• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Store Clerk Runs off With a 1M Lottery Ticket - What Would GAF Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

A Texas store clerk pocketed a customer’s winning lottery ticket, cashed it in and left town quick, fast and in a hurry.

After a customer handed the clerk his ticket and asked if the numbers were called, the clerk said no, pocketed the ticket and cashed it in. Apparently, the customer had no idea he had the winning numbers and trusted the clerk to be honest with him. The clerk got away with about $750,000 after taxes when he took the ticket to a lottery claim center in Austin and then had the money wired to a bank account.

Officers believe the clerk went back to his native country of Nepal. We know that 1 million will go a long way there. If convicted, the man could face up to 20 years in prison.

OLD?

I guess he found a Golden Ticket?

What would you have done?

numble said:
More details--the clerk knew the store had a million dollar ticket before the winner came to cash it.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/d...ies/wfaa091021_wz_lotteryfraud.23a1a3176.html
Willis, a maintenance man and father of four, chose his numbers based on family birthdays and played the same slip until it could "no longer be read by the terminal," according to a police affidavit.

"He's a guy living day to day," said his lawyer, Randy Howry, who met with Willis on Wednesday in Austin.
In hindsight, Willis may have missed several opportunities to prevent the ensuing debacle.

He never saw the drawing on TV, he later told investigators, because he didn't know how to find it.

He might have read about the winning numbers but he recently stopped buying the newspaper.

The day after the drawing, when Rahman told Joshi that their store had sold a million-dollar ticket, the clerk laughed and seemed as surprised as everyone else, Rahman said.

But by the time Willis walked in the next day, police said, Joshi had hatched the most dastardly of get-rich-quick schemes.

As he always did, Willis handed the clerk his tickets, and Joshi dutifully handed him back a $2 prize for one of them.

The clerk, according to the affidavit, neglected to mention that another ticket was worth $1 million.

Willis might never have learned of his would-be fortune's misfortune if Joshi's coworkers hadn't sleuthed it out.

Rahman said he and the Lucky Food Store manager got suspicious when Joshi turned in his notice two weeks after the drawing _ saying he was moving back to Nepal to help his cousin with her perfume store.

Alarm bells rang when the men learned that Joshi had claimed the prize from a lottery center in Austin, Texas. In four years, they said, they had never seen him buy a lottery ticket.

The men tried to call Joshi to confront him, Rahman said, but he wouldn't pick up the phone.

At the end of July, two months after the drawing, the Lucky Store manager tipped off the Texas Lottery Commission.

A commission investigator visited the store and, after poring over receipts, determined Willis had bought the winning ticket.

mj1108

SimleuqiR said:
OLD?

I guess he found a Golden Ticket?

What would you have done?

I sure wouldn't have let anyone touch that ticket. People need to learn how to check the numbers themselves.

JCX

Considering I have been in a similar situation, I would not have stolen the money. i probably would have checked numbers online instead of in a store. Isn't there a website with the day's numbers?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Convicted of what? Lying?

Skeezy dude should get away with it, cause the ticket holder is a total moron.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
What would GAF do?
Chase and find the bastard. Wire the money from his bank account to ours and live like kings for a week!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
how would this have been found out though? Did the ticket holder check the numbers later?

Raydeen

I'd take a picture of me holding it first...store it in a nuke proof tin, wear a fucking bullet proof vest on way to results centre (just in case lady luck decides to cruelly piss on me) and NOT PART WITH THE TICKET IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM until I've got my cash.

Dresden

dreamcastmaster said:
So how did the customer find out he had a winning ticket??

He probably saw the dude's face on the Winner page or something.

And yes, if you buy lottery tickets, check the goddamn numbers yourself.:lol

El Papa

I <3 Memes said:
Even if I had to follow him to the tip of the Himalayas, I would hunt that motherfucker down and kill him.
You would kill someone for your own idiocy? (Not you specifically, the person in the OP)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
RubxQub said:
Convicted of what? Lying?

Skeezy dude should get away with it, cause the ticket holder is a total moron.

he stole the ticket, and thus the money. that's theft.

couldn't they freeze his bank account?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
El Papa said:
You would kill someone for your own idiocy? (Not you specifically, the person in the OP)
maybe he should of checked his own numbers, but i know people ask the clerk to all the time though. maybe they expect the clerk to be decently normal dude. i dont think most clerks would do what this one did.

MojoRisin

I <3 Memes said:
Even if I had to follow him to the tip of the Himalayas, I would hunt that motherfucker down and kill him.
The guy who essentially handed 750,000 dollars to a store clerk should be hunted down and killed for stupidity.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MojoRisin said:
The guy who essentially handed 750,000 dollars to a store clerk should be hunted down and killed for stupidity.

no one expects to win nor expects their clerk to be the kind of mega douche that would pocket their ticket if it did win.

