• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Mrbob

Bah, should have sold SNAP at 26 when I saw it. Instead I just watched it slowly fall. Ended up selling at 25.79. Oh well, learning experience for me as well.
The freefall might have begun so you could have been well off to sell Snap when you did.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I hope you guys weren't too greedy and sold your SNAP. Because as expected, its down 22% in last 2 days.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm finding nothing to invest in, everything is quite up past their 200 day moving average. Boring.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
GAF, I got into the market in order to turn 37k into 52k. My portfolio value is at 60k at the moment. If I wanted to make significant money off dividends, what would I do with 60k?

I'm hesitant to sell my Apple stock before the Trump administration implements the corporate tax cuts and congress moves towards a tax holiday allowing companies to repatriate. Both these things, plus the iPhone 8 screams $180+ stock value. Am I wrong?

I'm finding nothing to invest in, everything is quite up past their 200 day moving average. Boring.
Same here, but I decided to buy Expedia shares today.

Analysts are quite bullish on them, they are also bullish on Priceline, their largest competitor.

But I don't expect much profit, looking to sell it with +10% gain.

Sold 1/3 of my AUPH shares at 6.10 to lock in some profit. What a morning.
Man, these pharma stocks are fucking crazy.

You can get rich or loose almost everything lol.

GAF, I got into the market in order to turn 37k into 52k. My portfolio value is at 60k at the moment. If I wanted to make significant money off dividends, what would I do with 60k?

I'm hesitant to sell my Apple stock before the Trump administration implements the corporate tax cuts and congress moves towards a tax holiday allowing companies to repatriate. Both these things, plus the iPhone 8 screams $180+ stock value. Am I wrong?
What do you deem significant money for dividends? 3%, 5%, 10%? If you don't mind looking at Europe, I like the following stocks for dividends:

- INGA (4,8%, banking)
- NN Group (5.5%, insurance)
- Daimler (4.6%, cars)

Or just get a high dividend index fund, although that has some fees of course.

And yes, keep Apple I think. I'd set a stop limit to be sure at a safe margin.

Maybesew

For dividends, look into stocks like T, VZ, ED, MO

They all pay decent

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know any interesting European non-tech stocks? My portfolio is a bit US and tech heavy, so I'm trying to diversify. I'm peering at German car manufacturers like Daimler or VW, but I'm a bit hesistant. Looking for a long position (a few years or so), good dividends are a plus.

ColdPizza

Banned
Thinking of closing out my Panera (PNRA) position at 20-21% gain.

edit: canceled my order...this could be the start of a new run to $240-245...will wait it out.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Does anyone know any interesting European non-tech stocks? My portfolio is a bit US and tech heavy, so I'm trying to diversify. I'm peering at German car manufacturers like Daimler or VW, but I'm a bit hesistant. Looking for a long position (a few years or so), good dividends are a plus.

It just gained a lot today, and at 52 week high, so not sure it is a great buy, but you can check adidas. I personally did not own any, so you need to do some research.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
It just gained a lot today, and at 52 week high, so not sure it is a great buy, but you can check adidas. I personally did not own any, so you need to do some research.

Wow, that spike today is crazy, impressive quarterly results. Will keep an eye on it, thanks for the tip.

I like Daimler and have a bit of it also.

NN Group around € 30 now is a good buy I think, also holding a position.

If you are in it for dividends, maybe look at Unilever. Solid company.

Ahold is also a nice pick, I expect it to continue to grow although it is stuck a bit around € 20 now for some time (they own the largest webshop of Holland and just merged with a Belgium supermarket company). It's my largest position.

ING if it drops back a bit, I don't think it'll stay around € 14 like it is now.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I like Daimler and have a bit of it also.

NN Group around € 30 now is a good buy I think, also holding a position.

If you are in it for dividends, maybe look at Unilever. Solid company.

Ahold is also a nice pick, I expect it to continue to grow although it is stuck a bit around € 20 now for some time (they own the largest webshop of Holland and just merged with a Belgium supermarket company). It's my largest position.

ING if it drops back a bit, I don't think it'll stay around € 14 like it is now.

Thanks, I'll look into these some more. I already saw you mentioning Daimler, NN and ING a few posts ago. Never heard of Ahold or ING though. Unilever is already in my portfolio. Also I just remembered that I already looked at NN back when I got into investing back in 2015.

What's everyone's opinion on Intel as a blue chip pick-up?

I did a quick run-through and found some good things:

1.) Price of the stock falls below the industry range (it is BC, after all)
2.) Modest dividend yield
3.) Company is in great standing by industry standards in terms of assets to liabilities, although the general rule of thumb tends to be that current assets should be at least double current liabilities (here it's about 1.5x)
4.) Funds from operations have remained steady past 5 years (except in 2013, but the've rebounded since)
5.) Positive sales growth the last 4-5 years
6.) Earnings per share has remained relatively steady

My only concern is the increased competition in the marketplace, with AMD and now Microsoft about to unveil its ARM-based chip.

ColdPizza

Banned
It's what I love about them though. The thrill of the ride. When I see people talking about the volitility of etfs I laugh. Those are stable compared to the daily swings in bio stocks.

If you can stomach biotech you can make a ton of money in a short time. And lose a lot too. It's definitely gambling more than investing in my opinion.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
What we doing now is more like playing video poker than investing. If someone really want to invest they can just open a retirement account. The tax saving alone will outperform any fund.

I should open a retirement account =/

Mrbob

What we doing now is more like playing video poker than investing. If someone really want to invest they can just open a retirement account. The tax saving alone will outperform any fund.

