• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strange, spooky, unexplainable shit that's happened to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, the only thing I can think of is from a few weeks ago when I was home alone, quiet in the house when my dads TV turned on by itself. Nobody else was home.

Ive had plenty of opportunities for paranormal shit to present itself as well but nothing else. Ive been alone for the most part walking around Alcatraz from 10pm-7am and nothing even remotely spooky happened. Kind of a bummer really.

Mascot

Might have posted this before. Story from ~20 years ago. Lost in the wilderness around the Great Lakes on a road trip to the US and as a last resort we stopped and asked directions from some Deliverance-style mountain men in the middle of nowhere. Their guns were a bit disconcerting but they were actually very helpful, and one dropped to his knees and gouged a map out of the hard earth with his bare hands.

Fast forward three days and we were in a bar hundreds of miles away and I glanced up to see the same three mountain men in the same clothes staring at us from across the room.

We got the fuck out, stat.

cr0w

Old Member
When I was about 11, we were living on an old Army base near Highland Park, Illinois named Fort Sheridan. The base was established in the 1800s, so most of it was pretty old. Lots of weird stories about it, from a long-dead Chaplain appearing in a photo taken during Christmastime of an empty street to a phantom horse that you could hear and feel rush by you at night by the south gate. The library had been an old hospital during the WW2 era, and the one-room morgue still sat locked up in what became the parking lot. Here's a photo of it before they built the parking lot around it. It was referred to as the "Dead House".

062706pv.jpg

The basement was where they kept the terminally ill and the dying, but after it was converted to a library it was used as storage and the windows were painted black and boarded over. At night, though, you could still see white ovals peeking out of the windows, as if those who had died down there were trying to look out. I saw them myself and even went face-to-face with a few, trying to figure out if it was an optical illusion or a trick of the light, but I could never figure it out.

Now for my personal story.

We lived on the south edge of the base on the shore of Lake Michigan that backed up to a wooded area in a two-story home reserved for enlisted families. They were multi-family units, usually four units to a building laid out individually like townhomes. My bedroom was upstairs and my window faced out into the woods.

We had taken in my stepdad's grandmother, who was in her late '80s and basically bedridden, until we could find a nursing home she wouldn't get herself kicked out of because she was an ornery, mean woman. I had moved into my brother's room next to mine so she could sleep in my room for the time being. Granny had a habit of waking up in the middle of the night and calling for anyone who would wake up to come check on her, because she wanted to make sure that if she was up, no one else was sleeping. We eventually simply began to ignore her most nights because we knew she was just wanting attention.

One night, she sounded different. Scared. My stepdad and I went in to check on her and she said she had seen something in the doorway. A tall, slender woman in a black dress with a white lace collar that had walked into the door and disappeared through the wall that faced the woods outside. We figured that Granny had gotten wise to us ignoring her and decided to make up a story to explain why she was hollering in the middle of the night. She kept on for the next few weeks until we found a nursing home for her and I got my room back.

I've always been a pretty deep sleeper, not easily woken up by anything. Even slept through an earthquake when we were living in California. About two weeks after Granny left, I woke up in the middle of the night and turned over on my side, facing the doorway. In the doorway was a tall, slender woman in a black dress with a white lace collar. She began to walk through my room and disappeared through the wall that faced the woods outside. I pulled the covers over my head and froze for what seemed like hours until I finally fell back asleep somehow. I told my stepdad the next morning that maybe Granny wasn't making stuff up after all and relayed what I had seen the night before. He just shrugged and said her story probably stuck in my head and I hallucinated it when I was half asleep, which wasn't unreasonable.

We lived there for 3 more years until we moved to California in '94, and over the course of those three years I saw her again at least a dozen times. Eventually I figured it was just some sort of replay or a glimpse into the past that somehow can happen if conditions are right, since she never seemed to even know I was there and stuck to the same routine every time.