MojoRisin

quadriplegicjon said:
he stole the ticket, and thus the money. that's theft.

couldn't they freeze his bank account?
If it wasn't signed and the guy willingly gave his ticket to the clerk then the clerk signed his own name, wouldn't that make the ticket his own and nobody elses?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
MojoRisin said:
If it wasn't signed and the guy willingly gave his ticket to the clerk then the clerk signed his own name, wouldn't that make the ticket his own and nobody elses?

uh. no. he didn't willingly give the store clerk a winning lottery ticket. the clerk basically scammed the guy out of the ticket... which is illegal.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
RiggenBlaque said:
Maybe the store clerk just got flustered and ran because the original guy who won clearly has Vitiligo

if thats true i will find and kill the clerk for him. when i find him atop the himalayas, if he isn't feeding thousands of poor children with his winnings i will put the peak of spikiest mountain through each of his eye sockets.

edit: looking at that picture, if those are the hands of the winner then he did have vitaligo and does look to be around 60~

MojoRisin

-COOLIO- said:
no one expects to win nor expects their clerk to be the kind of mega douche that would pocket their ticket if it did win.
If someone essentially handed you 750,000 dollars and said, "Hey, can you make sure this money is real?" Sad to say it a big percentage of the time people will say "no" and keep the cash for themselves. I think the guy is a 'mega douche' for doing what he did but this is the world, people are fucking idiots and you always always always doubt everything you hear.

and always sign the back of your million dollar lottery tickets.

AVclub

Everything worked out for the best. Do we really need someone as dumb as the original winner to have that much spending money?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MojoRisin said:
If someone essentially handed you 750,000 dollars and said, "Hey, can you make sure this money is real?" Sad to say it a big percentage of the time people will say "no" and keep the cash for themselves. I think the guy is a 'mega douche' for doing what he did but this is the world, people are fucking idiots and you always always always doubt everything you hear.

and always sign the back of your million dollar lottery tickets.
Apparently, the customer had no idea he had the winning numbers
^

MojoRisin

quadriplegicjon said:
uh. no. he didn't willingly give the store clerk a winning lottery ticket. the clerk basically scammed the guy out of the ticket... which is illegal.
If I handed you a dollar and asked you to check if it is real and it was but i said no and kept the dollar, that's me scamming you? That's you scamming yourself out of ignorance.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
AVclub said:
Everything worked out for the best. Do we really need someone as dumb as the original winner to have that much spending money?
no we need a dick theif getting rich.

this is one of those times this forum amazes me.

harSon

Banned
Victim:
9hj88k.jpg

and

Culprit:
11qqn2d.jpg

?

numble

According to an indictment from Travis County, Willis had a Mega Millions Megaplier ticket worth $1,000,008, but the clerk incorrectly told the customer he had won only $2 and sent him on his way.
The clerk lied to the winner to get the ticket.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MojoRisin said:
If I handed you a dollar and asked you to check if it is real and it was but i said no and kept the dollar, that's me scamming you? That's you scamming yourself out of ignorance.
a) still stealing.

b) not every lottery ticket wins.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you think the clerk did nothing wrong then there is something wrong with you

suppose you don't own a tv, dont have a radio and don't read the newspaper. The way many people check their tickets is to go to the store and have them checked. How is it legitimate for the clerk to take your ticket?

How else are u supposed to find out if you won?

numble

MThanded said:
all of you who think the clerk did nothing wrong are dense

suppose you don't own a tv, dont have a radio and don't read the newspaper. The way many people check their tickets is to go to the store and have them checked. How is it legitimate for the clerk to take your ticket.
It is legitimate for the clerk to take the ticket and check, and pay you any winnings under I think $100. It's not legitimate for the clerk to lie about what the winnings are.

MojoRisin

numble said:
The clerk lied to the winner to get the ticket.
Son of a bitch, this clerk is nothing like the God i've been making him out to be.

All seriousness, this was a douche move and he lied to the guy to get the money.

numble

More details--the clerk knew the store had a million dollar ticket before the winner came to cash it.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/d...ies/wfaa091021_wz_lotteryfraud.23a1a3176.html
Willis, a maintenance man and father of four, chose his numbers based on family birthdays and played the same slip until it could "no longer be read by the terminal," according to a police affidavit.

"He's a guy living day to day," said his lawyer, Randy Howry, who met with Willis on Wednesday in Austin.
In hindsight, Willis may have missed several opportunities to prevent the ensuing debacle.

He never saw the drawing on TV, he later told investigators, because he didn't know how to find it.

He might have read about the winning numbers but he recently stopped buying the newspaper.

The day after the drawing, when Rahman told Joshi that their store had sold a million-dollar ticket, the clerk laughed and seemed as surprised as everyone else, Rahman said.

But by the time Willis walked in the next day, police said, Joshi had hatched the most dastardly of get-rich-quick schemes.

As he always did, Willis handed the clerk his tickets, and Joshi dutifully handed him back a $2 prize for one of them.

The clerk, according to the affidavit, neglected to mention that another ticket was worth $1 million.

Willis might never have learned of his would-be fortune's misfortune if Joshi's coworkers hadn't sleuthed it out.

Rahman said he and the Lucky Food Store manager got suspicious when Joshi turned in his notice two weeks after the drawing _ saying he was moving back to Nepal to help his cousin with her perfume store.

Alarm bells rang when the men learned that Joshi had claimed the prize from a lottery center in Austin, Texas. In four years, they said, they had never seen him buy a lottery ticket.

The men tried to call Joshi to confront him, Rahman said, but he wouldn't pick up the phone.

At the end of July, two months after the drawing, the Lucky Store manager tipped off the Texas Lottery Commission.

A commission investigator visited the store and, after poring over receipts, determined Willis had bought the winning ticket.

goomba

Banned
The victim had no idea it was the winning ticket. Loads of people take lotto tickets to lotto outlets to be quickly checked.

The system should alert its a winning ticket. If its anyones fault its the lotto system for allowing the winner to be cheated.

karasu

MojoRisin said:

That was fucking dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom