• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns releasing on February 28 in North America

Kirie

Via XSEED with a video:
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/822512284085809152

More info, including details on the Mario costumes from Gematsu:
http://gematsu.com/2017/01/story-seasons-trio-towns-launches-february-28-north-america

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns will launch for 3DS in North America on February 28, publisher XSEED Games announced. It will cost $39.99 and pre-orders at participating retailers include a pocket plushie based on the in-game capybara pet.

The Capybara preorder bonus is too cute:

9LQpwAF.jpg

Jacce

Banned
Do we know which is better, this or the last Story of Seasons? Franchise has always been oddly inconsistent.

Kirie

Do we know which is better, this or the last Story of Seasons? Franchise has always been oddly inconsistent.

This one imo is way better than the last Story of Seasons game. I played the Japanese version and had a blast with it.

This is what I said when someone asked me what I liked better about it:

The characters are way more fleshed out in this one. Lots more daily dialogue, an insane amount of town events, your character has an actual family this time around, etc

The farming is good but it's always the characters that keep me coming back, and this title excels compared to the last SoS imo. The three towns keep it from getting boring and feel much more alive. There's like 43 villagers if I remember correctly, and I loved most of them (especially the kid characters, they are adorable)

Also one of the best things is that every single flower (heart) level has it's own event. So instead of the normal 4 you'd see per character, there's one for each color. You can see 5 before dating too which is great.

Anyways I'd list more but I'm on my cell, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them about it!

Cons about it are no rivals, mining still sucks and cooking isn't as good as the older titles imo

Lexxism

So if Stardew Valley was like 10/10 what i want from a game in this genre, how does Story of Seasons stack up?
11/10 :p

Based on the first one I played, I definitely enjoyed it. Put up more than 80 hours on it. I liked the gameplay more than the previous entries. I just don't know if it will be same with the last game

Berordn

So if Stardew Valley was like 10/10 what i want from a game in this genre, how does Story of Seasons stack up?

Only speaking in regards to the first one on the 3DS, probably a 7 or 8. Everything you like is there, but it's bogged down by a lot of other systems you might not be particularly interested in and the pacing is dreadful compared to Stardew Valley.

Lucifon

Any chance of a switch port? Lack of region free on 3ds means we'll probably see this in 2018 in Europe...

ar4757

Pretty sure the release date has been confirmed for February 28th for awhile (I preordered it over a month ago and it always said that)

But sweet another plush, I love that they do stuff like that

Kirie

Pretty sure the release date has been confirmed for February 28th for awhile (I preordered it over a month ago and it always said that)

But sweet another plush, I love that they do stuff like that

That was the placeholder date. A lot of times it moves (it did like 4 times with RF4) but it just so happens this time it was actually correct! XSEED hadn't said anything about the official release date until today :)

ar4757

That was the placeholder date. A lot of times it moves (it did like 4 times with RF4) but it just so happens this time it was actually correct! XSEED hadn't said anything about the official release date until today :)

Oh ok. Now that you mention it you're right, lots of XSEED's games have placeholders that are sometimes off by a couple weeks. February is a good time for me, before the Switch and after Yakuza!

I better buckle down and finish Dragon Quest VIII!

Not sure how many hours I put into the last Story of Seasons game. Real life tends to get a little fuzzy for me when I'm playing for the latest and greatest waifus.

Menitta

How was Story of Seasons 1? I've never played any game like Harvest Moon or something like that but for some reason Story of Seasons was the one I'm the most interested in.

Kirie

How was Story of Seasons 1? I've never played any game like Harvest Moon or something like that but for some reason Story of Seasons was the one I'm the most interested in.

It was pretty good, but I feel like this game improves on almost everything from that game. There's some pretty big annoyances in the last SoS (grinding for the last two trade vendors takes foreverrrrr), lots of content being locked behind how many years you've played in-game, RNG when it comes to certain things like recipes, etc.

If you're going to dive into the series I'd definitely suggest picking up this one.

~~

One of my favorite inclusions in this game, is that if you're busy and don't feel like talking to people, you can press L as you run by them and it counts as talking to them for the affection increase. With having 3 towns and a crazy amount of people to talk to/do jobs for, it's an incredibly welcome feature.

Some other various improvements from the last game:
~Although you still live outside of the towns, the map is compact so it takes you no time at all to the various towns. I hated the run from your farm to town in SoS

~Characters hint more about their likes and dislikes so you don't have to rely on a guide so much

~No more limited inventory in shops, you can buy as much as you'd like. Shops are open longer hours (though Lulukoko's hours are pretty different since they have a siesta midday) and shops that sell essentials like fodder are open daily

~Veteran mode has a pretty good difficulty for those who are used to the series. Makes money and stamina management a lot more important

~The town expansions requirements aren't nearly as crazy as the town vendor ones were in SoS

~No more blueprints you have to handle yourself (I hated these personally) Ludus takes care of all the building and home improvements

~You have an actual full family in this game, and they come visit you from time to time!

~Around 30 villager events that flesh out the villager cast, and you can see 5 events per each bachelor or bachelorette before you go steady with them, and you can actually see friendship events with the same gender candidates that you can't marry, so a good 70+ events you can see in the game. Lots of content!