That sparked a life-long interest in the paranormal, though the more and more I look into it the less I believe in anything supernatural. I just think there are parts of the natural universe we simply don't understand or know about that to us seem supernatural.

I just spent the past 2 days catching up on this thread. I didn't realize it was so old, but still a good read. Hard to tell the real ones from the fake ones though. The human mind is a fascinating thing. Peripheral vision, a child's imagination, or just lacking sleep. It all can make one believe strange things.

I've only had one spooky, unexplainable thing happen to me. I was about 6 or 7 and we lived in a house, with a garage. I don't remember if it was day or night, but I went to the garage to get some toys and when I looked to my right, at the front of the car, there was this person, possibly a child standing there. I think it was wearing white but I surely remember it was headless and was holding a pumpkin head. That freaked me out and I ran back into the house. The fact I can still remember it really proves how much it scared me.

On the strange, but not paranormal side of things, one time in elementary school, it was recess and I, along with several other kids were in the playground playing. All of a sudden, a huge swarm of bees descended upon the playground. Everyone was running. I was on a swing and immediately got off and ran away. I remember the air being really thick and hot. It was also really loud. After I ran far away enough, it seemed the swarm was gone. I wasn't stung nor did I have any bees on me. My heart was still racing though and it still left me uneasy the rest of the day.

Me and some friends were walking through the woods for about an hour at night in the middle of nowhere in our late teens (my friend lived in a rural community). We stopped to smoke or whatever and my one buddy moved his flashlight from the right to the left and it fell on a man that was standing totally still staring at the ground and he had a really strong surprised wide eyed "OH SHIT" look on his face and bolted into the darkness. Didn't get a good look at him but he was nicely dressed. One of the strangest things i have seen and it really creeped us out.

Disxo

Gaf, I can control sleep paralysis at will.
They are always the creepiest experience I have, yet, every time I enter one there is some subtle message.
Kinda like silent hill 2, once I was tied up looking at a familiar room that kinda represented that I am far away from home every detail spoke about something inside of me.
The same happened again, locked on a gym and then in the university.
Its really creepy, why can I travel to those places at will (I know when, I hear a sound in my head after entering Rem), and then come back easily by closing and opening my eyes.

The brain is great, I just felt a presence once, something touching my back and I said "Not this shit again" and it dissapeared.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've had a few things happen to me, but the only one I have "evidence" of is this:

YouTube video

It's hard to see, but watch the video...

It's what I can only describe as lights from a UFO? My sister saw it and called my mother confused (she's the one talking in the video). You can see the lights flashing in a weird pattern, but it's very clear that it's triangular in shape (or that there were 3 separate UFOs).

I remember walking outside and looking up confused because they just sat there flashing erratically. And then they disappeared completely.

I hallucinate a lot at night when I was five or younger. The night after my grandpa died, I hallucinated his coffin next to my bed and the flower wreathes stands leaning across the closet. Freaked me out cause I saw it the whole night and wasn't sure if it was bad luck to get out of bed. Usually my hallucinations would change into something else so I woud just ignore them and go to sleep. And they look just like the world of color water show in Disney Land except projected on the little light in the room instead of water. But that coffin and wreathes were so freaking vivid that I could swear it could open at anytime.

13ruce

Banned
I see weird little colored dots as if they are sort of really small pixels i dunno the fuck it is but i have always had it.

It's literally millions of em.
But they are really really really tiny.

Edit: i found it it's called visual snow (wikipedia).

This is an old story from way back when. I think I was 10 or 12. My dad was a project manager/planner/construction manager who worked on a long contract in Saudi Arabia. Basically he wore all the hats in house construction. Usually on weekends he used to take us to his construction sites and show us what he's working on, and also do some catch up on if contractors/labourers showed up for work, problems, etc - basically we'd stay in the car (my mom and my two brothers) while he'd go and talk to the security, foreman or any manager on site. One such site as we were waiting in the car for him to return, me and my brothers looked out the window and saw silhouette of 3 people on another, much further construction site behind the one my dad went to. They were standing on the roof level which was under work, and we saw their upper bodies, standing very closely to each other. We joked woth each other like, "haha look at those 3 musketeers lol". It was far, but not so much.