Yeah you really should. Most of my money is in retirement accounts but I like to play with a fraction of it on Biotech companies.

I have a personal rule to max out my Roth IRA before buying any individual stocks for the year. Plus I keep my 401k contribution stable every paycheck.

ColdPizza

Banned
Yeah you really should. Most of my money is in retirement accounts but I like to play with a fraction of it on Biotech companies.

I have a personal rule to max out my Roth IRA before buying any individual stocks for the year. Plus I keep my 401k contribution stable every paycheck.

Same...here's what I do.

$400 a month goes to IRA...anything left gets maxed out at the end of the year

11% of my pay gets withheld for 401k

I have a set amount I like to keep in cash in my savings account...anything over that amount gets transferred to my brokerage account for investing.

Maybesew

The trading restrictions on retirements account suck. I'd rather pay taxes and make more profits.

Isn't a ROTH after-tax?

Without the tax benefits, what's the significant advantage of having your employer put your after-tax dollars into select funds over simply investing it in whatever through your own broker?

ColdPizza

Banned
Isn't a ROTH after-tax?

Without the tax benefits, what's the significant advantage of having your employer put your after-tax dollars into select funds over simply investing it in whatever through your own broker?

You're betting the tax rate will be effectively lower now than when you go to withdraw them.

A Roth IRA is a special retirement account where you pay taxes on money going into your account and then all future withdrawals are tax free.

Maybesew

Isn't a ROTH after-tax?

for example, you earn 100K a year in salary now, but when you are 65, your salary is 50K, then your tax rate will be much lower when you are 65.

rezn0r

Complete rookie here. I signed up Tastyworks last week and went to validate a bank account (checking), I clearly remember it saying it would do the usual "two small deposits" thing. They never showed up, it's been at least 7 days. I went back on there and there's no sign of an account trying to be validated under my profile. If I go to add the account, the entire site freezes after picking the bank. Of course I've tried multiple browsers and PCs. Has anyone done this in the past week and encountered this? I should probably just contact them, which I'll do in a little bit today.

On a side note I dumped some "it's already gone"/learning money into Robinhood a few weeks back and I'm down like $9 on AMD after watching it climb and drop. Exciting!

Is there something I can do to counter currency risk?

I'm in Europe but 90% of my portfolio is US-stocks.

If the Euro gets stronger I loose money and if France doesn't vote for Le Pen I think the Euro is going to rise again.

On the other hand, I earned a lot of % in the last months because of the weak Euro / strong Dollar.

tokkun

If the Euro gets stronger I loose money and if France doesn't vote for Le Pen I think the Euro is going to rise again.

On the other hand, I earned a lot of % in the last months because of the weak Euro / strong Dollar.

If you are investing in index funds, you can probably find a Euro-hedged version of the index. The fees on currency-hedged funds are generally a bit higher, but that is to be expected since you are transferring the currency risk to someone else.

If you don't want to use a hedged fund you can set up your own hedging, for instance by shorting a USD ETF. However this exposes you to more short-term risk if the USD appreciates against the Euro; even though you would see a corresponding appreciation in your stocks, you might not want to sell them immediately for tax or other reasons.

Of course the other option would be to diversify your investments so you are not holding so much of your money in USD.

Personally I would not feel comfortable holding 90% of my investments in a foreign currency, period. That is a lot of additional risk you are taking on with no compensation in the form of higher expected returns. And I would tend to agree that current conditions - with the USD relatively strong compared to historical averages - would make me even more wary.

Maybesew

Your best hedge would be to be long euro. FXE is the best ETF for this, or if you have a futures account, you can buy /6E. Depending on how big your account is, the future might be too big for you.

Complete rookie here. I signed up Tastyworks last week and went to validate a bank account (checking), I clearly remember it saying it would do the usual "two small deposits" thing. They never showed up, it's been at least 7 days. I went back on there and there's no sign of an account trying to be validated under my profile. If I go to add the account, the entire site freezes after picking the bank. Of course I've tried multiple browsers and PCs. Has anyone done this in the past week and encountered this? I should probably just contact them, which I'll do in a little bit today.

On a side note I dumped some "it's already gone"/learning money into Robinhood a few weeks back and I'm down like $9 on AMD after watching it climb and drop. Exciting!

Sorry about your issues. I'v never used Tastyworks, so I'm not an expert, but it does sound like a weird problem. As for Robinhood, I've used it some, but I was put of by the long-wait time to withdraw or re-allocate funds. AMD is really exciting and I was worried there initially after that PCGaming review helped to tank the stock but it looks like it's been rebounding since.

I've dumped all my commodity investments in light of the upbeat jobs report and the imminent spike in interest rates. From it's present share price, looks like I wasn't the only one.

Maybesew

For anything, send an email to support@tastyworks.com they are awesome at responding, and you can also do web chat with them. It's the same people, no out sourcing or anything.

I set my account up a few months ago, so I haven't tried it recently, but definitely reach out to support.

fixuis

Hey Guys - First time reading this thread. I am an absoute newbie in investing. Had a few questions.

1) I need a starting point in investing and stocks in general. I do want to learn about it but mostly I want to know whats the best way to invest a 20k investment, do i need to work with an investment expert?

2) Also, How much investment do i need and for how long if i need a monthly return of say $5k dollars? Thanks guys!

Hey everyone,

I'm using SAXO trader and I'm trying to buy S&P 500. Looking for it on the SAXO platform, I only found S&P 500 options. I thought you could buy S&P 500 stocks, did I miss understand that?

Top Bottom