• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock PS4 drive has 408GB usable space. (Read the image in OP)

This is interesting: https://twitter.com/cjcool804/status/400341972218814464/photo/1

Didn't they say you couldn't use external storage?

Yeah noticed this on the PS4 at work. I am unsure what it is other than assuming exactly what it implies! Maybe you cannot play from USB, but you can backup to it. At least you can shuffle things around and over USB3 it would take no time. Time to tweet yosp!

Edit. Ah yeah it's game saves.

Shocking, I know.

Nobody should be rolling with an OEM HDD for next-gen. Not a matter of if but when you'll be getting your upgrade.

Going to wait a couple weeks until those performance comparison posts/vids start pouring in on 5400 SSHD vs. 7200 HDD on the PS4 and then I'll decide which to upgrade to sometime early next year.

Steel

Banned
That´s for save data from games, same as PS3

Awww, and here I thought they learned something from the vita and storing stuff externally. Oh well, I'm sure they'll allow external hard drives eventually. Or at least I hope. Gonna hold on to the OG harddrive until it becomes clear they won't.

pelican

Seems smart money to buy a decent replacement drive.

Still thinking about the hybrid Seagate. About 90 quid on amazon.uk.

One of the good things about it launching here on the 29th is allowing US GAF to guinea pig the new console so UK/EU GAF know what is the best option;p

Its a good thing that I prefer discs over digital otherwise that would have to be changed out soon. But isn't it true that even discs are going to require massive amounts of hard drive space to play? I don't understand why Sony just won't let me plug an external hard drive into it.

Lady Gaia

I suspect there's a system partition for the operating system, video streaming, etc. There are really less than 60GB unaccounted for.

500GB as measured by hard drive manufacturers is using the true SI meaning of the giga- prefix, but free space is almost invariably measured using binary approximations that should be displayed as 466GiB. Those really are the same number of bytes, no trickery, just different conventions that for some reason the industry won't simplify despite the confusion.

entremet

Its a good thing that I prefer discs over digital otherwise that would have to be changed out soon. But isn't it true that even discs are going to require massive amounts of hard drive space to play? I don't understand why Sony just won't let me plug an external hard drive into it.

All discs must be installed. So yes.

Vashetti

Banned

People still aren't getting this.

It makes no difference. You put in the disc, the vast majority of the content of that disc is then transferred to the HDD.

It makes no difference. You put in the disc, the vast majority of the content of that disc is then transferred to the HDD.

Ok that was what I had thought and its why I asked in the next sentence that exact question. Hopefully then that amount of space will last me a good long while since the PS4 is for exclusives only anyway. I really don't feel like having to change out hard drives a month or two after I get it.

Steel

Banned

I think they are getting it, but it doesn't take long to reinstall the disk compared to digital, especially with playgo. I'll be going both phys and digi myself.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just wonder if Sony went with a percentage of the HDD is reserved like they did with the PS3 no matter the size. It was stupid on the PS3 that it reserved more space on bigger drives than on smaller ones.

It's not that the OS needs 57GB. The suspend/resume feature it going to need to be able to dump the contents of the ram onto the hard drive, so that takes some space. I would imagine that the Game DVR 15 minute buffer will take some space. Then you want to have some reserved for future use. I would expect the Xbox comes in at a similar amount.

Storage space on PS4 seems like a small hurdle. Installing a new HDD isn't a big deal. But I'd much rather prefer external HDD add ons. Is it still the case that PS4 won't handle USB storage?

Finally I found the reference of the stock PS4 hard drive on a GamesRadar video :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp2CgTmUqbw (Upgrade your PS4 hard drive)

It's a Travelstar Z5K500-500 (7mm - HTS545050A7E380)

OTsgVSw.png

I know it's kind of a silly thing to complain about but how can memory manufacturers and Sony in this case get away with this? Especially in EU? They are clearly misleading the consumer.
Well, it is 500GB in decimal, but in binary, its 465GB due to memory being measured by 1024 instead of 1000. 1MB = 1024KB and so on.

What type of hard drive is recommended for the PS4? Looking to upgrade. 2.5 Sata II, (does Sata III work? Any benefits?) 5400 rpm, right?

Dougald

Not surprising as disk manufacturers have been using this definition for years

Should still give me enough space for the first year, I'll hold off on upgrading till then as the price of the larger drives will surely come right down. It's great to see that Sony bother to officially support these upgrades though, looks like a nice easy swapout.

Will upgrade in a few years once the PSPlus games start rolling in, but for now I shall keep the current configuration - games cached can be deleted anyway, and will restart caching once we replay them, so it's not an issue.

madmackem

Someone should tell Sony and MS to do some math. WTF were they thinking going with 500gb

500g is roughly more than what the average user would use over the lifetime of the system, for people who go on forums like this if we want more we will pay for it. I think they both chose the right size, the cost of going 1tb throughout the whole system wouldve added a fair decent cost.

MS: External
Sony: upgrade

Want more? Go buy some

Yeah I will but it's ridiculous when you consider the current GTA V bundle PS3 comes with a 500gb HDD. The PS4 requires caching of every single game you play and games are roughly 50gb so no it's not that I want more. The hard drives are too small. For such a system 1gb should be a minimum. I know how to replace a HDD but the average casual is gonna have a hard time with this.

Edit: And it's even worse on the XB1 since you can't replace it and we don't know how external drives will perform

I think Sony will release different SKU's with larger capacity HDD's in the future. Just like the PS3 with the 20GB and 60GB launch models.

Top Bottom