Dad came back to car and we were on our way, and he was talking to mom about work stuff while we were still joking about 3 blind mice and stuff. Dad stopped his conversation and nonchalantly asked us what were we talking about, and one of us said "we saw 3 stooges on that house behind the one you went *giggle*". He didn't say anything that day.

Fast forward few years later, we were all going on a roadtrip and we were like, mom and dad, lets share scary stories. It was then where he asked us if we remember the 3 people incident, and we nodded. He then said that that construction site had been abandoned, twice and that there was no one there. Both the times, different security persons abandoned the site after both claiming that site was haunted. They said they saw three disembodied spirits, Djinns they called them. The project never moved forward and the site was demolished.

Before my dad passed away from cancer I asked him if the story was really true, and he said it's exactly what the person at his construction site told him, so it's true.

redlegs87

When I was around 13 I was home with my older sister. She in her room had really nice speaker setup. We were listening to some music while just hanging around. A thunderstorm rolled in and her wanting to be cautious unplugged the speaker system. The thunderstorms intensity slowly ramped up over the next 15 mins and all the sudden there was this white noise coming from somewhere. We thought me way have left a tv on and forgotten about it or who knows what but none were on. Finally we realized the sound was coming from her speakers in her room. We go in her room and make sure it's unplugged and it was. The static noise got louder and louder then this unintelligible deep voice started speaking in what sounded like tongues. We were were pretty damn spooked by now I really wanted to get out of the house but I knew I couldn't because of the storm. Thankfully there was a loud crack of thunder and the lights flickered in the house and the sound stopped. I am 100 percent certain it was unplugged when this happened so I just can't really explain it to this day.

Bakercat

There is one incident that has always bothered me in my life. It happened back in 2011 when I went into surgery for an ACL reconstruction on my left knee. While I was in surgery my mom went out for a smoke when she met a African American woman with a baptist shirt on and holding flowers. They talked a bit and my mom asked her why she had flowers and the woman said she brought them for someone in the hospital having surgery. My mom replied that she also was there for the same reason. The woman then gave the flowers she was holding to my mother and told her that she could have them for me. My Mom when she took them looked down at the flowers and afterwards looked up to tell the woman thank you, but the woman had disappeared all of a sudden. My mom searched all over the place for the woman and asked people at the front desk about her, but no one had seen her. She was shocked to say the least. When I came back and woke up, she told me all about it after I asked why there were flowers in my room. Now, I'm not a religious man at all, but that day had me questioning it.

Arulan

When I was around 13 I was home with my older sister. She in her room had really nice speaker setup. We were listening to some music while just hanging around. A thunderstorm rolled in and her wanting to be cautious unplugged the speaker system. The thunderstorms intensity slowly ramped up over the next 15 mins and all the sudden there was this white noise coming from somewhere. We thought me way have left a tv on and forgotten about it or who knows what but none were on. Finally we realized the sound was coming from her speakers in her room. We go in her room and make sure it's unplugged and it was. The static noise got louder and louder then this unintelligible deep voice started speaking in what sounded like tongues. We were were pretty damn spooked by now I really wanted to get out of the house but I knew I couldn't because of the storm. Thankfully there was a loud crack of thunder and the lights flickered in the house and the sound stopped. I am 100 percent certain it was unplugged when this happened so I just can't really explain it to this day.

