• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock PS4 drive has 408GB usable space. (Read the image in OP)

jfoul

My PS4 will have larger storage installed the day I buy it. My top choices I have listed below, but I'm leaning more towards an SSHD. The prices should drop once Western Digital releases their WD Black SSHD. The WD Black SSHD is reported to have 16-24gb of flash memory, and Seagate will probably respond with comparable models.

HGST Travelstar (32mb cache 7200 rpm)
Seagate SSHD (8gb NAND flash memory, 64mb cache 5400 rpm)
Western Digital Black SSHD (16-24GB NAND flash memory, cache ??? rpm ???)

I'd rather have no bluray but a full 3.5 inch drive :3 but the 2TB one will probably do.

It's not worth upgrading until you're hitting your storage cap and swapping a fair bit. You'll get much more bang per buck later on when these prices stabilize or 2.5 TB drives start coming out.

So...if I was to purchase a HDD and installed it before booting up my new PS4, how do I get the OS onto the new HDD?

My guess is that there's a some hidden storage in the console itself, though didn't spot any chips during the teardown - we'll probably hear much more tomorrow.

It's not like you'd leave your console on while you swapped the drives - that'd be a recipie for disaster.

PerZona

So I just bought myself a 1 TB SSHD and does anyone knows that when the PS4 arrives, I could just take the HDD out and install my SSHD? Without doing any formatting before or whatsoever right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why the fuck do we need mandatory install? I like the option of the 360.

loading times. The HDD is way faster than the bluray drive, and you need to fill 5-6GB now. If devs couldn't be guaranteed HDD transfer rates you'd be screwed.

RaikuHebi

Banned
loading times. The HDD is way faster than the bluray drive, and you need to fill 5-6GB now. If devs couldn't be guaranteed HDD transfer rates you'd be screwed.
Not to mention it helps with lessening the potential for drive failure and noise.

Is there a noticeable speed difference between the stock 5400rpm HDD and a 7200rpm HDD in the PS4?

Gonna get either a WD Black 750GB 7200rpm drive or a WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm drive and use the PS4 drive for my HP netbook, and I'm leaning towards the faster, but smaller hard drive. With a 750GB (~690GB actual) drive, I'd probably get about 620-630GB free space after the OS install. With the 1TB drive (~940GB), I'd have 840-850GB left.

kyser73

Why the fuck do we need mandatory install? I like the option of the 360.

BD data transfer rate not big enough for the amount of data that needs to be pulled through for big fat next-gen assets.

Unless you want to have experiences similar to those moments in GTAV where the screen freezes as the next chunk of landscape is streamed off the BD all the time.

PLUS - eons long load times.

KORNdoggy

this is why i'm upgrading to 1.5tb day 1. considering this push for digital content (PS+, mandatory installs, MS's attempt at a digital only future) i'm shocked these consoles come with only 500 gig (closer to 400) drives. i appreciate being able to upgrade it myself, but i'd have much prefered sony release higher HDD SKU's that cost more.

Izayoi

Banned
this is why i'm upgrading to 1.5tb day 1. considering this push for digital content (PS+, mandatory installs, MS's attempt at a digital only future) i'm shocked these consoles come with only 500 gig (closer to 400) drives. i appreciate being able to upgrade it myself, but i'd have much prefered sony release higher HDD SKU's that cost more.
Are you sure that 1.5TB drive is 9.5mm tall?

Be careful, if it's a 14 or 15mm drive it will not fit in the PS4.

I bought this drive to replace the stock one. SSHDs aren't going to help much when next-gen games are already pushing 50GB.

genbatzu

are there any 1.5TB or 2 TB HDDs available with a max height of 9.5mm?

only stuff i found had 15mm.. western digital <.<

KORNdoggy

Are you sure that 1.5TB drive is 9.5mm tall?

Be careful, if it's a 14 or 15mm drive it will not fit in the PS4.

I bought this drive to replace the stock one. SSHDs aren't going to help much when next-gen games are already pushing 50GB.

yeah, it's currently the only 1.5tb 9.5mm drive out there. there's a 2tb one being released in the future though.

NolbertoS

Thanks too. Ordered the 1.5 TB version. 2 TB, I think I can manage for the next 3-4 years unless 1.5 TB gets filled up fast, but knowing how quickly my Itunes apps are filling up after a year, 2TB might be a minimum requirement down the road for console storage

Izayoi

Banned
Too bad about the 5400 RPM spindle speed. I'd order it otherwise.

yeah, it's currently the only 1.5tb 9.5mm drive out there. there's a 2tb one being released in the future though.
Was just making sure. One of my friends ended up ordering a 15mm drive because he had no idea about the 9.5mm limit and had to return it.

twl

Banned
For those that plans to plug in new hdd, how do you guys install the OS and apps to the new HDD?

Replace HDD, turn on system -> ps4 will sort the rest and put the OS on it.

Ps3 does the same so no need to do anything but change the HDD and turn the power back on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Replace HDD, turn on system -> ps4 will sort the rest and put the OS on it.

Ps3 does the same so no need to do anything but change the HDD and turn the power back on.

You need to download the PS4 1.5 OS recovery software (900ish MB), and put it on a fat 32 formatted USb stick, in a folder PS4/UPDATE (just like PS3)

Then swap your HDD out, and hold the PS4 power button for 7 seconds until you get to the recovery menu. Select 'reinitialize PS4' (something like that) and it'll install the OS from the USB stick.

Done.

Top Bottom