• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns releasing on February 28 in North America

daffy

Banned
I mean the least Marvelous could do is let the absorbed Neverland devs work on these series and not shit like Magna Carta Holy Grail

What is the dlc, exactly? Glad we're getting it for you guys. I won't be able to play immediately but thinking of buying it right away regardless to support initial sales. I'll still be lurking and participating in the OT though even before playing. I'll want that invaluable knowledge you guys will be able to provide before I start ;p

I was initially frustrated to not see a single question about brining a proper mine back but then was pleased to see it mentioned for features they'd like to implement in future installments. For the love of god, bring back the type of mine in GOAT HM64! I never understood why they went away from that. It's still pretty damn simplistic but far more interesting and rewarding for the gamer. Nodes are so lame but obviously still worth it for the resources and at least it doesn't take up much of the day to do.

Kirie

Some of the various DLC content off the top of my head:

A few new outfits (including RF4 protag outfits!) a tea party event, cultural event, family event, a new bachelor and bachelorette, Inari gets children implemented (they don't have the ability to have kids in the vanilla game) and start joining in on romantic events as they didn't before, new spouse lines and random villager lines, a Christmas event, sleepover event... lots and lots of new events and extra dialogue!

I actually didn't play any of the DLC content in the Japanese version (was waiting for localization) but the base game is great and has a tooon of content as is. It's just the DLC adds a lot more to that.

Cherubae

What is the dlc, exactly?

There were four DLC that were released after the initial game launch in Japan.

1. Bug fixes, a new picture story at the wandering storyteller, and clothing outfits from a Japan-famous VA who is relatively unknown in North America
2. Bug fixes, added Rune Factory 4 protagonist outfits, more response conversation from the marriage candidates, some tutorial books in the farmhouse bookshelf, some special cultural cut scenes, post-marriage event with your dad, and gender-specific gossip events where the marriage candidates of your same gender get together in your farmhouse to gossip.
3. Bug fixes, unlocked Woofio and MC (Stephanie) as marriage candidates, added Inari to gift/adopt a child if you married Inari as well as added a wedding/anniversary outfit for Inari
4. Bug fixes (again), added extra scenes to the Winter 25 and Winter 31 festivals, new winter-themed clothing like a snowman and kimono, and new pet Cheburashka. It is not expected that Cheburashka will be available in a NA DLC, much like how Hamtaro isn't in the NA game.

Some of the various DLC content off the top of my head:

A few new outfits (including RF4 protag outfits!) a tea party event, cultural event, family event, a new bachelor and bachelorette, Inari gets children implemented (they don't have the ability to have kids in the vanilla game) and start joining in on romantic events as they didn't before, new spouse lines and random villager lines, a Christmas event, sleepover event... lots and lots of new events and extra dialogue!

I actually didn't play any of the DLC content in the Japanese version (was waiting for localization) but the base game is great and has a tooon of content as is. It's just the DLC adds a lot more to that.

There were four DLC that were released after the initial game launch in Japan.

1. Bug fixes, a new picture story at the wandering storyteller, and clothing outfits from a Japan-famous VA who is relatively unknown in North America
2. Bug fixes, added Rune Factory 4 protagonist outfits, more response conversation from the marriage candidates, some tutorial books in the farmhouse bookshelf, some special cultural cut scenes, post-marriage event with your dad, and gender-specific gossip events where the marriage candidates of your same gender get together in your farmhouse to gossip.
3. Bug fixes, unlocked Woofio and MC (Stephanie) as marriage candidates, added Inari to gift/adopt a child if you married Inari as well as added a wedding/anniversary outfit for Inari
4. Bug fixes (again), added extra scenes to the Winter 25 and Winter 31 festivals, new winter-themed clothing like a snowman and kimono, and new pet Cheburashka. It is not expected that Cheburashka will be available in a NA DLC, much like how Hamtaro isn't in the NA game.
Holy crap, that's a lot more substantial than I expected! I thought it'd just be some outfits I wouldn't care about but glad I asked. New dialogue is great and new events amazing. Is the non- outfit oriented stuff free dlc? Haven't seen dlc like added scenes and conversations be priced for any game before haha

Juice

Has anyone from the developer commented on Stardew Valley? I'd be really interested to hear if that lit a fire under their ass or not, because I really don't feel like Story of Seasons (or any of their final HM games) can hold a candle to it. And I've been a huge HM fan since SNES>

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i preordered this, didn't play the first game but heard from someone who imported this one that it's one of the best HM games ever

(I've been playing on and off since the SNES)

JB2448

Has anyone from the developer commented on Stardew Valley? I'd be really interested to hear if that lit a fire under their ass or not, because I really don't feel like Story of Seasons (or any of their final HM games) can hold a candle to it. And I've been a huge HM fan since SNES>
The series producer, Yoshifumi Hashimoto, has been aware of it for some time:
Zack Reese said:
Have you ever explored Steam due to its increasing popularity as a way for Japanese developers making profit in the West, and have you seen Stardew Valley before?
Yoshifumi Hashimoto said:
I have been watching Stardew Valley even before its launch, so I do know of it. For the Steam version or PC version, that is not impossible but I just want to see where the users move. PC is not very friendly to kids. I just want to make sure everyone can enjoy the game when I port to different platforms.