Speakers under certain circumstances can pick up radio signals, but they'd still need to be powered.

deo

Banned
My brother and I had a bunk bed when I was 6-7 years old. I had top bunk, he had the bottom. It looked something like this:
br_bed_8600090p~Creekside-Taffy-Twin-Full-Step-Bunk-Bed-with-Desk-and-Chest.jpeg

One night, I had a nightmare and woke up to 2 blank faced paper white men staring at me only inches away from my face. I screamed and hid under the sheets for 2 minutes, thinking it was just post-nightmare illusions, but when I took another peak they were still there. I screamed again and jumped down to the bottom bunk with my brother and started hiding behind me as he was asleep. He woke up when I took a second peak and saw them looking at me while crouching below the top bunk. He shoved me off the bed for screaming and I just laid there under my sheets on the floor until the sky started turning blue. lol

Shortly after my sister died my father woke up in fear after feeling a very strong push on his shoulder.

My mother had a very vivid dream the same night, it took place in my father's bedroom where she saw my sister approach my father and very strongly push his shoulder.

They didn't live together and didn't mention it to each other for quite some time, until one day when they met he brought it up, it had disturbed him a lot. My mother said she freaked out as he described it to her in vivid detail.

My mother has always had very vivid strange dreams, I don't want to say psychic but bordering on something like that.

Not even sure I believe in things of that nature but we can't explain it to this day.

Zukkoyaki

I have one personal story and two additional from my family...

- The first was actually rather pleasant and requires some brief backstory. Growing up, my family had a wonderful family dog, a Black Labrador named Cinder. Every night around bedtime she would kind of watch over us in the hallway until we've all settled in and started to fall asleep before heading to the living room. Specifically, she would lay at the end of the hallway which had four rooms: Bathroom on the left, parents room on the second left, sister's room head-on at the end of the hall and my room on the right. She'd lay down outside of my parent's/sister's room.

Well a couple of years after she passed away, I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I stepped into the hallway and there was enough light in the hallway from the lamp we left on in the living room for me to notice something out of the corner of my eye. It was a black silhouette that resembled Cinder right outside of the rooms in the very spot she always laid down in at bedtime. I actually said, "Cinder?" aloud. It faded after a few seconds. I know I was half-asleep and groggy but that experience felt... comforting. Like our beloved dog was still looking after us.

- This one happened to my dad right after we moved into a new house when I was 3. After living there for a couple of months, he was up late watching TV or something as he was a night person; probably one or two in the morning. He claimed to have heard the faint sound of a radio playing somewhere. He looked everywhere around the house and even walked around outside but could never find the source of it. Supposedly the old gentlemen who owned the house before us used to like to stay up late listening to his radio shows. Apparently this was the only time this ever happened (or that they told me about).

- Lastly is a more recent story also at my parent's house. Something like a year or two ago, my parents, who live alone as my sister and I moved out years ago, came home one evening and found every picture in the house turned upside-down. That one freaked me out a little when I heard it but that was a one-off.

Bossun

Sleep paralysis one time where I thought I saw someone in my doorway looking at me. Couldn't move at all and was like "not on my sleep time motherfucker" and went back to sleep thinking it would go away. It did.

rec0ded1

The year was 1998. Friend went to college about 3 hours from our hometown but his apartment had T1 access to the internet so a couple of weeks before school started for him, two buddies and I went up for the weekend to play quake 2 (I think) online and take advantage of the connection and live in glory for 48 hours as LPBs. We we're pretty broke at the time and didn't take much cash.

Turns out the internet access was restricted and only one pc could connect so we decided to bail early and for some dumbass reason decided to head home at 1am but it was an urge I couldn't fight just needed to get outta there asap. Friends fall asleep and after about 90 mins of driving I realize we had been going in the wrong direction. I turn around and head back but we're fucked there's no way we'll make it back with the gas we have left. So with the needle on E I pull into this scary ass lonely gas station straight out of a horror movie and realize i have no cash since it was spent on food n shit. I wake up the guys and ask if they have any money but they also spent their cash on soda n shit.

