• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange and weird buttons on controllers

qrDa1Ua.png

We'll find out what the doug button does next Wednesday

EDIT: FUCK WE ALREADY KNOW WHAT IT DOES MY CANCELLATION BETTER GO THROUGH

DONT WANT TO BE STUCK WITH SOME STICKY FADED PIECE OF SHIT FROM 1999

This is your curse. Your family's curse. Reap what you sow. The relic can only be destroyed at the obelisk, and not without blood.

BD1

Banned
I always felt there must have been some Nintendo exec who just loved the Z Trigger and demanded it be included on the GameCube controller.

Like Z Trigger was some uniquely Nintendo thing that they could not give up.

ps I love Z Trigger and wish it would return. Fuck LZ and RZ. I want Z!

Those were actually late Playstation controllers. The early controllers didn't even have analog sticks.

And the reason was that the analog sticks were just kind of grafted on there halfway through the generation, so there were some potential compatibility issues with early games. That's why they put a button on there so you were able to turn them off.
Sorry, I meant early Dualshock controllers. I remember games being updated to use the DS (like Resident Evil). So, why was it still a button on the PS2 controller? I don't ever remember that being useful.

PSqueak

Banned
Sorry, I meant early Dualshock controllers. I remember games being updated to use the DS (like Resident Evil). So, why was it still a button on the PS2 controller? I don't ever remember that being useful.

PS2 was backwards compatible both ways, it played some PSX games and some games could be played with DS1 controllers (like GTA san andreas, i remember using my PSX controller to play co op with my brother).

atomico

The Atari Lynx having 2 pairs of A & B buttons always seemed kinda funny. Also, separate On and Off buttons.
LAhrzvK.jpg

Then again, it's probably the only southpaw-friendly portable.

Sorcerer

Is there footage of people actually playing on this?

There is footage somewhere of the inventors daughter using it and she is totally fluid and lightning fast playing games and typing with this thing.

I actually had one and it takes a lot of work of work to get used to as one button contains so many characters. for example a is on one side of the button and e may be on the other, then shifting for special characters on the same button makes it more confusing.

I think the trackball may have been too small to be completely useful as well.

I appreciate what the inventor tried to accomplish however.

The Z button wasn't 'awesome' it was a necessity, it was just a replacement for L. The 3 pronged design of the controller was what was weird, and it showed just how stupid it always was as soon as Sony unveiled the dual shock and Sega brought out the 3d controller, both of which did the same thing without having an awful design that required an extra handle and button.
The "Z" button is a 'trigger" button, something that has become industry standard and that every controller can't seemingly exist withouth now a days. Just like what happened when the SNES introduced the shoulder buttons.

Another important thing with Z is the "feelback" it brought. It has specially tactile qualities that suits some genres quite well.

Dam the doug toy. These tiger electronics toys we're the worst.
It was like you thought you had a good game to play but you really didn't.

As for odd buttons and mistakes, I made a video a while back about the xbox one controller, How its was a nice upgrade to the 360 but they messed some things up along the way. lines and squares.
You can see it here

also with the GC controller, I always thought it odd they only had a button on onside and not both

KevinCow

Banned
ZL and ZR on the New 3DS.

I'm pretty sure there's exactly one game that uses those buttons: Xenoblade. And there don't seem to be any games on the horizon that will use them.

ZL and ZR on the New 3DS.

I'm pretty sure there's exactly one game that uses those buttons: Xenoblade. And there don't seem to be any games on the horizon that will use them.
Circle Pad Pro compatible games that use them?

ZL and ZR have a very clever postioning considering the limited space of a handheld portable device. Another nice engeniering touch about them is that they are elevated in relation to R and L. They work better than what is expected just from watching out the weird positioning.

If NIntendo is keeping a sort of traditional setup for their next portable, hopefully they' ll bring back ZL and ZR again. And this time from the get go meaning a lot more games can take advantage of them.

CLEEK

The select button on every controller. That button doesn't select shit.

Metal_Gear_Solid_%28PSX%29_08.png

I never understood why there was an Analog button on the early Playstation controllers.

Because the Dual Analog Controller came out a couple of years after the PS1 launched. Games had to be specifically coded to use it, and were marked as "Analog Compatible".

The 'Analog' button was to switch between the new analog input and the original digital input. Games that weren't analog compatible would have input issues when the controller was in analog mode.

GamerJM

Banned
The select button itself never made much sense to me. Like, in NES games it's used for menu selects, which is much less intuitive than selecting from the menu using a D-Pad and the A or start button. And then after that it's never used for selecting again. But why did they even think such a purpose was a good idea in the first place?