~No crazy requirements for reverse proposals/confessions

~If you start dating someone and find you don't like them, instead of having to give them hated gifts over and over to make them break up with you, if you befriend Witchie she can lower affection for you instead

~A small new game plus feature

Just off the top of my head :)

I bounced off the last one, but the comments in this thread (and the capybara plush) are making me want to give this one a go. I'll see what the bachelors are like and figure it out from there. I pursued Klaus in the last game and found him to be pretty dull.

Amazingly no Hamtaro is becoming a huge deal breaker for me. Just found out about it. Now I'm thinking of passing on this one.

Hmm...

Kirie

Would there be any interest in an OT for the game? I don't see that anyone has picked it up yet and I wouldn't mind making one, but not sure there's enough people here that would be interested.

(if so definitely give me suggestions for an OT title because I'm horribad at them)

Would there be any interest in an OT for the game? I don't see that anyone has picked it up yet and I wouldn't mind making one, but not sure there's enough people here that would be interested.

(if so definitely give me suggestions for an OT title because I'm horribad at them)

I think there should always be for this series. The community isn't too big here but there still is one and a number of people fly by and ask questions about it since they enjoyed a HM entry in the past so it could inspire more to give the game a shot. I remember a number of us trading friend codes and using the share feature last time around too plus forum discussion can be invaluable for advice, especially for how to unlock features and the most efficient crop/product to manufacture, etc.

Maybe something like:

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns |OT| The one true Harvest Moon is back! Now with 100% more Capybara

Or

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns |OT| The one true Harvest Moon is back! Come for the Capybaras, stay for the waifus and husbandos

Namely I think it's important to always refer to HM in the title since we can't even expect everyone to know about the transition of series and that name honestly will attract more people than anything else.

I'm probably getting the game near launch (might pre-order soon at the last minute :p) and would be interested in an OT. I don't have any suggestions for an OT title, because I'm really bad with them as well. I might think of some, but I can't guarantee they will be good at all. Haha...

Maybe:

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns |OT| Harvest Moon in Everything But Name.

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns |OT| Oh yeah, it's farming time, capybaras!

The last one was because of the Mario costumes, I guess. :p

Kirie

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll start putting stuff together to make us an OT :) Since I've played the Japanese version already I'll definitely be up for helping some folks out with any questions they might have.

Luckily this game isn't nearly as reliant on a guide like the previous game, so I'm hoping that if people were burned by the last game they still give this one a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll start putting stuff together to make us an OT :) Since I've played the Japanese version already I'll definitely be up for helping some folks out with any questions they might have.

Luckily this game isn't nearly as reliant on a guide like the previous game, so I'm hoping that if people were burned by the last game they still give this one a shot.

No problem! Good luck with the OT. I'll be honest that I was very late in getting Story of Seasons and have barely played it. Still enjoy most of what I played after the introduction section and I've been interested in this for a while. Don't know if I'll go back to it for a bit or just get into Trio of Towns. It'll probably be the later knowing me.

Yeah you'll be a huge asset having already played through it. I expect most people interested enough to have played the first one will be curious to glance at this thread and see if there were changes on what they didn't like even if they didn't enjoy it at all. So do as I think you were planning and highlight the improvements in the OP to win those people back as you've posted you feel it's generally improved in all those areas and has far less grinding. Less grinding will always please the masses.

Olimar

Neo Member
Sad to hear about no Hamtaro.

The last developer blog I read about was XSEED debating on whether or not they will bring over the DLC from the Japanese version. Did they ever come to a conclusion on this?

Kirie

Feel free, don't mind at all!

Cher's guide also has a really nice list of new and returning features as well if you'd like to include any of those http://fogu.com/sos2/

Sad to hear about no Hamtaro.

The last developer blog I read about was XSEED debating on whether or not they will bring over the DLC from the Japanese version. Did they ever come to a conclusion on this?
Nope, not yet. I have a feeling they'll wait until after launch to see how the sales are of the game first.

Kirie

Thanks a lot! I tell you what, it is a struggle making an actual OT that isn't just "GO READ THE FOGU GUIDE" in the largest font size available.
Hahah, I believe it! Pretty happy she managed to get her guide up and running with so much info before the game comes out over here. The Fogu forums are going to be crazy (I'm a mod over there) so it helps out a ton :D

I'm really nervous because I haven't ever made a thread on NeoGAF before, much less an OT.

Other than waffling over proofreading it twice a day, it is all ready to go once the 28th rolls around. Unless Kirie wants to collaborate or something?

5 more days, you guys!

Kirie

Oh I'm sure it'll look great! :D I wouldn't worry about it at all

I really hope this sells well so we can get that DLC brought over

Oh I'm sure it'll look great! :D I wouldn't worry about it at all

I really hope this sells well so we can get that DLC brought over

I hope it does the job without being intimidating? Fingers crossed.

I really want that DLC.

Just read on the fogu forum that XSEED is doing a stream of the game today on Twitch? I wonder if they'll announce anything then. Hopefully I'll be able to stay up long enough to see it or watch when I wake up if it gets archived for a little bit.

Top Bottom