I had to cancel my preorder. I didn't have enough money to pay for it. Which sucks cause I really wanted that plushie. Hopefully someone tries to sell it in the B/S/T thread later.

The lack of Hamtaro kind of helped though. I really like that little hamster!

arlucool

I think the last time I invested myself in a Harvest Moon game was Animal Parade, on the Wii.
Tried Tale of Two Towns, but I don't know... the split in farming Vs harvest didn't click with me, I guess.
I'd love to see something with the artstyle of AWL, not a fan of the overly cute/moe look of the recent games, :(

Stage On

I love how Xseed went ahead and included all the various bug fixes from the dlc straight into the base game so we don't have to wait for them.

The archived stream is broken up pretty badly and it won't load at all on my Twitch app. Anyone know if they're going to be archiving it to YouTube or similar?

DLC being confirmed is seriously good news!

Olimar

Neo Member
Now that the DLC is being localized, I'm thinking about taking a chance on this game to fill my 3DS void until Fire Emblem: Echoes comes out as 3DS' final swan song.

Will Nintendo will press limited physical copies for this game? I would assume so since Switch is in one week and retail shelf space is expensive, but I would rather not rush to pick this title up since the next month is so packed with new games...

Now that the DLC is being localized, I'm thinking about taking a chance on this game to fill my 3DS void until Fire Emblem: Echoes comes out as 3DS' final swan song.

Will Nintendo will press limited physical copies for this game? I would assume so since Switch is in one week and retail shelf space is expensive, but I would rather not rush to pick this title up since the next month is so packed with new games...
If digital is an option for you, consider holding out for a discount during an eShop sale. I know Story of Seasons was knocked to 19.99 last June during E3 because I bought my second copy then.

Don't know how limited the first print run of this will be, maybe try contacting XSEED? They seem to be one of the most openly communicative and helpful companies in the business. With Prime and GCU new release prices you could always just get a copy now if the Switch isn't completely devouring your gaming budget.

I need more farming fanatics so I might just be trying to recruit though. Hah.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it on Amazon to help with initial sales even though I don't think I'll be ready to play it right away at least not much but I look forward to the OT!

Kirie

Holy crap, that's a lot more substantial than I expected! I thought it'd just be some outfits I wouldn't care about but glad I asked. New dialogue is great and new events amazing. Is the non- outfit oriented stuff free dlc? Haven't seen dlc like added scenes and conversations be priced for any game before haha

All of the DLC including the outfits were free in Japan, but for reasons stated here: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns on why they couldn't bring them over for free.

There was a ton of support from the community however, so they went ahead and said they were going to start working on it soon :D

Where they talked about why they couldn't bring over Hamtaro: http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156142265495/story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns-localization-blog

Sadly, Hamtaro will not be in the North American release of the game. I can't get into the specifics of why—the reason is more complicated than the usual licensing fee problems you might expect—but I will say that you'll be hard-pressed to find new, official Hamtaro merchandise on sale in this part of the world. While many remember the character from his TV debut over a decade ago, Hamtaro doesn't really have an official presence in North America anymore.

It goes without saying that we were gutted by this development and tried to keep Hamtaro in. We hate releasing a game that doesn't have all the features of the original version, but in this case our hands were tied. For those of you who were looking forward to raising Hamtaro, I'm very sorry. But even without the little guy, there are still more varieties of pet to raise than ever before. We hope you enjoy all the different ways animals play a part in the world of Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns.

Hamtaro was an incredibly small portion of the game, and even though he's not in it there's a ton of other animals (as listed in that blog post) to choose from.

i preordered this, didn't play the first game but heard from someone who imported this one that it's one of the best HM games ever

(I've been playing on and off since the SNES)

It is one of my favorite Bokumonos now. Then again I came into the fandom pretty late (MFoMT) so I'm not super attached to a lot of the older entries like a lot of people are (never played HM64, for shame, I need to buy a copy on my Wii U now). But I can definitely say while I enjoyed some parts of SoS, Trio of Towns makes all of SoS' problems even apparent. It's solved a lot of issues I had with SoS, and even though it's not perfect of course (mining in the newer games is so shitty) it's really good imo. I think people will be pleasantly surprised.

Top Bottom