• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock PS4 drive has 408GB usable space. (Read the image in OP)

Kyon

Banned
I know it's kind of a silly thing to complain about but how can memory manufacturers and Sony get away with this? Especially in EU? They are clearly misleading the consumer.

What? No system comes with the exact memory advertised all available to you. They need to reserve it for the system settings and what not

fsckdev

Banned
but you have to install the games...

Physical is still better if your inet sucks or has bandwidth limits because you avoid having to re-download if you delete the game.

edit: and I assume most people's download speed is slower than bluray reading speed

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
itf86TzczLR4c.gif

No one should expect all the space on a harddrive to be usable, but nearly 100 gigs preoccupied is more than I was expecting.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
On both systems you still need to have hard drive space for the games. Both systems install while you play. You can of course delete the game data and it will just reinstall when you put in the disc next.

Also, this isn't too surprising.

Don't forget that marketers also define 1GB as 1000MB. In reality, 1GB = 1024MB (technically that's known as GiB and MiB). Thus, a 500 "GB" hard drive actually has a maximum capacity 465.6 GB, which is what the OS will show.

Thus, the OS is not 100 GB like someone mentioned below. The OS + system apps is 57.6 GB.
No way the OS is more than double the size of 64 bit Windows. 8.

Sounds like 50gb is reserved for the disc installs. Which I'm pretty sure has already been announced.

Riky

$MSFT
These machines should have a minimum of 1tb hard drives as standard, I can see some people filling them on launch day. Its a joke really.

NIN90

What? No system comes with the exact memory advertised all available to you. They need to reserve it for the system settings and what not

Than maybe they should advertise it as such, no?
You and me know how this works, but how would Average Joe know who just got a PS4 for little Billy? Those are the people who get burned by this. They are clearly taking advantage of uninformed consumers and people like us who just accept it as it is.

DBT85

Physical is still better if your inet sucks or has bandwidth limits because you avoid having to re-download if you delete the game.

edit: and I assume most people's download speed is slower than bluray reading speed

BluRay reading speed in the PS4/Xbone is a max of 27MB/s. My 40mb connection caps out at 4.5MB/s. So yes. You would have to have a 240mb connection to download faster than a BluRay can copy data.

OP, please update with the formatted size of 465GB to clear a little of this up.

No one should expect all the space on a harddrive to be usable, but nearly 100 gigs preoccupied is more than I was expecting.

There aren't 100 gigs preoccupied. 500 gig drives only have 465 gigs of space, because marketing thinks a gig is 1000MB and operating systems define it as 1024.

coldfoot

Banned
Not surprising at all.
A 500 GB HDD = 500000000000 bytes in HDD manufacturer jargon. In reality because 1 kb = 1024 bytes and not 1000, that translates to 465GB.
Then you format the disc and that takes away some capacity,then you have the OS, virtual memory, system reserved portion, and its not surprising to go down to 408.

NotLiquid

I'm rather concerned how fast the HDD will get filled up depending on how many games you end up purchasing for the thing.

'500GB' is really 465GB, so the system uses* 57GB? Interesting.

*or at least reserves, as pointed out below.

It's still not correct. The OP title inaccurately states that the stock drive has 408GB of space w/ the OS. It actually is more than that because the twitter user has 3 games installed.

https://twitter.com/cjcool804/status/400334925855215616

No, there's 323GB free space of 408GB because of the games. Check the OP again...

Withnail

It probably reserves 10% of the disk for a swap partition the same as the PS3 does. It's not a 55GB OS that's for sure.

DBT85

It's still not correct. The OP title inaccurately states that the stock drive has 408GB of space w/ the OS. It actually is more than that because the twitter user has 3 games installed.

https://twitter.com/cjcool804/status/400334925855215616

Look at the image in the OP. The free space + games installed = 408GB.

'500GB' is really 465GB, so the system uses 57GB? Interesting.

Well it walls it off. No idea how much it uses. Also I wouldn't be surprised to see that number drop in later firmwares.

8byte

Banned
Than maybe they should advertise it as such, no?
You and me know how this works, but how would Average Joe know who just got a PS4 for little Billy? Those are the people who get burned by this. They are clearly taking advantage of uninformed consumers and people like us who just accept it as it is.

Is anyone really getting "burned"? I mean...let's be honest and not over react.

Mister D

If I replace the PS4 hard drive on day one, how do I get the OS on the new hard drive. Will it be available somewhere for download, and if so, do we know how big it is? Or is the OS on a flash partition on the system that will then install the necessary OS files to the new hard drive once it's formatted?

NIN90

Is anyone really getting "burned"? I mean...let's be honest and not over react.

As I said, I know it's a silly complaint but I still think it's weird how law (especially so given how pro consumer EU law usually is) doesn't step in.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
but you have to install the games...
it's still a "put disc in & play" situation, you only notice a few second install when its not on the HDD
even with instant play you still gonna have to delete games out your library & redownload when you want to play.

As I said, I know it's a silly complaint but I still think it's weird how law (especially so given how pro consumer EU law usually is) doesn't step in.

Then EU should have stepped in ages ago. Protip, when you order 1TB HDDs online...you don't actually get 1024GB of space. Hell you don't even get 1000GB of space. When you order a Mac from the Apple store you don't really get 2TB of space.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The ps4 doesn't necessarily require a full install for all games, just a large one. You might be better off going physical over digital.

Unless the digital versions load faster... then you're screwed because there is no OS-level "install entire game to HD" option.

If I replace the PS4 hard drive on day one, how do I get the OS on the new hard drive. Will it be available somewhere for download, and if so, do we know how big it is? Or is the OS on a flash partition on the system that will then install the necessary OS files to the new hard drive once it's formatted?

When you boot it up with the new HDD, it should go through a formatting and setup process to get the OS on. Just like PS3.

Top Bottom