• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stop Making Me be The Chosen Jesus with a Huge Dick in RPGs (Spoilers for Everything)

Raonak

Banned
I quite like power fantasies myself, as long as it's done well.

Like when you start off as a nobody, but slowly work yourself up to being a guy who ends up killing a god & saving the multiverse.

FStop7

Banned
Blame The Matrix.

As outlandish as your post might sound, I find most of your perspectives perfectly normal in an anomalous sort of way. What you are essentially arguing for is diversified representation of character types and origins. Which is a good fight to fight.

Nah, it goes back so much further than The Matrix. The "chosen one" trope has been around as long as humanity's been telling stories.

Teletraan1

Banned
I mean, FFXII has you play the game from the perspective of a relative inconsequential guy to the story that acts as a perfect fish out of water for the players to learn and understand the world we're playing but everyone bitched about it. It's emasculating to not be the center of the universe because videogames have conditioned us to have all this power fantasies.
It's a damn shame really.

I was going to mention this. You nailed it. People actually complained about this. I found it refreshing.

TheAssist

I think I agree with OT. Yeah. I do. Yes.

Cool.

I personally dont like to be a blank slate.I am not the kind of person who wants to make up a complete character in his mind. I want to play as somebody who is already predefined to a certain degree, so I can try to be him and figure out how he/she would react in a given situation. Also having a predefined character makes for more interesting interactions and choices. Extra Credits did a nice episode on this with the Witcher 3. Basically you could not have this relationship triangle in a dragon age or mass effect game, because it pretty much be impossible to set this up with a blank slate character unless the whole game revolves around this story.

Top Bottom