Gas guy starts glaring since we're just sitting there n the dark and I start to fucking sweat. He grabs something and starts to get up. I tell my friends who are starting to fall back asleep we're about to have a problem. One of them gets annoyed and says "just use the 10 bucks in your shoe!" I'm like wtf are you talking about? He responds, "dude you woke up last night and starting ranting about how we need to make sure that we have some spare cash and wouldn't tell us why. You were like half asleep and said to not fuck with the ten bucks under the sole of your shoe and went back to sleep"

I pop my shoe off and sure enough it's there. Guy yells "you guys ok?" I say yeah just want to fill up and hold the ten bucks out of the window. He takes it, I fill up and get the fuck outta there. They don't remember any of it just that it took a long time to get home. Trippy shit.

On the strange, but not paranormal side of things, one time in elementary school, it was recess and I, along with several other kids were in the playground playing. All of a sudden, a huge swarm of bees descended upon the playground. Everyone was running. I was on a swing and immediately got off and ran away. I remember the air being really thick and hot. It was also really loud. After I ran far away enough, it seemed the swarm was gone. I wasn't stung nor did I have any bees on me. My heart was still racing though and it still left me uneasy the rest of the day.
Lol happened to me in elementary and Jr high school.

Stasis

Rural as fuck PA. Bucks County. Close to where the recent crazy 4 murders happened actually. Been going there for years. Like 15 years now. I've been driving those roads since I learned to drive. Been with numerous friends, ex-gf's etc. Know the area well. It's dark as hell at night and not much is open, nothing going on.

I'm not some super believer. I don't really have an opinion. I don't scare easily. I always seek logical, scientific explanations to anything. I'm not religious either.

Driving back to my mother's place where we were staying. It's maybe 1am. Tiny road, super dark. Always keep our eyes peeled for deer. Ain't called Bucks County for nothing. And then, two SUPER bright lights, orbs, off to our right through trees, far off. Clearly not on the ground but hovering. Don't think much. Keep an eye out. Then they move fast as HELL, together, parallel to the ground. I stop. We take blurry pics, like every fucking cliche. Yes we had smart phones but it's pitch black and that's the sole source of light and it's moving. And then they go straight up, side by side, faster than anything I've ever seen. Like a fucking movie.

And my gf and I are sitting there going: "WHAT IN THE FUCK?"

It's been like 6-7 years. We don't think about it. Can't explain it. Only thing we've ever freaked out about and we've been all over the place. We're the calmest most rational people ever. Logical, easy-going. No crazy tales. But that shit? If that wasn't some super futuristic military tech no one knows about, then I can't explain it. Not a reflection. Not gas balls. Not balloons. Not anything. Military tech (there IS a base nearby) or ... well, yeah.

I have yet to see something move that fast, and go from horizontal to vertical that quick. All I have is an old pic of a ball of light where it shouldn't be. Prior to that we had taken pics of deer. Wasn't the moon. No idea. Good stuff.

Sleep paralysis one time where I thought I saw someone in my doorway looking at me. Couldn't move at all and was like "not on my sleep time motherfucker" and went back to sleep thinking it would go away. It did.

This I do get periodically, but I've only really gotten audio hallucinations. I whimper. I'm aware of it. My gf wakes me up fully. And then puts her arm on me or around me and I can resume sleep. Contact stops it. If she's not here (works evenings/nights) I can sometimes go through 3-4 bouts of that shit before I fall asleep. I HATE it. I'm not even afraid. I hate the lack of control. I can hear, see, and can't jar myself away, like fighting a current. My whimper turns to a yell and I break free. Fantastic.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Rural as fuck PA. Bucks County. Close to where the recent crazy 4 murders happened actually. Been going there for years. Like 15 years now. I've been driving those roads since I learned to drive. Been with numerous friends, ex-gf's etc. Know the area well. It's dark as hell at night and not much is open, nothing going on.

I'm not some super believer. I don't really have an opinion. I don't scare easily. I always seek logical, scientific explanations to anything. I'm not religious either.

