• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some prick won $1.6b in Mega Millions Lottery Jackpot

Bullet Club

I wonder if he/she would shout me a pizza?

Mega Millions officials said a ticket purchased in South Carolina matches all six numbers in Tuesday night’s drawing. The massive jackpot is the world’s largest ever lottery grand prize.

The winning numbers were 5, 28, 62, 65, 70 and Mega Ball 5. No details on where the winning ticket was sold were immediately available. But the lucky player overcame miserable odds: The chance of matching all six numbers and winning the top prize is 1 in 302.5 million.

It will likely be days or even weeks before a winner steps forward to claim the prize. Lottery officials and financial managers encourage people to take time to map out a strategy for investing their hundreds of millions of dollars, and winners must deal with security concerns befitting someone who suddenly is immensely wealthy. Depending on the state, winners have from 180 days to a year to claim their prize.

The $1.6 billion prize reflects the annuity option, paid over 29 years. However, nearly all winners take the cash option, which for Tuesday’s drawing was an estimated $913 million.

New thread idea: You have received $1.6b, what do you spend it on without going over?

llien

How much would that be after taxes?

PS
Even divided by 29, 1.6 billion is... enough, I'd opt for 29 years option.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I don't know the person but I now hate them with every ounce of my being.

brap

Banned
New thread idea: You have received $1.6b, what do you spend it on without going over?
NwqsK.jpg[img]

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Well, I think I would spend a small fortune for myself and anyone I am close to to disappear. That is the key if you win that much, otherwise bad things are going to happen to you because the crazies will all blame you for them not winning and think they deserve your money.

Nikodemos

How much would that be after taxes?

PS
Even divided by 29, 1.6 billion is... enough, I'd opt for 29 years option.

Are the annuities guaranteed by the federal government or just the state where the ticket was bought? If they're federal-guaranteed, I'd definitely take the annuity. If just state-backed, fuck no, gimmedecassh, as the guy from Fifth Element once said.

DarkestHour

Banned
I'd probably invest or save the rest. I have no clue what I'd need all that money for or could even spend it on. I'm pretty frugal as is.

llien

On buying part: a yacht, not too big, but luxurious.

And then, perhaps, an island or two.

And then spent time on fixing the world, where I could.

lil puff

I would do everything in my power to hide that I had that much money, it would be years before I even told my family.

Just buy the protection/assistance we'd need to lay low, but even with that, how do you find a lawyer or services to even trust? You just became a billionaire - is anyone trustworthy?

harsh words for someone you don't know OP. no way am i telling you if I won. you better hope the winner isnt a gaffer, or else you're prob not getting a cut.

I'd buy more lotto tickets.

Last edited:

TacosNSalsa

St.Jude's childrens and Shiners children hospital wouldn't have to worry about holiday gifts , toys , video games, entertainment etc for a long long time .

Fbh

I'd buy a house for myself, one for my sister and her family and one for my parents. Not giant ones, but regular ones in a good neighbourhood of their choice.

The rest I'd probably put in some account and I'd extract a fixed amount every month that's enough to live comfortably. The first few years I'd probably spend traveling around and then I'd dedicate more time to my hobbies and wait for investment opportunities.

I would probably also spend some money on a gaming project, contact some devs I like and see if anyone is interested in working with me on something if I'm willing to fund the entire project. Nothing AAA though

First thing I would do is buy a lifetime supply of the highest grade weed. Then I'd have my dream home built in a dream location with the fastest internet, the best sound system and the best TV/Projector with the best PC tech available..

Next I would want to open up a nightclub called "Pressure", that has a sound system so powerful that it makes your internal organs feel uncomfortable when the bass lines hit.

Lastly I would create a business empire that doesn't generate profits on greed. Legitimately running Supermarkets etc. that ran on bare minimal profits/broke even so that basic survival needs were much more affordable to people.

highrider

Banned
Insure generational wealth for my family, my son. My brother in law is the most trustworthy guy I know and a lawyer/cpa so I would retain him to manage my money. Would definitely buy a nice beach property for vacation or in my case, life lol. Get a vintage sea master, concentrate on laying low and enjoying my twilight years.

Insure generational wealth for my family, my son. My brother in law is the most trustworthy guy I know and a lawyer/cpa so I would retain him to manage my money. Would definitely buy a nice beach property for vacation or in my case, life lol. Get a vintage sea master, concentrate on laying low and enjoying my twilight years.

Yup, set up my kids, grandkids and great grandkids for an easy life would be the top priority

Pasedo

I wonder how ground up hard working billionaires feel about this. Or perhaps hard working multi millionaires where a billion is still very much out of reach.

hecatomb

Banned
I wonder how ground up hard working billionaires feel about this. Or perhaps hard working multi millionaires where a billion is still very much out of reach.
there are rich people who work even though they don't have to. Some people just like what they do. Like stephen king who wrote more books then anyone, has a ton of money and still writes. Even though he doesn't have to.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Question is, would you take the lump sum which isn’t the full amount or the full amount but over the next 30 years?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
You know those ultimate perks in kickstarters that are a few thousand plus ? You know like get to write the foreword or have the book dedicated to you that kinda shit? I would do stuff like that.

Oh and but the most ultimate spec MacBook ever.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd buy a huge parcel of land, make it a no-flyover territory, build a tall fence around it, move all my friends and family there, and pretend like we're living in a small 19th century town. I'll scare the citizens with stories of haunted monsters living in the surrounding woods to prevent them from escaping .

Top Bottom