Dude Guy

qrDa1Ua.png

This and every other Doug Button post in this thread has me in fucking tears, I cannot breathe

I always felt there must have been some Nintendo exec who just loved the Z Trigger and demanded it be included on the GameCube controller.

Like Z Trigger was some uniquely Nintendo thing that they could not give up.

ps I love Z Trigger and wish it would return. Fuck LZ and RZ. I want Z!

I believe the Z-Trigger was a late addition. Third parties requested Nintendo add another button to make ports easier and this was their super weird solution.

I am guessing that, once they added a D-pad, it's where this extraneous button eventually went.

Cf0kEWB.jpg

Edit: No, wait, I'm dumb, that must be where Start went.

I believe the Z-Trigger was a late addition. Third parties requested Nintendo add another button to make ports easier and this was their super weird solution.

I am guessing that, once they added a D-pad, it's where this extraneous button eventually went.

Cf0kEWB.jpg

Edit: No, wait, I'm dumb, that must be where Start went.

Nintendo removing their iconic + shaped d-pad from their controller was ballsy, but I am glad that they backtracked on that decision. The start button right below the analogue stick would've been a real waste of space.

photo_3_Alphagrip_ag_5.jpg

The alphagrip. I understand it's supposed to be a keyboard and mouse slammed into a controller... But hot damn

every time I see this thing I laugh my ass off. Never fails. Holy shit

I know this is "strange and weird buttons", but I figured that you guys would enjoy the GOAT keyboard, The Datahand:

It's designed to work precisely with the natural movements of a touch typist on a QWERTY keyboard. The thing is a masterpiece.

if I ever build a mech this is how I'mma control it

Justinh

I know this is "strange and weird buttons", but I figured that you guys would enjoy the GOAT keyboard, The Datahand:

It's designed to work precisely with the natural movements of a touch typist on a QWERTY keyboard. The thing is a masterpiece.

haha oh wow, i remember when i first about this heard of this thing a looong time ago.
I thought it was going to be huge! LIke, you'd be able to type faster or something... Guess not.

Man, there are a lot of strange buttons in here. I just wanted to comment on how much it sucks trying to actually press the options button on the DS4 and the start button on the old vita, but I can't think of any examples of really strange buttons. I've have to let it stew and come back.

Something about the gamecube controller that kinda messed up the "button order" in my mind on nintendo controllers: I had to recondition my thinking to recognize X being on the side, and Y being on the top as opposed to the opposite on SNES. When I think of buttons with letters I think this way now, since it's like that for more controllers with letters now and since (xboxes, dreamcast even if it's flipped) "up/down for y, side/side for x. it's like math"

I still sometimes press the wrong button every now and again on my 3ds when I'm going for X or Y.

Nintendo removing their iconic + shaped d-pad from their controller was ballsy, but I am glad that they backtracked on that decision.

But the result was the worst Nintendo D-pad ever...

qrDa1Ua.png

You need to be given a full member status just for this post full of dedication.

TheYanger

The "Z" button is a 'trigger" button, something that has become industry standard and that every controller can't seemingly exist withouth now a days. Just like what happened when the SNES introduced the shoulder buttons.

Another important thing with Z is the "feelback" it brought. It has specially tactile qualities that suits some genres quite well.

Um, no, it isn't. Triggers are important now because they offer the correct shape to allow you grip due to their analog functionality. The Z button was a button. It's entire existence was just so that you didn't lose a functional button when you played with the analog stick, and the only reason you're considering it trigger-like at all is ebcause the third pontoon was literally slapped on like a mutant third leg and it HAD to be in that shape. The button itself isn't concave like real triggers, nor does it have any analog functionality/play to the pull distance.

It looks weird, but man is it awesome to play racers with. Especially the WipEout games!

For those unaware you twist the controller to turn the car. There is a lot of movement in the analogue twist so you can turn very slow and steadily with it. One of the shoulder buttons and the two red buttons are analogue too.

Looks like this when you turn it:

ramparter

Banned
The select button on every controller. That button doesn't select shit.

Glad it got removed from the DS4. Fuck you, select button.

LOL. I remember keep pressing down to no effect in original SMB to select 2 player mode. Took me a while to find that I needed to press select. I think this is the only time select was actually used to select something.

mapet318

Banned
N64 controller was fine. Comfortable, even. Always funny when you'd see people trying it like this though:

I never understood why people did this on purpose. You can't use the controller like that! Games that primarily used the analog stick usually used the Z button instead of the L button.

Top Bottom