Driving back to my mother's place where we were staying. It's maybe 1am. Tiny road, super dark. Always keep our eyes peeled for deer. Ain't called Bucks County for nothing. And then, two SUPER bright lights, orbs, off to our right through trees, far off. Clearly not on the ground but hovering. Don't think much. Keep an eye out. Then they move fast as HELL, together, parallel to the ground. I stop. We take blurry pics, like every fucking cliche. Yes we had smart phones but it's pitch black and that's the sole source of light and it's moving. And then they go straight up, side by side, faster than anything I've ever seen. Like a fucking movie.

It's been like 6-7 years. We don't think about it. Can't explain it. Only thing we've ever freaked out about and we've been all over the place. We're the calmest most rational people ever. Logical, easy-going. No crazy tales. But that shit? If that wasn't some super futuristic military tech no one knows about, then I can't explain it. Not a reflection. Not gas balls. Not balloons. Not anything. Military tech (there IS a base nearby) or ... well, yeah.

I have yet to see something move that fast, and go from horizontal to vertical that quick. All I have is an old pic of a ball of light where it shouldn't be. Prior to that we had taken pics of deer. Wasn't the moon. No idea. Good stuff.

This I do get periodically, but I've only really gotten audio hallucinations. I whimper. I'm aware of it. My gf wakes me up fully. And then puts her arm on me or around me and I can resume sleep. Contact stops it. If she's not here (works evenings/nights) I can sometimes go through 3-4 bouts of that shit before I fall asleep. I HATE it. I'm not even afraid. I hate the lack of control. I can hear, see, and can't jar myself away, like fighting a current. My whimper turns to a yell and I break free. Fantastic.

Can you share the picture? I'm fascinated.

Blizzard

Banned

The standard explanation suggested for the orb thing is ball lightning, but I've never actually seen it.

Try wiggling your toes for the sleep paralysis thing.

Machina

Banned
I had a moment when I was like 13 years old that I will never forget for the rest of my days (I'm now 27).

I was laying on my trampoline in the backyard with my cousin in late dusk. The stars were visible by that time. Her and I were just chilling there staring up hoping to catch a shooting star or two. I caught something much more interesting than that.

Visually speaking, it LOOKED like a star. A small, white light in the sky, but it moved like nothing I had ever seen. It moved downwards, curved around in a football like motion from right to left, shot back upwards faster than it was travelling downwards then completely disappeared. I tried pointing it out to her and she said she saw it, but I don't think she believed me. We were still kids for all intents and purposes, she probably thought I was pulling her leg, but considering how vividly I remember it I am utterly convinced I wasn't seeing shit.

I have no idea what it was, it certainly wasn't a plane or a satellite or anything of that sort, but from that day on I have never been in doubt that we're not alone.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I had one when I was on work experience(usually a two-week placement while you are studying), in the Docklands (London) for Thames water with my Friend.

the Area was fairly new then and I lived over the south side of the river.
on the last day of work experience, we were let out early. as the Area was fairly newly built up we wanted to explore around.

we were really enjoying just looking around and marveling at the place, we were going to continue.
suddenly I had a weird urge to leave, the kind of urge that if someone offered me a million to stay I wouldn't take it.
I told my friend that I wanted to go.
we got to our station boarded the train.
I called my mum, to let her know I was going home. she was in a panic, said she was glad I am safe, I didn't understand what she was going on about, but then she told me.

there had been an IRA attack in the Docklands and turns out it was the station I go off at to get to the place I had been doing work experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Docklands_bombing

if we stayed later or were let our normal time. I am pretty sure we would have left around 5-ish and been walking to the station when this happened.

I just can't explain how I had that weird , get the fuck out of here feeling.

daTRUballin

It's very late at night where I'm at. What the fuck am I doing reading this thread? I shouldn't be here lol

Some pretty freaky stories in here. I remember reading this thread years ago and I recently tried to find it again but couldn't. Good thing it was bumped so I can read it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom