show that Twitter is willing to change.

They have the user base and popularity, just need to throw away their pride and start copying others. Now I know how investors felt when Nintendo keep refusing to make games for smartphone.

Whelp, my limit tripped at 14.40 for AMD. Ended up making a small amount, really didn't invest too much. I still think the product is great and long term it should do well. But I'm glad it tripped, may re-buy after it bottoms.

Wish I had taken profits when it was $15.50. But It's still a learning experience for me.

Ashhong

Bah, should have sold SNAP at 26 when I saw it. Instead I just watched it slowly fall. Ended up selling at 25.79. Oh well, learning experience for me as well.

Mrbob

Curious to see which way Snap goes. Faded before close today. Good luck to those who have it but I'm going to sit this one on the sidelines.

Plus the fact there are no voting rights and Snap gave retail the cold shoulder for the IPO. Only institutions could buy before today I believe.

Maybesew

If anyone is interested in getting started with trading options, Tasty Works just started a referral program.

http://bit.ly/tastyworks

750 referrals and you get a Tesla lol

Anyways, it's definitely the best trading software when it comes to options, lowest commissions, and zero commission on closing trades

sales pitch aside, i'm always up for talking about the basics of how to trade options to increase your probability of profitable trades as opposed to lottery ticket strats like the recent reddit thread on apple earnings

Snap Inc. is up another +10% as of now lol. Edit: But now falling again.

I bought shares of Micron Technology a few weeks ago, this is looking pretty nice so far, hopefully their numbers for the last quarter are good aswell, this would give me a very nice return.

Maybesew

Cocoa futures were near all time lows this week, made some quick money on the bounce, but could have made a ton more if i had waited another day

Top Bottom